Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I'm curious as to how they'll balance Monk in PVP, considering that in Stormblood PVP crits aren't a thing anymore. Which is the one big thing I kinda disagree about the PVP changes that I've seen so far, but we'll see.

Remember, PvP is effectively an entirely different game going forward. No traits, and some abilities just share their names but not effects. Somersault surived the revamp but is retooled to give a Chakra Stack. Form Shift gives Greased Lightning. These cost TP to use and are on 5 second cooldowns. GCD Combo attacks no longer use TP in PvP for all jobs. TP is basically now just a resource for some abilities like those.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Minrad posted:

PvP is WAY different, but it feels pretty good. Reminds me a lot of Battlerite, like I thought it would. It gives a ton of exp too: Came in second for 600k at level 60.

Guess I'm grinding frontlines to 70 on my other jobs!

Yeah, I reported back on PvP earlier in the discord, and it cannot be stressed enough that if you enjoy PvP, use it to level. It's just shy of 600k experience at 60 and scales up.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

This annoys me because I find MMO PvP to be literally satan but muh expeeeez :(

The revamp is incredibly different. Almost all of the RNG in the combat system has been removed with the notable exception of damage variance. Skill Potency is roughly the amount of damage you deal or heal. Players have static stats, DPS sit at 10k health, with Healers at 12.5k and Tanks at 15k. Kits have been massively truncated to where classes only have about a dozen abilities total. Most importantly, the whole system where PvP Rank dictated relative player power through ability upgrades is completely gone. Everyone is absolutely equal.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

I finally got around to trying The Feast. It seems cool as heck. What are some basics I should know to play better? NIN if that helps.

Pay attention to the enemy medal counts and dog pile the guys with a lot. Icons next to their name/class label represent a count thresholds. Avoid attacking people with one coin icons. Prioritize people with bags and treasure chest icons. Protect your people with the same icons.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

PvP revamp is my jam.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

How long does it take a PVP queue to pop for RDM/SAM?

POTD's probably still significantly faster than PVP for anyone under lvl 60 at least. :shrug:

PVP Queues vary, but theres no job requirements so it's literally whatever place you are in line vs how every many PvP Instances exist. They're generally 5 minutes or less ever since the GARO event started, unless completely swarmed. Now that they give experience, I doubt queues will ever truly die again.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
The Quarry sidequest in The Peaks was the most mind numbing thing ever.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Do the blue icon sidequests. Those are your unlockables. Dungeons, currents, Hunts.

Also yeah theres a boatload of exp in SB, Yoshida wasn't kidding. 67 Bard at Azim Steppes as of last night, and 64 Paladin from just farting around with roulettes and running dungeons with other people so they don't need to deal with queues and picking up side quests to knock out when queued on the higher level stuff as Bard.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 19, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Pryce posted:

Yeah but blue quests are still gated behind MSQ, right? Most hubs don't have quests on them until you progress the MSQ through that hub, at least in the early SB areas.

Yeah that's right. Definitely go through the MSQ immediately, then peak at the unlockables that become available and do currents, and then immediately move on to the next MSQ. Any others would be up to you, but I definitely recommend Hunts so you can use those as daily experience injections while waiting on roulettes. One stars unlock at 63, two stars at 65, three at 67, and then B ranks at 70. The queats are available in Kugane at the Holstery, with the Hunt Board outside on the side facing the main aetheryte. There is NOT a new seal, for anyone wondering. Veteran Hunts reward Centurio Seals too.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 19, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Leofish posted:

The Paladin oath gauge seems kinda tacked on, but after doing the first new dungeon, I think I get the point of it. Bosses don't really attack enough to generate the blocks needed to get your Sheltron and Interventions up quickly in Shield Oath, so it encourages you to switch to Sword to at least get the auto-attack points. I don't know if later bosses become much more painful in DPS stance, but I found I was able to survive in my admittedly-not-fully-augmented-shire rear end and use my cooldowns a bit more, besides. I used to be nervous to switch out of Shield if I didn't know the dungeon, but now it doesn't feel so bad.

When you get Holy Spirit, it gives 20 oath when in Shield Oath. And coincidentally, you can cast it 5 times on full MP. What you're experiencing with the gauge is more a symptom of how thing are trickled down to you though. By all means though, use Sword Oath more. The downside to Holy Spirit in Shield Oath is losing 62 potency. Use Bulwark as your first CD to quickly build your gauge in Shield Oath. They made blocking omni directional now, so large packs don't have to be positioned quite as delicately to make full use of it.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 20, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

On bosses so far through stormblood I do not have to use shield oath or rage of halone at all. I've been pulling with holy spirit, goring blade combo with fof popped before goring, holy spirit till i'm out of mana, then just alternate between royal authority and goring blade as necessary until i have fof back up and more mana.

I've rarely had to toss an enmity combo out at all.

Yeah, I've yet to seriously be challenged on enmity on SB bosses as Paladin too, myself. I did one Sirensong final boss entirely in Shield once because the healer was pretty awful at doing the march and retreat mechanics, otherwise it's been Sword all the way. Meanwhile, had a dark knight in the 55 dungeon absolutely bitching up a storm about how hard it was for him to hold aggro.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dear Caster DPS (aka Red Mages) who don't give me Mana Shift after I pointedly tell them to give me Mana Shift when I'm at 20% MP 'cos I've spammed the poo poo out of Holy in your level 50 dungeon that I'm graciously healing

gently caress YOU

Signed

Me

Same but with Foe Requiem and it's monster drain. I can loving refresh your mp back because I'm gonna use it anyway to get mine back too, keep the damage rolling dudes.

For real though the weirdest thing about Stormblood Bard is constantly reminding myself that I have a targetable convalescence, an optional babby rampart that can be put on anyone else in the party, and a choice of Max Hp+15%, or between 10% physical or magical damage reduction for the 3-7 others with me. Defensive cooldowns like that feels incredibly alien after all these years.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 20, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Personally for Dark Knight, aside from potencies, I think it's high time the refresh limitation on Darkside takes a hike. There isn't really a reason I can think of for that to have ever existed.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've seen this happen in raids. :buddy:

I kept myself and a Black Mage up through a long period of Scathatch as a Paladin when the rest of the party was loving dead. Dude was impressed afterwards.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

nuru posted:

PVP changes are interesting. Also fantastic xp for the roulette.

The experience isn't tied to the roulette, my friend :getin:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
So the client update didn't fix Battle Voice being able to miss and be dodged by your party members yet? Uggggh.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
For PvPing, it's a really good idea to bring others along with you and use discord, PSN chat, whatever you have available. You can only do the roulette solo, but all you're missing out on is some wolf marks and progress towards PvP Rank(which is currently meaningless, I believe.) Being able to coordinate easily with just one other person is a huge shift towards succeeding, and the more you bring with you, the larger it is.

Experience earned is a static amount regardless of placing position. So if that's all you're after then don't sweat it none. But rolling people over with friends and bringing in the wolf marks to pick up glamour sets makes the time much more enjoyable.

For Shatter specifically, Ice is all well and good, but it can also provide you with the critical moments you need to easily break a team of it's Battle Highs and Battle Fevers while their alliance are busy with the big meaty training dummy objectives. Players with Highs and Fevers carry with them larger point penalties for dying and are absolutely worth defeating when you get the chances to, as well as reducing their alliances damage output on the ice by removing those buffs.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 21, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

No more cast bars again is the big thing. The songs are pretty dramatically different now, also. The TP and MP songs are role actions, don't consume MP and most importantly don't reduce your damage so you can actually use them now. Foes is still Foes but works for all types of damage and not just magic anymore. Then you have 3 songs that you cycle through every 30 seconds that each proc off your dot crits in different ways, one of them replaces river of blood as your bloodletter/rain of death reset, one is sorta like GL and gradually increases attack speed as you crit, and the third uses your crits to charge up a super attack. Battle Voice is now a cooldown that adds a party buff that's specific to whichever of those three songs you're playing at the time.

IDK entirely how I feel about the changes in general, but at the very least its way more thematically a "bard" job now because you're constantly playing songs.

Foe Requiem also drains MP really harshly now, it's not just something to throw up and forget about it for a minute whenever you have MP. It's a burst tool. It lasts maybe 10 seconds. The songs also give your party members effectively a passive minor crit rate buff, since it should have as close to 100% up time as you can manage. Unfortunantly, you don't get in on that goodness, the Direct Hit increase of Battle Voice, nor the most strange of all, the Troubadour defensive effects. You can give the 7 others in your party 15% more HP, 10% Physical reduction, or 10% Magic reduction depending on what song you have rolling when you use it even though you're left out in the breeze. Bard does however get a version of Convalescence that is targetable to party members, self included, in Nature's Minne.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 22, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thundarr posted:

My interpretation was that it was originally the Ala Mhigan anthem but the Garleans co-opted it when they took over because that is the sort of poo poo conquering empires do to undermine an occupied nation. Then at the end they changed the lyrics again to celebrate the liberation.

This is what I thought too. Ala Mhigo is now a free nation, so it's people can now sing THEIR anthem, and not the bastardized occupiers one.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Anyone with a lore book, is there anything in there about the Keeper of the Entwined Snakes, the hyur in white armor who is always with Kan-E? If you talk to him optionally while tasked with speaking to all the Leaders before unlocking the final MSQ dungeon, he drops some information about himself I found pretty neat. If anyone passed over him and wants to know: He's a former Imperial from Cartenau who Kan-E had spared. It's kinda neat that there are effectively two people close to Eorzean leaders that are former members of the empire, one being a Garlean herself.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Was three, lest you forget about Eline Roaille.

Yeah, but they weren't renounced. They still held allegiance and were an active spy, opposite Lucia. A technicality at best, I know. Still, with a questionable 3 Garleans(that Nero stinger was a bit ominous despite Cids comedic reactions) and a possible influx of former Imperials banding together under the Eorzean Alliance, actually looking forward to Garlemald.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, gear has literally no influence on your stats. It's entirely cosmetic. Every instance of a job you see has the same stats, +/- their pvp traits.

Yep. PVP skill potency can basically just be called "the amount of damage you do." the only RNG element is that damage variance still exists. Auto Attacks are gone, crits don't trigger. Combos don't require resources so you'll never worry about running dry and becoming useless. TP and MP are now just used for abilities and attacks critical to your burst damage as a limiter to prevent spamming them on cooldown.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 22, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm learning that as rdm, you have to be hella careful about using your melee combo on players, because they can just run away into their team blob and your choices are to run into your certain death trying to finish the combo, or bugging out and swallowing the fact that you just spent 75 mana on one hit

For Red Mage pvp additional abilities, I totally recommend Concentration and Safeguard. Stun/silence/bind/heavy immunity for 10s with Concentration, and 25% Mitigation with Safeguard. Pop them when you Corps a Corp and they should still be up when you Displacement. Grab up the ability recasts trait too, its 20% faster cooldown on those. Weave in Flunge between your melee combo hits for the heavy. Can also grab a Paladin friend and ask for shield bash when they see you dive in.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Themage posted:

All of you nerds saying the hw story was better have some real fuckin rose tinted binoculars

I agree that Stormblood has been better than Heavensward storywise, but aside from the regular dungeon boss music, I think it's worse in that regard. I like Thordans theme a lot more than The Royal Manageries as far as base expansion finale battle themes go. Ala Mhigo itself is a trillion times better than the ARF however.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Broil in pvp is the best. :getin:

I really do enjoy that scholar has become the PvP rear end in a top hat. "Hey all of you! Where's your oGCDs? :smug:" being able to shutdown an advancing DPS' burst capability while also hurting them is too rich. Like an incredibly sweet dessert.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

So quick question for those who might know: does the 50/60 dungeon queue pull up dungeons you've unlocked but never run before, or is it just limited to those you've run already, like the old 50 and 60 separate queues?

Because I've got a couple of alts where I've never done any 50 dungeon except the 2.x story ones and only cycling between those could get old fast.

Only Expert and Mentor require their required list of duties to be complete before you can queue them. I tanked a friends Susano, Sirensong, and Shisui on roulette without him previouslt clearing them. I'm pretty sure 50/60 doesn't, because we were queuing roulettes for those as he was finishing 3.5 during early access.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

50/60 doesn't require you to complete all the duties they include to unlock them, but what I'm wondering is if a dungeon I haven't done could come up in those if I queue with other people, or if queuing with me is limiting the pool of dungeons they can get.

Yeah, once it's unlocked, it's available for roulettes outside of Expert and Mentor regardless of clearing. Only those two require clears because you can't even queue for them until you have.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Does PLD's oath gauge have any effect besides fueling Sheltron/that other ability?

Nope. It's pretty much just an artificial limiter on a now massively reduced cooldown Shelltron to prevent you from spamming it every time its off cooldown. Feel like Oath gauges should actually influence your Oaths passively, and give Sword Oath Holy Spirit some kind of Oath Gauge sink effect, opposite it's ability to build oath in Shield. As is, they might as well just remove the gauge and give Shelltron a longer cooldown again.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 23, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think my favorite thing about Bard now is that I can force bad trashcan tanks who refuse to push buttons to use cooldowns between Nature's Minne and Palisade. The former of which only has a 45s cooldown. Spam that poo poo and make healers love you.

Don't forget Troubadour. It's also a defensive cooldown that changes effect based on your current song gauge at use. And it affects everyone! Except yourself, because thats apparently still a thing Bards should have to deal with when using their own skills sometimes. But yeah, Minne owns. Short cooldown Convalescence that is usable on yourself and anyone else in your party.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 24, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Light spoiler for the cs right before the 67 dungeon:
Did I spy Oboro? Did he come outta nowhere?

Nah, it's not Oboro, even though the guy looks very similar to him, you'll see him again later on. I thought it was Oboro as well originally.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

With the new Bard, how exactly do you AoE? You only get bloodletting procs in MB so I assume that's involved somehow, but idk how.

Either DoT up and then Ballad, or Ballad and then DoT Up. The first way ensures more chances at procs during the duration, where as the second allows procs to happen while you're spreading dots. Once you get Bite Mastery, it's a lot easier to maintain since your DoTs last 30 seconds. Either way, keep on Quick Nocking, and after Empyreal Arrow mastery, you can use that to force a reset. Also pop Tactician before you Nock spam to keep your(and other AoEing DPS) TP up. Iron Jaws as needed. After Ballads gone, use Paeon for the up to 16% haste.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 25, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

I wish there was a way to put certain quests on Ignore. Since I returned for Stormblood I have a bunch of 50/60 dungeon unlock quests clogging up the map, and I accepted them and got to the point where the dungeons are unlocked, but I'm probably not going to take the time to do all of them one by one. I could keep them around in my journal just in case I roulette into the right dungeon as I go but then I'm taking up like a third of my quest log with quests I'm basically ignoring.

You can. Click on the button next to the quest until it becomes a No symbol.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Leal posted:

*cough*

Look at the eye for an eye buff

Yeah, astrologians can also extend their own cleric stance and lucid dreamings with Celestial Opposition. It's good.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

currently 37 minutes into this expert roulette queue (position #35!!!) and wondering: what's the best way to level an alt combat job that doesn't involve instances, so I can stay in queues as a DPS? should I take my level 28 Gladiator out to do leves or FATEs or something? or should I just give up on getting Verity until I level it to 70?

FATEs are really it until 50. Maybe get some leve power levels where applicable. Don't forget the Hunting Log either. At 50 you can add in the HW Beast Tribes and the suuuuuuuper low HW Hunts(50, 51, maaaaaybe 52 mobs.) Once you get 51 and your chocobro gets that healing power boost, you should be able to take all the HW hunts with some emergency potions on the tougher 58/59 mobs depending on class and how the RNG of the new hit rate system treats you. All the HW hunts total about 300k + kill experience at that point and scales up to half a mil at 59 where it stops. Vath and Vanu quests are roughly 300k all together at 50 with maximum experience bonus via reputation, and scale up to 600k at 59.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 27, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Vil posted:

While you still probably won't get max when solo, you can reasonably often get the 60% reward instead of the 10% reward by going as a tank. Contribution depends on threat.

Also, regardless of reward tier, theres always the chance of getting a cracked cluster for materia 6. Definitely hit up SB hunts regardless of your level if they're within reach of you.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

5% persistent damage to the absolute lowest DPS (as Bard and Machinist were hit even harder potency-wise)

Bard and Machinist may have lost a lot of potency, but I also want to point out bows and guns now have weapon damage parity with everyone else and auto attacks are up full time again. It's no longer a situation where they need the raw potency on their skills and a damage buffing stance, that turned off auto attacks, to make up for having 2/3s the WD.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 27, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

This is true, but they're still bottom of the barrel in actual DPS, too. To a certain degree that's intentional--you can figure out what S-E wants their DPS to look like compared to other jobs using the SSS dummies' HP values--but it's definitely worth noting. (And MCH is underperforming where it's supposed to be, I think--it should be higher than BRD, going by the apparent design intention, but it's actually lower right now.)

Obviously they're helped a bit by being the jobs most able to do DPS on the move, and also because they both provide really desirable utility (more so for BRD than MCH, but they do both have Tactician and Refresh).

Yeah, I just mean it has way more to do with missing Hawk's Eye and Blood for Blood, and Raging Strikes being a shadow of it's former self, than it does their potency. Burst is way, way down. Their sustain is actually pretty decent now though.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Materia is thrown at you like candy in the new expansion (V materia at least) and money can be gotten anywhere. You only have one choice.

I have to say, of all my favorite ways they made materia super accessible, it's making materia just being random enemy drops from dungeon trash in the 70 dungeons.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I still can't make up my mind between leveling PLD and DRK on the side first. Even flipping a coin doesn't work because I just change my mind 20 minutes later.

At this rate I'm gonna level them both to 70 at the same time then abandon them both :suicide:

Paladin flows incredibly well now, but it's still really basic. FoF Goring Blade, Circle of Scorn, then Royal Authority until Goring Blade is approaching 6~seconds, reapply Goring Blade and hit Requiescat on your last second of FoF, move in to Holy Spirit spam.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a couple of pages back, but I wanted to respond because of how I do things different and what I've gathered talking to people. Basically you wanna requiescat first instead of FoF first since it's your biggest burst damage. If I'm MT I'll open with one rage combo, req, holy spirit spam, then FoF and straight into DPS combos to rebuild mana for the next req. Aggro is not an issue so there's no need to FoF on open, plus this takes advantage of all the pull time buffs with your max dps burst. If I'm OT, I start immediately with req, holy spirit spam, then FoF and dps combos.

A whole FoF rotation is 5160 potency over 10 GCDs with Requiescat after the final GCD, which should be Glory Blade. Shield swipes excluded but assuming full potency on Spirits Within, and without slashing debuffs. This is also not taking in to account the potency of Sword Oath for OT or when you have the enmity lead. Theres also the 400 potency on your initial fast and riot blade before popping FoF.

Holy Spirit spam is 350 potency on the Requiescat, then 516 per GCD as well, unaffected by Slashing debuffs completely, but you're also missing out the FoF boost on Requiescat and you also don't auto attack during casting. Latency can also cause clipping trying to use ogcds here, which could end up with your final Holy Spirit not being buffed.

It's basically the same potency/GCD in the end, but you lose a bit with a FoFless Requiescat. Alone or in a party without slashing debuffs, yeah, starting off with Holy Spirit might be mechanically better. But with them, FoF definitelt edges ahead.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 28, 2017