Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

At the top of your character panel you can change to machinist.

Your mistake is in thinking that my goal is to do well in pvp, whereas my true purpose is to just get xp for SAM. Not sucking at pvp is a secondary objective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

SCH to me currently feels like it's in a similar spot as AST was at the beginning of Heavensward. There's a job with a lot of potential there, but the numbers don't add up to a competent whole as things currently stand. Keeping in mind that I started as SCH and was initially convinced that it wasn't the job that was weaker, but just that people were simply having a hard time adjusting to the leveling experience / the dungeons being tuned differently. Then I leveled up AST and the difference was night and day on how easy things were to heal. SCH does still seem like it's perfectly capable of doing anything, but it requires significantly more effort than the other healers for the same rewards.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Somehow I just noticed that the new BRD artifact set has a loving bagpipe attached to it. :swoon:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'd like Scholar to feel sort of scholarly, like you actually are examining the enemy and looking for a weakness to exploit. I'm not sure how you'd make that work. Maybe change Broil into a weak attack that turns into an absurdly strong one if you land it when one of your DOTs is about to expire?

Similarly, I wish they did more with shields and precast healing so that you're thinking about what's going to happen next and being prepared for it instead of fixing damage after it drops.

They do play a little bit like that, but not for damage, and it's never been like that for damage either.

At the moment, all of my expert runs (because I was the only adult in my group who leveled a healer) start with summon fairy, protect, aetherflow, largesse, excog the tank, swiftcast adlo while running along, then dot up some people. Lustrate as necessary, rouse fairy, eye for an eye on big packs/double pulls, throw down a shadowflare after a bit so I'm sure we're not moving off of it. After trash, largesse, excog, adlo, rinse, repeat. Bosses with predictable incoming damage are still okay, but most of their big damage nukes are negated with just a succor instead of a spread adlo. Fairy gauge gets used up when it hits 80 or double pulls and such. I've been rousing during aetherpact, but I haven't tested it so I don't know if that stacks or not.

I don't use bane unless there are a buttload of targets because it's just not worth using the aetherflow. Also, between the scraps of quickened aetherflow and being incentivized to energy drain while aetherflow is on cooldown for more fairy gauge, I didn't bother taking the mana role ability because of the mana coming in and because initial heal aggro is on eos and who gives a poo poo if she gets merced. It's something I'll take when I'm learning fights so that I can recover if someone scrapes me up, but it's not really all that necessary. Played the way I think they wanted scholar to play, you still don't have mana issues, but it does mean you have to actually use physick. I'd rather they halve the incoming mana from aetherflow(again) and not make adlo cost an entire testicle, though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I made a linkshell on Excalibur for A & S rank hunts. If you're interested and would call out marks you run into, shoot a whisper to Raia Khatri.

isk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 26, 2017

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Your mistake is in thinking that my goal is to do well in pvp, whereas my true purpose is to just get xp for SAM. Not sucking at pvp is a secondary objective

Poke a lot with your range attack, and guard your partners. Samurai are great at protecting their friends.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ainsley McTree posted:

do pvp on a job you enjoy pvping on and then kill yourself when a team hits 1400 points and switch to SAM.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holyshoot posted:

I hope they don't have anymore extra action bar fights because they are clunky as hell.

Also shirk is GOD loving drat AMAZING and will make tank swaps and staying ahead of aggro on the dps easy AS gently caress! If you aren't doing the shirk jerk with your co-tank you should reroll. It only sucks on fights like lakmishi where you have to stay second on aggro and a pesky sam keeps riding the off tank.

I kept slipping into second place on Emanation EX as an RDM and it gave me a tiny boner :3:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well the good news is you get the same XP whether you win or lose. I guess hang out near a healer and kill anyone that goes for them?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Find a warrior and buddy up. He'll hold peoples' legs with tomahawk and holmgang and you cut them down. It's two halves of a whole coming together to murder people.

Also shatter is actually secretly about killing people. You can beat the points out of at team, so being with your zerg and just killing people can still be worthwhile even if you're missing ice. Also, if there's an ice and someone from another team is there hitting it, don't ignore them. It's your poo poo, murder them for touching it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 26, 2017

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Tsurupettan posted:

do pvp on a job you enjoy pvping on and then kill yourself when a team hits 1400 points and switch to SAM.

And if you're having trouble killing yourself, you can cast Return to go back to the safe zone to swap classes.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Harrow posted:

There isn't a debuff-focused class per se--a few jobs get debuffs, like Machinist, but none are really focused on it--though I'd enjoy playing one if there was. I wish Red Mage had some debuffs, given that they were really good at enfeebling magic in FFXI and that was a cool potential niche.

I feel like this would be a neat niche for blue mage (or the much cooler FFX-2 gun mage) that'd hold flavor without going into the huge mess that is "making blue mage in a WoW-style MMO." The big problem is making a debuff-oriented job would very likely put them in a position to be a must-bring to raids, which wouldn't be great.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Regarding Yotsuyu, her attacking with a gun and saying things like 'the die has been cast' brings to mind the Corsair class from ff11. I'm not the only one who thought this right?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

macfam posted:

Regarding Yotsuyu, her attacking with a gun and saying things like 'the die has been cast' brings to mind the Corsair class from ff11. I'm not the only one who thought this right?

You FF11 people are really strange sometimes.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

In my very limited experience, use Enpi a lot, tag low hp enemies with that 1500 potency, 20 kenki attack whenever possible, and avoid hanging out in a a big brawl unless you have a bunch of friends and at least one healer near.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

Hold up you can change classes mid-game and get the xp for whatever you are when you finish? Well I guess I'll do the mch thing after all

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alakaiser posted:

I feel like this would be a neat niche for blue mage (or the much cooler FFX-2 gun mage) that'd hold flavor without going into the huge mess that is "making blue mage in a WoW-style MMO." The big problem is making a debuff-oriented job would very likely put them in a position to be a must-bring to raids, which wouldn't be great.

The best thing I could think of for Blue Mage would be a tank where some of your skills activate based on what kind of damage you get hit with. Sort of like how Samurai has that Iaijutsu skill that changes based on how many sen you have, Blue Mage could have a couple of Blue Magic skills. You activate one in anticipation of getting hit with a special attack, eat the hit (with reduced damage, they'd maybe be your defensive cooldowns), and then the skill transforms into something else based on what you got hit with. It'd almost be like Thieves in GW2, who can use their Steal skill to temporarily gain another ability based on the type of enemy they stole from, only you get hit instead. Have a couple different Blue Magic skills for different purposes and I think it'd feel appropriately Blue Mage-y. (And I think the tank role fits because I enjoy the version of Blue Mage that just lets itself get hit to learn abilities.)

I have no idea how you'd ever balance something like that, though. But it's all I can really think of that would work in FFXIV while also feeling like a real Blue Mage.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hold up you can change classes mid-game and get the xp for whatever you are when you finish? Well I guess I'll do the mch thing after all

Make sure you dab irl every time your character flips.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I use custom-weighted fidget spinners to track my wildfire cd.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If I lower the number of retainers I pay for does it just make the last ones in the list go away, or give me a choice sometime?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Even the classes thing doesn't make any sense to me. It's a 'patch' on a problem but we already have skill-altering traits. Just have Bane Mastery or something.

As far as I can tell the big thing stopping them from getting rid of it is the technical effort (including the existence of ACN).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

AST is overpowered.

*cough*

Look at the eye for an eye buff

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don't use bane unless there are a buttload of targets because it's just not worth using the aetherflow.
You'll find the time/flow once the tanks are more geared up. There's a lot of armor on the tome set.

There are some double packs that I can actually trust fey union and a random adlo to carry it, assuming the tank is playing well too.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

nuru posted:

If I lower the number of retainers I pay for does it just make the last ones in the list go away, or give me a choice sometime?

The lowest one goes away, from my experience.

I usually have 4, but I've dropped the two paid ones when my sub lapses and when I come back I only have the two original free ones. Adding the option back on just puts them in the list as they were.

I've never tried dropping only one to see what happens but I've got no reason to believe it would be any different.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The numbers are literally the things that are not wrong with Scholar in a raid setting. They're quite good once you recognize that 33+% of your healing output is coming from your fairy, for free, forever--better than AST, worse than WHM imo. Chain Stratagem is nuts. If you think Excogitation is bad you've never lost a tank to Punishing Heat -> Cleave or Ravensbeak -> autoattack or any other tankbuster -> medium hit, in which case you're either good enough or bad enough class balance arguments don't apply anyway. If you boost adlo to be on par with noct a.benefic or whatever the hell reddit wants to do, the class will be over the top.

It's in line with the other healers right now in raids; maybe a little bit worse but definitely not DELETE <CLASS> MEME levels of worse.

EXDR is the problem; there was no legitimate reason to lobotomize Bane the way they did. If they were worried about SMN they could've just given SCH a trait that buffed bane, or even better given them an AOE filler to replace blizzard 2.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
does anyone remember when the reddit class balance brigade was swearing up and down they were quitting the game over whm nerfs

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
So the Shisui tanking set is certainly... a thing.

It protects all the important things at least.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Leal posted:

*cough*

Look at the eye for an eye buff

Yeah, astrologians can also extend their own cleric stance and lucid dreamings with Celestial Opposition. It's good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

does anyone remember when the reddit class balance brigade was swearing up and down they were quitting the game over whm nerfs

Weren't there errors or incomplete tooltips driving that one?

It should've been rip SCH - aero 3 and bane hitting live the way they did shows that SE is not paying attention to healer balance at all.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Weren't there errors or incomplete tooltips driving that one?

It should've been rip SCH - aero 3 and bane hitting live the way they did shows that SE is not paying attention to healer balance at all.

Lily proc rate was thought to be lower than what it is live, but the reasons WHM are the best throughput healer have literally nothing to do with lillies and everything to do with C3, Thin Air, and the new oGCDs.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rascyc posted:

You'll find the time/flow once the tanks are more geared up. There's a lot of armor on the tome set.

There are some double packs that I can actually trust fey union and a random adlo to carry it, assuming the tank is playing well too.

I need to look into the actual numbers, but bane feels like it's not worth using in almost every situation. If it's 2 targets I'd be better off just hardcasting the dots because it's only one more target, and if it's like 5 targets the falloff is pretty harsh.

Also, if bane were a thing you could just pump aetherflow into to increase the aoe damage, so then it becomes a matter of guessing whether you'll need that aetherflow to keep the tank alive or not, and it'd also give you an aoe option for burning aetherflow stacks that isn't god awful. If bane placed its own dot worth X potency that stacked up to 3 it'd be more interesting than in HW, and probably easier to balance.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
MCH's in a weird place now but I think people are overstating the doom and gloom- we're a sustained damage class now and our 1-2-3 with Heat hits really hard compared to what most classes are doing moment to moment. Gauss is on a 15 second cd and we basically have ammo now whenever we want it and ammo hits harder. As long as you maintain heat I think you'll be ok- losing heat with Barrel Stabilizer down is a fail scenario but not as bad as, say, losing Blood of the Dragon used to be for DRGs.

Our problem is, weirdly enough, is that we have no real bite to our spike. Wildfire's nerfed, we have no oGCD damage buff, Overheating is a weird Damage trade-off where we'll bleed a good chunk of our damage gain in the time Gauss is down even if Barrel Stabilizer's ready to go as soon as Gauss is back. The turret Overloads are just a trap- they're bad as anything but right before a phase shift in a trial or the end of a trash pack. Our ability to spike damage sucks something fierce and they gotta either address the damage loss from Overheating or how wimpy the Overheat bonus is to fix it.

Our AoE is worse- we used to be right behind Summoner- but everyone's is worse and Flamethrower and the ammo buff helps us stay relevant. I've been out-AoEing most people again now that I got Flamethrower and work on Overheating more for trash piles, but we're still probably going to be somewhere in the middle in the long run.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The real healer balance takeaway:

WHM + Noct AST: insane mp efficiency, big shields for days, cure 3 availability, more stable against raidwide aoes
Diurnal AST + SCH: higher raid dps comp, indom is still stupid overpowered, more stable against tankbuster combos
WHM + SCH: lol

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If I could only get one thing it would be to make Fey Union activate quicker, rapidly fly to the target, and stay with the target.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

MCH's in a weird place now but I think people are overstating the doom and gloom- we're a sustained damage class now and our 1-2-3 with Heat hits really hard compared to what most classes are doing moment to moment. Gauss is on a 15 second cd and we basically have ammo now whenever we want it and ammo hits harder. As long as you maintain heat I think you'll be ok- losing heat with Barrel Stabilizer down is a fail scenario but not as bad as, say, losing Blood of the Dragon used to be for DRGs.

Our problem is, weirdly enough, is that we have no real bite to our spike. Wildfire's nerfed, we have no oGCD damage buff, Overheating is a weird Damage trade-off where we'll bleed a good chunk of our damage gain in the time Gauss is down even if Barrel Stabilizer's ready to go as soon as Gauss is back. The turret Overloads are just a trap- they're bad as anything but right before a phase shift in a trial or the end of a trash pack. Our ability to spike damage sucks something fierce and they gotta either address the damage loss from Overheating or how wimpy the Overheat bonus is to fix it.

Our AoE is worse- we used to be right behind Summoner- but everyone's is worse and Flamethrower and the ammo buff helps us stay relevant. I've been out-AoEing most people again now that I got Flamethrower and work on Overheating more for trash piles, but we're still probably going to be somewhere in the middle in the long run.

I haven't played MCH at all in pve, but they are loving murderbeasts in PVP. It doesn't really matter who's around, you just gun them down and keep on trucking. Getting rid of the faffing about with percentage chance on 1-2-3 and making ammunition a heat management mechanic made it way more engaging, and it felt good to mash reload between GCDs to stay in the sweet spot. It's as close as a game has ever gotten to feeling like you're ejecting shells and reloading to just dump bullets into someone.

Also the sprint animation is baller for WW2 squad roleplay in shatter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
4.0 SCH and 3.0 AST aren't really comparable - AST simply did not have the healing throughput necessary to do the hardest content. Current SCH definitely does, it's just like Reiter said though, they make EXDR (and quite possibly future difficult 4-man content like Deep Dungeon) more challenging/slower by virtue of dealing notably less damage. Everyone I talk to who tanks dungeons regularly says it's a pretty notable difference, having a SCH versus either other healer. They still clear but it's slower and less fun. Plus any personal feelings about the job not being fun to play anymore but I can't comment on that.

Does anyone have a breakdown on BLM's opener/rotation, both for single target and AoE? I'm leveling it along with some friends and after taking it for a spin in Sirensong Sea I can tell my old habits aren't going to cut it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I haven't played MCH at all in pve, but they are loving murderbeasts in PVP. It doesn't really matter who's around, you just gun them down and keep on trucking. Getting rid of the faffing about with percentage chance on 1-2-3 and making ammunition a heat management mechanic made it way more engaging, and it felt good to mash reload between GCDs to stay in the sweet spot. It's as close as a game has ever gotten to feeling like you're ejecting shells and reloading to just dump bullets into someone.

Also the sprint animation is baller for WW2 squad roleplay in shatter.

MCH and BRD are both insanely, insanely strong in Frontlines. I couldn't tell you anything about 4v4 or 8v8 though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Countblanc posted:

4.0 SCH and 3.0 AST aren't really comparable - AST simply did not have the healing throughput necessary to do the hardest content. Current SCH definitely does, it's just like Reiter said though, they make EXDR (and quite possibly future difficult 4-man content like Deep Dungeon) more challenging/slower by virtue of dealing notably less damage. Everyone I talk to who tanks dungeons regularly says it's a pretty notable difference, having a SCH versus either other healer. They still clear but it's slower and less fun. Plus any personal feelings about the job not being fun to play anymore but I can't comment on that.

Does anyone have a breakdown on BLM's opener/rotation, both for single target and AoE? I'm leveling it along with some friends and after taking it for a spin in Sirensong Sea I can tell my old habits aren't going to cut it.

As much as I like scholar healing, I'm tempted to level up AST once I finish SAM and PLD. The sun thing looks cool and, yeah, they actually do damage. I just need to diversify what I can do before I go leveling within the same role again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

If I could only get one thing it would be to make Fey Union activate quicker, rapidly fly to the target, and stay with the target.

Fey union seems to be a "stop doing anything at all" button half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I need to look into the actual numbers, but bane feels like it's not worth using in almost every situation. If it's 2 targets I'd be better off just hardcasting the dots because it's only one more target, and if it's like 5 targets the falloff is pretty harsh.

If you hard cast your dots on one target and bane onto a second, you're getting 630 and 504 respectively, assuming the dots get their full duration. Hard casting the dots again would only be worth 126 more potency for two GCDs compared to 460 from two Broil IIs. It's only actually worth it on the 5th and beyond target, but then the problem is figuring out which ones those are.

Basically you still want to bane for AOE no matter what.