Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
All I want from Eureka 2.0 is daily quests.

That's it. That's what will get me to go back into Eureka to actually do stuff. I got sick of grinding mobs back in OG everquest, I vastly prefer completing tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

somepartsareme posted:

actual dps doing more damage should outweigh healers in most situations
Pulling Bardam's Door to Door, no one's doing more damage on the first two doors because they're a long ways away from each other and everyone's having to sprint along to follow the pull.
Also the tank's going to die without defensive CD's because regen/shields are not enough for the damage going out during the run over.

That's only a problem for the first two doors though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I use Clemency to pop my own divine veil when the healers decide they're not going to.

I also use Clemency to heal a boss when the healer dies in the first 30 seconds of it for standing in two bads in a row.

Finally, I like to throw it out during raids to try and touch up some people that almost died from something and the healer's are a bit busy/low on mana.

It's handy.

Blast of Confetti posted:

it's fracture all over again
No, Clemency is sticking around.
Tempered Will is the one that's going the way of Fracture :negative:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mymla posted:

If the DPS or healer is able to pull before the tank, then the tank is poo poo at its job.
If the DPS pulls the boss, dies just as everyone else gets in and releases immediately so that we're three manning the boss then they might be going a bit too fast.

I still remember that MNK from Fractal Hard.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thundarr posted:

So many dancers grievously injured while trying to pick up inferno chakrams.

Remember: you can't catch something if it's on fire :v:

Moogle Gunblade will also shoot moogles.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

All the Primal katanas are pretty good. I've been using the Ramuh one.

I settled on the Ramuh katana after trying a few of the others (Shiva, Ifrit) because it fit my glam quite well.

Then I saw the fiend katana and went :frogsiren:

I've tried a few other katana's since then, Sophia's, Katana of the round, etc. But I keep coming back to the fiend's katana. It has a nice green glow. And a pretty neato unsheathing animation.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vitamean posted:

Airships as housing would solve the land availability problem forever, though 😔

Land Barons riot as thousands of airship houses fill the skies! WoL called to battle the new Housing Craze sweeping Eorzea! News at 11!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My take on the expac stories:

HW was a pretty good journey of discovery and leveraged pretty much everything it could with that.
SB had some good intentions but it kind of muddled itself a bit between the ala mhigo/doma split and the supporting cast isn't as tightly bound by circumstances but there's still a lot of great moments in the story, some I'd say are better than HW's. The sidequests in particular are extremely well done and tie into the central themes of the expac better than HW's. And I'm not talking about the Hildebrand stuff, I mean the sidequests in the Ruby Sea and the Ala Mhigan settlements. Those were pretty good stories.
As for the characters in SB...

Alisae's pretty good. Her arc's pretty simple and sympathetic and she gets plenty of exposure time so you can connect with her.

Lyse is something of a mixed bag. I can see what they were going for her (I liked the scene where she and Hien had some talking time) but she needed a bit more showing and less telling to really hit what they were going for IMO.

Hien's ok. Great theme, but his character is more of a catalyst than an arc. He seems pretty tailor made to fit into the rest of the City State leaders.

Forola's pretty interesting and I do hope we get to see more of her.

Yotsuyu I didn't find that interesting. Everything was pretty much laid out in the first explanation of her deal. What I did find interesting about her whole thing was the stories and first hand accounts of the people you talk with about her. It's a nice way to develop the picture of Yotsuyu's History more and also give a little insight onto how Old Doma was at the same time. I did like how her and Gosetsu tied into one of the core themes of the expac though (like Sunday Morning said, there's a definite theme of 'what do you do with the people who served the tyrants you overthrew?' going on.)

I liked Zenos as an antagonist. Especially the encounters with him leading up to the climax, mostly for their execution (I am a real sucker for when story and gameplay integrate like that.)

Garlemald also got some good villain cred for Varus's ham acting. The wheels within wheels stuff is also interesting, both as set up and as a source of internal tension for them.

SB was a pretty good Expac and I'd say it's slightly better than HW in terms of how thorough and well written it's themes are within it. It feels like there are less dud moments/questlines that don't tie into one of SB's themes compared to HW's.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'm going PLD first, getting GNB/DNC to 70, then SAM, then whatever to finish up the new storyline stuff (prolly MCH/RDM for ranged, WHM for healer) then GNB and whatever afterwards.

Dr Pepper posted:

Anyways on a meta level there's no way such a twist will be straightforward if it's being used as the stinger on a trailer.
As usual, the context is what's intriguing about the stinger and the only way we're getting that is by playing the game. Theorycrafting is pretty fun with this stuff though.

Also agree that considering who is delivering that stinger there's no way there isn't something 'off' about it. Even if it turns out to be straightforward.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

The worst part is that Mor Dhona is only a short walk from the Crystal Tower. So as soon as those gates open again Rowena will expand her empire over all the shards.

Fortunately, Rowena has already expanded her empire all over the shards.

The best competition one could ask for.

Rowena (first shard) vs. Rowena (source)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 13, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

It's not that he has a different job, it's that Acamedician sounds like it was made up, on the spot, in the span of three seconds by someone who doesn't actually know what his qualifications are

Remember the initial introduction of Astrologian to the series. It was much the same.
'oh what's this guest dude doing here.'
'huh his class is astrologian wtf ever sounds like he made it up on the spot. why isn't he a star seer or an astrologist or whatever'
'HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS HOLY he can call himself whatever the hell he wants if he keeps STOPPING THE GALAXY for the enemy team forever.'

Give the dude with non-traditional carbuncle recipes his chops.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

He's also not using Gravity :argh:

It's Urianger.

He has to take a break from using it SOMETIME. And a casual stroll through a dungeon is just the way for him to do that. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ivalice-style raid series. Magus' Castle, Kingdom of Zeal (or Tyrano Lair), Black Omen.

Yakra doesn't appear in Magus' Castle originally but he's a pretty iconic boss.
The beauty of porting things in is that you don't have to follow the structure as they're presented, but can do things in a different logical manner.
Ergo:

Fiendlord's Keep: Yakra XIVth (:v:) or Heckran, Miniboss Flea, Miniboss Slash, Ozzie/Flea/Slash, Magus

Zeal/Black Omen: Giga Gaia, Golems/Dalton, Queen Zeal.
You can condense Zeal and the Black Omen to streamline their themes, since really not much happens boss-wise in Zeal.

Tyrano Lair is a cool place but it's hard to get three distinct bosses out of it and both Magus's Castle and Zeal are cooler. It'd have to be something like Nizbel, Azala, Azala & Tyrano's.

Final raid being just Lavos would be a neat take that FFXIV hasn't done yet. So much so that I kind of want that more than a Giant of Babel style raid (which would be like Alexander in execution.)

Kerrzhe posted:

I don't want another raid story like the Ivalice stuff because holy poo poo it was so long and none of it meant anything unless you played the tactics games. That questline is the only time I have ever skipped cutscenes, cause I just wanted to unlock the raids.

Don't forget the stuff from Twelve in there. Or the whole 'hey the Dalmascan Resistance is another ally like the Domans and they're looking for an Alliance with Doma' bit that happened at the end.
Or that Orbonne is pretty much three bosses do Ysayle's thing rather casually and ghostily :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

I would replay 2.0 and do those drat sylphs, the hell banquet, and the garuda crystal jerk around a dozen times before i have to put up with the Ivalice thing just one more time.

But would you do the 60 quest doldrums of the 100 quest demarcation between ARR and HW? That's the real metric here.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

Unequivocally yes.

You poor soul.

Leofish posted:

Every FFXIV wedding I've been to/seen screenshots of has at least one person wearing Amon's Hat.

I think you technically can't have the ceremony unless you've invited someone who has and will wear the hat.

I've been to a wedding or two where I haven't see anyone wearing it.

It's kind of hard to see other hats beyond it, true :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I love Cactbot. Punch in one two three get 10k MGP!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

itskage posted:

I don't know if a y is optimal. I always use an L or t shape depending on the starting position.
Y is optimal because it gives you the most coverage on a card at around 75% (you know 66% of half the combinations and 33% of the other half) AND it works with every possible starting position. You will always be able to draw a Y on a card no matter what.

The only shape better than it is a T that touches 3 corners and that's not possible if you get a starting point in the middle of one of the sides (in terms of a 10 key: the 8, 4, 6, and 2 spots.)
The card coverage tops out at around 80% (you know one combination, 66% of three and 33% of half.)

L's and non-corner T's you're shifting your probability around to cover less of the board in exchange for outright knowing a combination. I want to say it comes in around 40% (0% of one combination, 100% of another, you know 33% of half the combinations and 66% of two of them.)

This is napkin math so my total probability coverage is likely off by a bunch but I know my methodology is sound.

Always go for 123's, since they pay out a full 2.78x more than the next highest combination, 789. So you can afford to miss two of those per 123 and still come out ahead.

I need to check how much MGP I've gotten in the gold saucer but I know it's somewhere around 3-4 million because of my purchases and that's, like, 90% from doing my mini cactpot every single day. Drawing a Y, picking towards 123's (I got lazy and forgot about the corner T until looking at the probabilities just now. :shobon:)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 17, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CYBEReris posted:

fates and dailies are fine as supplemental exp. with fates though aim to clear the challenge log entries instead of doing them for their own sake, that's where the payoff is.

Also at 46-50 the Saint Coinach leves in Mor Dhona are great for XP. I did them between AV runs back in ARR's hayday and when leveling up DRK/MCH and it's a not too bad at all.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

It might be data mined during the 24 hour down time but I wouldn't count on it.

Crafting data like that usually takes a bit to get done. I remember it took a couple days after early access for the discovery of how SB's crafter leves let you level everything pretty quickly to propagate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've been getting the urge to fantasia as well, but part of me knows I'll regret it and just pay again to change back quickly.
I'm pretty sure I have two free fantasia's so I can try things out and swap back.

Or, not change at all and let them sit there. Just like the other times.

I do have a retainer fantasia though so I can change one of them... And a viera would be fitting for the naming theme I have going on for them...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Minrad posted:

Depends on if you're getting poo poo worth desynthing (duh, but BSM isn't really gonna be worth it if you aren't getting lots of weapon drops from, say, primals, for example)

Mastercraft Materia for GC seals says otherwise :getin:

But you only need ARR level BSM desynth for that and the big money is in the new hotness of Primal Weapons usually.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

UHD posted:

but i can also repair anything i want at any time :smugdog:

Anytime anywhere repairing on the cheap: the real benefits to omnicrafting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, that's another big change between FFXIV and other MMOs. Square doesn't do public test servers so aside from what they show us in Live Letters and whatnot, datamining isn't nearly as much of a thing. We'll know changes when they are live and not really much sooner beyond a very broad view of things.
From a bit back, but datamining is exactly as much a thing here as it is in other MMOs.

It's just that SE tries a little harder in the version control department when it comes to keeping spoilers out of the game and the miners have to wait for the prepatch like everyone else before they can pull up concrete details.

Didn't stop RDM, BLU or Hrothgar from being spoiled ahead of time though :v: (although to be fair, the Hrothgar being unveiled by a bug in the French/Italian (i forget which it was) version is pretty hard to plan for.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

I really hope SB2 doesn't have a mechanics boss like Bardam. It's cool the first time you do it, but it's the exact same thing every time. There's no way to speed it up either. It doesn't help that you can just go afk and 90% of the time your party isn't too stupid to handle it. It really should have been part of a solo trial rather than repeatable content.
On the other hand it's like, a 2-3 minute boss fight. At most.
The only faster boss fights are when you Unsync stuff (and most old content is pretty quick too.)

Given how much they've been tweaking NPC allies for handling mechanics it wouldn't surprise me if they stuck refreshers/tests in solo stuff in ShB.
Not to mention Trusts being available to do another Bardam's style encounter.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Can I get 'ability to adjust to the party's playstyle' for 300?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Eimi posted:

I don't know if my perspective is just different or what, but I regularly use DF and never encounter any of the harrowing tales y'all talk about. :shrug:

The majority of runs are usually good enough to not warrant mentioning.

But when you get a bad group/person they really stick out because of that, since most people will forgive bad play if they're new and learning and are showing that they are learning.

Sometimes, people don't learn.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 20, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hemish posted:

2. In the same general area, I remember losing spells or spell ranks in the Duty Roulette and franctically (when you spawn in the content and then everyone rushes and get killed because you don't have healing spells...) having to visit my skills to put lower ranks back on my bar since my current ones weren't available. Is the game still like that?

This isn't a thing anymore. For SB every spell was tweaked so that when you got an upgraded version you instead get a trait that upgrades it, so you don't need two buttons for the same spell. It'll just automatically un-upgrade/de-grade when you're level synced.

There's an outlier or two, like SMN's Ruin 2 (which fills a different niche) but for WHM's your bar should be set once you cap out.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 21, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

IcePhoenix posted:

That's cool but he's directly replying to a post about healing spells. Perhaps the op didn't know that cure ii isn't actually a "direct upgrade" to cure i! Context matters y'all.

That's true, I assumed that was known.

Coming SHB it'll be even less a problem though because a healer's bars without heals will be... pretty darn small :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Zack Ater posted:

(Arguably you shouldn't ever cast Medica 1 but that's outside of the point I'm trying to explain.)
Medica 1 + Assize = Medica 2 (mostly) all at once :colbert:

Also it's good practice in order to not spam medica 2 all of the time because medica 2 is expensive.

Also also it casts slightly faster if you ever want to get all three stacks of confession for fat plenary heals.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Annath posted:

That's basically how a Shaman's Healing Wave and Healing surge work, respectively, in WoW.

In that, you only ever use Healing Surge if it's procced for free, or in an Oh poo poo emergency, because it's insanely inefficient otherwise.

:eng101:

Unlike in WoW, you can afford to spam Cure 2 for a bit in FUBAR situations. You can't cast Cure 2 all day like you can Cure 1 but sometimes you just gotta open up the hose on the tank.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Tanks in general in XIV have been sort of disappointingly hard for me to get into because they all look really similar, with that similar look being generally unappealing to me.
Ironically, the class with the most 'basket of niche tools' approach after Scholar would be Paladin. Mostly because of how unique Cover is :v:

But some of those are going away come ShB (RIP Tempered Will.)

Glagha posted:

I'm a catboy player and someone touched my tail once. That was it.

I'm a dude Highlander and the weirdest thing having to do with my character model was way, way back in ARR when I was doing a First Coil run as a DRG. The other DRG in the party looked at me and was like 'd-dad?' and I was like 'wait what.'
Turns out we had the same face, only I had the mustache/beard on top of it :v:
Got a good chuckle out of that.

Also one Lalafell likes hiding under my tank skirt while I hang out semi-afk on occasion but that's a single-person case.

Every other weird thing I've seen has been one-off occurrences of other people doing weird things. Like, I once had someone roleplaying as the Joker in an Aery run back in HW. As a Summoner. With macros for pets and a few choice abilities.
The costume wasn't spot on (gamblers coat IIRC) but green hair and pale face were props for effort.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't afk in Limsa anymore because I got like 2-3 creepy whispers like every month.
This is probably the biggest part of actually getting attention.

I AFK near my FC house and I haven't had any creepy tells, ever. Just people occasionally asking for info. Some glam compliments in DR occasionally.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit: Nope, no more. Actually, considering that I've been playing this game for ... almost six years now, that I've only really had one genuinely bad experience with pubs says a lot about the game, I think.
I've had more but a lot of that was from HW relic light farms that kicked me for being a PLD and dropping A1 clear times by 20-30 seconds. 'Cause that really sucked.

It's also somewhat balanced out by the fun I had in 6/7 tank runs of that :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

Tag yourself I'm the guy shrugging.

6th rock from the left.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Impermanent posted:

really, really don't trust reddit theory threads for how a class plays in practice. Don't go to the balance, don't go to the official forums, don't go anywhere. Those guys always scream that the sky's falling and invariably their complaints are either a: wrong or b: patched within a month or so.

And often times C: completely discounting the Fun factor that a person can have playing a class.

IE the 'Ultimate Bahamut world first clear had a tank that played Dark Knight because said tank enjoyed the class' clause.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

BrightWing posted:

Become what you must.

Become...

A bunny-tiger-potato-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

jalapeno_dude posted:

Looks to me like they're trying to cut down on super long crafting recipes with the Maker's Mark and Heart of the Crafter changes. No idea why they deleted Byregot's Brow though.

Probably button bloat. The only time Brow comes out ahead of Blessing is when you have less than 5 stacks of Inner Quiet. Above that Blessing is just plain better and the difference isn't THAT great.
Plus with the Touch skills introduced with SB it's pretty hard not to get at least a 5 stack going on IQ.

Not to mention Blessing is now standard on everyone so Brow is pretty superflous :v: