Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

These shadowy fishing ephemeral node things are loving bullshit. Took an hour to do the 68 quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Nipponophile posted:

I hate to victim blame, but I'm pretty sure you were doing something wrong.

I was using the large gig when spearing for Ichthyosaurs, and veteran trading the prawns away. I switched to the small gig for the shadowy node. The first time I got said node, I got two HQ quest fish and some other stuff (I veteran traded the doman bubble eyes.) The second time, I got 5 NQ quest fish. The third time, I finally got that third HQ quest fish. I have a HQ 67 rod, and my gear is all 65-67, my stats were more than enough for getting the node bonuses. Unless I missed some action that increases HQ chance when spearfishing, I don't think there's anything else I could have done?

e: on the bright side, I guess I got quite a bit of exp out of it...

Telum fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 1, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

ruta posted:

The level 68 fishing quest is terrible and spear fishing is, in fact, the worst part of fishing. They managed to take the best part of fishing (standing in one place) and poo poo on it.

Ibblebibble posted:

My favourite bit about fishing is afking and listening to podcasts so spearfishing really is the worst bit.

:same: My wife and I have been listening to The Dresden Files while we both fish.

But oh well, I can get to 70 tonight off of regular fishing + leves, and then I hopefully won't have to touch fishing again until the next expansion!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Lord of Pie posted:

Dragoon because they spend more time laying down than most

Excuse me sir or madam, those floors are dangerous enemies that need to be tanked for the good of the party :colbert:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

vOv posted:

It used to get super confused and try to equip i200 crafter gear instead of my i290 crafter gear and I have no clue why.

It seems to prioritize CP over any other stat. I had an augmented handmaster's bracelet that it always wanted to equip instead of my HQ zelkova bracelet because the handmaster's had one more CP. It wasn't a problem for my other accessories because I had melded CP onto them. I ought to for the bracelet, too, just never got around to it...

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Speaking of Beast Tribes, how come the HW ones give buttloads of reputation per quest while the ARR ones give like, 10? I guess the ARR ones are 100% pointless now except for maybe glamour/minions/mounts anyway but I'm curious. Did the HW ones give 10 per quest before SB was launched?

The HW and SB ones need a lot more reputation to max out. It somewhat evens out, I guess? The ARR ones also have three different tiers of quests, worth 10, 14, and 20 rep; you unlock the later ones as you rank up. Except the Ixal, they need way too much rep and have five tiers of quests iirc? Plus a daily turn-in. But I don't remember how much rep you get from each.
What I want to know is, why did the HW beast tribes give different amounts of rep? :iiam:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Did the amount of allowances change in HW too? I mean even if you have 6 or 9 quests available from a tribe you can only really do one or two tribes per day if you get 12 allowances. It'd take forever to get all of them maxed out.

Edit: oh the ARR ones don't go all the way to 7?

Yeah, the allowances actually doubled, from 6 to 12 per day. And the 10/14/20 tiers of quests used to be 5/7/10! :v: Also I just want to note that it's more efficient in terms of completing the whole group to split your allowances evenly every day, doing only the highest level quests available. Though if you only care about 1-2 of the tribes, then yeah just dump all your allowances into them.

Yes, for the ARR combat ones you only have to get to rank 4 (1020 total rep each), except for the Ixali where you have to get to 7 (4050 total?) Though the Ixal can also give more rep per day.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Jesus. Well, I'm glad they changed it up. I guess I'll check out the ARR ones once I'm done with the HW/SB tribes or get around to level crafting properly. Thanks for the insight.

You're quite welcome. Feel free to ask anything else about them. I finished my Ixal and Moogle tribe questlines quite a while back, but relatively recently started doing any of the others. Tonight I finally get to finish the ARR combat tribes and the Ananta! Which are my last ones. I'm excited :3:

The Ixal are great for leveling crafters to 50 but ugh that stupid glove and nerfing your stats and not letting you use cross-class actions...

e:

Foxhound posted:

The Sylphs are cool looking but gently caress any quest or hunt that require a FATE to spawn.
Yeah whomever thought tying quests to fates was a good idea needs to be fired :colbert: The other ARR ones do it too but the Sylphs ones are by far the worst.

Telum fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 5, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

The cross-class restriction specifically was only for some of the last (two?) tiers of quests. But if that and the stat caps have changed, that's fantastic! Recent, though, I just did the Ixal in like December. Should have just waited a bit!

e: v for me it was mostly the Coerthas ones that restricted cross-class, iirc. Both Coerthas and Mor Dhona loved reducing CP, though.

Telum fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 5, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Finished all the beast tribes! As far as the stories go, the Sahagin are my favorite of the ARR tribes, with the Ixal being a close second. Amaljaa... Exist, I guess. Not good, not bad. Sylphs I would probably like if Voyco weren't such a loving idiot. Kobolds were dumb. Working on the last questline now.

e: Nooooooooooooooooooooooovv :(

oh okay he's fine. Gonna murder this edgy bastard tho :black101:

This assassin guy needs to go be bffs with Zenos. "oh I just want to enjoy a fight myeh myeh myeh" v Yes, absolutely.

I like how Gi Gu just barely peeks around the wall when the tribe leaders show up.

that was the best entrance :3:

This is the best quest. Go tribe leaders!

WAIT WE DON'T EVEN GET TO KILL HIM WORST QUEST

....nope, best quest again.

Telum fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 6, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

So I've decided I want to get my HW DRG relic weapon because it looks cool. Thanks to all the beast tribes currency I had gathered (and the foresight to grab the five aether oils a while back when I was capped on tomes), I started the relic a few hours ago and am nearly halfway through the umbrite step... But now I'm out of poetics :negative: Besides 50/60, MSQ, and Alliance roulettes, are there any other particularly good ways to quickly get poetics?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Thanks for the poetics advice!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Cythereal posted:

If I actually thought Yotsuyu would stay gone, I'd be on board with saying she shouldn't be held accountable for her crimes.

My $0.02 here is that, while we the players might immediately be suspicious of this twist, because this is a story and many stories tend to be painted in similar strokes, the problem here - and where this is good characterization, not bad - is that it's the characters' "real life," as it were, instead of a story; to immediately jump to the conclusion that she'll be back, and we should kill her now because of that would be a morally wrong choice to make in a real life version of the situation. As you said above, if you thought Yotsuyu would stay gone, then she ought not be held accountable, but none of the characters have our viewpoint, they can't possibly know whether or not that will happen, until it happens. Even if she does come back, it won't retroactively make them wrong to spare her now; for the time being she is a different person, regardless of what happens with her memories later. It's not right to judge her now for something that might occur later.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Is there any new guides to level crafting fast or is it still grind out repeatable quests and all?

1-20ish, just crafting one of everything in your crafting log is great. 1-50, Ixal beast tribes quests are very good; also make sure to get your GC turn-ins every day, preferably HQ. 50-60, moogles are fantastic; I'd at least try to get the starred GC turn-ins, do others if you can but if they're too expensive it's whatever. Leves are okay-ish I guess for 1-60, though maybe they've been buffed since I leveled. 60-70, leves are bloody amazing and your class quests actually give good exp.

pupuru posted:

on a scale of 1-10 how much am I going to hate this game if I try and get an anima weapon (specifically bow of the autarch)

You should be able to get up to the quest for that specific bow pretty quickly, but that last quest will take a while. If you have any red crafter/gatherer scrip, or a bunch of beast tribe currency, it'll go more faster, but poetics will still be your limit there. That's where I am right now :v: I'm 3/4 of the way through that step and I started Sunday, but I also had ~800 ARR+HW beast tribe currency to blow on it. The next step sounds pretty quick and easy, too, if you like the glow on it. After that's the light gathering step, which sounds terrible.

So like... 3, give or take a bit on how much you like grinding poetics. Probably 10 if you decide to go to through the light gathering step, though.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Run the MSQ Roulette every day for poetics to get that Umbrite and any unidentifiable items you need.

You still need 4500-6000 poetics just for umbrite. Even running MSQ DR doesn't get you that very quickly :negative: Way, way more if you're spending poetics on getting the crystal sands. And if you're spending poetics on crystal sands, you should go for the 5 ink + 5 mist, that's a total of 225 poetics per 2 sands, instead of un-ID items which would take 600 poetics per 2 sands.

Though I mean yeah, run MSQ DR (and 50/60 and Alliance), just don't expect that to make it fly by or anything. And don't spend poetics on the sands :colbert: Go get amber-encased vilekin or get crafter/gatherer scrip affinities on your squadron or do beast tribes or something. Grab Allagan Catalysts when you run Alliance DR.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

The best way to get crystal sands is by using gatherers now. If you go and gather the lvl 60-70 red scrip items, you can get all of your crystal sands in under 2 hours.

I don't disagree, but I don't know if pupuru has their gatherers leveled and I'm not going to recommend them to go level one just for anima if they haven't already.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Is there anyone on Exodus who could help me get some desynth items? I finally finished light grinding for Nexus and would love to be able to Longinus without having to grind up desynth myself or pay exorbitant amounts. I need an aged spear shaft, aged mortar pieces, and vintage cooking sherry. e: CRP, ARM, and CUL, respectively.

Telum fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 13, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

I'm on Exodus (G'intana Nitzah, you may recognize me if you're in a hunt LS) and have desynth leveled, but only BSM/GSM/LTW, sorry :( How much is exorbitant? Working on the light grind step myself at the moment.

Aged spear shaft recently sold for 25k each, which is perfectly fine, but they're all gone, and the perfect firewood you make from them is going for ~300k. Cheapest aged mortar piece is ~140k; the perfect mortar you make from it is ~500k. Vintage cooking sherry recently went for ~73k, which is not bad, but again, all gone; the tailor-made eel pie you make with it is going for ~600k.

On top of having to buy 4x 100k vendor items, plus other mats for crafting the perfect stuff (though the other mats weren't bad at all.) Plus 80k company seals and 800 poetics.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

I'm happy to craft the items for you if you can provide the mats (and any level 70 or even 60 crafter can do this trivially). As for finding someone to do the desynth for you, I recommend shouting in Rhalgr's or Idyllshire, or asking in NN, a LS, or anywhere else with a sufficient population of people who were around during 2.x (or the Exodus discord, I guess; I don't use it myself, but the guy who runs it, Aurion Pax, is great at handling requests like this).

Oh, I can craft them myself. I really appreciate the offer, though! :) I just need those last three desynth items. I'll try your recommendations, thank you.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Craft leves aren't random like combat leves are. You could safely craft your friend a stack of a leve item, yeah.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

pupuru posted:

should I just make a party finder if I want to do the first stages of Alexander? I've not been able to queue in at all the last few days.

Party Finder should work a lot better, yeah. Also, if you've not run them by this weekend, I'd be happy to run some Alex with you (or anyone else.) Alex is great.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Elentor posted:

Also I hope I'm not being annoying with long effortposts my health has been super lovely and I'm bedridden so posting is all I can do.

Yeah no this is absolutely fascinating, I had no idea this kind of stuff was even a thing.

In other news, just tried O7S for the first time tonight. Oof.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

For any and all raid school nerds, I'm going to try to get some runs of O5S and/or O6S in tonight, starting around 8:00 central time. If you want to beat up a train or a Chad, pop in and say hi!

I probably won't be on until like 9 central, but if you're still doing any O5S and there's room, I'd love to join. This is on Primal, right? I've cleared before but I just resubbed after a while off, so I'm a tad bit rusty.

I assume raid school will stick to 5+6, and you won't ever be teaching O7S? :v:

Phone posted:

if stuff like this interests you, i highly suggest you check out some defcon/hope/c3 talks about computer security vulnerabilities. it might go over your head, but i've found it both really entertaining and interesting over the last few years.

This is a bit belated, but thanks for the recommendation, I will check those out!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Come join the valkyrie squad with me

What pieces are those? That looks great.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

You can at least get past the golem meteors with two, though that's purely luck on where the third lands. We caved in eventually, though, it's still rough after that with two.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Leofish posted:

Appreciate the offer, but I'm on Exodus now. Moved over to play in a smaller FC with some friends.

I'm on Exodus as well. I've not been playing much lately because of Monster Hunter, but send me a friend request or mail or something if you want some help and I'll see what I can do. Character name is Zack Ater.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Phone posted:

that omega end cutscene :negative:

That Savage unlock scene :allears:

Blockhouse posted:

The content in this patch? It's very good.

:agreed:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

AngusPodgorny posted:

I also prioritize other people that can raise or replenish mp, so sorry melee guys, you're last unless I get seriously fed up with everyone else.

As a DRG, I get annoyed when I get raised before a RDM or healer, unless they've been particularly lovely. Keep it up.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Also remind me to post my shotcaller Frontline macros when I get home. I swear they tack on an extra 20% win rate to Maelstrom.

Here's your reminder.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I gotta come up with an LB3 macro for Satellite Beam. It begs for one, and I have no idea why Omega uses the BRD one instead.

Omega would have had to witness it first, and nobody plays MCH.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

On the topic of statics, I'm looking for one! I'm an i381 DRG on Exodus. I have a few O9S clears and am post Hot Tail on O10S. My availability is fairly flexible: I'm free 6-11PM EST Monday through Thursday, I'm not yet sure about Fridays, 5PM until very late Saturday, and all day until 11PM Sunday; I'd like to keep it to 2-3 days of ~2-3 hours each day. I'm coming from a very, very casual static, but I'd like to move up to a MC group. It'd also be cool to do other stuff together (mount farms, map runs if on the same server, etc), too, but no problem if we don't. I'm also an omni-crafter, so if we're on the same server I can craft stuff for you at cost.

My logs are here if you want to look at them, which includes a 77%ile (compared against parses) O9S run from this week!

I've got PMs here, or I'm Zack Ater in-game, or Zack Ater#7985 on discord.

e:

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

any DPS players on Aether

So close yet so far :negative:

Telum fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 12, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking as a dragoon, please send all tanks who don't use sprint in dungeons to re-education camps

:emptyquote:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Vargatron posted:

I'm barely clearing the DPS check for the Suzaku EX dummy, but I literally don't know what else I could be doing better as DRG except changing my gear up. Like the rotation is hard to screw up once you have it.

Are you hitting your positionals? Are you doing a delayed first Life, or just popping Life as soon as you can? Are your buffs lining up with CT and FT and your Life windows? Are you ever using Mirage Dive when you already have the full eye?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Yeah, that's why I was asking about delaying Life. If for your third MD you do Gier before the MD, you'll delay Life but then you can Jump jump just before entering Life, get an eye, Spineshatter will be off of cooldown so you can get a second eye, then Jump will come off of cooldown right as Life ends, so you can get the third eye and almost immediately go back into Life. With low enough SkS, that first Life ends between your 4/5 finishers, so you immediately go up to 30s on Blood before popping your second Life. I've gotten into a bad habit of using Jump early so that's not quite true. The guide explains it much better :v:

Doing this and using your buffs on cooldown will line things up such that two out of every three Nastrond uses will be under at least one buff; but unfortunately it's not really doable if your GCD is too fast, and it's difficult to be as slow as we'd like.

e: yeah look at that chart. Here's a link to the full guide if you're interested.

Telum fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 25, 2018

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Vargatron posted:

My GCD was 2.32 last night when I checked. But I replaced two items, so that might have dropped some SkS down.

Oof. My condolences.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

KoB posted:

It would be funny if BLU is spec'd towards being lvl 80 and sucks rear end to play at 70 like other non-max-level classes, then they release it early and its just stuck at 70 for months.

RDM was pretty good from unlock to level cap, I thought. I haven't finished leveling SAM so I don't know if it's the same. Hopefully it is and they'll continue improving with future classes!

Groggy nard posted:

Jesus. loving. Christ. I really hope DRG gets reworked to be less... that in 5.0.

Honestly I rather like it :shrug: It's mostly just getting your opener straight and hitting everything on cooldown, with a few small tweaks here and there like hitting Mirage Dive before Gierskogul instead of afterwards every so often, or holding Jump by a GCD. It does seem like a mess at first glance, though. Also too much SkS sucks (which is barely more than the minimum.)

Though tbf downtime in the middle of a fight can screw that up quite a bit. In O9S, for example, you probably want to hold your third Dragon Sight much longer than you normally would, since you can line it up with Battle Lit in the second half without losing a usage of it! I imagine this is a similar issue for many DPS jobs, but I don't really play any others so I don't know.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Are those last 2 people without jobs still playing as pugilist or lancer and poo poo? Theres a dude in my guild who is a lvl 60 pugilist, nothing else, no GC.

It's the Limit Break and something from the boss. The clouds? It's been a while.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Alternatively, worry about overmelding VIs because clusters are easy to get and they're relatively easy to overmeld; and instead don't worry about overmelding the Vs because those get down to a 5% chance.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I'm pretty sure I've solo'd it on DRG at 70. I know at the very least I've tried and gotten to the end, I just don't remember how that last fight went. It takes a while, though, it's really best with an unsynced party.

I wouldn't bother trying to solo it at 60 :v:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wish Cracked Crystals were dropped as much as Cracked Clusters.

:same:

But to actually use, I don't even care about selling them.

Telum fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

If all you want is your weapon, you only need 30 logos actions, and you can get that very easily from the more common logograms.