Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
Why do the servers hate us...ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is wow also getting ddos'd right now? Cuz we are and gw2 is, guess someone is super mad at video games

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jinh posted:

Is wow also getting ddos'd right now? Cuz we are and gw2 is, guess someone is super mad at video games

Aren't a bunch of sites doing a net neutrality protest today? Can't imagine Blizzard/Square/ArenaNet are participating with their servers, maybe some people are ddosing the severs to make a point, as much sense as that doesn't make?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Jimbot posted:

Can't Square just fire that worthless hack Nomura and put the hundred billion Yen they were going to funnel into that moron's project into anything Yoshi does? Like adding more servers to help with these annoying lag spikes and 9k errors? Give money to a guy who takes a decade with his games or give money to a guy who turned around a failure in under two years. Hmmm, that sure is a tough one.

more servers will not stop ddos

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ImpAtom posted:

I'd unironically enjoy a goofy minigame where you have to set up a raid boss with different mechanics and patterns and then NPC adventurers try to beat it.

You have to level up to unlock more points to spend on more complex attacks and then you can equip it with loot drops with rarer loot drops drawing more powerful adventurers so you can get more experience points from them,

Hell yeah, advanced squad training. Teach those little bastards how the echo'd do it.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Unsure if this is just a levelling issue or what, but what's the deal with WHM mana management? I'm new to XIV's way of doing things, but I'm leery of contributing too heavily to dps, particularly on trash, because of how mana-heavy it feels. The healing isn't much of a problem, particularly combined with Lucid Dreaming for mana maintenance, but it feels like it would be super easy to overextend the Stone spam. (I just hit 50 and am wearing total garbage gear, FYI)

As a followup, what's the basic healing strategy? Maintain Regen, fish for Cure 2 procs with Cure 1 unless the tank is getting poo poo on, in which case spam Cure 2? I'm having absolutely no issues healing right now, but I'd prefer not to get into bad habits if there's a Correct way to be doing this!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shy posted:

Fund a new game or burn money on hardware no one will need in two weeks after population stabilizes? Hmm, source your quotes.

This is Nomura. That game isn't coming out for another decade at least, and it'd require a new director to get things off the ground. Obsolete hardware is a better investment. At least with continual funding of a decade long project won't raise their unrealistic expectations on western developed game sales.

Minrad posted:

more servers will not stop ddos

Not even today. 9k happens a whole lot these days.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I just finished 2.4 and uh

Quest Spoilers for Old Stuff:

Am I supposed to like Ishgard? gently caress Ishgard. All available evidence says gently caress Ishgard, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be an "enemy of my enemy" sort of deal. I'm interested to see when the other shoe finally drops. Iceheart and the imperial spy were more likable than any of them.

Except Haurchefant, he's cool.

Needless plot musings aside, Is there a way to macro class swapping to a button that I can put on a hotbar? It's not too tedious by default, but it would be handy to switch to Weaver quickly for the Provision quests.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^ sweet summer child... :allears: check in with the thread after the 2.55 content (you'll get a long cutscene warning" and after the 57 dungeon

Wilekat posted:

Unsure if this is just a levelling issue or what, but what's the deal with WHM mana management? I'm new to XIV's way of doing things, but I'm leery of contributing too heavily to dps, particularly on trash, because of how mana-heavy it feels. The healing isn't much of a problem, particularly combined with Lucid Dreaming for mana maintenance, but it feels like it would be super easy to overextend the Stone spam. (I just hit 50 and am wearing total garbage gear, FYI)

As a followup, what's the basic healing strategy? Maintain Regen, fish for Cure 2 procs with Cure 1 unless the tank is getting poo poo on, in which case spam Cure 2? I'm having absolutely no issues healing right now, but I'd prefer not to get into bad habits if there's a Correct way to be doing this!

What level are you? It's a bit bad until you get assize, then mp regen is great until you get thin air after which mp is barely a concern unless you're chain rezzing or something.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

What level are you? It's a bit bad until you get assize, then mp regen is great until you get thin air after which mp is barely a concern unless you're chain rezzing or something.

I've just hit 50. Looking up Assize and Thin Air, looks like I don't need to worry about it!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jimbot posted:

Can't Square just fire that worthless hack Nomura and put the hundred billion Yen they were going to funnel into that moron's project into anything Yoshi does? Like adding more servers to help with these annoying lag spikes and 9k errors? Give money to a guy who takes a decade with his games or give money to a guy who turned around a failure in under two years. Hmmm, that sure is a tough one.

Kingdom Hearts is great actually, gently caress you. Please look forward to the crossover event when 3 comes out.

LordHippoman posted:

Am I supposed to like Ishgard? gently caress Ishgard. All available evidence says gently caress Ishgard, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be an "enemy of my enemy" sort of deal. I'm interested to see when the other shoe finally drops. Iceheart and the imperial spy were more likable than any of them.

Needless plot musings aside, Is there a way to macro class swapping to a button that I can put on a hotbar? It's not too tedious by default, but it would be handy to switch to Weaver quickly for the Provision quests.

No, you are absolutely not supposed to like any of them. Don't worry, it ties together.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wilekat posted:

That sounds about right? At 56 you get Assize which is 10% mana + damage + healing every 60 seconds, at 60 you get Tetragramation which is a strong heal on 60 sec cooldown with no cost or cast time, and at 62 you get Thin Air, which is 12 seconds of no mana costs. DPS spells don't hurt your mana too much unless you're spamming holy a lot, I've never had issues with going oom from doing damage fill, only from needing to heavy heal due to low gear or a lot of party damage. I'm not too keen on exactly how much mana lucid gives back but i usually pop it when I'm at 70-50% mana and it's usually back again before I'm starving for mana even in 50 content when I'm lacking those other tools. With good gear I'm rarely using cure 1 over cure 2 in 50/60 dungeons.

If you got some spare poetic tomes you can go to Mor Dona and pick up some Iroworks Gear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

basically Umbral Hearts (and the attached GCD casting Blizzard IV) are only worth using on Fire IV, casting Fire I with them is a dps loss, and to reliably cast only Fire IV with Umbral you need to be Hard Turret Guy which is often unrealistic, and even if you can, the gain is incredibly marginal (~.2 potency per second) if you never mess up.

From my experience, 4.0 rotation is for when swiftcast and/or triplecast are up, or for some of those dungeon bosses or phases where you can just turret up forever since ather manipulation has a far shorter cooldown than dangerous things.

What I wonder is, how will these things scale when we're down to 2.3s gcd in the later patches. I had to fully meld i270 to get down to 2.4s GCD in HW, I'm already at 2.41s just by buying entry level vendor gear in SB. Another 0.15s off of each of those fire 4s would make a pretty big diff.

Countblanc posted:

my group solo healed O1 last night and it was cool. not really a particularly exciting accomplishment but we're hoping to do the others before Savage. having a Red Mage really lessens the burden though

I solo healed o1 and 2 as sch super easily. O3 is also perfectly doable if everyone's playing with you nicely, and o4 is probably doable if people don't screw up.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

LordHippoman posted:

If you're playing on mouse and keyboard you can just drag a gearset to a hotbar and drop it in.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Once you get Thin Air at 62 you can safely spam even holy as much as you want without running out. Stone barely even registers, at least in dungeons. Maybe if O4S is a sloggy, healing-intensive 15 minute enrage MP will matter there but it won't matter in anything else.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lmao

cheetah7071 posted:

Once you get Thin Air at 62 you can safely spam even holy as much as you want without running out. Stone barely even registers, at least in dungeons. Maybe if O4S is a sloggy, healing-intensive 15 minute enrage MP will matter there but it won't matter in anything else.

Yep, thin air pull 1, shroud of saints pull 2, go empty pull 3 (if there even is one), then it's boss and whatever stone and regen is cheap, hit thin air and shroud on cooldown and you'll be just about ready for the next pull when it dies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

It would basically have to be 9 minutes of the burn phase of a8s. WHM mana management is amazing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

LordHippoman posted:

Ishgard is really hosed up but they've also been embroiled in an apocalyptic war of extinction while everyone else shrugs and looks on.

They have every reason to be isolationist and fygm towards the other City-States.

That said, no you're not really supposed to love them other than Haurchefant and Aymeric. They are still essential to the overall defense of Eorzea against Garlemald.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ishgard is really hosed up but they've also been embroiled in an apocalyptic war of extinction while everyone else shrugs and looks on.

They have every reason to be isolationist and fygm towards the other City-States.

That said, no you're not really supposed to love them other than Haurchefant and Aymeric. They are still essential to the overall defense of Eorzea against Garlemald.

An apocalyptic war that I'm guessing is their own drat fault. Would fit everything I've seen of Ishgard so far.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Captain Oblivious posted:

That said, no you're not really supposed to love them other than Hilda

FTFY :colbert:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Cythereal posted:

An apocalyptic war that I'm guessing is their own drat fault. Would fit everything I've seen of Ishgard so far.

This was largely how I felt as well when goingt hrough the story. Then got to the part where you engineer a revolution, literally ride into Ishgard on the back of an elder dragon, and personally kill the government, and was like "ok I guess this was a good story after all".

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

*nervous laughter*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I mean, there's a bit of blame you can lay on a few dragons but largely Ishgard is run by and built on poo poo until you get to step in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

*nervous laughter*

There has been a grand total of one story-relevant Ishgardian I've met so far who isn't a complete rear end in a top hat. I do not want to save these fuckheads.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dr Pepper posted:

I fail to see a problem that can be fixed by adjusting potencies means the job is "fundamentally bromen"

Yeah I don't agree that it's fundamentally broken either but I'm just shocked in a "how did they not ensure that the new rotation is better?!" sense. i'm sure it will be addressed but hopefully sooner than later, it's just so silly

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Waci posted:

This was largely how I felt as well when goingt hrough the story. Then got to the part where you engineer a revolution, literally ride into Ishgard on the back of an elder dragon, and personally kill the government, and was like "ok I guess this was a good story after all".

I agree with this in every way.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Cythereal posted:

There has been a grand total of one story-relevant Ishgardian I've met so far who isn't a complete rear end in a top hat. I do not want to save these fuckheads.

I think you'll be just fine.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Cythereal posted:

All the Ishgardians you've met so far have been military/political/religious figures. You shouldn't view them as representative of the population; instead, think of them as a sickness you must purge.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CuddlyZombie posted:

I agree with this in every way.

The establishing moment when I knew we were in for a good ride was early on when they take in Tataru on some bullshit charge and you march on in to clear her name via trial by combat. It helped establish that you weren't loving around and also it felt good to cut loose and beat up some priests.

e: also worth remembering that the lore reason DRK exists is to execute corrupt clergy and knights that are above the law

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 13, 2017

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The establishing moment when I knew we were in for a good ride was early on when they take in Tataru on some bullshit charge and you march on in to clear her name via trial by combat. It helped establish that you weren't loving around and also it felt good to cut loose and beat up some priests.

e: also worth remembering that the lore reason DRK exists is to execute corrupt clergy and knights that are above the law

I'm not gonna lie the moment where the court is going WILL A CHAMPION STAND FOR THIS LALAFELL and you march right the gently caress in there, the greatest knights in Ishgard look at you like "who the gently caress's this rear end in a top hat", and you trounce the gently caress outta them while heroic music plays is probably the highlight of the entire first act of Heavensward for me. And at that point you've barely been out of the city, I think.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Attorney at Funk posted:

All the Ishgardians you've met so far have been military/political/religious figures. You shouldn't view them as representative of the population; instead, think of them as a sickness you must purge.

I'd say they're really more like filthy rats. :unsmigghh:

Also, NIN is real fun, thanks to the people who suggested it! Bit of a learning curve to learn what mudras to use when, but that's better than a class that you can more-or-less learn within five minutes really.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Since someone asked about this in fcchat:
  • The CRP leve with the highest possible xp/leve is making Zelkova longbows which take 4 advanced items from 3 different classes. It's a level 68 leve, and if you could do it at 60, it would take 41 leves @ 1.62mxp/leve to go from 60-70.
  • The level 60 CRP leve for Beech Lumber takes... Beech Lumber and is worth 1.36mxp/leve. It takes 49 leves to go 60-70.

This actually makes a lot of sense because

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Those are both assuming HQ?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Toshimo posted:

Since someone asked about this in fcchat:
  • The CRP leve with the highest possible xp/leve is making Zelkova longbows which take 4 advanced items from 3 different classes. It's a level 68 leve, and if you could do it at 60, it would take 41 leves @ 1.62mxp/leve to go from 60-70.
  • The level 60 CRP leve for Beech Lumber takes... Beech Lumber and is worth 1.36mxp/leve. It takes 49 leves to go 60-70.

This actually makes a lot of sense because
doing any leve that isn't a basic refined material is essentially the dumbest thing one can do

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah. The problem is that the triple turn-in leves give 50% more xp then others of the same level, but the gain in XP from doing higher-level leves is much less than that (maybe like 5-10% more XP for a 62 leve than for a 60 leve, for example). So you still win by doing the triple turn-ins. Also most/all of the crafting classes have a triple turn-in leve that requires an intermediate material rather than a finished product (wood or thread or leather vs. a finished product), so not only does it give better XP it's actually significantly less work to make. Yes you get more XP for making all the intermediate mats in the process of crafting the finished product, but not nearly enough to make it worth it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nobody expects the Ishgardian Inquisition!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nobody expects the Ishgardian Inquisition!

Considering their whole introductory sequence in Coerthas Central Highlands was pretty much one of the most used plots in Warhammer 40k (who inquisitions the inquisitors!?) I dang well did expect them :colbert:

They haven't surprised me yet!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Attorney at Funk posted:

'Dear Chief Replacement...'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaLTPTTgAaM

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

LordHippoman posted:

Click the little page button called Gear Set List and then you'll be able to make gear sets and then you can drag those to your hotbar to quickly switch around jobs.
Also the little refresh looking button will update your gear set when you equip a new piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nuru posted:

Those are both assuming HQ?

jalapeno_dude posted:

Yeah. The problem is that the triple turn-in leves give 50% more xp then others of the same level, but the gain in XP from doing higher-level leves is much less than that (maybe like 5-10% more XP for a 62 leve than for a 60 leve, for example). So you still win by doing the triple turn-ins. Also most/all of the crafting classes have a triple turn-in leve that requires an intermediate material rather than a finished product (wood or thread or leather vs. a finished product), so not only does it give better XP it's actually significantly less work to make. Yes you get more XP for making all the intermediate mats in the process of crafting the finished product, but not nearly enough to make it worth it.

Yes, those are both triple turn-in HQs.