Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kuai posted:

I'm having problems with my sound. It seems like im missing a ton of sound effects during battle. I only noticed this when I hit 60 on Sam and moved to doing the SB questline. Am I crazy?

Earlier today something happened that caused my music to stop playing. I fixed it by shutting down the client and logging back in. Maybe try the same thing (when there aren't 700+ people in the login queue)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The best part of the expansion is the level 70 red mage quest telling you no less than three times about how much of a good idea it would be to pack a few antidotes.

Also not sure if it was answered, but re: Verflare/Verholy - if you even begin to cast a different spell when the procs are up, it won't let you cast flare/holy even if you interrupt your cast.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Has anyone else had their hotbars completely reset? I logged in today after having them be perfectly fine yesterday to see this

on a handful of my jobs. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason - it struck my RDM main that I didn't notice until I was in a Susano instance, as well as my 70 DRK, and also hit my NIN and MCH, which I haven't played since the expansion dropped.

Only thing I can think of is that I made a new character on a different server last night, but I don't get how that'd affect some of my jobs and not others.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I think there's a difference between the references in the past and Omega, which is just straight copies from FF5. Like it's not even part of the world of FF14, Omega literally comes from another dimension. Compare that to the Crystal Tower series, which made the FF3 story a part of the history of Eorzea. It's just "hey here are some bosses from FF5".

It's like hearing a cover of your favorite song, except the band just plays it exactly the same note for note with nothing of their own style.

God I spent the majority of this morning trying to sort out my feelings about Omega, and I think this hits it pretty well. I love FFV, and initially seeing a handful of bosses in-game was a nice surprise, but I think the magic wore off really quickly. I hadn't thought about how it's separate physically from the rest of the world, but that's exactly it. Why should I care about the Dimensional Castle? It's a cool visual reference, but it has no presence in Eorzea like CT did.

Also there's just something a bit disappointing about not being surprised by boss designs. After V2.0 confirmed that all the bosses would be from FFV the only real surprise for me was that the V4.0 boss appears now when I expected it down the line.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Lemon King posted:

But Omega is a boss in a room, much like Bahamut and not Crystal Tower. Wouldn't Return to Ivalace be closer to Crystal Tower as a 24man raid?
I mean even Coil areas were physically present in the world, just deep underground.

Jose Valasquez posted:

The fights are cool and fun so I'm pretty happy with Omega
I don't disagree with this! 2.0 was probably my most frustrating experience but going back and doing it to get my token was a breeze, and I really liked the mechanics in 3 and 4.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Don't they explicitly write the fights for savage and then destine them by removing stuff for normal?

It's helpful to remember that Exdeath in V4.0 bites it in the exact same manner that he does in FFV: getting consumed by the void, only to be transformed (?) into Neo Exdeath.

I'm kinda hoping it's not an additional phase, but an additional Savage tier. Either that or they reduce the HP Exdeath has, cause the fight is already pretty long.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Pro tactics are passing everything but the thing you want and letting the dudes who roll on everything get their weekly first.

Less competition for the thing you actually want.

e: also if everything but the thing you want drops to the floor you know you're in for a fight.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think the normal mode token system sucks but it confounds me that between three free companies of goons, six to eight people are having trouble getting together and saying "hey a couple of nights this week lets run Omega for an hour and try to get everyone tokens".

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Running all 4 raids to get 8 people the tokens they want is really freakin' exhausting. My personal pro-strat is 'need on whatever I want, make no bones about if I get something or not. unless it's a chain/bolt, those are the most translatable tokens GDI why didn't I get a chain or bolt that run.'

I don't think you need to do them all at once, or even as a full group - even rolling in as a stack of six means you have a much higher chance of getting what you want than going in by yourself.

Like it doesn't even have to be a set, static time. It's just weird to me that there's such a large pool of people on excal allegedly willing to help yet I see people in this thread complaining about solo queuing multiple times and coming out empty handed.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The kotaku article painting two people with loads of free time as rich and uncaring elites is probably the best part.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I think part of the pacing issues were caused by you doing half of the Fringes and Peaks at the start, then doing 3 whole zones in the east, then come back and finish off the other half of those first two zones as well as the Lochs.

Maybe it wouldn't have felt so rushed if we did all of Doma first, then do all of Ala Mhigo instead of sticking the Doma story right in the middle.

Also, when is Urianger getting a new outfit? he's the only one walking around in his old rags now.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Stop posting how easy O1S is when our static group got it to 6% before enrage :mad:

Once we've killed it it is easy and only babies can't clear it hahahaha

My team saw him cast Flame at 2% and said "lol just burn it"

then we saw the orbs covering the whole arena and shifted to a panicked "holy poo poo burn it!"

Would've gotten a 2.0 clear too if Comcast lag didn't gently caress our AST and BRD.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I play red mage cause it's perfect for small brained players like myself.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I have never once seen anyone make a sexual comment in an instance on primal data center. I assume you're on Aether and Balmung is ruining everything.

This is true. I mostly see it in the middle of the city.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Actually, the biggest brained solution to the housing problem is

quote:

If you guys are looking into how Shirogane houses should be sold fairly, do this: set a criteria who can buy plot:

Large plot: only players who have reached lv70 in all jobs can buy
Medium plot: only players who have reached lv70 in all non-combat job and at least 8 combat jobs, can buy
Small plot: only players who have reached lv70 in all DoL jobs and at least 4 combat jobs, can buy

Doing so, it will make sure that only the truly dedicated players can have access to housing, reduce the dilemma of housing abuse by alts. Not only that, it'll enhance the gameplay experience in every way possible in terms of q time, & enhancing the ingame economy, etc. Please consider it.

This recommendation is for Shirogane only, since it's a premium aesthetic zone, for new player looking into housing, the Eorzea housing zone shouldn't have these criteria.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is connection to the servers still spotty? I ended my group's O4S early on Tuesday because we got hit with disconnects at 22% and on a separate run at 2%, so I'd like to make sure we don't get screwed again tonight.

Our samurai's the only one who wasn't getting hit.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If you wanna level fast maybe you should buy a level boost.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You'll boost yourself to 60 and still get Totorak in roulette.

You can't win.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Get out of here, Yoshi-P. I don't want to pay $25 for every class, though.

Honestly, if your #1 goal is to get to 60+ as fast as possible, then you should buy a One Hero's Journey from the Final Fantasy XIV Mogstation Web Store.

But DPS queues aren't nearly as bad as they were during Stormblood launch (where I saw a lot of suggestions to do 50-60 in PotD), and if you're queuing for leveling roulette you can plug out your ninja turtle dailies during the wait time, so I wouldn't recommend buying if you've got the time. Also I've gotten nothing but dungeons under level 40 for the past week in leveling roulette so you can technically be 60 but never get a chance to use the good stuff anyway.

I bought a PLD boost for my alt on Excal but that was just so I could unlock Red Mage sooner.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Red Mage feels pretty feature complete in low level dungeons because you have Scatter and Veraero/thunder. Everything should have at least that level of functionality at low level.

Partially true but if you get Totorak as red mage you end up in the hellish situation where you've got Verfire but not Verstone.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rosalind posted:

While the conversation is on this topic, I'm a fairly new tank and to the game (just hit 65 on paladin which is my first class after starting about 2 months ago). When do I do big pulls and when do I do single group pulls? It never seems like I can do it right. I try to pull multiple groups but then the ranged DPS start attacking the first group so I have to run back because they steal enmity. Or I pull a single group and a DPS writes, "zzz pull more." Or I pull 2 groups and the healer lets me die, even if I pop all my defensive cooldowns. Or I pull one group only and a DPS decides to pull a second group for me and just train it back to me. It just feels like whatever choice I make it's the wrong choice.

I know one lesson here is "This is what happens when you play with pubbies and that's just the way it's going to be." But is there some other indicator I should be looking out for? Since I'm a tank, I'm really trying to improve and provide a good experience for everyone since I really do sorta lead the way in dungeons. I always ask for feedback from my groups after each dungeon but never get any.

You can throw out some tomahawks/shield lobs/dark.... orbs.... while you're running to the next pack.

My rule of thumb when running with randos is to pull two groups, and if for whatever reason the healer can't keep up I'll slow it down.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'll gladly wait for cutscenes if they inject even more exp directly into my eyeballs.

Or at least I would if I even ran MSQ roulette anymore.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I could see myself being baited into running a longer MSQ roulette with a chunky enough exp/item (matter?) bribe. Especially once I finish off my tanks and healers.

But I do think they should change it to a solo instance. Maybe even one you could bring other people into if you were in a party, but one that could still be completed by yourself with NPC friendos tagging along.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I timed out my very first Praetorium cause the group couldn't figure out the 2nd Ultima fight and this one black mage got Really Mad about it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

What's there to figure out, aside from "kill the bits" and "don't stand in the bad"?

Unless maybe there was a time when pubbies were actually in danger of letting Ultima go off at the end.

Dude it's been four years. I can't remember what went wrong, and the only reason I remember the black mage part is because the guy came back to me in tells later because someone bitched him out to his FC leader and he thought it was me.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Thordan hard was a streamroller when I did it, a few days after Heavensward came out. It was big and flashy and a nice ending, but certainly not difficult compared to half of the dungeon final bosses.

Nidhogg hard took me multiple groups over a few hours.

As a fresh 60 three days into the expansion I tried tanking both of the brothers in Thordaddy.

Turns out double bladedance can kill.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was solo tanking that all the time. Seemed like the right time for holmgang.

me (big brain): rampart will take care of this!!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It's time for dodore leather to make a comeback.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Wow. I never thought I would be sitting here wanting to make a totally normal plainclothes glamour, but here we are.

Aren't there a couple pairs of pants that look suspiciously like jeans with the right dye?

Why settle for "suspiciously like jeans" when the Tantalus leg piece is just dad jeans?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Last night during O7S my finger slipped and I accidentally hit the key next to my Surecast bind.

This is how I was reminded that Tether is a skill that Red Mage has.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Winners should be allowed to do an honorable thing and delete their accounts without brining shame to their families. Losers should keep their accounts, but they would be instantly queued for Aurum Vale once they log in and they should be stripped of all glamours.

Thank god we don't live in a hell world where this is allowed.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I spent something like four? hours in Eureka yesterday spread throughout the day.

It's okay, I guess. If you're only interested in the lore you can wait until your one friend leveling in Eureka is 20 and have them carry you up, since while exp is split between party members you get exp relative to the level of the monster you're fighting. I also tagged a couple of NMs, and got a bunch of fireworks and materia from lockboxes.

I think it'd be a good place to introduce battlecraft levequests, especially since I've let my leves cap out after getting all my crafters to 70. Having stuff for gatherers to grab would also be cool, since we're not in Diadem's hellscape of true sound mobs hovering over mining points.

E: oh yeah my hands also started hurting by the time I ran my 2nd exp party. That's bad, they should do something about that.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 14, 2018

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I don't have a quote for it, but I recall in some interview the devs have talked about shutting down diadem entirely.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hyperion is the home of Tepe's Treasures, run by the madam Queen Tepe, who I spotted doing the idol event last night singling out "frequent guests" to her brothel.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Gonna need roaming gangs of at least two full parties of level 20 healers and red mages canvassing the zone for dead dudes, extorting the deceased for money and dinosaur mounts.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If you wanna jump on the NM train switch to healer or RDM and don't drop your power level in shout chat. Nine times out of ten if I just said "RDM lfg" in shout I'd get an invite, even at low levels. No fuss, no muss.

Pazuzu could disintegrate you with a funny look and people would still appreciate just having you there as a raise bot.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, Pazuzu can do that to just about anybody from 1 - 17 so I don't really care what level you are. I roll around Eureka as a tank specifically so that I can guarantee a gold out of things, so it doesn't much matter if my party is full of level 20 badasses or level 2 wee babs. Assuming you can get into a party (I've not seen people be super picky but that could just be my experience), I have no idea why you'd ever grind mobs instead of just sticking with the train.

If you really must focus only on low level NMs for maximum efficiency, just grab a high level friend and have them speedkill the low level ones that the train never bothers with, then leave and reinstance to do it all over again. :v:

Hell, one time when I was with friends between 3 ~ 6 we saw that the train was working on Hazmat, but couldn't easily make it up there. Instead we tried spawning Lord of Anemos to bait them out of there and then ride the train back up. Some other group spawned Teles first but the train came down anyway and Lord popped right after so it works!!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Eopia posted:

You uh.. You were aware that you can ferry people on either Draught Chocobo from the recruit a friend campaigns right, that cost no money...?

Maybe they have no friends.

e: that play this game.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I hope they let you retrieve an item from it before they get rid of the old glamour system entirely.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hey cool dudes. My team of clowns is progging O8S (we hit enrage on the first bit last week), but our ninja is getting his life slapped by upcoming final exams. We're looking for a melee DPS sub for tonight, and potentially next week, if he's still locked down. Shoot me a message on Discord at Vitamin#0001 if you're interested.

We've already cleared O5-7S for this week, fyi.

E: jesus christ I forgot to mention we start at 7PM CST

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Sometimes they come up early, unless it's a housing patch, in which case they'll keep it on schedule for fairiness.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I get up an hour before maintenance is scheduled to end, just in case.