Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
My Bride of House Fortemps glamour is finally done.

Might upgrade the sword to a Pure White dyed Gordian sword tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Asimo posted:

Now just imagine trying to get your weekly drop with 50 minutes of DPS queues between attempts. :iamafag:

It really is the worst possible combination of random drop and token-based systems.

And like most problems in this game it's solved by running it with 1-3 friends.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Minrad posted:

in my experience none of the healers need piety in the current content, but everyone keeps complaining about running out of mana anyway :shrug:

If you're DPSing a lot mana can get a little tight.

That's why I party with a Bard.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ayyy the servers got hosed right as I was queuing for delta v1.0. That's radical, I didn't even want to play this video game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

nuru posted:

O2 seemed incredibly straightforward to me, but maybe I rotate my camera more than most people.

Also having played old FF games actually is a bit relevant there.

Yeah I don't know either. The only tricky one is the "Stand in the center" one and you just have to swing down once to see "Oh this pattern means go here."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Givin posted:

My previous favorite characters included Moenbryda

Okay real question here: Why? She was in like 1 patch and had really 0 interesting things to add the the cast or setting. Hell even the whole "Secret Scion who's Yda's best friend and Urianger's GF out of nowwhere" just helped seal her fate as "Actually unimportant character but we're about to kill her off so we need to make some cheap cheap pathos." dead meat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

She was more useful than all the other scions combined for her brief, beautiful existence at the time. Besides which, the only character in this whole stupid game who even functions as a character is Alphinaud. Everyone else is essentially a 1-note cardboard cut-out with less depth than the 2.0 blm rotation. Moenbryda has exactly the same amount of depth and personality as Thancred, Y'shtola, Papalymo, and barely less than Yda despite just finishing an entire expansion that was theoretically supposed to heavily feature her developing and evolving as a character but then... didn't.

She was useful by coming up with the bright and amazing plan of "What if we hit them with a really big aetherial stick?" She was a nothing character without the hope of development because her backstory might as well have read "A traveling seer told me I'd die young and also I'm a week from retirement and thinking about asking my boyfriend to marry me."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arzachel posted:

Why do people bind poo poo to number keys past 5?

I've played Piano all my life so the 1 to = are really easy for me to reach with one hand quickly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

The SB alchemist quests have some really interesting lore implications.

Particularly the idea that the Calamity could have been avoided if it wasn't for the actions of F'lhammin and her friends. You read that right, Minfillia's catmom indirectly caused the Calamity.

What? How?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Also alphy <3 krile :333

True.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it's particularly fair to say that. The Omega in FFXIV isn't the (entirely characterless optional superboss) from FFV and while the bosses are straight references they have a fair bit of their own style to them. I don't see it as anything meaningfully different so far from the Guard Scorpion or Matoya or Cloud of Darkness or whoever. Omega itself has FFXIV exclusive flavor which I think is the important part. (And it's hard for me to complain about 'from another dimension' when the dragons and voidsent are also from other worlds and none the less are a part of FFXIV's setting and Omega's been around since at least the Allegan era.)

I mean the plot could finish with nothing but "and then you finished Omega's tournament and everything ended" but I feel like there's probably going to be at least one or two twists there that help define its role in the world.

it's also not entirely fair since Nero literally spends the fight intros to Delta 3 and 4 saying "Oh here's the fairy tales they're based on and hey some scholars think those books are based on Events X and Y in Eorzean history."

And if doing these boss fights in a brand new combat system where almost nothing inherently transfers isn't enough to count as a cover for your standards your standards are kind of hosed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I hit 70 on PLD right before the loving maintenance god dammit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what's the problem? there's no real point in comparing NQ to HQ prices.

Goonlords get very mad that people would rather get their money and profit now then make slightly larger profit in a week because capitalism is the prisoners dilemma but we're all part of it and nobody cares.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

the healers are all fine right now, play what you like

WHM has the best mana efficiency, the biggest heals, and the highest personal dps, all of which may or may not make up for the complete absence of utility.
SCH has a gigantic toolbox of mitigation and free healing oGCDs between itself and the fairy, which come at the cost of underwhelming healing GCDs that run you dry if you/your cohealer are bad.
AST has Expanded Balance.

AST actually has more cards now that you can't click off sub-optimal RR effects. Play the hand you're dealt (Except Spear through that in minor arcana that poo poo's next to useless.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I think there's a happy medium to be found between that and "all stories and patches will have the exact same structure from now to eternity".

Such as? I can't think of an MMO that does that kind of thing. Or at least, does it as well, as consistently, and with quality content like FFXIV does.

I'm willing to bet that the reliable planned structure is part of what lets them focus on what they want to develop and get it out consistently.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mazed posted:

Well, after Haurchefant, I was afraid the WoL's heart had forever closed to love.

But then Zenos came along, and the passion was back and more flammable than ever.

Can't believe they killed the canon husbando two expansions in a row.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And if you wanna be really cool/needlessly complicated, you can set up a macro button that hides hotbars you stick your job buttons and other rarely used things in. :v:

I enjoy making stupid macros for my HUD.

Pastebin these macross so I can finally be free of clutter!. At least that first one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're not that complicated actually.

pre:
/micon "Misc"
/hotbar Display 6 Toggle
/hotbar Display 7 Toggle
pre:
/hotbar display 1
/hotbar display 2
/hotbar display 3
/hotbar display 4
/hotbar display 9
/hud "status effects"
/hud "parameter bar"
/bm
I've been thinking of figuring out a better one that dynamic reassigns actions to a single set of hotbars and you can just keep pressing the macro button (which itself gets swapped out every time you push it) to cycle through various "pages" (combat jobs, crafters/gatherers, emotes/misc junk, etc). I just have to figure out if things other than job actions can be assigned on the fly like that via macros (especially other macros).

Is there a way to similarly hide class UI stuff? Because Boy I'm sick of looking at the PLD gauge outside of combat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

Doma Castle (Hard)

That's gonna be the flooded underwater parts of the castle and the final boss will be Gogo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

My favorite is getting the spear in the held slot. :)

Pop it on yourself then pop you refresh. Easy work!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So I made an alt on Excal to play with goons from time to time. Who did i need to bother about getting into one of the FCs?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Aquapolis/Canals are just a loot lottery, getting aggravated/worrying about getting to the end is only going to make you feel dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

To be fair the cone on that thing is ABSURDLY janky and much much wider than it looks like it should be

Just stick close the the boss and run to the 180 of her facing. You can just walk through enemies in this game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

My static, The Swole Goblins, also made it to O3S this week. We've come a long way from failing to even complete A1S.

Shout out to our one death, pictured here, who died getting the final hit with an LB1 because he wanted to do a goof where he gave me a panic attack because he wanted to wait for the LB2 at 1%

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I desperately hope it's FFTA/12 era Ivalice and not the "everything sucks and we're going to die and magic is dying and every place is an earth tone mud hole" world of Tactics because BOY that...really wouldn't be interesting at all for a place to visit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

we're going to get the darkest timeline where they reuse FFXII models for the Ivalice races and have lovely ugly fish people Nu Mou and all the viera are wearing bondage gear instead of cool outfits

Those are cool outfits tho??????

Thundarr posted:

One of these has bunnygirls, so we know which one the fans wants.

The other is grimdark medieval politics & war and yoship is a big fan of GoT so...

That said I still like FFT's setting and I would mark out for a Lionel Castle gate-style fight.

Hey, at least 40 mins of the 2 hours of plot FF12 had were dedicated to discussion of Senate massacres and succession crisises

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tyty posted:

They'd probably base it off this

Though it's not like FFXIV doesn't have fashion crimes. What even are Yda's pants?

Booty Shorts?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The story is going to be that Zodiark is right and he shouldn't have been separated from the cosmic balance but tried to fix it in a super rear end in a top hat way and once we kill him Hydelyn Momma Crystal will go super berserk with light since there's no more dark to fight it back (whether or not this is intentional or she's just stupid is 50/50 split) and we'll have to beat her back into dormancy and find a way to reset the balance because mysterious powers that be haven't been right since like...FF5?

Which is where the 'people's faith makes primals' and 'the world believes in the WoL as a savior' comes in and we use their faith to become new Zodiark.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 23, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

You may be able to explain "my character is a catlady" to your dad, but you will probably have a harder time maintaining his respect if you insist that she wear a bikini at all times.

It's okay to want to be a cute girl and maybe this mmo could help you ease your dad into this topic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bolow posted:

You know I played WoW for like 8 goddamn years, but I swear I've seen more goddamn puns and references in these quest names in the week I've played than I ever had in WoW.

I don't know whether to be disgusted or amazed

Here's the difference between WoW's jokes and FFXIV. XIV will name a quest Notorious B.I.G.G.S.

WoW will make an NPC named Lank who wears a green tunic and hat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Although I guess it's not entirely fair to lay that entirely at WOW's feet because every Final Fantasy game in the last two decades has had characters named after Star Wars characters.

Yeah but they live to die early or be reoccurring fodder. They don't dedicate instance content to one (bad) joke that we named this Indiana Jones pastiche after his actor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Griz posted:

haven't had one of these for a while

also I changed my healer outfit for the first time in a year so here's another glamour shot for the new guy

A little late but what is this entire set?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's good but sometimes I wish he'd actually write something relevant to the game lore and interesting instead of memeing when these happen

The mount guide has lore for every mount and you can hover over the preview image for more stuff.

efb

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

My group meets two nights a week for 2-3 hours each night, we cleared OS1 and 2 the first week and have been stuck on Hali (Mostly because of life causing late starts or sub ins, etc.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

That poo poo is why I quit raiding back when we were still working on A1S. Getting eight people to all show up on time every week is just literally impossible. Pugging has its frustrations, but at least when you're ready to play you can just play and not worry whether your seven friends are all ready too.

Eh, it's mostly just been late starts and we're having fun playin the game with our friends (We were a friend group well before FFXIV so this is just something we do now). I'm not really all that driven to finish the raid content ASAP. I'm pretty loving well geared and next patch is a catch up one so my alt classes will get there. I just wanna see the fights and clear them at least once, tbh, and get better at healing and this is ideal even with the missed weeks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think the return skip in Haukke manor makes it feel a lot shorter than it is, both because it cuts a lot of time out and because it makes it FEEL shorter.

Even doing the walk back there only 1 new pull (the guys on the stares) compare to just Return'ing back. also Haukke is way shorter because there's only one room between the second boss and the final boss and that room features a single enemy that flees at ~60% HP.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I unironically can't wait until the provisional government of Ala Mhigo falls apart due to in fighting because Lyse seems like an absolutely poo poo leader who learned exactly all the wrong lessons. They set up a direct parallel with Hein promising to remember the tragedy of Yotsyuy's life, a tragedy she was sold into (twice!) because of how hosed Doman society was under his father, and Lyse's massive hate boner for Fordola and her allies, people that had no real hope or opportunity their lives except the dream of working for the Empire and getting the gently caress out.

That parallel is probably going to be focused on a lot in the 4.X series as both nations rebuild and Fordola and Yotsuyu get expanded on a bit. Especially considering Yotsuyu has grandpa Gotestsu there to listen to her and perhaps help her find a better path and Lyse's plan for Fordola is to just let her rot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Double Resonance Eye, Fully Used To It Rage Fordola ends up being the 4.3/4.4 'Stormblood Finale' boss fight where the big fancy version of Revolutions plays like Nidhogg, Mad Ghost Edition was for HW.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Haquer posted:

lmao

E:

oh lord he thinks I'm the other goon, nice

You're both really dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

This game is also about redemption. Fordola will be given a chance to join the Scions as a penance for her crimes. She'll be exiled from Ala Mhigo and told to serve the rest of her life as a Scion, away from her homeland, the one thing she loved. So she gets punished and has to do good. Plus, it spices up the Scion roster.

She didn't love her homeland at all though? Seriously she resented her life and the decisions of her parent's generation that lead the country to become a devastated hole in the ground. She hated the people that still fought what was (until very very very recently) and entirely hopeless battle that would decimate their ranks even more Fordola and her supporters and the other people working for the Garleans did so not out of some love of country, but because they had no better option but to end up dead in a desert. No hope for the future, no past to take pride in. They were a lost generation, and that's why she was willing to give it all to Garleans for some hope of better tomorrow.

Hell, even in the end the war was won by sheer luck and stupidity. Zenos in control of Shinryu could have easily killed everyone. The thing was just shy of Bahamut it power scale. The only reason we had a chance was because he didn't give two shits about the rebellion. he openly invited and allowed us to build our forced and push forward. He lets us have a chance by taking us in a direct fight. Literally the only reason Fordola isn't watching Lyse in prison right now and showing her how stupid she was to believe in a free Ala Mhigo is Zenos' massive battle boner.

Forola and the skulls and the other collaborators did do some hosed up poo poo, but many of them had no better choice for most of their lives. Fordola was young enough to not know anything but Imperial rule. She's been serving long enough to reach one of the highest ranks available. Of course she isn't going to turn coat and run when some wispy blonde comes back after not being there for most of her life, not seeing the pain and agony the rebels struggle causes the people. Lyse's story will only be interesting/whole if there's actually someone to test her beliefs and decisions and Fordola is way better suited as the Iron Will against her than some lovely redemption arc where she's effectively set free with no real character development or focus.

It's set up to be contrast with Yotsuyu's backstory where she was robbed of her future not by the Empire but by the structure of her own country. She was not failed by her ancestors' struggle she was failed by Hein's father allowing such gross poo poo to happen among his people because all he cared about was avoiding total destruction. It doesn't matter if your society is broken at a fundamental level, your own kinsmen turned against each other, you cut out their rights, as long as they're alive it's been good enough. Even with his rebellion Cyan (whatever the gently caress his name was) was too late to make good on what he had allowed, his society was already corrupt and awful. Fordola's problems is she genuinely believed the empire was the way to go, because it was the only glimmer of hope for her for so long to the point that she would put down her countrymen to force them into equal submission. Yotsuyu didn't give a poo poo about the Empire, or garlemeld or anyone, all she wanted was to be safe and be in control. Eventually this turned sadistic and focused on enacting revenge on Doma at large. Hein admits Yotsuyu's suffering was unjust and directly promises her, even after all she's done, he'll keep her struggle in mind moving forward, because her leaders, his fathers, failed her. Fordola on the other hand has Lyse who expressly sees no reason and has not empathy towards Fordola and her followers. She is purposefully spiteful to her at the end, basically telling her to rot. Lyse has stated she has learned nothing from her journey's in Ala Mhigo, seen nothing worth fixing, and holds absolutely no understanding of those that were stuck there suffering with no way out but death or servitude.

Like given how much the game loves to show Hein as a smart, capable leader, its very much going out of its way to set up Lyse as someone that is stumble and will continue to stumble with the reins of leadership. And Fordola is probably going to a much bigger part of that than just 'And then we put her on trial.'

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 10, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Regarding the conversation about the Garlean Scientist, I wouldn't be surprised if he used that soul extraction stuff and downloaded himself into a Magitek Robot Body before dying. I wouldn't be disappointed either, he WAS criminally underused and I like the idea of a boss fight where he jumps from one big war machine to another trying to beat us.

Well I mean there probably won't be primals in the Garlemeld based expansion since that's mostly an Eorzean thing since the empire wiped out the beast tribes of its region so SOMEONE has to pilot/possess all the Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire WEAPON knock-offs we'll be fighting instead of primals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Emerald Weapon doing a flamboyant mad scientist monologue while in the process of wrecking your poo poo would be pretty great. It's also a way to bring Nero along for the next expansion because he would NOT stand for that (unless he got to design and pilot the weapons himself).

They don't even have to mecha-ize them like they did Ultima weapon. Garlemeld under that scientist nerd got real into creepy bio-tech poo poo with the wheelers and things. you could just have the FF7 weapons just as is.