Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mazed posted:

So, exactly how do you pronounce "zwerchhau"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wmszxFxhc&t=59s

I mean, they're basically weebs for medieval Europe so they may be wrong like weebs about japan, but they're the only ones who give a poo poo so might as well believe them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

781 on balmung, I consider this a victory (also drat you authenticator, coulda gotten sub 400s)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Granstein posted:

"The first day is always hosed" is demonstrably untrue for other companies. I don't find what's going on here to be that big a deal, but anyone saying this is to be expected doesn't play a lot of MMO's. Blizzard hasn't had a launch anywhere near this bad since burning crusade ten years ago, and SE themselves did better than this two years ago. This is, these days, an uncommon occurrence for an MMO launch from a major publisher.

It'd sure be less of a bummer if PotD didn't kick me every other floor. I'm drat tempted to abandon my black robes for some red ones after toying around with that class for an hour or so.

Uh, were you not around for WoD's launch? It's practically a 1:1 comparison of this.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Granstein posted:

WoD launch wasn't perfect, more due to a DDoS attack than anything else, but I played WoD for most of launch day. I've played maybe an hour of stormblood today, because stability is so bad you can't stay connected for more than ten minutes if you're actively playing the game. It's in no way comparable.

Uh, no. Horde side got megafucked because they had essentially the same type of bottleneck where nobody could build their garrison, so nobody could do any quests past the WoD start area tanaan thing. This was on top of the DDoS attacks and such.

I haven't had anywhere near the stability problems you're describing, and I've been on since the servers opened up. It got a lot worse at like 3 pm pst because east coast people started getting home from work, but it's settled down a lot and was smooth as butter outside of raubhan's hellgate and that short period of disconnect issues.

* I also play on balmung, one of the most populated worlds on probably the most populated data center. If it's as bad as you say it'd be that bad for me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Hommando posted:

RIP using stoneskin II between pulls. They replaced doing something with doing nothing.

stoneskin was garbage and I'm glad you can't keep trying to temper me to titan with it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The best thing stoneskin was ever for was driving pubbie honest healers up the wall by constantly clicking it off.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

According to reddit balmung has queues over 4000 players. :lol:

Yeah I've gone through a 4400 queue. Took like 20-30 minutes, but it wasn't really that bad. I spent my time going through reddit finding the salt and asking people stuck at raubhan's hellgate if futa was gay. Some philosophers on balmung, let me tell you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

One thing I really hope they take away from all of this: Don't make solo instances for MSQ for leveling content anymore, or at the very least make them much much much later in the story. Ambushing random magitek armors should not be a bottleneck for story, jfc.

Also I'm not sure which is funnier, the angry people on reddit or the people defending it on reddit.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

They're not going to change a thing because this is a problem that hopefully won't exist in a few days. All we can do is pray that they maybe spread things out a bit in 5.0 like in Heavensward (which I'm beginning to believe was just a fluke and not intentional), or perhaps that they use all the money they rake in from story skip services and advertising with Mrs. Freshley to upgrade their equipment.

To be honest, I thought it'd fix itself by this morning and it hasn't at all, so I think the scale of the problem is bigger than we think it is. This is a server problem created by a design problem, and I don't expect them to do much involving buying more servers because that's just stupid, but going forward keeping this problem in mind when they design content should be a thing that happens.

And it hurts a little to say this, but I agree with you that HW's smooth launch was likely to just have been a fluke. When was the first solo instance in that MSQ? The hearing?

Also, these loving treants are hilarious. There are so many people in one spot that the treants get brought over, do their slam that slows, and it takes several seconds for the debuff to ripple through the entire group.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

What's even funnier is there's a mini-boss FATE that spawns on the bridge right next to where Raubahn is standing. Screen can't even render half the group fighting the drat bear.

I was in a fate train and my friend was waiting in a stack, and he couldn't see the 3 story tall bear 5 feet away from him because of the culling.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Maybe you don't have to buy more servers, but if they want their game to continue being successful for years to come, they might thing about modernizing their back end to be more scalable. Blizzard did a lot of work on that end over the last few years and it's paid dividends.

I think it's dumb to just give them a pass, part of what you pay for in sub money is maintenance of their infrastructure.

I don't give them a pass, but I'm being pretty realistic about what their options really are. The design team probably doesn't have very much control over how the servers are structured and, more importantly, very much control over buying and implementing More Server (my term to show ignorance for all of the things involved). I have no loving clue what their server architecture is and, most importantly, even if I did I wouldn't understand any of it. I don't criticize the server people because I have no way of understanding what their problem is, but I do have some understanding about game design, and when you design a game without taking into account things like hardware limitations and likely issues from server slams, that's something I classify as a design problem, not a server problem.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

How is Sam for pvp? Might dick around doing that if I hit 60 and can't get through the hell gate still.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Warlords of Draenor.

It did, but not for more than a day. After that the servers were just generally poo poo, which I would really be okay with as long as getting on meant I could progress. This became worse than WoD to me when I woke up this morning and it was still a huge problem.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Alisaie is my spirit animal. Finally someone who speaks my language.

Alphinaud: What do we do if it's a trap?!?!
Alisaie: Show up and beat the poo poo out of everything that tries to spring a trap on us.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Hi, can we talk about how loving stupid it was to change tank AP back to 100% strength AND make jewelry locked by role? Because it's really loving stupid. It makes it so that good tanks will want to keep a set of 270 slaying jewelry (which is still all classes) because it's still best for dps. And they'll keep them either until the substats on fending jewelry outweighs the old slaying jewelry, or until they're getting one-shot through cooldowns.

Or, most likely, until SE goes back and makes all jewelry role-locked.

Given the damage I've seen tanks taking from healing as a scholar, it's still going to be better to have VIT. It feels a lot like they decided to solve the tank/healer dps issue by making it so tanks and healers have to actually invest time and stats into being able to tank and heal, and that's probably a good thing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Part of that problem is that they kinda nerfed actually tanking a bit (at least for PLDs); we no longer have Foresight, and Rampart/Convalescence/Awareness are untraited now. My guess is you're supposed to help back it up by self-healing with Clemency more, especially with Royal Authority now comboing off Riot Blade, but I do feel slightly less sturdy.

PLDs were already tanky as gently caress before. Their problem was that was all they had to offer, so nobody gave a poo poo and took warriors/dark knights instead because THE META. Seems more like they were just brought back down to baseline survivability with the other tanks. Especially considering you can block magic damage now, that's pretty big. Also, I'm commenting on tanks in general. I've done a few different instances with both PLD and WAR, and they're both a lot more squish than I'm used to, although part of that is nobody can completely outgear the content anymore.

I also have no idea if those tanks were just poo poo or something, but I doubt it. It fits with everything they changed about healers (being able to sneak in damage GCDs without issues now, increased healing potency across the board, nerfs to healer aoe dps, except WHM, which I'd bet money is going to happen and was an oversight) that tanks are also generally squishier and have to actually allocate stats to not getting hosed. The emphasis for both of them was taken a little bit away from "basically a DPS" but we couldn't tell it would happen to tanks before because we didn't know how hard things would hit in SB.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the biggest issue with being a squishier tank is that ffxiv is, comparatively, very stingy with its defensive cooldowns. cooldown usage is going to be much more important and much more targeted if our overall survivability is worse and we're going to have to lean on healers way more to make up that gap if the squishier tank paradigm continues into endgame content.

It already was much more targeted. You popped cooldowns for specific tank busters and specific pulls of trash that you'd pull way too much of, from the dev's point of view. Part of the issue was you were too tanky, so parry was actually worthless. We can argue that parry was lovely anyway, but it was essentially the only meldable tank stat, and if you needed it you'd meld it even if it was garbage because the alternative is to just die all the time. Healing in HW was pretty loving stupid. I'd go through entire max level dungeons spending about 95% of my time ignoring everything but doing damage. When you do that, you effectively only have one role and minor variations between them, and that's really lovely.

My bigger point, though, was just that it seems like there's been a bigger shift than people may realize just from looking at class numbers, and we really won't know how it all falls out until a few weeks from now at earliest, so maybe suggesting that 270 str gear will be best in slot is kind of stupid.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Definitely look into grabbing a mechanical keyboard if you can. Sturdier and better tactile feel, plus you can annoy the poo poo out of everyone on voice coms when you mash buttons for your rotation. There's basically no downside, and you should be able to grab a pretty good one for 60-80 bucks. Just don't fall into the trap of buying poo poo with GAMER plastered all over it. I've got a G710 with blue switches, and the G1-6 keys I quite literally never touch, and it's got a bunch of dumb buttons along the top that I don't even know the function of. Ignore all that poo poo and you can get a good keyboard for a good price.

I've heard good things about Das Keyboard, but their poo poo always looked pretty expensive so probably out of the price range you're looking at unless you have a fit of irresponsible spending decisions.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SettingSun posted:

So this G13 gameboard. How does it feel in practice? I am strongly considering one but it's so different I don't want to rely on impulse.

I use a Das Keyboard model S with Cherry Blues :ssh:

I have an ancient Nostromo in my closet somewhere from when I was playing wow many moons ago. I used it like twice and gave up because it was pointless. I had to move my hand off of it all the time to type and do things, there wasn't really a very good and comfortable place for it on my desk because you need both it and the keyboard, and after awhile I felt like one of those rear end in a top hat kids at high school who shows up with a TI-89 instead of the TI-83 and tries to show it off. Your keyboard probably already has better switches and construction quality in it anyway.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I definitely do but I'm trying to not do that this time

Yeah, the main reason I suggest mechanical is I used to use membrane ones, and I'd go through them like one every 2 years or so. I've had this g710 for years now and all I do is occasionally (once a year at most) break out all the keys and pull out a toothbrush to really clean the dust and it's exactly as good as the day I bought it. Buy a good mechanical keyboard for like 60-80 and never have to spend money on a keyboard again.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

At some point yeah, the dps from fending acc substats plus a STR materia will outweigh the 270 slaying ones, especially with grade 6+ materia. The question is where that point lies. If we're still below that point, it would still be better to wear slaying accs if you can survive the fight with them, because any extra HP on top of that is almost useless.

I'm 100% willing to adapt if I actually need the HP to survive, so it's not like I'm being overly stubborn here. In the next dungeon run I did actually put on some vit stuff because we were struggling. It's just that I think it's a really lovely change that didn't need to happen at all.

Honestly, I'd be pissed if I was healing a dungeon for the first time and the tank ran off and grabbed more than one pack. Regardless of stat changes, I feel like that's probably the reason they didn't like you.

Also you can only post about how abused you were by pubbies and getting booted from groups so many times before the rest of us who have never been kicked from a group and have been playing for as long as you pull out the (new) old :thunk:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

orcane posted:

Late, but on top of what Jinh said, my biggest issues so far are:
  • AoE nerf is way over the top for SMN - Bane, Shadowflare, Deathflare all got hit pretty hard, Miasma 2 is gone. I guess you can spam Tri-Bind.
  • The Bane nerf alone is just a numbers thing though, it doesn't affect gameplay directly so I can pretend everything is fine and spread my two DoTs.
  • Shadowflare, yeah it's an oGCD now, but it's also less powerful and you can't move it anymore, which is a major pain unless your tank never moves mobs out of the area.
  • You spend a lot of time just casting variants of Ruin, because you essentially lost two more DoTs with cast time to maintain (Ruin and Shadowflare) and can't use your Aetherflow skills in Dreadwyrm Trance.
  • "single nearest target" is probably the dumbest way to do the new group utility pet buff, so of course that's what they did
  • Sustain is gone, all you have to heal your pet with is Physick, which scales with mind and is awful for summoners - if you ever wanted to use tank pets to tank harder enemies like boss fates, now you don't
Maybe it all balances out in raw numbers with the new upgraded spells, but in general gameplay, summoner feels downgraded in almost every way to me except, yay, you get to summon Bahamut-egi. For some people that will be enough I guess.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm leveling as summoner mainly so that I can play scholar and it takes scholar infinity to kill anything, but it's really kinda lackluster. I do very much appreciate aethertrail attunement never going away and such, but the class feels a lot more anemic than it was in HW. I haven't gotten my last 2 abilities though, so we'll see. I doubt Bahamut egi will make up the difference compared to what they did for BLM and RDM looks great.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wouldn't say you need to sit down and grind your GC rep. Just turn in spare dungeon drops and use whatever seals you make to rank up.

Also if you want to level crafters at all it's worth it to just buy HQ gold starred turn-ins for your GC once they're available. Seals and piles of experience.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

nuru posted:

You left out the gross mutually exclusive nature of Aetherflow and Aethertrail now. You can't use Aetherflow during Dreadwyrm Trance anymore, and if you use Aetherflow while you have any Aethertrail stacks you lose as many AF stacks as you have AT.

It feels pretty bad. I'd rather have the ability to drop AT stacks that we had before than this hamstrung system that feels like it only exists because they wanted to add a shiny UI element.

They probably should have just made little pips over the aetherflow stack pips to show aethertrail attunement, or just have another UI element because ninja and monk both get two. It's just kind of a let down, but I wasn't really banking on summoner very much in SB anyway. Once I hit 70 and get through the MSQ I'm probably never going to touch it again.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was worried when people were saying red mage was simple, and it is dont get me wrong, but it feels really good mechanically and not having to worry about dots and such is good. Swift cast doesn't seem like a good fit but its quick cooldown and double cast means you get to press stronger buttons more often if poo poo just doesn't roll your way. Cant wait to get to 60 to start doing the MSQ with it.

I wasn't really interested in RDM going in, but I think it's become the caster dps I'd play before even BLM now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they left vit as a mainstat they couldn't have changed weakness in the way they did.

Also it's a deliberate tank nerf because eventually we'll all have to use vit gear for stormblood stuff.

It looks like it's part of an overall push to lower damage parties do across the board by targeting tank damage (while bringing pld up to par), healer aoe and free GCDs in which to aoe by increasing incoming damage, and reducing DPS aoe enough that pulling giant packs won't work because dps simply can't kill it before your tank/healer are out of juice. We already know they didn't like the DPS meta and how we were pulling entire dungeons all at once, so this seems to be their answer.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

pld's damage was way more than 'brought up to par'. the changes are over the top and if square enix gave a poo poo at all about actual game balance the changes would be tweaked by 4.1, but they don't so pld will be stupid until 5.0.

PLD's in a place now where they have a mechanic for being brought up to FELL CLEAVE META but if they do too much all it takes is some numbers changing. Before there was nothing they could change to give paladin a big burst until a rework, so that's what they did.

And if you think yoshi doesn't give a poo poo about game balance I invite you to go look over at what's going on in wow for legion. Class balance in FFXIV has always actually been really good, but shitlords scream about the meta constantly on reddit so people actually believe you couldn't kill A3S without a meta comp (you could and people are poo poo).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Changing tank AP to 100% str was on OK decision and probably necessary. The stupid decision was making jewelry role restricted, because it fucks over tanks outside of group content. All they had to do was make it so that mobs hit hard enough that you'd want to wear vit jewelry.

I feel like they blunted this with Grade VI materia. Also, people are selling their grade V materia for ridiculously cheap on the MB because of all the quests making GBS threads it on you, now's a good time to stock up to either sell later or use for yourself. People were selling GV crit materia for 900 gil per yesterday.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

pld dps is currently substantially better than either warrior or drk, which is absolutely terrible from a gameplay balance perspective that the best tank at actual tanking is now also the one with functionally infinite sustain AND the best overall dps. the fact this even made it to live is absolutely bizarre.

class balance in ffxiv has not been 'always good' and the fact wow has worse balance doesn't somehow mean other things balanced better doesn't somehow mean they're still balanced well.

On the other hand, who does the best damage is usually determined by the arcane tool known as "numbers" and "numbers" can actually be changed between expansions. Or so I've been told.

And how about you show me where FFXIV class balance is bad, because I don't see it. You can pretty easily do all of the content in this game on pretty much any nonstandard comp you may want as long as you've got two tanks, two healers, and four dps. If your argument is class balance is garbage because of what a bunch of assholes on reddit think about the meta then you're actually full of poo poo.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

one class in a role does literally everything better than the other classes. what else do you need to be shown

Where the other classes can't do the same job.

Also, expansion launch, no poo poo some classes are outperforming. This happened at HW launch, too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I don't think you're going to be losing a raid spot if you want to play DRK over PLD.

If you are then those people are garbage you don't want to play with anyway.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, paladin could do literally everything in HW, but by and large people really didn't bring them in progression content. can you explain why that is? spoilers: it's because ease of completion is a much more useful balancing metric than just ability of completion. i don't doubt that all of the tank jobs *can* clear all of the content, but if paladin can clear it x times easier than the other tanks, why bring the other tanks? i don't doubt a static of like seven other people you know would be fine with you playing warrior, or whatever, but if you don't think there will be a noticeable difference come raid-time when one of the tank classes does 25 percent more damage, survives way better than the others, is barely reliant on burst windows to do their top dps, and can mitigate ridiculous damage for the rest of the raid, you've got your head buried in the sand.

1) you mean they didn't absolutely nail a class's damage output with just internal testing on their first try? get the gently caress out!
2) being able to clear the content is all that matters, and if your group is one of those shitheel groups where they told you to play X class because it was better than the class within the same role you want to play, you're better off without them, especially here, the land of endless goon groups
3) PLD actually is reliant on burst windows now as well, given how requiescat works.
4) show me where PLD at equal gear does 25% more overall dps and takes significantly less damage (taking into account defiance's healing bonus) than the other tanks.
5) having more mitigation didn't make PLD better than the other tanks in HW, so what's actually your point with that?

I mean, you haven't even come close to addressing the first point anyway. AST got a huge buff when it turned out that they actually were poo poo, why on earth do you think it wouldn't happen again?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it's not my job to sit here and do like an hour of math that you don't even care about to prove something that is literally easily observable but you're being deliberately obtuse in half of these. paladin is going to be leaps and bounds better than the other tanks come omega if the class does not get tweaked.

Thanks for assuming I didn't do a bunch of the math before the game launched because I was (and still am) real excited for paladin to not suck, and for assuming that the burden is on me when you're the one making the assertion that PLD is OP as hell without bothering to put together a coherent argument for it.

But mostly, thanks for agreeing that it's a (strong) possibility that if the class actually is overpowered they will tweak it, as they have done before.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

orcane posted:

It still doesn't make much sense because all the other SMN AoE they nerfed as well. The -20% to -80% penalty is extreme and no other AoE has it, and there's have no spammable direct damage AoE either (well, okay, there's Tri-Bind :psyduck:), deathflare was changed to the usual -10% to -50%, shadowflare lost half its power, miasma 2 is gone entirely.

Again, if it was just the bane nerf I could see it, but nerfing every single AoE ability makes no sense. If "respecting the content" was the issue, they could do a lot more with gated packs (which they've done before) or increasing mana cost of AoE spells. And yeah, even if the two jobs on one class thing was the issue, there's still traits.

I actually really like SCH and think excog's fix is really making quickened aetherflow not trash. I think they just really really need a numbers pass to be great(increase xcog's potency, quickened aetherflow's proc rate, maybe some cooldowns adjusted and make adlo a bigger shield or something), and they might as well just make it official and delete bane because it's obvious that's what they wanted to do.

Also 60 second cooldown on shadowflare is poo poo and bad, but "juggling dots" wasn't really that much more engaging than spamming broil 2. You just threw them up, healed people, and kept an eye on the boss like you do now because of your 2 dots. Maybe it's just people realizing that scholar wasn't actually that engaging before or something?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I'd like Scholar to feel sort of scholarly, like you actually are examining the enemy and looking for a weakness to exploit. I'm not sure how you'd make that work. Maybe change Broil into a weak attack that turns into an absurdly strong one if you land it when one of your DOTs is about to expire?

Similarly, I wish they did more with shields and precast healing so that you're thinking about what's going to happen next and being prepared for it instead of fixing damage after it drops.

They do play a little bit like that, but not for damage, and it's never been like that for damage either.

At the moment, all of my expert runs (because I was the only adult in my group who leveled a healer) start with summon fairy, protect, aetherflow, largesse, excog the tank, swiftcast adlo while running along, then dot up some people. Lustrate as necessary, rouse fairy, eye for an eye on big packs/double pulls, throw down a shadowflare after a bit so I'm sure we're not moving off of it. After trash, largesse, excog, adlo, rinse, repeat. Bosses with predictable incoming damage are still okay, but most of their big damage nukes are negated with just a succor instead of a spread adlo. Fairy gauge gets used up when it hits 80 or double pulls and such. I've been rousing during aetherpact, but I haven't tested it so I don't know if that stacks or not.

I don't use bane unless there are a buttload of targets because it's just not worth using the aetherflow. Also, between the scraps of quickened aetherflow and being incentivized to energy drain while aetherflow is on cooldown for more fairy gauge, I didn't bother taking the mana role ability because of the mana coming in and because initial heal aggro is on eos and who gives a poo poo if she gets merced. It's something I'll take when I'm learning fights so that I can recover if someone scrapes me up, but it's not really all that necessary. Played the way I think they wanted scholar to play, you still don't have mana issues, but it does mean you have to actually use physick. I'd rather they halve the incoming mana from aetherflow(again) and not make adlo cost an entire testicle, though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Your mistake is in thinking that my goal is to do well in pvp, whereas my true purpose is to just get xp for SAM. Not sucking at pvp is a secondary objective

Find a warrior and buddy up. He'll hold peoples' legs with tomahawk and holmgang and you cut them down. It's two halves of a whole coming together to murder people.

Also shatter is actually secretly about killing people. You can beat the points out of at team, so being with your zerg and just killing people can still be worthwhile even if you're missing ice. Also, if there's an ice and someone from another team is there hitting it, don't ignore them. It's your poo poo, murder them for touching it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 26, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rascyc posted:

You'll find the time/flow once the tanks are more geared up. There's a lot of armor on the tome set.

There are some double packs that I can actually trust fey union and a random adlo to carry it, assuming the tank is playing well too.

I need to look into the actual numbers, but bane feels like it's not worth using in almost every situation. If it's 2 targets I'd be better off just hardcasting the dots because it's only one more target, and if it's like 5 targets the falloff is pretty harsh.

Also, if bane were a thing you could just pump aetherflow into to increase the aoe damage, so then it becomes a matter of guessing whether you'll need that aetherflow to keep the tank alive or not, and it'd also give you an aoe option for burning aetherflow stacks that isn't god awful. If bane placed its own dot worth X potency that stacked up to 3 it'd be more interesting than in HW, and probably easier to balance.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

MCH's in a weird place now but I think people are overstating the doom and gloom- we're a sustained damage class now and our 1-2-3 with Heat hits really hard compared to what most classes are doing moment to moment. Gauss is on a 15 second cd and we basically have ammo now whenever we want it and ammo hits harder. As long as you maintain heat I think you'll be ok- losing heat with Barrel Stabilizer down is a fail scenario but not as bad as, say, losing Blood of the Dragon used to be for DRGs.

Our problem is, weirdly enough, is that we have no real bite to our spike. Wildfire's nerfed, we have no oGCD damage buff, Overheating is a weird Damage trade-off where we'll bleed a good chunk of our damage gain in the time Gauss is down even if Barrel Stabilizer's ready to go as soon as Gauss is back. The turret Overloads are just a trap- they're bad as anything but right before a phase shift in a trial or the end of a trash pack. Our ability to spike damage sucks something fierce and they gotta either address the damage loss from Overheating or how wimpy the Overheat bonus is to fix it.

Our AoE is worse- we used to be right behind Summoner- but everyone's is worse and Flamethrower and the ammo buff helps us stay relevant. I've been out-AoEing most people again now that I got Flamethrower and work on Overheating more for trash piles, but we're still probably going to be somewhere in the middle in the long run.

I haven't played MCH at all in pve, but they are loving murderbeasts in PVP. It doesn't really matter who's around, you just gun them down and keep on trucking. Getting rid of the faffing about with percentage chance on 1-2-3 and making ammunition a heat management mechanic made it way more engaging, and it felt good to mash reload between GCDs to stay in the sweet spot. It's as close as a game has ever gotten to feeling like you're ejecting shells and reloading to just dump bullets into someone.

Also the sprint animation is baller for WW2 squad roleplay in shatter.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Countblanc posted:

4.0 SCH and 3.0 AST aren't really comparable - AST simply did not have the healing throughput necessary to do the hardest content. Current SCH definitely does, it's just like Reiter said though, they make EXDR (and quite possibly future difficult 4-man content like Deep Dungeon) more challenging/slower by virtue of dealing notably less damage. Everyone I talk to who tanks dungeons regularly says it's a pretty notable difference, having a SCH versus either other healer. They still clear but it's slower and less fun. Plus any personal feelings about the job not being fun to play anymore but I can't comment on that.

Does anyone have a breakdown on BLM's opener/rotation, both for single target and AoE? I'm leveling it along with some friends and after taking it for a spin in Sirensong Sea I can tell my old habits aren't going to cut it.

As much as I like scholar healing, I'm tempted to level up AST once I finish SAM and PLD. The sun thing looks cool and, yeah, they actually do damage. I just need to diversify what I can do before I go leveling within the same role again.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

If you hard cast your dots on one target and bane onto a second, you're getting 630 and 504 respectively, assuming the dots get their full duration. Hard casting the dots again would only be worth 126 more potency for two GCDs compared to 460 from two Broil IIs. It's only actually worth it on the 5th and beyond target, but then the problem is figuring out which ones those are.

Basically you still want to bane for AOE no matter what.

I wish bane had its own dot or some kind of indicator so I could at least look for the mob with the weakest dots and work backwards up the chain after a bane if I have open GCDs. It'd be a big qol for both sch and smn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

fey union is admittedly clunky in trash pulls, continuing the theme of sch's dungeon performance being a complete dumpster fire that dramatically needs buffs, but it's fine in a raid setting. tanks tend to hold the boss steady anyways because the melees will whine endlessly if they don't, and you generally know ahead of them when you have to use fey union (in current content: susano's sword phase / the bits of lakshmi ex where you need to run out to mars while the tank eats a buster / any situation in which the other healer is down, the tank is taking damage, and you don't have swiftcast)

I don't have a whole lot of problems with fey union breaking, but I'm in the habit of placing eos by the tank so that I can move in and out of aoes and don't make eos lose cast time on embrace. AoEs tend to ignore her, so I've never had her die unless I forget to hit heel. It does depend on the fight, though, because sometimes you want eos to be nearby.

The biggest issue SCH has right now, by far, is bane being poo poo and not being able to push out aoe damage like the other healers.