Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The thread is dead, long live the thread.

Just waiting on that live reading to start. And I guess the class guides would be cool too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Monk trait to give yourself a Chakra stack on a critical hit is a 50% chance. That's literally a free Chakra stack every other Bootshine. :stare:

Yeah everything's potency is down, but TP cost is also down. So... less raw output but almost unlimited sustain, with manic periods of Forbidden Chakra spam seems to be the new normal.

e: Internal Release is also now 30% crit up. They clearly expect Monk damage output to be based around making GBS threads out a constant stream of crits.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 16, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also Twin Snakes is now 10% rather than 5%, which honestly should be almost enough on its own to counteract the potency drop.

Yeah pretty much. I'm feeling less leery about the changes, but we'll still have to wait and see how it plays out over the next few days.

I'm thinking I'm going to tell the Astro to feed me Arrows so I can see how many crits I can squeeze out in the next 30 seconds.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The greatest challenge with Samurai is that I will never, ever get the names of their skills straight, meaning I will only be able to communicate rotations by describing what the icons look like.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Man. This Raubahn instance wait is the most brutal mechanic I have ever experienced in this game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Touch of Death, MNK potency, and the ability to cross-class B4B. :rip:

Twin Snakes going from 5% to 10% damage helps offset the potency loss on MNK moves at least. Sorta. Maybe.

On the other hand, Internal Release jumping to 30% and all of that melded Accuracy turning into Direct Hit softens the blow a bit. The first TK I landed today hit for 15K.

I'd like to say how effective the level 62 trait is but I can't get into the drat story instance and I'm not going to spend all day FATE farming just to level in the meantime. :orks:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

YellerBill posted:

That's also just a trait being rolled into the base ability. :v:

Really? I don't remember the trait taking it all the way to 30%.

On the other hand SAM at level 50 is pretty easy to figure out, even though none of the other SAMs I bump into seem to have done so. Now to level up and get lost in the John Maddening.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Aether is completely kaput.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a completely problem free first day of a popular MMO expansion, but it's also really loving stupid that they put in an instance bottleneck basically at the start of the MSQ, especially when the MSQ gates pretty much everything in the expansion. It's amazing to me because HW had two different quest chains at the start with two different solo instances in order to avoid this exact problem. It's like they did the exact opposite of learning a lesson.

We've even got branching quest chains here too! Just that one of them doesn't have an instance when it easily could have. :negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Finally got past the drat instance only for work to call me in to fix things that shouldn't have been broken :mad:

Possible music spoilers: Why is the music theme in Rhalgr's Reach an instrumental version of what appears to be the Garlean National Anthem?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

At least with Raubahn Savage earlier in the day I could just keep clicking until I won. Now I get booted back to the lobby server any time I try to enter a solo duty. This is kind of dumb.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Made it all the way to not-China and the long (single) arm of Raubahn Savage still reaches me over here. At least Susanoo didn't eat me, I guess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Meditation is what you use during the downtime while waiting on the server login queue.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Goddamn, gently caress the 70 monk quest. The target list and controller targeting in general is not remotely good enough to support a solo fight like that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I'm trying to remember ARR, did Gaius ever commit any atrocities or ala mhigo-style brutal occupation, beyond expansionist aggression at the behest of Garlemald

I guess besides his ill-advised Ascian alliance, anyway

He was very big on will to power and loved chewing the gently caress out of the scenery any time he got the chance to talk about it, but other than that he was probably the sanest Garlean leader we have encountered. Total control, but of actual living and productive subjects rather than a charred hole in the ground or riled-up angry people.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Last story fight is definitely a pubbie slayer, but it's good fun one you are in a group that's light on their feet and pays attention to what attack is coming out. Also has a metal as hell transition.

Party wipe at 30 seconds on the first pull is hilarious and I'll miss it once everybody knows how to not die there.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Dungeon 4 / level 67: Owns
Sick music, good fights and RIP AND TEAR :black101:

Expansion Status So far: Owns

I was expecting who the boss was from the cutscene before the dungeon, but I was not prepared for CHAOS SPACE MARINE Grynewaht. That was a fun fight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Trasson posted:

Not every quest can be as grand as stealing pants.

I am ashamed to admit that I don't remember the pants stealing episode even after it was mentioned in passing during the msq.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

I only read text if it's Hildibrand, and I guess Alisaie now as well

It's true, Alisae is the very best. Always read Alisae text in 4.0.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jinh posted:

There was a fun thing found in the red mages discord BTW. If a mana type is unbalanced it will not only gain, but lose half of what it should. It may be a bug but it allows you to go into a melee phase early if you start with 0/0.

"Unbalanced thing: when white and black mana difference is >30, the smaller mana has gains reduced by half, but also expenditure is reduced by half; namely riposte cost goes 30->15, zwerr and redoub go 25->12"

"Precast Accel+VerAero -> VerThunder -> VerStone -> VerThunder -> Jolt2 -> VerThunder -> Impact -> VerThunder -> Manafication -> Melee combo"

"After manafication you're at 54/100"

So they didn't fully math out how their system works and as a consequence the ideal rotation is to deliberately do things the "wrong" way? Or would this have otherwise negative consequences on your dps output? I haven't redmaged yet so I'm not sure if don't this screws you in some other way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

it is glorious. I am eager to get the skill that grants a chakra when a party member uses a weaponskill. Alas, that is a lvl 70 skill, but I can dream...

Thanks to Brotherhood, I learned yesterday that Forbidden Chakra has a cooldown timer.

:getin:

In less happy news, I 90k'd while entering a duty, waited in queue behind 800 people, and immediately 90k'd again. Ugh.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

The underwater parts of Othgard feel weirdly empty of fish aside from the spearfishing nodes. If you go into the underwater settlements you can see fish schools moving around but when you're out in the wild swimming the ocean is essentially a sterilized pool.

Cataclysm's Vashj'ir had a ton of fish and marine life swimming around, with the occasional shark and giant whale. I'm disappointed that FF14 doesn't have an equal amount of ocean fauna or even an Emerald Weapon to suddenly loom up on you out of the depths to make you jump in your seat.

I have definitely seen schools of fish and the occasional shark while swimming around in the Ruby Sea, but they sure could put more pretty things under the sea.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pikavangelist posted:

"From the moment I laid eyes on him I knew it was fate. Would you like to hear the tale of our meeting? Of two brave souls on the battlefield of love?"

I must know which quest this is.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Glasses should be their own cosmetic gear slot. Please Yoship, please.

PS3 is dead, so let's reintroduce visible belt slots too.

Hell it's a Final Fantasy game, give us three of those.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Are you even supposed to still have the echo? Didn't you get your connection severed?

You never lose the echo. It's the blessing of Hydaelin that you lose. It's sometimes a bit murky that there's a difference since both are talked about as being a gift from Hydaelin, but you are born with the echo and you receive the blessing specifically to do a job at Hydaelin's request.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

EXDR is damned good this time around. Neverreap kiss my rear end.

Both ex dungeons are good this time around. I guessed the boss of one from the text before going in and he did not disappoint. He was also revealed in the benchmark so I figured he'd show up somewhere.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

There's three dungeons this time actually :getin:

The lochs feels criminally underused. I hope it's not another Asyz La, that place felt so lifeless and underused.

Does the level 70 story dungeon actually show up in ex roulette? Because I'd be very ok with that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Some of the SB A rank hunts are real assholes. The minotaur in the Lochs that stole Mahisha's name (why did they do this again) has a mountain of hp for ~i300 people to chew through and periodically eats some unlucky sucker in addition to the usual cyclops attacks. It didn't help that the servers were busy trying to kick us out to the lobby the whole time too.

I still can't figure out who to give the cracked materia he dropped to, either.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

It's still a waste of time to buy gear, right? Cause the 66 stuff looks nice, but I know the MSQ gives out HQ stuff from time to time. And it's been ages since I got a dungeon.

Don't buy gear for your first class to 70.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

I posted earlier about how I thought the story was stupid. Having completed it, it's time to effort post. Obvious story spoilers, do not click if not finished.

I generally agree. It had some pretty good high points and amazing set pieces but on the whole it isn't as good as what we had in Heavensward.

Spending too much time in the east and not nearly enough in the west created some pacing problems that really stood out. I think it worked pretty well up to the first time Zenos kicks your rear end, but then your time in the east drags on and by the time you get back its all hey we have to wrap this expansion up and everything gets compressed way more than it should have.

I understand the point they were trying to make with beaten and abused civilians not being eager to resist for fear of losing what little they have left, but by the third or fourth time that came up Lyse should have had a better reply ready rather than just having it play out the same way repeatedly.

Zenos is basically a villain from a punchmans game, in that he's OK with burning down the whole world as long as he gets his One Good Fight out of the deal without much personality beyond that. I didn't appreciate that they tried to romanticize him at the end since he was portrayed as an irredeemable psycho right up to that point. Though in fairness even his own dad literally says as much a few minutes later. At least Zenos' deliberate undermining of the Garleans' best interests in pursuit of his goal serves as an explanation for the utter failure of imperial intelligence to so much as slow you down, let alone stop you, once the real fighting starts in Doma and Ala Mhigo. Seriously both of those sieges play out way too perfectly.

Yotsuyu was more interesting in a "bad people can be victims too" sort of way, though they never really gave us details about how she made the jump from hating her family for making GBS threads on her to personally blaming all Domans everywhere for her awful childhood. Maybe that'll happen in future patches.

On the other hand, this expansion gave us lots of Alisae time and that is a good thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alakaiser posted:

Spoilers for the main scenario, don't look if you haven't completed it unless you don't care

I thought it was the Garlean anthem too, but the ending doesn't make a lick of sense if it is. They're all on the roof of Ala Mhigo singing it and poo poo, unless I really misread that scene. It caught me more than a little off guard.

My interpretation was that it was originally the Ala Mhigan anthem but the Garleans co-opted it when they took over because that is the sort of poo poo conquering empires do to undermine an occupied nation. Then at the end they changed the lyrics again to celebrate the liberation.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sinteres posted:

I don't know if this is something that requires spoilers, but the mount from the hunt achievement requiring 3000 A Ranks and 2000 S Ranks seems pretty brutal. Pink Peanut, did it unlock for you immediately?

Yeah I'm never going to be getting this one. At absolute most I'll max mount speed everywhere and even that will take too much time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pretty much. Since a Shire wep is now something like 400 Poetics just go directly to that and leave your arms/armor in PotD at max. Once you no longer have any combat classes you care to level up, feel free to spend the PotD points on glamour weps unless you have plans for a solo or deep run.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Has anybody verified whether or not you can still get credit towards the Garo mounts in SB? If so, does the Feast give any meaningful xp or only Frontlines?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thanks guys. I guess I'll finally get around too attempting the Feast in the first place. Worst case scenario is I have to do it 60 times for the mount, right? :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Out of the three times I have run the level 70 story dungeon so far, two of them involved the healer accidentally getting themselves and one of the DPS killed at the final boss by stacking at a bad time.

I have to say, duoing the boss from 40% with a paladin owns pretty hard.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

I am on attempt #11, after 3 different groups, of the final story instance. We bailed on the last one because I had two items break and my DPS was even worse than usual, and now we are all repairing our poo poo and getting our AF3 gear before regrouping :v:

It's a very good fight but holy gently caress. So lucky I found a healer to queue with, otherwise I would have just quit playing until enough people had done that fight that I could get guaranteed carried instead of all these wipes

It is a good fight but it also kind of highlights the skill level of the average DF rando. I'm looking forward to the inevitable Ex version.

As for DPS queue times, they are super bad right now in part because Raubahn Savage gated a hell of a lot of people for several days during early access and now everybody + infinity SAM and RDMs are hitting the endgame at the same time. It'll settle out eventually, but it will take a while.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Skanker posted:

I've been playing AST since their release and I honestly don't know if this is a thing affecting all healers or not. Whenever I do synced content I literally can't heal speedruns anymore, the numbers are barely enough. Can't do even a bit of DPS either. The regen seems way weaker and AB has a real high mana cost. I keep drawing Ewers for myself because Lucid Dreaming isn't enough.

Stormblood is cool but I super dislike healing in it and I can't even put my finger on what's wrong.

This is anecdotal, but in the last week I have run into a unusually high number of healers who are struggling to heal, even the ones who make no attempt to dps. I don't know if I'm just having bad luck with getting mediocre healers or if something else is going on.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It seems like Light Party Challenge Mode is megapulling everything between the first and second boss in the level 70 story dungeon. If you can successfully avoid a wipe while doing this you probably deserve an achievement of some sort. Failing doesn't necessarily mean you are bad because that pull is legit hard if you grab everything, but don't try it if you don't have a lot of faith in your group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

yes lets let tanks do this then theres no reason to ever bring a dps to content. We can just roll 6 tanks and 2 healers.

Man mode is now canon. Except the men are paladins instead of warriors.