Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

jalapeno_dude posted:

Can you link that? It sounds fascinating.

It was at Blizzcon, not sure if they put it online. The gist was that a dude (who they completely threw under the bus) implemented the equipped gear to be hardcoded inventory slots after the first bag that weren't shown. It was a static array that was referenced all over the codebase. Growing that bag would require changing everything that touched inventory and equipment.

Or something like that. That guy doesn't work there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I haven't read about it but I can guess why: project working from an old codebase using questionable software engineering in order to meet a deadline that is now many many years past but they still have to deal with the consequences of their terrible decisions

e: haha yup

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
My biggest complaint about dungeons is that shortcuts aren't shortcuts and more long walks of shame.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tsurupettan posted:

NIN is very complete and the post-60 stuff is just overall nice additions, but you won't feel bad without it.

Source: I boosted a NIN.

agreed that ninja should work well because pretty much everything after 50 on that class is just gravy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

What's the general consensus on the melee DPS classes? I made an alt on Excalibur recently and I'm looking to buy a level 60 jump potion, and since as I've only really played SMN, PLD, and AST on my main, I thought I'd try something different this time. Obviously raw damage output is going to change from patch to patch, but I'd rather not spend $25 on a jump and then find out that the class is going to feel like it's missing a button or three until I hit level 70 on it. I'm kind of thinking NIN at the moment, but I'm indecisive about these things.

New dragoon needs some work--it feels about one or two iterations from being a fully realized class

I'm not as down on it as other people but I wouldn't spend money to boost it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

What's the general consensus on the melee DPS classes? I made an alt on Excalibur recently and I'm looking to buy a level 60 jump potion, and since as I've only really played SMN, PLD, and AST on my main, I thought I'd try something different this time. Obviously raw damage output is going to change from patch to patch, but I'd rather not spend $25 on a jump and then find out that the class is going to feel like it's missing a button or three until I hit level 70 on it. I'm kind of thinking NIN at the moment, but I'm indecisive about these things.

NIN is extremely good and fun, and I think considered the most valuable melee DPS in parties, too, because it provides good damage boosts to everyone else. If you like the idea of Naruto-ing your way across Kugane, go NIN.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Nin is good and rides a frog

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

nuru posted:

It was at Blizzcon, not sure if they put it online. The gist was that a dude (who they completely threw under the bus) implemented the equipped gear to be hardcoded inventory slots after the first bag that weren't shown. It was a static array that was referenced all over the codebase. Growing that bag would require changing everything that touched inventory and equipment.

Man, everytime I hear about a function not being able to change in a game that's been out for years, it's always because "X hardcoded Y and everything references it". It almost feels like no game dev should be hardcoding anything with how much games can change.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Harrow posted:

If you like the idea of Naruto-ing your way across Kugane, go NIN.

Every time I'm forced to run around like a loving airplane, my soul dies a little more. Also my character's back.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

You should be mashing spacebar so much you can't even see the running animation.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Man, everytime I hear about a function not being able to change in a game that's been out for years, it's always because "X hardcoded Y and everything references it". It almost feels like no game dev should be hardcoding anything with how much games can change.

This is true of almost everything TBH.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There is no such thing as good code. No matter how well you think you've written it, you will discover in a few months or years that it was actually bad.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I know some people here have been hit with the PS4 bug causing a complete reinstall of the game. Sony has released a system patch for the PS4 to fix the problem.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/d363d4f11beddbd114442940de8f324437298ac2

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Umbreon posted:

The flip side is when someone decides to abstract everything and now you want to figure out where an object is being constructed and you're 8 layers deep in callback hell and aaaaaaa

Basically,

cheetah7071 posted:

There is no such thing as good code. No matter how well you think you've written it, you will discover in a few months or years that it was actually bad.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

nuru posted:

Aha, yes, the 'some other fucker did it, but he's gone now'.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cheetah7071 posted:

Far more likely that someone else will discover it, wonder at this dumb chucklefuck, and continue to try to bandaid it

Later, the cycle continues, an ouroboros of crappy c++

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So what's my gear path as a DoL for 50-70? I've got all three in the mid 40's and am wondering if there's vendor gear I can get by on as I go, or are there scrip sets I should be aiming for? Same question for DoH, since those are close behind my DoLs.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Not being a game developer, I've always imagined that problems like the magical tiny inventory bag are just the natural course of things if you're in a hurry to write complicated, high performance things that probably won't kill anyone in C++

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thinking about how the systems are implemented I wouldn't be surprised if gear in ffxiv is a collection of seperate pointers to names, stats, and appearance, with individualized variables for materia, aetherial stats, spiritbond, etc. This would mean that the only way to check two items are the same is to check if they point to the same name string and would make a glamour library extremely painful to implement

e: e.g. so your Ala Mhigan Jacket of Maiming would have a separate pointer to the mesh for the item and to the string "Ala Mhigan Jacket of Maiming" and to the stat values, instead of having a single pointer to an object that has all those things in one place.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So I haven't played this game in a long while now, I absentmindedly opened the launcher and suddenly felt the desire to get back into it. And one of the first things I noticed was that there's a "callback campaign". So if anyone on the goon server somehow has a Zeus Carver in their friends list, invite me to return and earn a prize!!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Well, after Haurchefant, I was afraid the WoL's heart had forever closed to love.

But then Zenos came along, and the passion was back and more flammable than ever.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Thinking about how the systems are implemented I wouldn't be surprised if gear in ffxiv is a collection of seperate pointers to names, stats, and appearance, with individualized variables for materia, aetherial stats, spiritbond, etc. This would mean that the only way to check two items are the same is to check if they point to the same name string and would make a glamour library extremely painful to implement

I started to envision what the code for this would look like in my head and reflexively flinched

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is there way to bind the gravitational button from 2.0 or the vril from lakshmi to a keyboard shortcut or mouse button?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is there way to bind the gravitational button from 2.0 or the vril from lakshmi to a keyboard shortcut or mouse button?

Yes. It's the "duty action" keybind in the Hotbars section of the keybinds menu, all the way at the bottom.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I and the party I recruited through /shout in Stormwind walked all the way across the continent on foot to get to the Scarlet Monastary, where we had time to do maybe one of the multiple wings before people had to quit and the process repeated.

I gotta be honest, a part of me does miss those days and the feeling of achievement/exploration, but I can sure as hell see why 2.0 had easy access to teleports and alternative currencies over completely random drops.

The other day, some of us were doing the 13 fate chain in the Azim Steppes. During multiple points in that chain, there are 20 minute breaks between fates. About six of us were there and during the breaks, some people crafted, some people ran around, others dance, and some just sat by the campfire.

It was weird because for a moment it brought back feelings of "togetherness" you don't often feel in MMOs today since most interactions are so fleeting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

nuru posted:

I probably should have said vanilla WoW simply had more items and thus variety of stats / types? Generally the latest patch had the best itemization (for instance, Dire Maul blew everything out of the water), but Scholomance/Strat/Ubrs all had different gear that was better for different people based on class. There were also the stupidly rare items like Headmaster's Charge but we should ignore those. Some of this probably stems from the way you design itemization when every dungeon needs unique loot, vs people buying off vendors.

They all looked like a clown suit though, I agree with you if that's where you're coming from.

Vanilla WoW has more sources of items and more stat variety but 90% of the itemization was garbage.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

slev posted:

You should be mashing spacebar so much you can't even see the running animation.

super good av/post combo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've been playing on Faerie in my friend's tiny FC for the past few weeks, and it's been okay, but now with this raid coming out and that FC only having a few people and a single raid group that I'm not in, I've run out of poo poo to do solo. I'm thinking about doing a character transfer to Excalibur, so that I can maybe try Savage with goons, or at least get to run the EXs for the first time (I guess I could try Party Finder, but it's scary).

So, a few questions before I drop $18:

- Can I actually transfer to Excalibur right now? Do I just have to do it early morning, like with character creation, or is it completely blocked?
- Assuming I can, if I want to do semi-casual group content, does it really matter which FC I join? Do y'all use linkshells or whatever for getting groups together across FCs?
- Uh, is anyone here in a friendly guild on Faerie that would be up for doing group content and stuff, so I can save $18 and not totally abandon my friend? :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
NIN is good at 50. It's perfect at 54. Every time I get synced to that period after Huton but before Armor Crush, my heart aches. It just makes everything so much smoother.

There's a 13 FATE chain in the Steppe? What the gently caress.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mazed posted:

Well, after Haurchefant, I was afraid the WoL's heart had forever closed to love.

But then Zenos came along, and the passion was back and more flammable than ever.

Can't believe they killed the canon husbando two expansions in a row.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Just keep in mind NIN is the class who is the least friendly to a high ping. It's still playable, but you'll definitely be a lot less than optimal if you don't have under 100 ping or so.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yellow Crafter Scrips suck.

Meanwhile I have all 3 tools and sets of gear for my gatherers.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

- Can I actually transfer to Excalibur right now? Do I just have to do it early morning, like with character creation, or is it completely blocked?

Yes, Excalibur is average sized and wasn't affected by those measures. You can transfer whenever, early mornings are for those who want to create a character.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Well I decided to try some Susano EX farming and the instance poo poo itself 3/4 of the way through so I guess I'm not playing XIV tonight.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

vOv posted:

Well I decided to try some Susano EX farming and the instance poo poo itself 3/4 of the way through so I guess I'm not playing XIV tonight.

Yeah it feels like servers are getting hit with DDoS attacks again.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rip Excalibur. Spent most of O4 fighting the server queue before too many us were just not present in the fight.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I had a very cool O3 where someone just became invisible or maybe ascended to a higher plane of existence in the middle of the lag spike and the boss didn't know what to do about it. Thanks ddosers

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leviathan bit it too tonight. Had a pleasant chat with my dungeon group before we all got booted.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Can't believe they killed the canon husbando two expansions in a row.

Excuse you, I'll have you know that Aymeric and Hien are both still doing just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Lamia too.

For a good long while I had the amazing ability to cast while moving and everything cost 0 mana, with the unfortunate downside that my spells did fuckall. Also casting a spell would interrupt itself.

Still got all the XP and a sweet coat though. Thanks, rando dungeon team!