Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Talkc posted:

Not going to lie, either that is insanely incompetent on Square's part or hilariously evil. Either way its bullshit. Mogstation is already criminal as hell in a subscription based game.

Or the asthetician will be able to change Hrothgar faces.

WoW did a similar thing where the barber shop could change worgen skin color since that was tied to your fur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My main complaints with wow right now are the story, and the endgame activities.

Raiding isn't fun and they removed class sets so there's not even the vanity reason to play. M+ was balls hard at release and took forever, compared to legion where even the longest dungeon took maybe half an hour. Now the timers are basically assuming you have a rogue and invisibility potions to skip pulls, and also have lots of CC.
What's that? Your class doesn't have cc? Sucks to be you.

And they've leaned hard into "faction war" as a story which has mostly amounted to "One faction is openly evil, gets multiple victories. Other faction isn't explicitly good, only gets symbolic victories, if that. Actual big bad gloats about how stupid we are and should be working together against them."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

isk posted:

Also, for folks looking for a bit of escapism, an inherently adversarial game in a phase that has re-emphasized conflict between players of different factions isn't a great idea right now.

Yeah, in the runup to BFA's release when they were running those "FACTION MATTERS" commercials at the same time that Sylv was burning down Teldrassil it was.. really weird.

"You should judge your friends for their choice of faction, also one of the factions is now openly facist and evil."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

A big part of WoW's writing issues is also that the writers are very low on the totem pole in Blizzard. When they're making a new expansion, higher-ups in the company decide what the themes, major events, and main characters will be.

Then they tell the writers to make it work, no matter how nonsensical or contradictory to previous events and characterization they might be.

See here: Garrosh Hellscream.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

WoW tries to reinvent the wheel every expansion, for no discernible reason. This involves actively throwing out systems that worked and learning nothing from why they worked.

Thus, Azerite.

They're turning the neck into basically an artifact weapon in the next patch or so but, I've already gotten out. I'm quite glad they're finally giving Worgen a better model but it'd take some story and mechanics changes for me to even think about getting back in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've tried a few MMOs because I like FFXIV so much, and the only one I've found that was worth taking a break to play was Elder Scrolls Online. It's honestly quite good and so different from FFXIV that you don't feel burned out on MMOs. The worst one was probably Neverwinter, but World of Warcraft honestly lost my interest really fast. DC Universe also would have sucked but I didn't have the patience for their terrible download speed. Black Desert had a solid combat system but the MMO elements were confusing and pointless, and I think it really needed to just be a Diablo-style action RPG.

Neverwinter is a lootbox engine that happens to have a game attached, I played on and off for a while but they lost me for good after the whole Dragonborn thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

a kitten posted:

I should maybe do the last part of the Ivalice raid before the expansion is over. :effort:

How is that these days?

I went in blind last night on a roulette and we only wiped once.
2nd to last boss requires a massive amount of situational awareness. the rest of them are basically cake.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Funny you should mention that, I'm trying to figure out post-70 SMN now. I don't get the point of Firebird Trance before level 80, as it's essentially a Dreadwyrm Trance that doesn't let you use Deathflare and doesn't give Dreadwyrm Aether. It gives you Fountain of Fire, which was in the media build possibly a potency loss over Ruin III (depending on whether or not Ruination affects it) or at best equal to it, and Brand of Purgatory, which is a relatively small potency gain in single target (but admittedly quite good for multitarget). Those very small benefits are hard to justify essentially not getting Dreadwyrm Aether, it feels a bit like running in place.

Now it's possible that Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory get big potency buffs in the meanwhile (or Ruin III/IV get nerfed), but that's based on what we saw in the media build tooltips.

When you get Firebird Trance you also get a trait that makes Dreadwrym trance give 2 Aether when it finishes. So you're still getting 2 trances per Bahamut, it just goes "Trance bahamut trance" rather than "Trance trance bahamut" And Firebird should be a DPS upgrade over Dreadwyrm.
And it has it's own version of Deathflare. nevermind, I misunderstood this. but yeah it should be a dps upgrade. it just doesnt have deathflare at the end.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 14, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

So I finally got Ishgard unlocked and got the dark knight, but it comes at 30. What’s the fastest way to get it to 50 if you have very few quests left? Just running random dungeons over and over?

Also the amount of quests and dungeons I had to do to get there was loving ridiculous FYI.

Run the highest level dungeon you have access to

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

I haven’t been completely up to date on the live letters, so I have a question: will trust dungeons have reduced XP or will it be the same? Might be nice to run dungeons on demand as a DPS after roulettes if the queues are bad

same xp but less loot, and they'll take longer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Vitamean posted:

honestly, if they're gonna do more reference fights, I hope they integrated into the story more instead of omega just whipping up rando bosses from nowhere

How about lavos whipping up Chrono trigger bosses out of nowhere?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

We don't know how involved the level eighty quests will be. I'm sure we're losing some Fidelity but I imagine they'll be at least more complex than most level seventy quests, considering those were all "hey, we've tracked down the villain you've been dogging for ten levels".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Welp, finished the MSQ. And spent the better part of my evening punching Kefka until loot came out.

Think I'm ready to bring shadow all over their pale angel asses.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"You can't be the warrior of darkness. You're from the west side of London. That's like.. the nice part of London." Is an amazing line.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

What’s inside here.... is a Gamer.

This is still less cringy than some of the World of Warcraft commercials that have come out lately.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Leal posted:

I'm Mr T and this is my Night Elf Mohawk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2_ueohYRhU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Is there a way to generate item links in game so you can try on hats on an hrothalt before fantasising?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm trying to get Mimesis Lux for my Summoner because giant gaudy dragon wing book is entirely my jam.

What's the most efficient way to get Sand?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

The idea of a level squish is okay on paper, but I'm just imagining them messing up the stats so that high level content becomes impossible.

The problem isn't high level content, it's the stuff before that.

The first time WoW did a stat squish they introduced this vague mechanic that scaled your damage up the further "ahead" of old content you were, but also didn't really bother to go back and balance some of the old content against players of that level. So if you did want to do an old school raid legit you were probably hosed.

Then they did another one before BfA and arbitrarily decided that stuff past a certain point didn't scale anymore? So people who used to be able to farm the Mists raids no problem were suddenly getting bodied by the first boss. And levelling content took an eternity to kill because that was how things were "supposed" to be.

Then they removed the fast travel portal hubs from old content because it was making it too easy for people to farm old raids and it meant people weren't just standing around the current content hub cities making their game seem more populated than it was.

They seem almost laser focused on making anyone who doesn't want to raid/M+ stop playing.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 18, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean are they going to make things worse?

There's a classification of Gear in WoW call Heirloom gear, that gives you bonus XP when worn and scales with your level Ala the Aetheryte Earring. Prior to the BfA stat squish this gear gave you stats as if it were a Rare(AKA. HQ) item of it's level. After the stat squish it now scales to the same level as a normal quality item. To the point that you can actually find gear that has higher stats as you're questing and have to actively gimp yourself in order to keep the faster levelling speed. This is intended by the developers as an "Interesting tradeoff".

So yes not only will they make things worse, they will do this intentionally given the opportunity.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zerilan posted:

What jacket is that?

The noctis jacket, it dyes very well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bobfly posted:

On that note, have you all made a pattern of what you put in the saddlebags? I just stuffed materia in there so I know where it is, but I feel like that makes more sense on a retainer or in the actual inventory.

Dye, materia, primal bits, raid currency, things that I get in multiples but not often enough to want to take up bag space.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

On the other hand, the Far East content is just better than the Gyr Abania stuff.

and yet all the vendors are in Gyr Abania.

Sounds like a conspiracy by Big Aetheryte.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Vitamean posted:

I think they meant more of garleans as a race? Since all the other races get parallels in the First. Even Amalj'aa.

I thought the implication was that the Garleans were created by the Ascians, no ascians, no Garleans.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like Ala Mhigo was just a "Well, we have to do this place, but we're not really interested, we really want to just move on to the Far East." So it just became a speedbump in the road of the MSQ.

There was an obligation to wrap up Ala Mhigo affairs, but the writers just wanted to get it over with so they could move on.

On one hand, I feel like Ala Mhigo got shafted, on the other hand, Ala Mhigo kinda sucks anyway?

It is kind of hilarious that our plan was basically "Let's forment a rebellion and liberate a completely different nation as a distraction." And it actually worked because Yotsuyu was such a monster.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's weird how in the pre and post battle cutscenes he has subtitles depicting him as a nearly mindless hulk. But in battle he's perfectly cogent, if manic.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you've pre ordered you get the expansion on Friday. The whole thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

BrightWing posted:

Man BLM is going to be a dream to play. 2 polyglot to sit on and use on an instant for forced movement? YES. :black101:

E: How hard would BLM101 be to make as an emote?

Depends on if you want it to be animated or not.

also:
:science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Road to 69