Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cythereal posted:

My character is only level 31 in the free trial. I know that's the elf girl who had about three lines that were all a variant of "everyone here is an rear end in a top hat" and left.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear she gets better.

Ah yeah, ARR can be a bit sparse because they were rushing to fix the disaster that was 1.0. Things get more interesting in HW and Ysayle is amzing. And then in SB I'm enjoying Lyse and Alisae a whole lot.

ARR was definitely my least favorite of XIV's story by a longshot.

poo poo, the first 30 levels story is mostly just doing busy work so the various' governments will even give you an audience. It doesn't really get cool until like, level 50.

Merylweb is definitely my favorite lady in ARR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minrad posted:

Didn't notice it until last night, but it's nice that they went back to make doman weapons (from centurio seals) for Sam/Rdm.

Yeah until you realize its because they re-used the Doman weapons for SB weapons at like level 68 or 69 :v:

They're just a recolor. Instead of having to create SAM and RDM doman weapons plus weapons for everybody at 68, including SAM and RDM, they simply added SAM and RDM weapons to the doman and reused them all.

But its not like the game is lacking in weapons so no biggie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Why is there a space elevator in the Ruby Sea :psyduck:

A friend of mine and I are debating whether that's gonna be the new POTD or whether its that house of coin up in steppe.

I guess its too skinny, but drat that thing is literally infinitely tall. And nobody even comments on it?!? Uhhhhhhhh

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

I missed where healers should pull aggro ever, for any reason. DPS should pull way before healers do unless the healer is overhealing like mad. Plus, DPS can pick up the slack re: saving the healer. If they don't, they are Bad.

Hey guys I know you're all arguing about apples but have you heard of these oranges?

apostateCourier what on earth did you think you were adding to that conversation :v:

No poo poo healers shouldn't pull agro ever. No loving poo poo. Everybody in this thread knows that. We're just discussing if healers *can* heal-tank through lovely lower dungeons like tam-tara if they want to because who cares.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

:psyduck: at what point were we talking about healtanking?

I guess that came up right after your post, but still the discussion was about whether or not you could survive pulling agro.

Just saying "don't pull agro" is dismissive and ignores the question.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I just got this jacket in a dungeon and I couldn't help myself but make the ultimate Naruto cosplay outfit out of it

:japan:

Only wish it was dyeable so I could make it green.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

My glam rule is no more than one item from an item set. It's kept me going through GW2, WoW and now FF14. Whilst I love the Ala Mhigo striking set and MNK AF3, rules are rules. :colbert:

There's something on your face :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jalapeno_dude posted:

So I'm a SMN main who hasn't even bothered doing the quest to unlock SCH yet, but these DPS queue times are tempting me to pick it up. What are the best things to run to get the hang of healing in this game? Obviously I'd start with Hall of the Novice and then Sastasha, but what should I do after that to make sure I'm ready to do Expert Roulette, Trials, etc?

I think after hall of the novice and sastasha you'll be pretty much okay. Just make sure you understand the higher level abilities. Maybe read a guide on your specific healing class if you're real worried, but it shouldn't be bad.

jalapeno_dude posted:

To clarify: because I have SMN at 70 I already will have SCH at 70 the moment it's unlocked. That means I won't pick up experience as I level, because there's no leveling to do. So I'm looking for advice on what to do to substitute for that.

Yeah SMN/SCH is such a weird fucky situation

I kinda wish other classes worked that way so you could switch roles while still leveling up, the way wow lets you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I've only been on the receiving end of it a handful of times but the absolute worst Frontlines scenario is when an entire enemy team fights their way to your bases's spawn and just sits outside mulching you as you come out, while the third team is content to sit out and coast to second place with their near-unopposed ice caps.

I've only seen this happen once and I was on the team that was dishing it out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

- FF6-style magitek armor mount hell yeah

The mounts we have already are FF6 style. These are different.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

FF6's concept art is what we currently have for the Magitek mounts. FF6's sprite art is what's being added for Magitek mounts.

You know, I never really thought about the difference. Wow. Looking back they're very different, and the magitek enemies which have bigger sprites are definitely the different style. But in my brain / memory / nostalgia they just kinda blended together.

I should play ff6 again, last time was high school.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Try a Natural Magic playthrough. Honestly the Magicite system ends up flattening characters. Natural Magic makes you really push for their strengths and improvements in every fight.

I tend to play FFs more for the story than the battle system, but that sounds kinda cool in a FF12 zodiac job system kinda way. I'll look it up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xarbala posted:

You might just have the worst luck in finding potd parties because while full clears are maddening, since coming back I've yet to run into a potd party that wasn't quietly trying to bumrush through as quickly as reasonably possible. So you have my condolences.

I've had a ton of groups that pull every loving mob in the dungeon.

Ularg posted:

"Checking Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn update/launcher version. 2014."

Oh god, this update process will take awhile even after I downloaded the 11GB game client.

Is this your first MMO? That's kinda how it goes.

If it was Everquest back in the day, you'd be patching for a week.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ularg posted:

No I just realized, and confirmed on the account website that I signed up for this in 2014. Time really flies.

Ah. Yeah time is a real sonofabitch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Holy poo poo Omega is fun

Holy poo poo the Omega gear is really good looking

:dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I'm not wild about it, but it's hard to argue that it's not on theme for the expansion, even if it's not particularly for the raid. I just hope we get a dope sci fi looking gear set in the third tier of raids.

I've been waiting for some proper Japanese armor sets the entire SB expansion, having one won't kill us :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Just one more question before I pull the trigger: Do black mages get better looking stuff down the line? Because the job preview gear is awful, and I'm currently rocking something that makes me look like a cat nun. :catstare:

Casters get some of the best gear in the game but basically everything in FFXIV is pretty lame until you get to like level 30 or even level 50

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Truga posted:

I googled FF5 and it looks like something I'd play on my C64, so uh, no thanks.

How can you not know the difference between early 8-bit and 16-bit? :psyduck:

C64 couldn't even do Final Fantasy 1 properly, much less FF5.

Truga posted:

You're right, the c64 font wasn't quite as ugly.

And it's even worse, the version on steam is apparently a mobile version of the game and there's people complaining the UI is trash? Even classic FF UI is garbage, how much of a dumpster fire is that port?

Don't play any of the ports, just play them on original cart or emulator. Get a translation patch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Levantine posted:

If I stopped around 3.1 or 3.2, how much content do I need to complete before I get to Stormblood?

Not much at all really :) Its nothing like the 50+ grind to get into HW.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

There's 44 quests total from post HW to SB, and you've already done some of them. They're also mostly pretty quick and painless, although there's a couple trials and dungeons. (That's the only time consuming part really)

If you really worked at it you could do it in a single day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Honestly Heavensward was mostly great...unless you were a raider. In which case it was terrible.

Story and EX Primals and whatnot were great though! :v:

I dunno, I got level-locked in HW like 5 loving times. I felt like I spent more time grinding dungeons than I did doing main story quests.

SB on the other hand I was consistently over-leveled through the whole thing, until finally getting caught at 68, where I did like 2 side quests and leveled up and then finished the story without issue.

Something about the HW pacing really hosed me up. Its why I put the game down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't the HW story skip like 30$? That doesn't feel like it's worth it on top of the SB price tag with how little remains of HW.

Yes, you have to buy the ARR and HW story skip together, which is $25, which is absurd to do if you're already in the HW postgame patch quests. Its like 4-5 hours of questing to finish those. No way is that worth the quest skip potion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kakesu posted:

I'm up to 30+ attempts without a clear at this point.

Jesus loving christ, you poor bastard :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anybody think its weird one of the new bosses names was "Alte Roight" ?? Probably just a silly coincedence since it sounds like it comes from another language.

But I can't help but think, our army of catgirlrs and potatoes will triumph over the alt right :911:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, still a hell of a coincidence no? Just kinda weird how life is sometimes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nuru posted:

Enkidu reminds me that we're almost certainly getting a Gilgamesh fight in Omega somewhere. We have to, right?

Imma be upset if we don't!

SettingSun posted:

I like references like the boss of Kugane Castle. You know him well, along with the names of his moves, but his actual fight is pretty original.

I totally guessed the final boss of kugane castle based on the dialogue description for the quest :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Minrad posted:

We may still get an FF7 dungeon. There's an Imperial ship (submarine?) labeled on the southeast of the Yanxia map, and going to scavenge a scuttled Garlean submarine full of more of their experiments would be an awesome way to have a tribute to the Gelnika.

Gelnika would be amazing.

Maybe Its just me, but Castrum Abania gave me some serious FF8 D-District Prison vibes, maybe the catwalks over the desert?

And in Ala Mhigo the final boss kinda reminded me of the Guard Scorpion from FF7 Mako Reactor bombing mission.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Don't you have to manually put this stuff in your Armory before auto-equip will catch it?

Yes, but loot will go to your armory if it isn't full.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Did you mean the first boss? Because the first boss is straight-up the Guard Scorpion, where Zenos... isn't.

Also Castrum Abania is almost entirely the FF6 Magitek Research Facility, but I can see your idea. A little bit of the FF7 Gold Saucer prison too maybe?

Yep first boss :v:

Yeah I can see the Magitek Facility now that you mention it, but my brain doesn't jump from 3D to 2D as easily as when I recognize a similar 3D design.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I did a pony farm with goons once. The person that started it got super mad they didn't get the first drop and quit and then everyone else petered out.

lmao this owns

I ran through all the primals with goons and we didn't get a single pony drop. Then I punched them a few times with my friend, just 2 of us, and we got 2 of them to drop :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

i'm always a bit :ohdear: about raiding with goons because i'm a.) super indecisive on classes i want to play and b.) always worried that i'm the bad in the group being carried.

...I really need to go ahead and install a damage meter...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Third Paty Tools Are Against the EULA

I understand that they get used a lot but regardless the fact that you don't have some random pub in a roulette waving their dick around is one of the things I like about this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-WXYg-S05U&feature=youtu.be&t=6m2s YoshiP said its okay.

log parsers won't be caught unless you announce that poo poo and nobody cares, tons of people use them. Not the same as a mod that directly touches the game.

You get banned for bots.

AFAIK FFXIV doesn't have any spyware poo poo like Warden so there's no way for them to know if you aren't actually modding the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That doesn't address my point of not really wanting jackasses posting damage meters in pug content that doesn't really matter tho.

Yeah that's stupid. I wouldn't even talk about it outside of private chat. But personally I do get a bit paranoid if I have no idea if I'm doing best dps or worst dps or what. I just want a ballpark idea of my performance overall, I don't even bother setting up timers or any of that jazz.

I think "feel free to log your own damage to calculate how you're doing but don't tell people they're poo poo in pubby dungeons/raids or you get banned for harassment/modding" is a pretty good GM policy :thumbsup:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Midnightghoul posted:

I hope the catfish people eventually summon a primal in a later patch by stockpiling persimmons instead of aetheryte

I hope the catfish people have dailies and a catfish mount.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bleu posted:

The Deltascape sets are almost painfully ugly. I have no glamour game and I don't care about glamour, and even I think they look terrible.

I like them :colbert:

Saint Freak posted:

The only time I've ever seen people in the parser have truly embarrassingly low damage is if they are too dumb to hit all their buttons, or too dumb to dodge aoes so they spend a bunch of time dead. If you're not in either of those categories I'm going to guess you're totally fine.

Well, there's also ability to compare to self and improve slightly too. Comparing my dps to past performance is an indicator if I'm slipping or if I'm doing a pretty good job of maintaining all my class poo poo while also dodging mechanics and stuff.

I play NIN and its sufficiently complicated that its not always obvious what the optimal priority is when you consider time and mechanics and movement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not really in my experience. A 15 minute run where things go a little slower is better than a 15 minute run where things go slower still because two people are sniping at each other in chat.

It really depends though. Going slower is fine. Somebody not paying attention to a major mechanic like "the bomb" in wow can wipe the whole raid and its not worth just wiping it over and over hoping the stars align and that person doesn't get targeted. Sometimes you gotta tell people to pay attention, but in a nice way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VHGS posted:

It depends on how much of each you have.

Yeah but this means the answer is definitively "crit" as long as you can get a certain amount of it, which

VHGS posted:

I'm at i314 (as ninja) and just melding all my gear would be enough for crit to be ahead.

Yeah same (312 ninja)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Emalde posted:

Any number of "invalid" selections for color will either give you pure white (which players do have access to and is normally what the game 'sanitizes' with for color selection) or pure red (which players normally do not have access to)

Man, computers are crazy

Math is crazy :eng101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pryce posted:

So if FFXIV is the first and only real FF game I've played (did a little of XV), is it a good gateway drug to trying something like the XII release this week? I used to say "I don't like JRPGs" but I'm starting to think I just wasn't playing good ones, and XII seems like it could be a good 'next step'.

FFXII could be an okay next step because it plays kinda more like an MMO than a JRPG. It does have major pacing problems though, about halfway through the game's story just completely stalls and nothing happens for like 6 dungeons. But FFXII will feel pretty familiar to you moving from FFXIV honestly, its structured in kinda a similar feeling way to FFXIV (or really FFXI).

If you really want to give JRPGs a chance on their own merit, I would start with something like Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario 64 or even Earthbound. Then after that, play Final Fantasy 6, then your choice of 4,7,9,10 or whatever.

Have you played Chrono Trigger? Just go play Chrono Trigger seriously.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nuru posted:

Limsa has a major drawback in it being effort to get to the gc vendors and NPCs.

Its not far, and better than lame Gridania not having an aether anywhere near its market, wtf is up with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eh, its still a bit of a walk from leatherworker. Its actually shorter to run from the central aetheryte, but then you have to load. Which is awkward.

Yeah Ul'dah was the worst but now they have one right smack dab convenient, so Gridania is now the worst.

Mordiceius posted:

Limsa superiority.

I mostly stay in Limsa if only because its the one I know my way around best :v: But its also really pretty.