Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

LegionAreI posted:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but before we say anything is unmitigated poo poo, why not wait until the servers are up to, you know, actually see how the changes play? This is coming from a SMN/SCH main too.

We have a whole ten more levels too, it's possible if that things are poo poo they'll be adjusted before the small differences between tanks and healers are relevant in savage or whatever. FFXIV has never been a game where minor imbalances make jobs completely unusable for anything.

I mean, in general I agree with "wait and see" but your second point is also a strawman. No one is saying the changes make SCH or SMN unusable, and obviously how they do in ~challenging content~ is different, but you will still spend a lot of time in 4-man dungeons and being synced without your level 70 toolkit is still a thing, so one can still draw some conclusions from numbers without having played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Line, on Excalibur

Sure was smart putting such a long instanced duty so early in the storyline :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Game can apparently only have so many instances and it's an instanced quest early in the chain.

Also one that's pretty long so I don't think that line is really getting shorter :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a completely problem free first day of a popular MMO expansion, but it's also really loving stupid that they put in an instance bottleneck basically at the start of the MSQ, especially when the MSQ gates pretty much everything in the expansion. It's amazing to me because HW had two different quest chains at the start with two different solo instances in order to avoid this exact problem. It's like they did the exact opposite of learning a lesson.

I have massive WoW flashbacks. The first expansion had a single zone herding everyone through and it was a clusterfuck. They deliberately used two new zones in their next expansion and the one after that (even though in the latter, Cataclysm, one zone was a much less popular underwater zone). Then in the next expansion they forgot all about it, forced everyone through the same zone, which their servers couldn't handle. So everyone got stuck in the mandatory "take helicopter to fly to new expansion" pseudo-cutscene right in the beginning.

And with everyone now joining the servers (Excalibur was "fine" when Americans were asleep :v:) you can't even do any other content because most of it also relies on instance servers that are getting hammered, it's amazing. In the age of the :smithcloud: I expect load balancing to work better than in 2007, and I expect devs to know about and take into account the weaknesses of their infrastructure when designing the game and launching "early access", but here we are.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 16, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Because people losing their mind over this are completely fascinating to me.

Yo, I totally get being frustrated, but goddamn are some people getting severely buttmad.

Nice strawman. Most of the criticism is reasonable, you just chose to ignore that so you could reply to one that is remotely "buttmad".

The semantics don't matter. They're selling the game as "early access" (you're paying for the game while this is going on) yet designed it in a moronic way that exacerbates the problem of exploding launch-day servers (which is to be expected to some extent, this is not the main issue) by also breaking non-instanced content so people can't spread out over the world map and at least play other parts of the game (this is the actual problem).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

I disconnected in a PvP match an hour ago and decided to call it a night, but my friends say my character still shows up online in the same PvP instance.

rip character, forever stuck waging war in the limbo

I got disconnected towards the end of a shatter match, and by the time the queue let me log back in, I was alone in the PvP instance with the results screen open and I've gotten the rewards np.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why does Hall of the Novice have queues for single-player scenarios but critical MSQ steps don't?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be giving out about the instance thing if I could just go do other stuff. But that's two DC's out of PvP. I was in a party with another DGKK lad who got DC'd while we were about to queue for 50/60 DR. Plenty of others are getting DC'd mid dungeon and PotD. FATEs are a mess with so many people. So like...yeah, I could go slap a training dummy, but that kinda sucks.

Same. I was able to idle and run ARR/HW beast tribe dailies alright, but once I started trying instanced stuff (PvP, HW dungeons for my alt's post-3.0 MSQ) I lost connection every second instance, and the SB zones occasionally get massive lag - I assume the fate trains and people waiting next to Raubahn aren't helping matters.

big nipples big life posted:

Should we have gotten the preorder items (earrings etc.) today or do they show up for actual launch?

I think they don't send them out till the 20th?

Mordiceius posted:

Don't 👏 take 👏 time 👏 off 👏 work 👏 for 👏 MMO 👏 launches. 👏

I generally agree with that (because there's always the chance something's broken and unfun, and playing 2-3 days later really shouldn't be an issue) but you're being a real idiot about it, congratulations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

That's the biggest irony in all this, IMO. They know how to do this right. Then someone checked and 7 people per hour per server are getting through the instance. Something's terribly wrong there.

ARR had massive issues with duties too, hinting at how this might not be the smartest idea if you expect a lot more players - of course, ARR was much smaller and didn't affect everyone equally. Some people got their characters stuck in error 3102/90000 hell and couldn't progress the MSQ or any class past level 10 or 15 because of the instanced quests, but most players only got booted from duties occasionally and could continue playing in the pre-launch period. I wasn't there for the HW launch but I was counting on them having learned something :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I am so confused.
I went into Stormblood, talked to Raubahn, went outside the camp and saw a huge conga line snaking through half the area. I followed it to the end, didn't see anything and promptly turned around and went the other direction towards my Scion buddies showing me the new main camp and the next huge area after.
Will this 'early bottleneck' come up soon?

The conga line ends at Raubahn, he won't be there until you have the quest and he's usually culled until you're on top of him because there's so many players there. You'll be sent back to the first zone from that first camp - you can do the MSQ and sidequests in the next zone, and the sidequests in the first zone, but eventually you'll have to do the instanced duty where the conga line is.

If you take your time or have to wait for certain quest mobs to respawn, you can spend up to two hours questing before you have to do Raubahn's duty.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 17, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm so sorry

But I had to.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is it just me/some option or did the default position for controller input really change? I used to be able to mash NUM0 to activate stuff like doors or teleporters and hit the "accept" prompt that came up, but now the prompt is always on "cancel" or "leave" which is slightly annoying.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

One thing I really hope they take away from all of this: Don't make solo instances for MSQ for leveling content anymore, or at the very least make them much much much later in the story. Ambushing random magitek armors should not be a bottleneck for story, jfc.

Also I'm not sure which is funnier, the angry people on reddit or the people defending it on reddit.

I'm not very hopeful, their big take away is more likely going to be "welp, infrastructure not good enough, sorry guys". Cargo cult game development :woop:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

For the love of god don't buy a story skip until they fix the MSQ bottleneck.

It's "fine" on Omega. Or it was, briefly, in the morning :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kuai posted:

does this repeat and it seems like it selects leave for me or did i just set it up wrong?

I'm pretty sure that's related to what I posted before. The default in dialogues used to be accept/okay, but now many prompts default to leave/cancel and it throws this script off. Unless there's an option that makes their default accept, and ours leave :iiam:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The single player instances are fine. Heavensward had a ton of them and I never saw a problem.

Maybe just not 1 hour into the new content, and maybe have some resources set aside for them.

And maybe think about what you put into them. Like many before it, the Raubahn one doesn't even need to be a singleplayer instance (oh no it's not epic enough if dozens of people are in the area steamrolling the enemies) and it's sort of long because the things you kill have a lot of HP - doing it with the wrong class or by being bad makes it take up to 10 minutes. The Pipin one is okay as a singleplayer instance because of how it advances the plot, but it's even longer. Both aren't quite trivial enough so it's possible some people even fail them. So if you limit your singleplayer quest instances to x simultaneous ones per datacenter, this alone will make it worse compared to eg. the early ARR ones that were clogged up taking about five minutes for pseudo boss fights you couldn't really lose.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They didn't implement any fixes, chances are they just turned off the limiter or relaxed it.

You can now load the instances, get disconnected with 90006, then be unable to get back into the game with 90002. Progress I guess. What a shitshow.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I don't remember having this much trouble during WoD, but maybe I just got lucky in dodging the problems.

Rab is just banishing me to the phantom zone now... got a long load then kicked out. All attempts to re-login for awhile are met with a 90002.

It's fine, all MMOs ever had these issues on launch days. Especially in the past 10 years!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Oh, so the card system isn't a huge game-changer. Looking at that guide and others gave me the impression that the deck was critically important to playing one well and just as important as learning their actual spell rotations.

Alrighty then.

Managing your cards is actually part of playing AST well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Did summoner get hit all that hard? It seemed like there was a lot to make up for the loss of aoe which seemed to effect a lot of classes.
Late, but on top of what Jinh said, my biggest issues so far are:
  • AoE nerf is way over the top for SMN - Bane, Shadowflare, Deathflare all got hit pretty hard, Miasma 2 is gone. I guess you can spam Tri-Bind.
  • The Bane nerf alone is just a numbers thing though, it doesn't affect gameplay directly so I can pretend everything is fine and spread my two DoTs.
  • Shadowflare, yeah it's an oGCD now, but it's also less powerful and you can't move it anymore, which is a major pain unless your tank never moves mobs out of the area.
  • You spend a lot of time just casting variants of Ruin, because you essentially lost two more DoTs with cast time to maintain (Ruin and Shadowflare) and can't use your Aetherflow skills in Dreadwyrm Trance.
  • "single nearest target" is probably the dumbest way to do the new group utility pet buff, so of course that's what they did
  • Sustain is gone, all you have to heal your pet with is Physick, which scales with mind and is awful for summoners - if you ever wanted to use tank pets to tank harder enemies like boss fates, now you don't
Maybe it all balances out in raw numbers with the new upgraded spells, but in general gameplay, summoner feels downgraded in almost every way to me except, yay, you get to summon Bahamut-egi. For some people that will be enough I guess.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Good news, you can gently caress up slightly and end up with even more of a penalty now if you ever manage to waste a charge.

Summoner was not hard before.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Hard? No. Annoying? Very yes.

Also gently caress up how? The only thing that can miss is bane, and missing a bane still only puts you back 60 seconds, instead of 120 like before.

That and I haven't missed a bane for over 2 years.

You were not losing 2 minutes before unless you lost the stacks entirely. You could gently caress up a fester or bane, the next aetherflow refreshed AF stacks to 3 of which you needed one for DWT and two to build for the next DWT. You wasted 1/6 AF stacks.

Now if you lose one AT stack, you can only use the next aetherflow to get back the third. You're not getting the other two. You start building AT stacks again with the third aetherflow. You're not spending 3/6 AF stacks on fester etc. Someone who REALLY fucks up can even put AF on cooldown without gaining a single stack if DWT is still up. That's a full minute delay for the next DWT and Bahamut-egi. So overall it got much worse for bad and average players, and all you can do in the meantime is cast Ruin.

Obviously that doesn't happen to perfect players :smuggo:

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 21, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Or remove enough equipment that you're below i280.

The "avoid Final Steps" method.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can make them three times overpowered in bare numbers but I still won't like playing SB SCH (same for SMN), this argument is dumb.

Criticism is not invalid because "numbers are good" and "you can beat content with it".

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 26, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think the bane nerf and the removal of dots were made by different people/groups in the rebalancing. The bane nerf makes sense if you still had all the dots. The extra attack removal makes sense if you left bane as is.
That would explain a few things, but since it also applies to SMN I'm really wondering how hosed up the people responsible have to be (probably on a level with OWLS!).

ImpAtom posted:

The issue isn't that people are saying it's boring, it is that people keep repeatedly saying it literally can't do content/can't keep up with pulls/etc. Which is genuinely 100% wrong. (Doubly so if Paladins are involved which is to be fair largely on Paladins. I did Fist with an actually geared Paladin yesterday and it was like playing HW again, I barely had to heal them and was mostly DPSing.) Nothing's wrong with disliking the changes because you don't like how they play but the "it can't be done" crowd is weird.
Good job using a strawman and picking the dumbest complaints for your "SCH is awesome everyone else is wrong" retorts I guess? I mean, you also have that other, constructive laundry list so why not go by that instead?

Ryanbomber posted:

I think I've actually seen more people complaining about SCHs whining about being terrible at healing than I have actually seen SCHs whining about being terrible at healing. Most SCHs just mourn the loss of Bane with the occasional salty and vague "CLASS SUX NOW".
Pretty much.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 26, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah arguing what unrelated pubbies think vs. what's being discussed by cool and good people is not weird at all.

nuru posted:

Can we take a moment and nominate Summoner Aetherpact as "Best Buff To Healer DPS 2017" ?

But only if you don't move away so the bard next to you got closer and received the buff :smuggo:

Summoner Aetherpact is another one of those moronic design decisions, like I don't even know what game the people who came up with SCH and SMN revamps and SB skills were playing.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 26, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

People in this thread have said that.
Oh no!

I said cool and good people.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

The Bane nerf feels like it was targeted at SMN and SCH was just an unintended victim. They really need to separate the two jobs. Also Adlo costing 50% more than Aspected Benefic and having a weaker shield and cast time is super loving dumb but part of that is that AST is overpowered.

It still doesn't make much sense because all the other SMN AoE they nerfed as well. The -20% to -80% penalty is extreme and no other AoE has it, and there's have no spammable direct damage AoE either (well, okay, there's Tri-Bind :psyduck:), deathflare was changed to the usual -10% to -50%, shadowflare lost half its power, miasma 2 is gone entirely.

Again, if it was just the bane nerf I could see it, but nerfing every single AoE ability makes no sense. If "respecting the content" was the issue, they could do a lot more with gated packs (which they've done before) or increasing mana cost of AoE spells. And yeah, even if the two jobs on one class thing was the issue, there's still traits.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

I've done it probably 5 times in roulettes by now and never had enormous issues with the final trial. Maybe being a healer makes it more stable since you have the most power to make up for other people's mistakes.

It helps, but even as a healer you can just get overwhelmed. On SCH it was no fun at all in parties where I had to keep rezzing people who died to mechanics. It was okay once I had a party with a RDM taking care of rezzing so I could actually spend MP on healing.

It's cool and challenging and whatever other buzzwords one wants to throw at it, but IMO it's absolutely not the right thing for random parties (especially since it doesn't have echo). It's fun if your party is good, but can quickly turn into an absolute shitshow if it's not.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Unfortunate thing about the leveling jump potions: they don't give you the AF set from your 60 job quest. :smith: You can't even get it from the Calamity Salvager, though you can get your first AF set at least (the level 45-50 one).

Guess that's what I'll be spending Centurio Seals on for a bit, since I'm pretty sure you can still get them that way at least.

Harrow posted:

I would assume so, because that's roughly the same situation you're in if you use a jump potion to 60. They might add it to the Calamity Salvager in the future--they might've just overlooked it for now.

The situation was the same in HW, which added AF2 (I'll continue calling it that :colbert:) to ARR class quests, ie. the AF1 recolor that used to be the very first capped tome gear (IIRC). You can still get it by respecting the content and collecting "antique" tokens in Snowcloak/Sastasha hard/Qarn hard. And the HW artifact gear is still on hunt vendors. Even people who did the class quests before SB launched have to get them that way, not just jump potioneers.

This is unlikely to be an oversight - items on the salvager are there because there's no source for the item anymore (eg. because it's a legacy item or a one-time quest/achievement reward like relics and the very first artifact gear you got). Gear that was on tomes is later found elsewhere (dungeon drops in early ARR, hunts in late ARR and in HW) or can still be collected as before (primal gear), it was never added to salvagers.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd like healing more if I could figure out a click healing setup like I had in WoW. Healing without it just isn't the same. It's still my preferred role but the archaic party UI makes me sad.

Magil Zeal posted:

The correct move would be to buff other sources of EXP like dungeons. Though that still wouldn't work for DPS at this point (Samurai really should have been a tank class imo). Ultimately though people are going to do whatever is fastest whether it's PvP or PotD or FATE farming and people will think it should change and the current way is boring or whatever. It's probably honestly for the best currently that the best methods of EXP grinding aren't locked behind a queuewall.
SAM being tanks would probably have helped a bit in this first month when everyone is trying out new classes, but not much (I heard it didn't really help in HW? I wasn't there) - I can emphasize with the argument (and apparently Yoshi's data) that it's mostly tank players switching to new tank jobs rather than DPS players picking up tanking, so the net effect is about zero.

If dungeons stay the main source of XP, loot and progression currencies, larger parties would help, but I assume Tanaka design(TM) makes this hard. Every other MMO goes with 3 DPS per tank and healer, and they still have queues. FF14 makes queues longer for DPS because of the 4-man format.

please knock Mom! posted:

Healers are similar, you can make dungeons a lot quicker as one

Unless you're playing the wrong healer :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Philonius posted:

They should make running a dungeon as a role in need give an exp pearl at the end, which is an item you can use to give yourself ~20% of a level in exp. That way, I can queue as tank, but still level my DPS alts. Everyone is happy.

I would like that. The BRD I'm trying to level would like it too - I'm no fan of PotD at all, <60 PvP isn't so hot either, and all queues are ridiculous. But I have to level it SOMEHOW :suicide:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:reddit: reporting slightly different numbers, ie. 2nd and 3rd getting roughly two thirds of a win (in your numbers that would be the 8% instead of 12% so that part adds up), and the win XP is the same as before.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At up to 50% more matches per level in order to skip PotD and dungeon queues, I'm fully expecting even more people to "guard the base" now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't there supposed to be xp awarded for participation now?

Sure looking forward to people being even more mad about losing.

Not participation, according to the patch notes:

quote:

Class/Job EXP gained from participating in PvP encounters has been adjusted to take match durations into account.
Victories and losses will now award different amounts of EXP.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Freak Futanari posted:

I'm sorry that you get slightly less exp for AFKing

Funny, but people AFKing are basically unaffected (who cares if they have to AFK another hour to the next level), unlike those who'd actually want to try and win, but happen to end up in groups with more AFKers than the other guys or against premades or whatnot. You're in a group of 24, even if you're a PvP super hero, whether your team wins or loses is not often up to you.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it's still a stupid design decision.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Freak Futanari posted:

The point is that FFXIV is primarily based around group content, and group success has usually been what decides the rewards in that content. It feels weird to expect PvP to be the exception to that

In PvE you're not competing with other people also trying to win the same fight, while group composition is largely out of your control.

Freak Futanari posted:

I actually played a lot of Frontlines in Heavensward, and while it wasn't possible to win every single match there either, there were a LOT less people who treated it as Get Experience For Alt-Tabbing Out To Watch Netflix. Making PVP straight up the best levelling option for DPS players, while also giving the same reward if you win or lose, was a great recipe for really messing up Frontlines, since suddenly there were a lot less people bothering to play healers (because everyone wants to level their DPS), while also offering no incentive whatsoever to even participate beyond joining the match and then idling.

It still gives decent exp, but it now actually gives you an incentive to play it. And if having rewards decided by team effort is a deal-breaker for some people, then maybe PVP isn't something they'd enjoy in the first place?

Good news. The XP change solves absolutely none of your issues :thumbsup:

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 4, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

I got a nice surprise in the mail. Rewards from the last time I played a few months, including a ton of refer-a-friend rewards. I can't remember which goon got to refer me, but I hope he's doing well.

Edit: I got a few rewards like the appearance change potion. Is there a safer place like a vault I can store these instead of hanging in my inventory?

FF14's "bank" are your retainers, they're locked by story quests. I think you have to beat the level 20 quest for them to become available in the main cities' market areas.

They hold items like a bank, you sell items on the market board through your retainers, and each (you can have two, more if you pay an additional monthly fee) can be customized and leveled in a gathering or combat class you have levels in, then bring you materials and random items.

Also, some items (usually seasonal event- and some veteran rewards) can be stored in the armoire in an inn room. Not fantasia potions, though.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 5, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Europeans are still playing on US servers after the free transfer? :rip:

At least there's no queue for Excalibur when I play :v:

Also I don't do ~endgame~ things so it's mainly the lag that is annoying, but not overwhelmingly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Giraffe ladies have the same issue as roegadames, their heads are way small so they look pretty dumb in some armor or if you picked the wrong height.

Concurred posted:

So, I have the BLM Lv. 60 Makai set / title, but it's my only job above 60. I'm capped on wolf marks - the heck do I spend them on now? Been frontlining as AST who is at 49.8 as of last night

Other than music/minion you can also buy the gear for your next 60 and their achievement, or buy the new cosmetic PvP gear or old sets for glamour from the vendors inside the ship for your BLM.