Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
FFS, Mord, POST THE GODDAMN SOURCE.

http://reinoel.tumblr.com/post/162237325118/aaaaaaahhhhhh-i-really-love-them-looking

(I will not be held responsible for anything you may come across linked from that tumblr.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE LOOK AT HIM!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

... what is this wonderful thing and how do I get it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That one really good Artistcatte is back:

:siren: Warning: Feels dead ahead :siren:

http://harusi00.tumblr.com/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Wonder Turbine posted:

I don't know about that, it couldn't have been cheap getting the Travelocity gnome to voice Papalymo.

Magil Zeal posted:

I thought it was just a location thing that prompted the switch.

Shere posted:

Didn't they move to a non-US based voiceover studio? Could it have had something to do with the SAG issues that have cropped up lately?

Los Angeles -> London.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's also a rad as gently caress dungeon, with a ton of nice details if you look around while grinding your ex roulettes.

There are a ton of GC NPCs running around fighting, with speech bubbles. One guy tells you to attack the scorpion robot while his tail his up (final fantasy 7). Raubahn and Pippin are fighting together just inside the castle. Hien and some ninjas are fighting another group just outside the throne room. Probably a bunch more but I haven't looked too hard yet.

One of them chucks a bomb to blow up a barricade to let you through. (I think that might have been R'ashat Rhiki?) Another one commandeers a cannon to blow a hole in another barricade.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hilarious. I am almost compelled to level SCH right now so that I can have fun with it while a thing, assuming they haven't got a patch ready for it to go this week.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

Do the DRG class quests for resolution on this.

Well damnit, guess I'll be levelling that next, because this plot point is gonna gnaw at me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lori posted:

I have been trying and failing to find the picture of Lyse, Alisae, and Tataru on a chocobo that says something along the lines of "Get on fag, we're going liberating", can anybody assist?

http://asrikins.tumblr.com/post/162093442241/road-trip-with-the-girls

e:fb

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
fast thread moves fast

Oxyclean posted:

...and is Samurai really all that iconic of a Final Fantasy Job? I mean, I don't doubt the idea is popular, I just don't remember it being a job option in the FF games I've played.

I would argue that blue mage is far and away much more iconic than SAM.

ImpAtom posted:

I can see it.

The Blue Mage's primary gimmick is getting damaged by spells in order to learn them. Play that up and have the Blue Mage have magical absorption skills + I donno, Mighty Guard as a physical protect skill and have it feed off enemy attacks in order to fuel its DPS skills.

Job quests = go get hit by a thing in this specially-constructed instance. Okay good, now you've learned a monster skill.

BLU would have to have more job quests than any other job to make this work, however. And decoupling job abilities from job quests this expansion doesn't help that any.

Saint Freak posted:

Berserker Tank and Chocobo Knight Healer

I always figured that had the class/job system worked out, that Viking/Berserker should have been the Marauder DPS fork, and used dots to trigger a thing that hits for ludicrous amounts of damage, a la Arms Warrior from WoW.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, sure, why not. Bad Breath could be the LB3, for example, it doesn't have to be an ability that slaps the boss with every status which it is probably programmed to be immune to anyways.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Been loving around with the new UI bars. Complaints about AST's gauge aside, which absolutely pisses me off too, anyone else annoyed by the inconsistent layering of UI elements? It's starting to get a little ridiculous.

If you could clearly define that hey, these items need to be layers above this item, this would make for much better usability for poo poo like WAR, where I would *like* to just superimpose the Beast Gauge over my MP bar, but then that leads to problems with it running over my buffs and poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah. When the melee DPS are dead or too locked-in to remember to hit LB3.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
General question to all Excaligoons: Anybody got their CRP up to 65 yet? I need an HQ Pine Fishing Rod so I can stop losing so many drat fish, and I don't think TPT has one up yet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
TPT has beachfront property, situated at The Best Plot In The Entire Mists, not like those other losers in the Goblet.

We'll be moving to a weeb mansion when that opens up, and I dare say that it will actually be a minor downgrade in terms of having bell, trash vendor, and market board so close to the current house.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 29, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The beach chairs are dumb and can't be /sit in, either, but that's neither here nor there.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think it would be great if all three FCs could snag 28, 29, and 30 all in one ward in Shirogane. Just section off that entire part as goon territory.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leofish posted:

So two people own a whole series of identical houses in an entire housing ward?

I mean, if you want to recreate the hellscape of suburban living, I suppose that's your dream. You do you. :shrug:

It's about the only kind of suburban living that's still affordable these days!

while I think their statement is a bit overdramatic, it does boil down to, "well, we were here on this low-pop server a long-rear end time before y'all came through", and I can't fault them for that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Everyone he's ever loved is dead.
None of his allies are actually allies.
He doesn't have enough people to wage war against Garlemald.
He can't get the Eorzean Alliance to retake Ala Mhigo.
He's cut off the arm of the one person who could be considered his closest friend.
And he's got Ascians whispering in his ear.

This was always going to end in his death, one way or another. He was going to get back at everyone, for everything.

Nihilism is a hell of a drug.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

If anything that's caring-too-much instead of nihilism.

Those who are heartless, probably once cared too much.

also:

*farrrrrrrrrrrrt*

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It used to be a stun. Then they took away everyone's stuns.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Third night of 1% wipes to Susano chasing my first clear as the ilvl requirements in PF grow higher and higher. (Two of those groups were with goons, y'all are great, I just think I can perform better.) I have tank questions because I'm insecure like that.

* Is there a trick to positioning him as a tank that makes him easier? Right now, I'm sidling him up parallel as close to the centerline to make jumping back and forth easier.
* Since tank angle doesn't determine the thin strip of safe zone, should I be angled off one way or the other instead?
* Does the tank move with others when someone gets stun + marked, or do they pop cooldowns and tough it out?
* Is Reprisal worth taking for Ukehi? I have seen PLDs Passage-of-Arms it and I want to help the same way. My actions are presently Shirk, Provoke, Convalescence, Rampart, ???.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 21, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Solitair posted:

I'm torn between finishing Stormblood MSQ, leveling my crafters and gatherers to 70, getting all the garo titles before the priest is taken out of the game, and actually having a life outside of FF14.

Finish MSQ. That's not even a question.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Reprisal is very good and is part of my standard loadout combined with the four other actions you name here.

If you have to take a stun, which thing do you drop?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's clearly cobbled together from bits from the Wrangler's Coat but it's so good and it's DoL only. (That last part makes me a bit sad.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Shy posted:

appearance change, name change and server transfer are three separate products (each costs money)
edit: oh wait, server transfer should include a free name change

If and only if someone is already on that server having that name.

The solution to that, obviously, is to ask a friend to roll a character with that name first.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Eopia posted:

What's a manthra?

I think they mean a male catgirl? Must be an XI refugee.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

Frankly I've never bothered with Awareness. Does it have any actual impact in serious for-real fights?

It makes Raw Intuition less-punishing to gently caress up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr Pepper posted:

Tenacity seems to be bugged because it's effects seem to be negligible to non-existent.

WrightOfWay posted:

It's not bugged, it just scales worse than Det, which is pretty much what everyone expected. Every ~200 Tenacity increases damage dealt/reduces damage taken by 1% and every ~180 Determination increases damage dealt by 1%.

jyrque posted:

Does Tenacity do anything else than increase your damage? Since it replaced the previously tank-exclusive Parry it seems like it should be a similar "higher means u tank gooder" stat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6kqb7h/tenacity_datadump/

TL;DR: 5% increased healing received, 5% increase damage output, 5% decreased damage taken for 1000 Tenacity.

So it ain't bad, and it sure ain't good... it's just ugly.

I chalk it up to stereotypical Japanese dev conservatism.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 3, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gearhead posted:

Kinda like how magic swords in Europe are great heir conditioners.

Booooooo

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So I'm actually kind of trying to get into this game, but I haven't seen an opportunity to make a character on Excalibur in 3 days. Is it just impossible now or what?

Also, if I'm interested in playing a class similar in style to fury/arms warriors in World of Warcraft what would be best for me

You're in luck. Maintenance is tonight, which means you'll have a window to roll a character when the servers come back up.

Build your character ahead of time on another server, and save the appearance. Pick a date and guardian deity (these are purely flavor and have no functional bearing on gameplay) and make sure the name you want isn't taken on the server.

That way when Excalibur comes back up, you load character appearance data, slam the other options, and you're in, and not risking the door closing in mid-chargen.

No character plays exactly like Arms Warrior yet, but if you want to swing around huge fuckoff swords and axes you have DRK and WAR respectively. Both are tanks.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 4, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

That is a very good question.

Devs? Yoshi? Anyone who actually works on the game?

Spitballing: To maintain a uniform stat budget across all jobs in the game?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They are re-using the old drop table from Alexander, so have this handy goon-created table.

Ignore the bit about the quest giving a bolt, that was true then, and no indication of whether or not it will be true now. Everything else is correct.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bonfire Lit posted:

We got one pedal and two bolts off V1.

No, that chart is what order in which to take loot for "optimum" results.

This is what you're looking for, a table of what drops where. Also goon-made.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kojei posted:

It's definitely not DRK. It's a stance unique to gunblade users.

Definitely not DRK. I had a bit where Cid and Nero both synced up with eachother and were hitting the mob I was tanking at the same time with the same GLD animations. And you know how your attack animations default to GLD if you're not a DoW/DoM. (If you don't, go switch over to a DoL/DoH and go hit a dummy for a bit, compare it to GLD/PLD autos. Heck, try doing /vpose and /bstance as a DoL/DoH.)

The only special thing appears to be Nero having a special idle, and an animation for firing the gunblade, which he seems to use on cooldown. Otherwise, it's just GLD autoattack animations out of him.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Clarste posted:

So what job would use a gunblade when we inevitably go to Garlemald?

I *hope* everyone gets a magitek weapon at some point or another. I've been hankering after the magitek hammer things for my WAR ever since I first laid eyes on it in Praetorium. (Being wielded by one Nero tol Scaeva, no less. =E)

Although the idea of books with guns in them amuses me to no end.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 5, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I've played piano all my life and I *still* don't go past 6.

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, is there any good advice for dodging AOEs in this game aside from just "reflexes"? I just caused like, three wipes healing Titan because of that drat Landslide. I feel like movement is tricky, and it seemed like I dodged a few that ended up hitting me. I know about the cast bar not matching the animation, but should I be turning and running forward? Sidestepping? Or do I just need to practice until I get it down?

Something that may not be immediately obvious, and contrasts from WoW: If you're in the bad when the cast timer finishes, it doesn't matter if you got out between the cast bar finishing and the hit landing, you're going to be hit. That said, Titan is kind of heinous as far as those kinds of fights go.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

How do damage reduction buffs stack? Like, let's say you're standing in a Paladin's Passage of Arms (so you're taking 85% damage), an Astrologian throws the Bole at you (20% less damage), and a Bard uses Troubadour for the appropriate damage type (10% less damage). What percentage of the damage do you take? Does it stack, or does it just go with the highest reduction or something?

Stacks multiplicatively. Assuming nothing has changed from HW -> SB.

The example given is that if you're a PLD and turn on Shield Oath, pop Rampart and Sentinel, rather than getting 20% + 40% + 20%, and getting 80% mitigation additively, the mitigation is about 61% mitigation multiplicatively.

In your example, it's something like 39%. (1- (.85 * .8 * .9))

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 5, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Now I want to find out what the highest amount of group damage reduction you can stack is, for things like primal ultimates. PoA, the Bole on a group (so 10% in that case), Troubadour... is there any more available? I know there are single-target damage-reducers, like Palisade, but I'm thinking for a whole group. I considered including Dismantle and Reprisal but if we're talking about a primal ultimate, they're going to be untargetable for longer than those last in I'm pretty sure every case.

Assuming the source is still targetable, Reprisal is an additional 5%.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

the guy in the Ala mhigan resistance

Arenvald? Half-roe, half-hyur.

Skaw posted:

MT: Snooze through this as well, Pull of Light is your tankbuster. Mitigate and Vril as needed.

For the love of all that is unholy, ANGLE HER. Point the Side/Back border straight back at the rest of the raid.

The death cone aimed at the OT is 120 degrees wide, and if the MT angles her 45 degrees off-center, it leaves the OT a LOT MORE ROOM to aim the cone out into space without accidentally clipping some poor healer that's standing over to that side of the map because they have the circle AoE targeted at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you sure? I swear I remember him confessing he was half Garlean during 2.0/2.X. The implication was his Ala Mohegan mother was raped by my Garlean soldier(s) during Ala Mihgo's invasion or early into the occupation (dude is barely older than Alphy).

Looking back, it's a lot more ambiguous than I remembered. I will say in my defense that it's possible someone in his parentage was a Roe, because he's hella got Roe features. So, either Garlean Roe shipped out from some other province, or Ala Mhigan Roe mother, the latter case of which allows for a Garlean-Garlean rapist.

But my case isn't helped by the game's code definiting him as a Hyur:

So I dunno anymore. By his appearance, I assumed when he said "half-breed" it was Roe/Highlander, because I totally didn't remember him, at all. I would even swear he has the Hellsguard nose. But I clearly wasn't paying enough attention.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 5, 2017