Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember getting one shot to a King's Will'd Iron Justice crit from one of the dullahans in there back when I farmed it. Shoulda used more cooldowns on trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I tried fractal and struggled against the first midboss, Neverreap is a lot easier.

Can the non final boss chests drop weapons or should I not bother with them?

The last chest before the final boss has a chance to have a weapon in it. That's the only other chest in the dungeon that they've kept sticking a potential weapon in aside from the final boss's.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thundarr posted:

It's going to be Kefka's Tower and you're going to like it.

It's going to be the Jenga tower in Onokoro.

Kefka Tower style :getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd say put Yojimbo into the Manderville quest lines somehow, but I suspect they aren't going to do anymore trials related to Hildy.

Are you kidding more Hildy stuff is practically perfect for the odd numbered extra content.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

See, here's a prime example of what I mentioned awhile back.

Accurate view of a problem: low level dungeons aren't that fun because they take awhile to do and we're missing really neat abilities.
Proposed solution to that problem: A crazy technical and convoluted balancing method that actively punishes you for going into low level dungeons by making your really neat abilities hit like a wet fart in order for actual new people to have any chance at experiencing it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally, as a big dense idiot, I get really angry when other people try to do my job.

I had a tank like this in Haukke manner the other day when I was getting DRG over the 60-61 hump. Was annoyed enough to say something at my pulling and handling of the succubus patrollers despite my being able to deal with them while taking no/negligible damage. I shrugged and let it slide.
Then did it again because the first one in the basement came up behind us and would have inconvenienced the healer for a moment if I hadn't obliterated it in the same amount of time. I like to hope that the message got across to that tank... Or alternatively they didn't notice.

That's my LLDR story of the day :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

After clearing O2S my pug group went straight into O3S

That fight does not gently caress around. Why is there an add that hits for 69K with it's autoattack

Renaud from t7 laughs at this.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Some bosses laugh at ranged who don't stack up because they have huge conal aoe's that would be way more dodgable if they were up close.
Other bosses support the feeling of separation by having per-player AoE's that stack (Bardam's Mettle's final boss is kinda crazy with 2 Melee dps for example.)
And then some bosses don't care where you stand and just hit you with instants/roomwide AoE's.

Good ranged who are experienced with the content will know what to do and where to stand with all of these bosses.
Bad ranged do the same thing all the time and get hit for it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheRagamuffin posted:

As a newbie tank, I'm finding the biggest thing that trips me up is knowing what mobs In about to lose threat lead on. I kinda wish there were separate aggro icons for "you have a decent threat lead" versus "you have a tenuous threat lead". How do better tanks keep track of this? Do I just need to get used to reading the A/2/3/4/etc markers at a glance? Is there any way that doesn't involve just cycling through every mob?

e: Should I just not even care about this level of micromanagement, and just Overpower again, when in doubt?

In your standard pull of 3-5 mobs it's easy enough to check enmity levels via cycling through every mob (at least on KB+M.) Another trick is using the health bars to tell you what people are targeting as their primary. More damage = More enmity thus things that are dying fast tend to need your attention more.

If it's a huge trash pack, either intended or of your own making, just overpower/flash/unleash or abyssal drain as needed.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Your Computer posted:

Why did no one tell me that the Magitek Armor plays Terra's theme if you've got mount music enabled :aaa: It's awkwardly sped up but god drat what a nostalgia trip.

That makes me wonder, are there other mounts with special music? If so, what's everyone's favorite?and how do I get those mounts

The Fat Chocobo mount plays a rendition of his theme and the Gold Plated Magitek Armor also plays Terra's theme in addition to the ones Gruckles' mentioned.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Countblanc posted:

I don't, please tell me about Gearscore.

iLvl's before iLvl's, complete with people requiring an iLvl/gearscore that can only be had by completing the content they were looking for people to do.
Also the criteria kept changing on what calculated as what gearscore.

isk posted:

This a thousand times. gently caress mods, gently caress needing to (at best) spend more time updating/replacing mods than I do patching the base game, gently caress the lovely subculture that enables reductive analysis of skill. FFXIV's UI could use a couple more components and improve a few others, but the default UI is significantly better than WoW's and it's perfectly adequate for most situations.

Being able to have elements be freely moved about, turned on/off as needed and some elements resized to suit individuals taste is like, 95% of what I want out of customizing a UI. Some better conveying of information (enmity stuff) is pretty much the main thing holding it back from being perfect.

And that was before they added the class bars! (which need a bit more work yeah but it moved some info off of the buff/debuff bar so that's nice.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 24, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheRagamuffin posted:

Can we all at least agree that the bases are almost irrelevant?

If one team owns all of the bases for more than 3 minutes something has gone very, very wrong. They're not THAT irrelevant.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Plenty of NPCs die unless they are Scions and then they just get KO'd no matter how horrifically injured they are. Regula is super dead, barring Ascian silliness or The Unexpected Return of Nybbas Obdilord.

Poor Urianger. He's the only one who remembers Moenbryda right now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The only issue with being so killy is if the third team knows what they're doing and sandwiches your team to kill you while you're killing.

Alas, that tactic is rather rare.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

It's from the level 69 dungeon. Getting it sucks though because weapons aren't included in the automatic drop system.

And yet I have half of them :colbert:

... The MCH one is so disappointing compared to everyone else's though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

We got like, 30 more jobs to master before we can 4 man him.

what do you mean you're not gonna master berserker

master berserker

master it

do it

now

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

Quests to get from 1-50: 184
Post 50 Quests to get to level 51 content: 101
2.0-2.55 is where the fat definitely needs trimmed. It was fine when it was first introduced because it was designed in part to tide people over for awhile until the next patch hit so the dozen or so-odd quests per several month cycle was no big deal.

Now that it's a giant lump sum you can easily cut it in half to get to all of the really good stuff there (the lead up to HW.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

I guarantee you that it wasn't, didn't, and didn't. There was nothing interesting about it. Basically every job had 3-5 CC abilities that were marginally useful and the rest weren't even worth considering. Some jobs had mandatory or nearly mandatory CC abilities, like provoke or swiftcast. All this did was make it so that to spend time on a different job instead, which meant zero progress towards leveling your main class and the MSQ. Ask all the monks and bards who had to grind out LNC 34 to get Blood for Blood how rewarding it was.

It was pretty rewarding :colbert:

But that's because I got to learn LNC/DRG and pick up a perk along the way. For people who aren't at all jazzed at leveling multiple classes it was a rather annoying gate to full power.

Also when you run out of quests in the low and high 40's range in Coerthas and start getting blocked by MSQ's that's intentional. In keeping with the 'we're giving you an extended tutorial on Themepark MMO's' those sections are pretty much forcing you to learn to get XP from a non-quest source so you know what to do for alt classes and such.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There are things I don't like about the SB story.
They do not outweigh the things I like about the SB story.

I've read a lot of stories and the only thing that SB gets wrong is that there's a bit of confusion about us fighting two liberations when in terms of story structure we really only fight one (and help with the other.) That's still a great two for one deal on liberations though :v:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 29, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

nuru posted:

Story narratives for why the zones have nothing going on doesn't really help solve the problem of feeling like zones in FF are dead.

Azys Lla is probably my biggest disappointment in the game. There was a lot of potential that went nowhere with that zone.

Azys Lla is also where it's really a problem. Every other zone in the game has a decent enough reason for why it's sparsely populated and some of them are improved as time goes on (Moogle Beast Tribes help flesh out Churning Mists for example.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That RDM clearly just wanted to stab things.

And stab things.

and Stab things.

and stab Things.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thundarr posted:

One of these has bunnygirls, so we know which one the fans wants.

The other is grimdark medieval politics & war and yoship is a big fan of GoT so...

That said I still like FFT's setting and I would mark out for a Lionel Castle gate-style fight.

That gate was silly. Give me a Golgorand Execution Site battle :getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Gearhead posted:

Pretty sure Yoshi-P said it was a good idea to bone up on War of the Lions so.. on the upside, there is a non-zero chance of THUNDERGOD.

Cid you have been out-Cid'd.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheRagamuffin posted:

On the other other hand, every boss from Castrum Abania.

The Magitek Roader's in general are pretty much spot on. I scoffed at their special attack in 6. Here? Goddang that wheel moves looks like it HURTS.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Shoulder Tackle has to be a gut punch in order to impart the maximum amount of gently caress Yeah into the level 30 PUG quest's intro cutscene.

I'm pretty sure that I have never actually *seen* the Steel Peak animation because it just gets weaved in between everything else.

I have because it's a pretty awesome 'heck yeah my shoulder is now in your face' combined with the stereotypical 'you thought you were coming up behind me but guess what fist straight into your nose punch' move.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Leal posted:

Where is his nipples?

That's not a man, that's a man-suit!

All shirtless roegdudes are really three lalafell in a man-suit!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

'uigi' isn't a single syllable so it breaks the scheme unless you use it like Count Bleck did.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's sort of a crapshoot to determine what will or will not just straight up kill you when doing things unsynced.

Fail Ramuh's DPS check? Judgment Bolt instafries you.

Fail to hit the elemental converter for Levi's Tidal Wave? lolwhocares

Ramuh's Shock Bolt tankbuster also goes through Hallowed Ground and every damage reduction CD that isn't doing the mechanic correctly. Which at current health pools is survivable until he casts them back to back.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

In related Omega shenanigans, tonight I met a lalafell racist in O3.

Refused to resurrect our BLM when he died to a Holy Spellblade fiasco in favor of using Rescue on CD to annoy one of our SAM (also Lalafell.)
Said BLM remained dead until getting ressed by the other healer at a wrong time (Queen's Waltz post Golden Dragon spawn) and was dead until the breather after the sand pit. That's a little under half the fight dead mostly because he didn't get a Res tossed his way.
Also said Rescue shenanigans for the SAM included being pulled into AND out of Ribbit in time for him to be hit by it and get screwed over via mechanics.

That was a surprising and awkward amount of timing and dedication they committed to an Anti-Lalafell stance :stare:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I don't even know the lyrics to Under the Weight but you can sing along pretty well with 'Diggity dug a doug doug doug' a lot.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

that's still 5

dw'ler.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mages troubadour is pretty much always useful so you can pop that whenever and it won't be a waste.

The others do require a bit more knowledge on the fight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The thing is that it worked pretty well except in Coil and Titan Ex. Warriors could solo boss fates no problem because between wrath stacks, 300% heal and bloodbath anything that didn't kill them in 1-2 hits would just get healed away.

See above where things started to kill them in 1-2 hits.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

gbarrel only works on the user's end so it's sullied no matter what. Might as well be honest about it (and take screenshots without it on at all :v:)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 5, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

Yes but what's the escape velocity of Hydaelyn, check mate round earthers :colbert:

Nothing because gravity isn't a thing on Hydaelyn, everyone just gets drawn to her because she's so needy.

Counter check mate :gitgud:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

Yojimbo will be an add in rowena extreme

"what the hell are these?"
"scrips"
"sorry I only take cash"
"too bad your dog signed a contract entitling you to work for me in exchange for allagan doggy biscuits"
"dangit not again"
Yojimbo prepares Shin Zantetsukan on Rowena.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

You know who else makes stupid amounts of money and has unchallenged power?

Warriors of light who aren't bad at the market board.

SE's next big Gil sink: A Yojimbo fate that offers an exclusive minion, mount, orchestrion scroll and crafting material where you have to pay him in order to actually fight him. The cost increases with each spawn and has no cap.

Said cost only resets during patch maintenance.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

vOv posted:

I generally pick the 'nice girl' WoL options because I'm a pushover that can't be mean in RPGs but I had to pick that one because it's so good.

I tend to pick the smart man options because I can't help it.

When I said 'I accept you' to Zenos I immediately headcanon'd his followup with 'woah woah woah buddy not like that I mean I accept the way you are and that I have to kill you.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Given that Zenos is also a prince and how he likes/engages in slaughter he's more Luca Blight than Akuma.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Alright Exdeath, in exchange for letting you kill us we want two chests with nothing but shafts in them ok?

DANGIT EXDEATH THIS WAS NOT IN THE AGREEMENT