Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am real excited for mooch II, if I'm understanding what it does right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's a nice day outside so I am going to do the unthinkable and go outside on the day that a video game I want to play released

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I gained half a level fishing in the river while I was in line before my server abandoned the line and just rushed Raubahn

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've gotten to the third solo instance and I can confirm they're all kinda hosed, even the ones that aren't congested

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kanfy posted:

They do the same with Bardam's Mettle which, by the way, is an excellent dungeon. That second boss is 10/10

I look forward to bads complaining that it needs to be nerfed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am sad that stormblood dragoon doubleweaves less than heavensward dragoon, because I press fewer buttons per second

Well, except for the fact that I m constantly spamming my next button during the entire wait

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there any trick to executing Dragon Sight (and Goad I guess) quickly on a controller? After selecting a party member, pressing the button, and then selecting the enemy again the execution time is long enough I'm lucky if I don't clip a GCD

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

My god, the Azim Steppe is gorgeous.

Too bad that's where the plot takes a turn for the kinda dumb, and, as of finishing the level 67 story, it hasn't really recovered

It is gorgeous though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

IcePhoenix posted:

Can you do macros on console? I was browsing through the commands earlier (though I haven't made one yet) and noticed that there's a "/target last target" option so you could do something like /target x /action Dragon Sight /target last target and do the whole thing with one button press.

At least that's how they worked when I played WoW so I'd hope it works the same in XIV

Controller on PC actually but yeah macros work fine. Target last target is a good idea--I have three empty buttons right now so I could even put that in it's own dedicated slot to avoid the issues with macro queueing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sinteres posted:

The solo duty there was possibly my favorite one in the game so far, and I'm fine with dumb as long as it's fun. I liked the 67 plot better than you did too though, so ymmv.

Yeah the MSQ absolutely has gorgeous setpieces, cool fights, and individual cool character moments, I just think the overall story was kind of lacklustre.

At the risk of turning the thread into a CIA document (spoilers from the beginning of the Azim Steppe through Lakshmi):

The whole Nadaam plotline really really felt like it was fundamentally unbelievable as a story device. It's super contrived that this warlike society determines their kings through small-scale combat every few years, AND it's coming up soon, AND it allows foreigners to participate, AND a tribe was willing to let us champion them, AND that tribe wanted to help us out of the goodness of their hearts (since we sure as hell weren't offering anything in exchange). And then after we do it all, the response to "let's go fight for Doma" was "sure we always like a good war". Like, did we even need to do any of that poo poo? Couldn't we just have asked them nicely to fight for us and accomplished the same thing?

Then the liberation of Doma was mostly fine, except that it felt insanely truncated. Like--that was it? The entirety of the Garlean forces in the region were in the castle? Is Doma just a handful of villages and a castle calling themselves a country?

Then when we go back to Gyr Abania and it's clear that nothing we did in Doma really mattered. The purpose of the Doman adventure was to force the empire to move troops eastwards, right? So, uh...why do we start winning when the empire has done no such thing? I'm sure that at some point the Chekov's gun of Hien's promise of aid will pay off but as it stands it really seems like the only reason we went to Doma was because we felt like it, not because it was helpful in the slightest.

The Lakshmi segment was legitimately good though and that's where I stopped last night.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reiterpallasch posted:

you know, every ruling class keeping their grip on a multicultural empire has independently hit upon the golden rule that you send your local levies to go oppress somewhere else, partially to remove the problem of divided loyalties, but primarily so that a different ethnicity gets treated as the public face of your oppression, which pretty much eliminates the risk of a coordinated rebellion by itself

Usually the province is governed by a real human being instead of a JRPG villain though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

If the garleans weren't dumb you wouldn't have a chance of winning.

Thankfully they're dumb

Actually Eorzea repelling the Garlean conquest then turning around and liberating the already-conquered parts of Eorzea matches pretty closely with the history of Greece and Persia

If 5.0 is about a war between Limsa and Uldah where Uldah gets resources from Garlemald then we'll know for a fact it's intentional

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Have you considered that maybe SE made a really stupid change to solve a problem that didn't need to be fixed? I have seen very few if any people complain about tanks getting AP from vitality.

The change was almost certainly made to go along with the new changes to the weakness debuff. Though I think they should have just made the debuff be "damage and healing down by 25%/50%" rather than affecting stats directly, which would have allowed tanks to keep their hybrid stats.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I recall a few times where the lack of a min ilvl in HW leveling dungeons caused serious problems but it usually only showed up on second classes because the HW story just handed you good enough gear.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My first time through the level 61 dungeon I got a multipulling speedrun tank, which was an extremely fun experience and I wish I got that for the level 63, 65, and 67 dungeons too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I really hope one of the 4.x dungeons is a hard mode of the level 65 dungeon where all the bosses are the people you fight in the Azim Steppes solo instance

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm honestly disappointed in anyone itt who isn't planning to level at least one class that shoots dragonlasers at things

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reiterpallasch posted:

they didn't lock str right side pieces to dps, did they?

e: because if so, lol @ fister

They did for the new ones but you can still wear the ARR and HW dps rightside

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

So Fister was wearing HW str jewelry? :confused:

How does the Dragoon rotation work out now anyway with the changes to timers and removal of Phlebotomize? In HW it was a kind of elegant HT->CT combo->Phleb->TT combo->repeat, did that change?

I'm only 69 so I don't have Life of the Dragon yet, but the GCD rotation is:

HT->ID->Di->CT->WT->F&C->TT->VT->FT->F&C->WT->repeat. Basically you replace Phlebotomize with getting a fifth hit on each combo. There's a possibility that the crazy dps math people will math out that you don't always want the fifth hit if you don't need it for BotD timer but this is what SE "wants" you to do

Other things: BotD will never ever fall off without big boss invincibility times. Mirage Dive has a similar animation time to the jumps (so you can't doubleweave it), but doesn't lock you in place so you can still dodge during it.

So far, it feels like a dumbed-down version of the HW rotation, as opposed to a reversion to the ARR rotation. I don't think LotD will change that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any non-MSQ dungeons or trials? If so are they obvious to unlock like the aether current quests are so far, at least?

The level 63 dungeon isn't MSQ but it's unlocked by a quest that also gives an aether current so it's pretty obvious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In case you weren't playing during ARR, the DRG rotation there was super slick and possibly my favorite rotation from any class I've played in this game (which, admittedly, isn't even a quarter of them when you factor in number of classes times number of expansions)

The rotation was HT->(Combo)->Ph->(Combo)->repeat, where the combos when Chaos Thrust->Full Thrust->Full Thrust->Repeat. So you'd alternate single hits with combos, where the single hits went in an alternating pattern and the combos went in groups of three. I really thought it was the perfect intersection of complexity with simplicity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

This is the proest click I've followed in quite a while

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Catgirls look like they are drowning in armor in the dragoon AF3 3/10 would not glamour

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope my queue for the dungeon pops so that I may experience it too

fake e: and of course complaining about it online makes it pop as I'm typing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just finished the MSQ. It's a testament to how good 2017 has been for gaming that Stormblood is only my third favorite game this year.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't imagine I will ever get tired of watching people scramble to stack with me when I use dragon sight on them

I'm also a little mad with power in deciding which dps to hit with it

Do astrologians get to feel this all the time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Failboattootoot posted:

The plot of Stormblood is stupid. I'm not done yet, maybe it will get turned around, but it's bad. Bad enough that I had to shitpost about it because it's bugging me!

Everything in Gyr Abania is fine (though not exactly a masterpiece of modern fiction), everything in the east is pretty dumb, yeah. As usual, even during dumb plot there's good lines and cool character moments and fights with amazing spectacles

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how much more engaging does the drg rotation get at 70? because at 61 right now it's actually pretty boring with the SB changes.

I've been meaning to put my drg thoughts down now that I'm 70 and have a few level 70 pieces of content under my belt.

First off, SB drg is HW drg but slightly shuffled around, and with a neutered Geirskogul. If you're expecting anything else, you're going to be disappointed. You lost a bunch of oGCDs with the combat revamp, but regain them back as you level--in particular, Mirage Dive has a de facto cooldown as short as Leg Sweep's used to be.

The basic rotation is just as set in stone as it was in HW (nothing nearly as slick as the ARR rotation). You don't have randomized positionals anymore, but chaining Wheeling Thrust and Fang & Claw together (gained at level 64) goes a long way towards preserving that "oh god I'm on the wrong part of the boss I need to move NOW" feeling that the randomized positionals gave. I'd call the GCD portion of drg mostly a wash in terms of interest (once you hit 64), but with a higher skill floor.

AoE is much more satisfying than before. The BotD changes mean you can fire off Geirskogul without hating yourself, it takes ages for you to run out of TP, and while a two hit combo isn't exactly complicated, it's at least more engaging than Doom Spike forever.

Mirage Dive is a cool move. It's the number one reason why, despite the raw number of oGCDs going down, you actually have one up about as often as before.

Life of the Dragon is a big lukewarm bowl of nothing. Just giving your Nastrond isn't enough. There absolutely needs to be some other aspect to this for it to feel like a real thing--even a 5% damage buff would help a lot with the excitement factor.

Dragon Sight is goddamn amazing. I will be surprised if there are any moves added in the expansion I enjoy more. It adds a whole new layer of gameplay in a really cool way. If I were designing drg, I would have made this the centerpiece mechanic of the expansion, not LotD.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Buy the expansion when you hit 50 so you can continue to gain experience

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

They offer very little. Heavensward will let you roll an Au Ra (race) and Stormblood will let you be Red Mage or Samurai once you hit 50 & complete the 2.0 (or 2.55?) MSQ.

I've seen people say Stormblood includes Heavensward, purchase-wise?

Stormblood includes Heavensward I believe. Red Mage and Samurai require finishing the 2.0 plot, but Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist require finishing the 2.55 plot (because you unlock them in Ishgard).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

It really is a baffling change. Wasn't everybody pretty happy with the "vit is now the damage stat" system? Should've just left it alone

It's probably because of the changes to weakness

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

healers acting as put-upon martyrs is this really weird trope and i have no idea where that attitude comes from. i see it all the time in fan art where the Poor, Downtrodden Healer is being yelled at by the mean dps and tanks despite - naturally - playing their job perfectly, and i see this in FFXIV even more than usual.

i can't remember the last time i saw someone chew out anyone in a dungeon, let alone some conspiracy targeting healers. it feels like a myth people made up after one bad dungeon run

I've never been yelled at in a dungeon when I didn't deserve it

I guarantee you the healers being "persecuted" are all bad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not even sure how they could change the dynamic that makes healer DPS possible without either a) making fights so hard bad healers will wipe you 100% of the time or b) completely reworking the healing spells in a dramatic way that probably ruins all old fights

e: I guess they could just make all healer DPS skills do like 1/20th of their current damage so nobody cares if you're honest because it doesn't matter, and then do...something about solo content

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've definitely let tanks die by DPSing too much and usually we just wipe and the tank passive aggressively doesn't multi pull that time and nobody says anything in chat

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There is like exactly one mandatory fight that will give you trouble as a new tank and it's level 70, if only because your co-tank can main tank for you in 8-man content. Maybe if both of you are new it'd be an issue but even then just following best practices will get you through 90% of stuff without knowing the fight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
DRG 70 has you tank swap with Estinien using elusive jump

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first new fisher quest has a line change based on the Sahagin beast tribe, probably

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
At least this game doesn't do the thing so common in other MMOs where the armor looks like that on female characters and like a head-to-toe set of full plate on male characters

e: the only example I can think of with extreme gender differences is dragoon AF1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Minrad posted:

There's three dungeons this time actually :getin:

The lochs feels criminally underused. I hope it's not another Asyz La, that place felt so lifeless and underused.

The underwater area has at least one spot that looks like a dungeon entrance, at least

Underwater in the Lochs looks super cool in general and I can't wait to be high enough level to spearfish there