Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I am ready to shed my adventure nerd glamours for a skimpy bathing suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cool server lagged out when Vishnap was at 1% and now I'm gettin 5006'd and can't play the game.

Cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

owned lmbo

I got so dunked on. Friend said I leveled up before gettin booted for disconnect so I at least got the EXP/Roulette reward.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

They did, but theres now a bottleneck in the msq

And their current fix seems to be "Just wait until people leave the fight to get in!"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Hell, take off for day 2 or 3 of an MMO launch, but never burn it on day one. You're just asking to feel like you've wasted your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Don't 👏 take 👏 time 👏 off 👏 work 👏 for 👏 MMO 👏 launches. 👏

Man stick with your crazy angry corporation dick sucking Mordi. I mean if you're gonna be massively stupid don't backdown like a coward.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd honestly rather get booted from the server every 15 minutes if it meant I could get past this single stupid plot battle.

Yeah on top of the fact that they've seemed to forget how to do a launch since HW the blocked instance gates 99% of the expansion. Haven't even seen any of Othard nor have I gotten to actually talk with any of the beast tribes or see new dungeons/trials.

Hell, the main villain hasn't even shown up yet.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Loaded into the instance then lost connection with server. now I'm #1400 in world queue.

I want to loving die.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Augus posted:

You haven't played Stormblood except for the parts you did.

"Come on guys! You got to see 1/4th of two zones and do like...12 fetch quests!" Isn't exactly a great rebuttal to "I'm mad that I'm not able to get to see the content in this expansion."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Augus posted:

It's the proper rebuttal to "this is worse than 1.0" though
I get being frustrated over not being able to access the new content, I am too. The story is by far my favorite part of the game. But the melodrama is really silly.

Oh my god, goons are being hyperbolic in their disappointment and poo poo posting. This needs to be corrected!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

8 hours of clicking that one armed footstool total now. Dungeon queues are fine but every trial queue disconnects me and puts me in a 40 minute time out hole.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 18, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Minrad posted:

lilies are okay. they aren't useless, you just can't really use them in any interesting way. they happen and your abilities come up slightly faster. that's useful in most content, and not so much in the hardest content where you're using cooldowns in a very specific order (but it doesn't hurt the latter)
confessions are useless trash and you probably could play this entire expansion without putting planery whatever in your bars
thin air is straight busted and divine benison's actually decent for tankbusters: top off tank with cure II and press divine penis, done.

they have the strongest burst single target & aoe healing, the best mana regen by a wide margin, and the best aoe damage by a wide margin after scholar's aoe got dumpstered. cure III might even be a really powerful ability this expansion: it exploits how broken thin air is and there's at least one stack and heal fight to use it on in the expansion already (susanoo)

people are mostly upset that whm didn't get enough "new" stuff but thin air and assize being 60 seconds and cleric stance being gone are all so loving good I don't really care what reddit thinks of the other new stuff.

Yeah WHM is finally exactly what it is in every other FF game with jobs. Really really good at it's job but very very boring conceptually and to play.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Minrad posted:

Don't really have enough time on AST to compare it to HW yet.

I've played all the healer classes to like 61 (ast is at 65 now as my main class) and there's nothing in the game quiet as fun as making a tank buster do 0 damage thanks to the new buffed instant aspected benefic or popping an Earthly Star at just the right time so the raidwide damage is instantly negated a frame after it hits.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 19, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I think while the story of SB is pretty basic I'd put it just ahead of HE because it was about people and things set up in ARR and not 40 hours of loving DRAGONS with a twist of loving CHURCH at the end

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Suikoden 5 was the good one I was thinking of there. (I was counting the DS and PSP Suikodens.)

By and large though it wasn't very morally complex and the villain was Just Luca Blight but honestly that isn't a bad thing. After an entire expansion of Everything Is lovely it was really satisfying. I also admit though that I fully expect either the 4.x plots or the next expansion to be The Garleans And Ascians gently caress Everything Right In The Face because as it stands now things are almost too good in Eorzea and that can't last.

Given that The Garleans and making cyber new types on the advice of Ascians and these artificial echo powers have black light/darkness associated with them as opposed to the white light out echo has I'm pretty sure Garlemeld and the Ascians are soon going to be one and the same.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cool Bear posted:

Has anyone else noticed these allegories from the original first opening story:

unexpectedly bad meteor weapon from the garleans :: atom bomb from america in ww2

primals summoned by beastly denizens of isolated eorzea :: hawk military leaders of japan who controlled the emperor and with whom many disagreed

the Garleans attack because they want to destroy the primals :: the americans attack japan to stop them from conquering east asia because of these hawks, these primals

This story written by Japanese people who are intelligent and surely very aware of their own history must have been either consciously or subconsciously affected by the events of history. Is this common knowledge? Am I wrong?

You should stop reading CineD.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You made it up. Primals weren't being summoned until the Empire attacked and Midgardsomr dunked their flagship into silvertear lake. Baelsar hates primals, but the rest of the empire doesn't seem too interested in eliminating them, and in some cases are researching how to control or harness them.

The Garlean who summoned meteor was researching it and got semi-tempered by Bahamut to bring it down and ruin everyone. That this happened slightly after their initial assault doesn't depend much on the existence of the beast tribe primals.

Also there literally wasn't as much aether/ambient magic kicking around until Midgardsomr crashed the Dreadnaught into Silver Tear Falls because it blowing up broke the seal on Momma Crystal and all of the sudden Echo users were everywhere and magic was flowing out super hard (It's kind of why all the ancient and seal magical things are all kind of slowly unsealing themselves/popping off now).

That plus the Ascians goading the beast tribes about the Garleans' invasion lead to the beastmen resorting to summoning their gods.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zenos's final moments completely redeem him as a villain and he goes from super nothing to the best this game has seen. He genuinely believes you feel the way he does. Why else would you be here and he explicitly told you exactly what was going to happen if you came. He knows you're just looking for another stronger opponent to face because that's where you really live and enjoy yourself (And he's not entirely wrong on that front.) He's suicide isn't to deprive Lyse and Ala Mhigo some petty justice, it isn't even to spurn you. Zenos believes you truly understand him, you're his only real enemy, his only friend, and he takes away your chance at visceral justice to deny you the satisfaction so you'll find the hunger he so cherished and go on to find another fight. The gift was the lust for greater combat, and it's so pitch perfect for his character and I'm so glad the writers did that instead of us just killing him ourselves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Would someone unfamiliar with the game look at Yda and Lyse and reasonably conclude that they're the same character? Probably not.

Would someone with no context look at this picture or Wally west and this picture of the Flash and think they're the same thing? No???? They might as well be separate people then!!!!

I know there's a running gag on the forums about goon face blindness but this is some next level poo poo.

To be more serious, she's still the same character, not that bright, impulsive, quick to fight as her initial reaction (See for example: Catfish Punt, jumping into an ocean just cause she wanted a nice swim instead of taking the boat, literally every cutscene she has a fight in, leaping at Zenos headfirst twice!). She's the star of the show this expansion and it's entirely about things near and dear to her heart and her growing up into a position of actual influence and power. yes she's markedly different from Yda in ARR/HW and even has a new outfit! The former is called character development, the latter is people changing clothes. Don't be dense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

pissdude posted:

Lyse didn't really do anything the entire expansion, she just took credit from other characters for some mysterious reason. She didn't fight or defeat any enemies, she didn't organize anything (Raubahn, Pipin, that Gyr Abanian old guy, Alisae, Gosetsu, Yugiri, and Alphinaud all did WAY more actual planning and strategy making than Lyse did) or do much of anything to great effect at all. She was just there in cutscenes and people treated her with way more importance than she actually earned/deserved. Even loving Thancred did more than she did.

Lyse was in literally every major skirmish and army mission side by side with you.Which puts her way above "I showed up for 1 fight" Thancred and "I came up with one plan that Hein immediately dunked on with a much better one." Alphinaud.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I guess what's confusing me here is I don't remember Yda being significant enough before for anything to be a major change. She was always kind of just "Oh, also Yda is here".

Did she have a bigger role in pre-HW endgame?

She jumped in head first to punch White Armor Garlean General and wasn't all that smart.

Basically the exact same but she didn't have personal story/issues to be an actual character at.

Oh but she wore the Yda hat so she was still Yda.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Minrad posted:

if you want good stormblood writing, just go back to azim steppe. the zone where lyse was literally locked away in a jail cell and forgotten

She was locked in a cell for like 3 MSQ quests that were all "Go here and talk to these people" and was a part of the entire rest of it. And the time in the jail cell was a big character moment from here where she learns a bit about leading and not losing hope from Hein.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Hardly. She was born and raised as a subject of the Empire. She truly believed that everything she did was ultimately for the benefit of the Ala Mhigan people, because that's what the Empire's propaganda taught her.

Lmao if you read any of her angry speeches to Lyse and thought she bought any of that propaganda. She wasn't doing it for the glory and honor of the Empire. She hated those fuckers so much! She was just doing it because it was the most practical way to eke out a living with the hope of not living in slavery and squalor. She just never thought the empire could be overthrown because she saw Zenos' power and demeanor first hand. She didn't know the Eorzean Alliance had their own insane juiced up every growing god killer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

absorbing nidhogg's eyes with a lance you're calling nidhogg seems like something that is going to come up again

Dude breaks an entire oil pipeline in a single stab. Given he's still got some of that red draconic aura and says "and now you're done for good" when he stabs the eyes I think it's a safe bet to say Estinian's super charged from his possession but Nidhogg's mind/spirit is forever gone now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

I enjoyed and am hugely positive on the Gosetsu reveal because the Doma Castle thing by itself just felt like a pointless Haurchefant retread, and getting the rug pulled out from under me shows it's going to go in a different direction than HW plot. I have high hopes for it especially because he set so many death flags for himself. Both he and Yotsuyu really, ultimately wanted to die but they didn't--so what now?

It also sets up an actually interesting plot point for Hein to see if he holds true to his word of holding villain lady's words and story to heart when rebuilding Doman society. Lady was sold into sexual slavery twice over thanks to how Doman society functioned under Hein's father.

And as said up stream she's got great parallel potential with Fordola "Always loving Mad" the blood traitor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

4.0 SCH and 3.0 AST aren't really comparable - AST simply did not have the healing throughput necessary to do the hardest content.

Hmmmm.... factually wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jinh posted:

Again, that's more Merlwyb's thing

Why not both?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why is Balmung so drat populated? All I know about it is that it's the RP choice of servers, but that can't be the actual reason, can it?

There's a lot of people and also a lot of people that are into Final Fantasy/Anime RPG's enough to want to spend 1000's of hours into them are also the same type of people that wanna role Play E or otherwise).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

nuru posted:

Does the final boss of Fist just always knock someone to a tiny percentage of health on that dash, or is there a way to mitigate it?

Run away to make it do less than Current Hp-1 damage.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

You don't have to run away pretty sure

At point blank it puts you to one but I'm pretty sure if you put some distance it does less damage, but that might have just been server ticks on my regen hitting just perfectly along with the hit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Estinien is gay for Alphy and is afraid to face his twink crush.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

UHD posted:

Maybe Estinien just doesn't want to get in the way of Alphinaud and Krile

Well I mean he'll have to kill Thancred then. Every time they went back to the rising stones dude was just always in her space.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

The AST class quest was.... kind of lame. Other than connecting Astrologians to Geomancers, the quest itself was.... just kinda boring. We didn't even get to go anywhere fun. We just ran around an empty Kugane. Other people were talking about going to old dungeons and poo poo, we just got Kugane. :smith:

The trade off is the AST NPC crew are the single best group in the game and are actually fun and memorable so just hanging out with them is WAY better than going to a bad old dungeon with some fucker you don't like.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Early dragoon class quests would simply make no sense if you did them after a certain point in the HW story.

I always just thought that was just "Yeah you're doing it now but canonically your WoL did this during the expac it was part of."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Did anyone ever confirm that? I actually assumed pre-release that it was "vermillion," but "veritas" got spread around and I figured that must be true because everyone said it like it came from somewhere.

I'm only up to 60 on RDM--does one of the later job quests explain the spell names or something?

Their LB3 is Vermilion Scourge. I'd bet they are short for RedAero, etc.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 29, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Or an fight has adds that need to die ASAP like in A10S.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The SB launch Extreme Primals are significantly more difficult than Whale EX but a little easier than Ravana EX which I feel is a good place to start for EX fights in a new expansion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kjermzs posted:

I don't think so. On my only run of it so far (last night) the boss literally didn't collect a single thing and the damage seemed to be less than the last boss in the Temple.

Doma and Kugane are two separate castles.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

victrix posted:

Guys guys, girls girls

FF12 HD in a week and a half :neckbeard:

You're already playing a FF MMO. You don't need to play a much much worse one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is true if you're synced down, but if you're a leveling tank with level-synced players, it's definitely not 'not hard'.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lack of aoe threat generation was a very real issue the class had, i promise i'm not making it up and i promise if your dps are not hitting the same target flash spam will not keep up.

Protip: Press Flash, Fast then Riot, Flash, repeat and congrats you've held aggro until you get shield oath.

Source: I've been leveling GLD/PLD for the past week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this doesn't work, like i said in the literal post you quoted, if your dps aren't attacking the same target. or am i just misremembering all of the paladins who had to go through and halone every target in a pull because flash sucked?

You're remembering way wrong dude. Flash is straight up the best aoe attention grabber any of the tank classes got. It was so good the majority of WAR and DRK's were cross classing it until they literally couldn't anymore.