Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The DRK level 50 job quest is the best in the game, bar none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sinteres posted:

On the other hand, have you considered that Gaius did nothing wrong?

I have. But then he listened to some Ascians and I believe the common turn of phrase for that is 'You done hosed up son.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cythereal posted:

The Garleans may be asshat Romans, but one thing I have to give them is their loving style. I'd probably play as one given the option just because they tend to look so much cooler than the Alliance.

That's the real reason everyone is waiting for the Garlean expansion. We finally get a whole lot of access to their duds and fancy super-carbon fiber threads and galvanized titanium plates and whatnot.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Return to the future life with the affection you earned in this past life!

FFT had some really, really, really goofy lines.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

SAM question:

In practical usage, is there any use to Hissatsu: Seigen? Seems like a stupidly fiddly thing to try to work for. I'm not even convinced that Merciful Eyes, or even Third Eye is even worth working for, given that Bloodbath and Second Wind are a lot easier to use.

I kind of feel like all three skills could be safely removed the job and nobody would notice a thing.

It's another oGCD but really you don't need to work much for Third Eye. It has a stupidly short CD and Merciful eyes, while weaker than Second Wind, is pretty much always up (same issue with Bloodbath, you can theoretically get 4x Merciful Eyes per Bloodbath.) Seigen has a Kenki cost because otherwise it'd be a free 200 potency attack every 15 second spaced roomwide AoE's a boss has.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Past 60 you'll probably want to do more PVP although I've been getting a level a day just running the highest dungeon (using roulettes to get classes to 61 beforehand) even with long wait times (which I use for gathering/crafting xp.)

POTD experience tapers off at 60.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

On the other hand shields are for nerds and big swords and big axes rule and class balance is always shifting.

Real Knights do it with two hands.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Flames have a muted blue coloration going which isn't great (tied with their muted green hats and etc. which is even worse.)

Black however, is always stylish.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Leveling DRG I wish other people would goad me.

First I'd have to actually get an instance with another non-caster DPS though.

I'd even settle for caster DPS that know how to AoE properly!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The armoury bonus kicks in for anything you level that's not at your max level (IE, you're at 46 so anything up to that gets the bonus) so you can try out classes whenever you want. Serious leveling of another class should wait until you've gotten your main up until at least 61 at the earliest. With the glut of sidequests and having instant queues though you can very easily get to 70 and go from there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

nuru posted:

I don't like that Rhalgar's rebuilding is probably going to be our modern Revenant's Toll / Idyllshire considering the resistance already won and we could be chilling in Ala Mihgo or Kugane instead.

Rowena's Toll, Rowenashire, and now Rowena's Reach.

Ala Rowena doesn't have the same ring to it (plus people might actually get annoyed at her for usurping an entire state rather than just a city.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would not attribute the X-attack to a matter of ownership. Turns out a lot of people use that X-attack. There's an antagonist's lieutenant in the SAM quests who also uses it.

The Garlean Gunblades are standard issue and everyone who uses them seems to have Innocence and the delayed X slash. Also it can't be van Hydrus' because remember, he used a Gun-claymore :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Touchfuzzy posted:

Yeah, but.

Two more notches against that theory are that both died where it could be reasonable to assume that their blades couldn't be recovered and Zenos specifically said 'give your blade to the Butcher,' meaning said Garlean mauve shirt was being demoted in addition to giving her a Gunblade.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The person who used it in the SAM quests was a Hyur, and was using a plain ol' katana.

Oh right, that battle. Pretty sure he was using crazy Hissatsu that we don't learn (although the second similar fight also has them and they're a rather close Guren analogue.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 11, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bell_ posted:

My potato's defeats against the big guy were unwelcome at first, but built in my mind my character must be obsessed with fighting that guy. She might have dumpstered gods, but his power injected humility and a terrible hunger into her. When 4.0 ended, I knew I'd have to take up a katana because he "got her" or at least what she's become.

The neatest part of that section is how they tied gameplay with the story. As soon as I saw Zenos was level 70 to my 61 I knew it wouldn't end well. And they kept that consistent too!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

nuru posted:

To put it another way, I'm completely happy with how accessible gear is. But it all coming from Rowena is pretty dull.

FFXIV 7.0: You thought the Garlean's and primals were bad but now you face your most fearsome foe yet: Rowena! And boy is she pissed at you!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also as someone who mains dungeons for leveling having one every 2 levels is good. Keeps things moving even when the last dungeon gets a bit of the short stick (which is a further motivator to actually getting there for another class.)

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure why "random drops with bad luck protection" is something nobody ever seems to do. Something like:

-snip-

Now you have the chance of getting a cool random drop earlier than you expect, but if you don't, you'll get it in a reasonable amount of runs, let's say roughly equivalent to the amount of time it'd take you to buy something equivalent with tomestones in the current system, maybe a little longer to account for the likelihood of getting the gear sooner. And you've done that without making all gear just be purchased from an NPC. All the excitement of random drops, none of the boring predictability of making everything about currency, and significantly lessens the frustration of never seeing a drop and/or finally seeing a drop and being outrolled.

Is there a glaring flaw with that system that I'm not seeing?

The two glaring flaws (aside from it already being implemented) that you're not seeing is the 'reasonable amount of runs' thing. Invariably that number is going to be larger than a player wants and yet smaller than the design team intends for content longevity, having the bad luck protection being currency in a dungeon's case also future-proofs that dungeon for inclusion into content designed to get people to run old stuff. Prime example: 99 tokens to get a primal mount guaranteed is ideal for content longevity but horrid in a 'reasonable amount of runs' perspective.

The other glaring flaw is that such a system depends on the content it's designed around, both in a player fun factor and in a 'time spent doing this content' factor. Invariably people will get bored of running stuff no matter how much they love it which leads to the Brayflox Hard problem of people blitzing the content and burning out on it (and the whole game in general.)

Both of these aren't problems that any system can 100% solve. It's up to the designers to pick their philosophy, stick to it and adjust it with feedback from the playerbase.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yoshi's also said to some effect that the 1.0 code actively prevents them from doing so (because apparently all of our inventories travel with us on every zone in.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nobody expects the Ishgardian Inquisition!

Considering their whole introductory sequence in Coerthas Central Highlands was pretty much one of the most used plots in Warhammer 40k (who inquisitions the inquisitors!?) I dang well did expect them :colbert:

They haven't surprised me yet!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Argas posted:

I've a lot of issues with that arc but its overall its length felt right. You got to do the right amount of stuff (not necessarily in each zone) and it felt like it ended when it should've.

I agree with this. Also I feel that Doma is more a 'proof of concept' type endeavor coupled with getting stronger via experience. Fundamentally it's main point is 'ok we were on the right track with this revolution thing and what we were doing and now we can properly challenge the one thing that screwed us over.'

The other point is the excellent Doma Theme :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Concerning all the downed Imperial Aircraft you find strewn about the SB zones: They're much like real world aircraft in that the main thing that keeps them afloat is not getting hit in the first place. Most are assault crafts which took all of 5-6 shots from a dinky Anti-Air battery in Castrum Meriandum.

Fact of the matter is we haven't seen much of the one size larger than that outside of shots from cutscenes, heck the main one I remember is Gaius doing his grand ol' 'Emperor arrives at the Death Star' scene in 2.0. We've gotten more exposure to the Big Huge ships (the Agrias and the Gration) than we have the bigger-than-assault craft ships despite there only being 2 of those huge ones in existence :v:

I'm pretty sure the Alliance hasn't shot down any of those and we saw what it took to give the Gration some trouble (RIP Ysayle)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 13, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

UHD posted:

I'd welcome a Gogo fight if you had to stand there doing nothing for the first minute or so or he'd loving kill you.

Even better: The Gogo fight is Bardam's Mettle's second boss, only Hard Mode :getin:

Thundarr posted:

I am kind of surprised that people focus so much on that quest in Azim Steppes though. This is at least the fourth or fifth time the WoL has been tasked with picking literal poo poo up off the ground, it's practically our hobby at this point.

Even then people here haven't focused on it nearly enough as much as the requisite quests in WoW. Probably because FFXIV knows how to frame it's quests properly: you're not just doing it for them you're doing it FOR WITH THE CHILDREN and they have some pretty ok dialogue.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if those numbers are right (and he's not lying about using it), your samurai's kenki generation is very, very bad. is he hitting positionals?

Looks more like 'not using Hagakure on cooldown.' I know I'm still adjusting to not cap out on kenki when I actually use it instead of trying to get FAT SICK 32k DIRECT CRIT MIDARE SETSUGEKKA's!!

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 13, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Brainamp posted:

The dungeon can sense your desire, so you gotta empty your mind of all hope of reaching the bottom floor.

Also you must hold no hesitation in your heart for Fortune favors the Bold.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Eopia posted:

Also remember to always pick Left, the one true door.

I've had more luck with Right Door, the door of lies and deceit for I am not the Fool Who Follows, I am the Fool of my own failures.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Aquapolis is the courting dance with Lady Luck, only her favorite drink is your disappointment.

Bartender! A drink for the lovely lady if you please!?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

At the bottom of Aquapolis, occasionally the chest will contain 65 green cherries that rot upon leaving the instance.

There may also be a non-hostile yeti there doing the moogle dance.

There have been no instances where they have both existed in that room at the same time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

I also think the postgame Pool of Tribute / Emanation should have been classified as (Hard), not (Extreme). They feel way more like Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Hard than G/T/I EX. It's a shame that we won't get to see a proper Extreme version of Susano and Lakshmi where the fight is pushed to its limits.

One of the main reasons every Primal fight past the first three only has Hard and Extreme modes is because they're 8 man parties only.

Normal modes are for 4 people :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

It sort've bothers me. If I ran it a few times I'd just memorize which ones do which, but I don't play it enough. It bothers me because it's one of the very few mechanics that I feel you can only get after you've been hit by it. In the early game you get introduced to a fair number of markers, so they're easy to recognize by Stormblood. That one is one where you either know or get smacked though. And then the bitchy NPC tells you how poo poo you were :(

After looking at the boss and seeing one of those abilities pop up my only question was, and I quote 'Is that where he's gonna swing or is that where I've gotta stand? It's probably where he's gonna swing, yeah he swung that way. Wow this dude right next to me got hit this thing has a crazy wide range to it.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Attorney at Funk posted:

Also, Magnai sucks.

That's really the best part about them pairing up. Sadu will tell him that. Repeatedly.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

unseenlibrarian posted:

Based on the Lorebook, the real Kan-E-Senna fight is a drinking game.

Alternatively instead of being a Drunken Boxing Master she is the Drunken Casting Master.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Just repeat these simple words: Merlwyb pads her chest.

Then you will be alright.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Reiterpallasch posted:

as someone who mained a class that was colossally overpowered through all of 3.x: people who main an overpowered class then bleat that "the other classes should be brought up to this level" are actual retards. classes aren't just balanced against each other. the three points of the trinity are balanced against each other.

and why the hell should square have to try to rebalance 2-4 classes instead of one to fix a problem? these are the same people who refused to touch sch's fundamental brokenness through the entirety of 3.X, as whm and ast futilely competed to be allowed into the second slot in the raid, with ast finally leaving whm's broken corpse in the street. just lop some amount of potency off of paladin and call it a day.

As someone who mained a class that caused people to drop out of groups (or were kicked out of groups because 'lolpld') because it increased their clear time by ~20 seconds (those A1S light farming idiots :argh:) Squeenix's take on buffing instead of nerfing is a refreshing change, both because it takes more effort and that said effort is noticeable. Lopping potency off of overpowered things is the easy way out and usually doesn't fix the fundamental problems that are actually happening (Pet jankyness with SMN/SCH, WAR&DRK having useless/counterintuitive buttons, DRG having to stick to a battle buddy in addition to a really long lead-up time on their SICK RED DRAGON LASER button etc.)

Reiterpallasch posted:

the devs gently caress up catastrophically whenever asked to do a lot of design work

If new PLD, AST, BRD etc. are catastrophic fuckups they need to catastrophically gently caress up that way some more with everyone else :allears:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Asimo posted:

Counterpoint: Players are idiots and you should never listen to them.

The actual Dev rule of thumb for this is: Players have a really good idea of what's wrong but they have absolutely horrible ideas on how to fix it. Listen to players for problems, remember it's your game and not theirs when checking out their advice on how to fix said problems.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder which Mystic Quest songs would make it into this game. The standard boss music is a lock but I'd wanna hear Doom Castle :rock:

e oh my god what if an entire section of Omega is FFMQ :aaaaa:

The Dark King's theme would be in no questions asked.

Also the normal battle theme. As the theme for all the bosses :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

potaties posted:

gently caress it, just drop Lavos in there already

Thematically Zombor, Masa & Mune, Ozzie Flea & Slash, Magus would be a more appropriate raid :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rainuwastaken posted:

Smithy Gang raid tier culminating in a secret Culex boss battle.

Odin/Yojimbo, Gilgamesh & Necron, Culex and a Dimension hopping Cid for a tier.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Givin posted:

Don't forget to make the boss only accessible by a long bridge which has a 1/64 chance of spawning Warmech.

That's the other one! Warmech! Knew I was forgetting someone.

Odin/Yojimbo, Gilgamesh & Necron, Culex, Warmech. That's the multi-FF raid crew.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Or 7 creation tokens if you're a baller PLD :smuggo:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I am crazy late to the party but I did it. I finally conquered that one stupid jump.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Generally I like to hold onto LB3 until a boss is around 15%, by that point it's pretty clear whether we'll need it for Healer LB3 to save us from the purgatory of doing the fight again. If we're at 15% and I have not hit that button it's because I'm dead, the boss is doing a move that will make the LB wasted, or we might need it (in which case I'll hit it at 10%.)
Only time I'll burn it before then is with bosses that have gimmicks that boost your LB gauge, like the last boss in Sohr Kai or Halicarnassus.

There's also a few cool thresholds where you can skip some end boss phases in the dungeons if you do your LB's right, the main ones I know like the back of my hand are:

Last Boss of Ruby tide, if she's <20% when she summons the adds to go into her third Thick Fog phase, ignore the adds and LB2 her, that combined with your other DPS will kill her before she wastes a minute of your time.
Last boss of Bardam's Mettle: Melee LB2 at 16-17% and you'll skip the Wings phase of the fight (it transitions at 13% after casting Unbound Winds once more. Timing's a bit tight here, if the LB goes off as it jumps that's a wasted LB.)

Notably you can't skip the last boss of the Ala Mhigo's final phase. He transitions super-quick at 13% and LB2 only does 8% of his health.