Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Minrad posted:

I mean, okay, vanilla FFXIV was dog poo poo but it at least had storyline quests you could in theory do if you got enough levels

The servers are up and there's poo poo to do that isn't the MSQ. It is by default better than 90% od mmo launches between 2000-now. The MSQ block is insanely lousy regardless though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Nevermind now I need to do some testing!

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't know who honestly thinks server stability is better than this. i would rather have server instability than, you know, be stuck fifteen quests into the msq.

This is better than the servers just flat being down for the last 36 hours. But I agree that random crashes with the chance of progress would be preferable to what we've got right now.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The plot of Stormblood is stupid. I'm not done yet, maybe it will get turned around, but it's bad. Bad enough that I had to shitpost about it because it's bugging me!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

I haven't played it yet since I'm main swapping to samurai but my initial take of the nin stuff is that it is at worst net-neutral. We didn't lose anything of particular value, at least nothing that everyone else didn't also lose (rip b4b and ir). The main rotation got a litle more boring but Ten Chi Jin probably makes up for it on it's own. Also no more stupid poison bullshit is a huge boon. That weird level range where viper has a higher damage increase than wap is no more, along with forgetting to reapply it because you syn'c down into something. Very nice QoL change.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I posted earlier about how I thought the story was stupid. Having completed it, it's time to effort post. Obvious story spoilers, do not click if not finished.

The problem I have with the story this go around is that everything pre-doma liberation is essentially the same meta-plot. Go to a place under imperial rule promising liberation. Witness Garlean oppression. Get rebuffed by oppressed people. Fail to understand why they rebuff you. Do some busy work to get into their good graces. Finale of story arc which varies slightly depending on where you are. These same story beats played out In The Peaks, The Ruby Sea, and Yanxia. Half of them even played out in the Azim Steppe. It was incredibly tiring going through almost step for step identical stories except this time it's villagers instead of pirates instead of miners instead of the resistance. I feel like Doma had a mostly satisfactory wrap-up, with Azim Stepped being the most interesting zone and the final attack on Doma castle was well done. Gosetsu's death angered me quite a bit; in fact it's what spurred my initial shitpost on the topic. But the post credit's stinger has assuaged my disbelief.

Post Doma was ok. My only real beef with it is that I feel like it tried to cash story checks it hadn't earned with regards to Lyse. The story completely failed to show Lyse as a leader. Or as much of anything to be honest. She started the game as pretty much still Yda and she ended the game... exactly the same. Still impulsive, still impetuous. Put in charge of the resistance but never really shown leading it. The skeleton of what they were trying to do with her is there and obvious, but it never got the developement it needed. On the whole, the post-Doma stuff felt really rushed, which is pretty funny considering how languid the Doma stuff felt.

Zenos was... fairly lousy as a villain. If he wasn't so awesome in the solo fights you have with him he would be entirely forgettable. With any luck, what little plot he was actually involved in will progress into something interesting.

Lastly, I cannot believe the number of times I said to myself, "This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard." At least 6 times. So many idiot plans, Alphinaud never would have stood for it.

A reasonably satisfying finale though. Good last dungeon, good last trial.

Final thoughts: Drastically worse than HW. Not even as good as 2.3-2.55. Better than ARR.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Freak Futanari posted:

This is why i'm hoping they'll severely nerf PvP EXP

As someone who ground up pvp rank long before SB was released, I guarantee you the levels of idiocy you see are normal.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Couple more newbie questions. I just finished my first dungeon of the game with a patient group that helped me figure out the chat system and whatnot, and the tank chided me for keeping him above 75% rather than just above 0. Is overhealing a big deal in this game?

Yes. Unlike in most other mmo's, overhealing generates the same threat it would have if it had actually healed anything so all your overheal is just making the tanks life difficult for no benefit.

Not that a tank should be having threat problems with overhealing assuming you aren't doing anything asinine like spamming a group heal non-stop anyway.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

You guys are crazy there's tons of AE in trash pulls that is worth stunning to maintain uptime.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Picking the character who gave the best showing in the expansion is extremely easy at least, seeing as there's only real choice.

Laughed so hard at that scene. It was perfect.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I still like Ravana's theme best

Definitely still the best.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

As for Gosetsu and Yotsuyo, I hope that scene means that they're not dead but effectively out of the story for good. Not killing them for good was dumb, having them actually come back would be even dumber.

Endgame spoilers: Gosetsu's death was the most idiotic poo poo. The final straw in a string of stupid but unrelated plot points. I'm glad he's alive because the whole time they were monologuing at each other for 2 minutes straight I was internally yelling to just slide some of the drat rumble under the ceiling so he could put it down and everyone could get a move on.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Low-level tanking as anyone sucks a fat butt but you really shouldn't care if anyone but the healer has pulled aggro and if the healer has pulled aggro at any point not the first 4 seconds of a fight without doing something deliberately asinine like spamming medica then it is you who needs to get good.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

nuru posted:

I'm torn between "PvP is popular" and "Everyone is just using PvP to level and doesn't care about PvP itself".

There's no functional difference tbh. Says me as I sit here glowering at shitass potd.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I cannot believe they haven't switched to trading in generic tokens you get 1 of per floor automatically each week. What the gently caress is the point of forcing people to almost assuredly have to do multiple runs of something in a week?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay real question here: Why? She was in like 1 patch and had really 0 interesting things to add the the cast or setting. Hell even the whole "Secret Scion who's Yda's best friend and Urianger's GF out of nowwhere" just helped seal her fate as "Actually unimportant character but we're about to kill her off so we need to make some cheap cheap pathos." dead meat.

She was more useful than all the other scions combined for her brief, beautiful existence at the time. Besides which, the only character in this whole stupid game who even functions as a character is Alphinaud. Everyone else is essentially a 1-note cardboard cut-out with less depth than the 2.0 blm rotation. Moenbryda has exactly the same amount of depth and personality as Thancred, Y'shtola, Papalymo, and barely less than Yda despite just finishing an entire expansion that was theoretically supposed to heavily feature her developing and evolving as a character but then... didn't.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Cythereal do not tank in this game. I've seen your posts in the WoW subforum and people will be just as lovely here as they are there for doing single pulls in dungeons once you get to around level 50. Earlier too depending on group make-up since the only reason people don't do massive pulls at low levels is that lots of jobs don't get AE attacks until the 30's and 40's.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Just popping in to say that tomestones rule and are a big reason I am playing this and not WoW. Please do not do anything that WoW is doing in terms of acquiring equipment.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

polish sausage posted:

As someone who hasn't played since before the release of heavensward but looking to get back, would it be worth it to play through the heavensward story? It looks kind of neat but part of me really wants see all the eastern asian stuff that stormblood has.

Heavensward content is quite good. In my opinion better than Stormblood and it pains me to say that since I am a giant weeb. SB has better dungeons though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Zenos is a better villain than elf-pope.

Neither of them are villains worth a poo poo tbh.

Edit: Realtalk; this game is loving trash at making good characters. The only character that's conventionally good in any sense of the word is Alphinaud. Everyone else is a 1 note trope that hasn't developed at all in the now 4 years of playing this game, including the one who just starred throughout an entire expansion.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 13, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

ftfy

(Alphinaud is a man-child whose recent marginal competence doesn't come anywhere near making up for his catastrophic gently caress-ups in the past.)

Alisaie is a trash character and you completely missed my point. Like yeah, I like Alisaie, she is a likable character and Alphinaud isn't as affable but being likable doesn't make her a good character at loving all. She is, "The brash youth who wants to cut through the bullshit to get poo poo done." and has absolutely no other aspects to her character. None. 0. That is her entire existence. She functions as a tool to throw at a plotpoint when cutting through the bullshit is what's needed and otherwise has no relevance.

Alphinaud starts off the game as a haughty dillweed who thinks he knows best for everyone like a typical teenager. He sees his grand plan come to fruition only for the whole thing to blow up in his dumb face because oops he was a dumb teenager all along. He then spends all of HW learning from his mistakes and becoming a better person in general. He has flaws, fears, hobbies, desires and all the other poo poo you might find in a well-developed character. He experiences growth and the only thing this game has managed to present that even remotely resembles a character arc. He then doesn't in Stormblood but that's a problem with the expansion as a whole.

I don't mean to be harsh towards the story of this game (well other than towards Stormblood which was fuckin' lousy). I think they do a very good job in presentation and handling themes and having good character moments even if 99% of them are flat as a cardboard cut-out. Mostly I am fresh off finishing the SB story and salty that they botched doing anything even remotely interesting with it's "main character".

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Hagakure is always a net dps gain regardless of sen count so I tend to use it more or less on cd, stalling for a sen if I'm about to get it.

Blockhouse posted:

is max level samurai play really just spamming shinken over and over again cause boy that doesn't sound fun in the least

This is not entirely wrong but it's absurdly reductionest. High level sam play is all about gauge management. You want to be dumping kenki into shinten but you also need to have enough kenki to kaiten your midare's and huge bananas, you want to keep some around to yaten/gyoten as needed, and you need to keep below or above certain thresholds depending on if hagakure or guren are about to be up.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 13, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Four doors. You pick a door and then one of the other three doors open. Now you have a choice to re-pick or keep your original selection.

If you pick wrong, you're given a goat. It doesn't actually do anything. Just sits in your inventory taking up space.

I was all set to be mad as hell at this dumbshit content but now I need you to clarify; how many boring rooms of trash will there be in this shithole between the entrance and the final floor?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

bewilderment posted:

So like I'm just levelling up Arcanist currently at level 21 in-between finally finishing up the 2.0 story as Warrior, but looking at the abilities has me thinking -

Do people actually play Scholar just while doing regular levelling content outside of a party, or do you just switch to Summoner for that to speed things up?
It seems like even if you stayed as a Scholar you'd put away the fairy and summon the wind carbuncle or something.

I'm tight on armory chest space, even after the expansion, so I did world stuff as a sch instead of smn.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fister is a poo poo poster, but also a legitimately good guy.

Truly, a goon of contrasts.

I have yelled at Fister for pages about his poo poo opinion on story mode 8 mans but Fister is cool and good imo.

On the topic of LB3's, the reason that I don't instantly jam on the lb3 button the second it becomes available is because people are fuckin trash and I've had 1 too many fights go south that could have been salvaged by a healer lb. So yes, I'm going to sit on that LB from 33-~10% to be reasonably sure we don't need to raise >3 people at once and every time some shitlord ranged dps blows it on their dumb satellite/meteor/whatever I just roll my eyes.

In dungeons, I usually lb the 2nd and last bosses. I would love it for more ranged dps to lb trash but they don't. They could probably be talked into it but that requires communication and I can't fit that in between my global cooldowns.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

UHD posted:

Does this actually happen? Because I've run exdr dozens and dozens of times for tomes or gear or shits n giggles and not once has anyone even commented on a slow tank in /party let alone tried to vote-kick. I didn't think anyone actually gave a poo poo.

I've vote-kicked single-pulling tanks before when I've rouletted in with another person. If I solo-queued and I ask a tank to pull more and they don't I'll usually just leave and eat the lockout.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

They changed it so that the 4th part of dragoon combos aren't random anymore so it would be a complete non issue.

Even if you're violently opposed to the idea of one-button combos they could just make it an option and let you fill your hotbars with useless garbage if you really want.

I am all for it being an option. I'd never use it, but I see no harm in letting the people who want to bore themselves to death mashing the 1 key 5 times in a row as dragoon do so.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Red Red Blue posted:

How boring of a life must you lead that pressing 123 instead of 111 is somehow an exciting prospect

Do me a solid and go load up Rift, a game that lets you macro your full rotation into 1 button. Go do that for a couple hours and then get back to me about how much fun you were having.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Augus posted:

I mean this only really applies to hardcore players is the thing.

Even the non-hardcore players won't be spending much of their time with the story in the long run.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Kuvo posted:

ballpark dps for people good at their class, assuming single target

i70@lv50: 150
i130@lv50: 400
i180@lv60: 900
i260@lv60: 1800
i290@lv70: 3100
i330@lv70: 4500

Fixed those for you unless your definition of good is people in the top 1%. Except for the 2 that were just way wrong, 300 was better than most people could swing in 110 let alone 70 and I saw 2500 at 270 from exactly 2 people ever. Even these numbers are still better than you will see from nearly every pug you run across.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 15, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Bolow posted:

I vastly preferred Heavensward story, but I don't know if it's because I managed to go through it all in one go instead of waiting for content patches, me being a Dragoon thus making the whole story feel a lot more personal to me, or a combination thereof.

It's a little unfair to compare Stormblood to Heavensward plus at least 3 patches, but base HW is still drastically better than SB was on nearly all fronts related to plot. Not just plot but also world building and lore as well.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Vermain posted:

I've chewed on it a lot, and I think the ultimate problem is with how the story's divided up. Heavensward's story has its arc broken up into three main chunks: forming the party and ascending to the Churning Mists; finding a way to defeat Nidhogg; and then the ramifications after. In Stormblood, Ala Mhigo's set up with the barest minimum of exposition, and you're sent off to Othard so fast it sets your hat spinning. The whole Doma bit takes up an absolutely huge amount of the story and leveling experience, to the point where Ala Mhigo almost feels vestigial. The whole business at the Sun Throne should've been chopped down to a cutscene or two, and I almost feel like Lakshmi should've been cut from the story and debuted at a later date in order to give more room for the main Ala Mhigo scenario to breath. Put in another Ala Mhigan town in its place and show that Lyse has the chops to be a leader in some way: she organizes the defenses or rallies everyone heroically, in stark contrast to the start of the story in Ala Ghana.

I agree that the split nature of the story is a significant part of it's downfall. We would have been better off if this expansion focused entirely on Doma or Ala Mihgo. Or at least, saved the return to Ala Mihgo to use as patch content. But they probably wouldn't be able to kick out whole new zones as part of a patch so I get why they didn't do that.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

isk posted:

Of note, Gaganaskin maps are nice if you do them every day and you take your time leveling crafting. Those crystals add up.

Yeah, gaganaskins are definitely worth doing over selling gazelleskin maps most of the time. Doing the canals will yield the most money but it's also the second most boring thing to do in this game behind palace of the dead.

Edit: 3rd most boring, like nearly eveyrone else I forgot Diadem existed again.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 28, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I will enjoy Eureka if it's an endless series of sidequests because 20 years of playing mmos has me conditioned to enjoy sidequests. If it's the same pseudo fate garbage that Diadem was, well I'll have to see how cool the relic is before I can be assed to bother with it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

homeless snail posted:

What if its a bunch of hunt marks + the mob killing part of anima books?

50/50 split, gently caress hunts but I can kill 10 of x things 24/7.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Kuvo posted:

is there a specific plot/ward TPT is looking at for relocation? i want to buy a private house in the same ward, if possible

Plot 30 in Shirogane, ward is whichever onee we manage to get the house in.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm literally sitting on 45 cracked clusters I got completely randomly and without effort, let alone stuff I'd actually farm for. Stingy isn't the word I'd use.

It absolutely is the word you would use for dol/h materia 6.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Anybody else downloading at an excruciatingly slow pace?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Weak. Want my Bloodborne crossover, SE.

That was last year.

The main things SE needs to do about housing are make them account bound and unique and then figure out a way to add more of them as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

It amuses me that this patch had more callbacks to character decisions i had made than all of fallout 4. Not just past combat exploits but some npc made a remark based on being a miqote. That i had done the sb gsm quest came up, and of course godbert had extra text. Its a really nice touch.