Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mr. Locke posted:

It’s a tragedy, because HW MCH was by far the most flexible class in that era of the game, with so many good little oGCD interactions that let you just pull so much poo poo off on the fly. Alas, it was also by multiple orders of magnitude the hardest to come to grips with, to the point where bad MCHs were getting the class kicked on sight. It had to die so the plebs could get their gun fantasy on too, because having a class less then 2% of the player base bothered to get to max level was bad design in the long run.

And then we got Stormblood’s leavings which they molded into what they called a Machinist.

Amusingly I feel the same way as you but for SB MCH. I love the rigid playstyle and whilst ShB MCH looks fun for more people it really isn't for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dinged 50 BLU.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

MCH is really cool and fun when you have ammo, but the rest of the time you're watching for procs and it's everything I hated about BLM's Firestarter rotation. I feel like I can't take my eyes off my hotbar for a second or else I'll miss something. On classes with rotations more set in stone, I can watch the boss or my party members and it's a lot nicer overall, since the rotation is handled mostly by muscle memory.

I do feel bad about the people who really enjoyed the class before and are expecting to hate it now, though. It always sucks when changes ruin something you really liked (most of my friends are scholar mains, oddly enough, and they're furious), but I'm just personally excited that it's becoming something my tiny pea brain might be able to handle.

I have a tiny pea brain but in a different manner. It's only able to handle current MCH's clockwork rotation and nothing else :v: BRD plate spinning is too much for me in savage. Watching for 1-2-3 procs was fine for me because it was only once every GCD which wasn't super often, and the oGCDs are set in stone so those are just muscle memory.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zoig posted:

I didn't play mch before ShB because the heat gauge sounded like rear end to utilize and I would probably have been fine with them keeping ammo, since as a mechanic it was fine compared to overheating and wildfire and all that.

However, I will say that I feel half of the fun of ff14 is the sheer spectacle of what you do while fighting and New mch looking a lot flashier is part of the reason I want to level it now, shallow as it may be. I do want to level everything eventually anyways so its not that big a deal, its just higher on my list now, maybe (probably not, I still need to finish bard first).

I enjoy being flashy, but I wanted to get even more gun flashy rather than engineer flashy :negative: I never did get very far into FFVI, so maybe that's why I don't care so much about the new tools.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Once again you are just straight up lying.

MCH wasn't fun sub-70 and it wasn't fun at 70 either. Stop with this revisionist bullshit.

Some of us found it fun at 70 :shrug:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

imagine reading mordiceius posts

Reading bad posts is how I feel alive.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I just think there's a difference between "I find this class fun to play" and "this class is not broken and should not be changed."

Mordiceius posted:

MCH wasn't fun sub-70 and it wasn't fun at 70 either.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Allow me to rephrase that. MCH was a broken, bad class sub-70. It was broken, bad class at 70.

The only annoying bits of MCH at 70 was Flamethrower and not having WF manual detonate. Everything else was an elegant clockwork rotation running on 15/30/60/120s timers and that's gone in ShB and I'm gonna miss it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zoig posted:

Thats nice, but not realistic if you have high ping, especially since (as i understand) a very large portion of the damage mchs do is during overheat and then after it for a period they are basically throwing rocks. Missing anything in the period is a serious problem and while its not a design failing, It's also a reasonable thing to complain about.

I raided with MCH on 250ms ping for a year and found it fine when I ran a high-ping rotation :shrug:

Dryzen posted:

Bring back the cast bar

I'm glad the cast bar is dead.

But now it's super dead.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

What?

Do my gatherers have to be in the 60s for Namazu, or is it like Ixal and they don't care about level?

60+

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I can see that in theory, but I live in Australia and have characters in the NA servers (because the alternative is playing with Australians), so most of my gameplay is in off-peak hours for most of the playerbase.

We have a fledgeling Asia-Pacific goon fc on Kujata if you want to play with Aus goons.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

mikeycp posted:

kujata is good there are barely any english speakers

it rules

It shares a data center with Tonberry so there's plenty of English speakers here :shrug:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

small bird pudding posted:

Is it too late for SAM glams?

Makai striking top is always good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't think I ever got a creepy PM as a dragongirl, which makes me feel mildly insulted.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Asimo posted:

I know I had until 5.1, but gently caress it, this is out of the way. Finished most of it like last year at least. :shepicide:

Funny, I got it last night too.

Turns out that Maelstorm is the Flames of JP datacenters.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

It sounds like they fixed a lot of the problems that drove me to quit FFXI (inability to solo effectively, bad learning curve) so I think I will enjoy this.

For what it's worth, they've fixed those issues in FFXI too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah I am just going to do this and go over there I guess. With the expansion coming out on Friday, I can't imagine I am going to sit at my computer all day every day for the rest of the week hoping something opens up.

If you're east coast US it might be worth joining the eurogoons in Omega. I hear the ping is pretty similar to the NA servers which are west coast.