Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Bright blue eyes might be Mide's base color without her darker blue/purple Limbal rings.

Best image I could quickly find on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Is Menagerie Attack Tidal Wave used anywhere else in the game? Like, what a dick skill to start with there.

It's called that, but it's effectively both that and Leviathan's Body Slam. The fight cycles through a lot of the big attacks that the Primals have but a few of them have a couple new features. Tidal Wave has Body Slams mechanic linked to it. Hellfire gives Burns. Aerial Blast is a tornado that has the opposite effect of the Dusk Vigil Griffin's tornado to knock you off the arena, before it does its big damage. Tidal Wave only shows up once though.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Apparently you want to delay Fight or Flight until right before your first Goring Blade so you can fit in two Goring's and get Requiescat off right at the last second of the buff. Other than that though it's pretty much spot on.

Yep, if you FoF first, you're missing that last Goring and Requiescat for just 100 more total potency on the first Fast and Riot Blade. Together, not each. Too much of a sacrifice when you consider a FoF Goring Blade alone is worth an additional 167.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah the only real bottlenecks in Sastasha are Chopper, and only cause you cant use the coral and switch while being attacked, and the guy behind the locked door you need the key from to unlock the other door. The other two fights with Madison, you can just burn him down and leave his trash alive while you pull the whole next section, even up to the final boss in the last part.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

On Susano Ex, during the shuffling cup rock breakers, is it always the 4th rock on the emnity list? In each of my 24 clears we've just mass targetted the fourth and it's always worked, but I'm being told otherwise now. Early rumour and just lucky, or is that how it works?

I actually just had a run where it wasn't the fourth, and nobody through up a sign until it was half way dead.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Frankly I've never bothered with Awareness. Does it have any actual impact in serious for-real fights?

It was useful in Diabolos Hollow, since he opens the fight in a stoneskin that gives him 100% crit rate while it's up, and that made Awareness provide a huge amount of mitigation. So far in SB, doesn't seem like it's as useful as Reprisal.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Xaela have a better pvp mode than players do. Naadam pvp map when?

Naadam is pretty much just a single point seize map, where capture is finality. Ultimately I think that would be awful as a frontlines type, as is.

I do think they need to move away from modes that include PvE elements though, because it breeds this weird mentality among people where they don't need to PvP in PvP to be useful, when Fisters scoreboard the other night shows exactly how opposite the reality is.

I've actually come to like Seize a lot now, the removal of field effect AoEs in PvP has done wonders for that mode. But it definitely does drag along really long. Since we've had an OF confirmation that we will be getting another Seize map, I do hope they revisit the mechanics of the mode to make it a bit faster.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Doesn't list a weekly cap for yellow crafter/gatherer scrips?
* Yellow crafters’ and gatherers’ scrip can be obtained upon reaching level 70. Players can obtain up to a maximum of 2,000 scrips. These scrips may be converted to Rowena’s tokens and exchanged for crafter and gatherer items at the Rhalgr’s Reach scrip exchange (X:9.9 Y:12.5).

There isn't one, they already made this clear previously.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Truga posted:

won't that be 7 weeks in though?

Unless you're clearing Omega Savage Deltascape 3 fast enough and win the lot, yes. Otherwise it's just the two weeks until that comes out + progression time, in which case you don't need the normal token.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I'm holding out hope that they've at least increased the amount of tokens to 8 at the end of a instance. :sigh:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Truga posted:

Well O1 is kinda boring mechanically, and 2 is a bit better, but 3 and 4 are pretty good poo poo. Apart from O1, fights are better than alexander, even if the backdrop is super whatever. "Hey fight these random simulations to prove you're stronk." I know, MMO stories, but FF14 at least pretended to try.

Also there's no fight where I get to spam flare forever like in A2? What the gently caress yoship? Is this why you gave us foul and quad flares? Come on.

Omega V.3 is definitely my favorite of this crop. Such a delightful phase shift.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ramadu posted:

This is terrible news

Well, Cao is kind of wrong. There's an underwater village, but there's also an underwater city which is a sidequest dungeon from the village. The trailer shows off the city, because the village definitely does not have the giant buildings that are represented there. So yes, there is a sort-of Atlantis.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Obligatum VII posted:

Does anyone have any cliff notes for snake lady (Extreme)? I'm finally pursuing the Ex primals. Rather late to the game, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. Just a quick rundown of the abilities so I'm not utterly blind would do, I can figure out how to deal with them readily enough on my own if needed.

The big thing here is managing your raid item when she uses Divine abilities and Chanchalla. Chanchalla makes everything she does hit harder, but the item negates that.

Divine Desire is a draw in to a bleed pool, item reduces how far you move. Divine Doubt is a confuse that makes you target the nearest player, generally spread out and pair in twos to eliminate someone getting beat down by a lot of the party, item reduces duration. There's also the knockback one from Normal.

You'll want to use it for some of her non-center attacks as well. Stortam does a lot of raid damage when she's in Chanchalla.

DPS: you can generally play fast and loose with the item mechanic. You can pretty much use it after every Chanchalla. Position your markers accordingly so that nobody is being overlapped by two of the lines at the same time.

OT: The easiest role in this fight. Just stand off to the side nobody else is on for your blue marker cone telegraph. Use the Vril for the blue marker in Chanchalla. Stack when needed.

MT: Snooze through this as well, Pull of Light is your tankbuster. Mitigate and Vril as needed.

Healer: Take your circle aoe markers to the back, they spawn bleed puddles under you. During Chanchalla, these expand two or three times, covering half the arena.

During phase two, burn adds low but don't kill. The adds play keep away with your item recharge bubble. You want to kill them while they have the bubble to replenish your parties charges. Red markers are a targeted AoE, just move away from your party. Use it for the ultimate like in normal.

Uhh I can't remember much else. It's really easy.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 5, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Hey everyone stupid question incoming.

I'm currently level 54 and I'm wondering if im better off wearing ironworks gear until 70 or constantly upgrading my gear with quest rewards.

Yeah do yourself a favor and take the upgrades, especially since it's your first time through. I'll be the first to admit that on subsequent jobs I slacked and carried myself along with Ironworks through the 50s, when I didn't have dungeon equipment I've won lots on. Some jobs straight to 60 with no upgrades. You just don't really need the gear if you're specifically leveling additional jobs through daily hunts, beast tribes, msq roulette, and palace of the dead. The other roulettes I never used for leveling since I was taking the tomestones and selling crafting materials.

But since you have quests and story dungeons that need completing, you'll want to have the character strength to make it as painless as possible.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Shy posted:

I mean, it's VI. They added +12 elemental resistance for stormblood! I wonder if there's a savage encounter where ultra-tryhard raiders cheat the system by negating a ton of damage.

Speaking of. What can I meld on WHM gear? I want spell speed on everything but can't, for example omega earrings won't let me because it already has spell speed. Critical strike maybe?

Take all your Elemental and Attribute Materia to Mutamix at The Bonfire in Central Thanalan, you can transmute 5 materia in to a random new one. And if you're using all of the same tier, there's a not insignificant chance of the new materia being a tier higher. I made a fortune off this when Materia V was introduced(I was also seeding the materia with Culinarian desynth which finally proved useful,) and my buddy did it for VI before expert roulettes and hunts started bringing prices down.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 6, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Speaking of rank VI materia, has anyone crunched the numbers and figured out if it's better to meld critical hit or direct hit when given the choice?

I'm not sure if the numbers or even the idea behind it are accurate, so take it for what it is, but I read a reddit post that roughly 3000 crit is the point where crit outweighs a similar amount of direct hit. Crit still affects both rate and potency, where as direct hit only affects rate and is a static 25% increase in potency. The overall theoretical effective differences were said to be incredibly small beforehand though.

However if you're a job with important crit mechanics, like Bard and Monk, Crit is always superior.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 6, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Renegret posted:

pubbies.txt

I'm Ravana, just coming up with an excuse to not be in the same room as that guy any longer.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

On a completely different note, I have a question for anyone who plays a bard -

How do you have your hotbars set up? My wife plays a bard and is trying to get her abilities set up on her hotbars and can't find a way that makes it feel natural for her. I've never played bard and can't really give advice on that but I'd love to see how other bards set up their hotbars.

Unless I'm brainfarting my ability names:

Bar 1 1-5 Heavy/Bloodletter/Straight/Storm/Caustic, M3 Repelling, M4 Stun/Silence/Invigorate, M5 Empyreal Arrow, Keybound Mouse side button Refulgent Arrow
Bar 2 CTRL-1-4 Iron Jaws, Peloton/Second Wind, Refresh, Tactician, CTRL-M4 Palisade, CTRL-M5 Wardens, CTRL-Mouse side button Minne
Bar 3 Shift-1-5 Sidewinder/Pitch Perfect/Barrage/Raging/Battle Voice, Shift-M3 Troubadour, Shift-M4 Quick Nock, Shift-M5 Rain of Death, Shift-Mouse side button Limit Break
Bar 4 Alt-1-4 Foe Requiem/Minuet/Paeon/Ballad

I use Keypad 1 for my keybound mouse button.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

So are all these blue scrip tokens I have going to just rot in my inventory forever or is there a way to turn them into red scrip tokens? (I know you can turn actual blue scrips into red scrips).

Yeah tokens are just pointless hold overs right now as far as I can tell.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

If I don't want to spend 2 million on a bunch of Halgai Mane and Manzasiri Hair, is my best bet to just wait on my retainers to level up?

Even after your retainers are leveled, if you've got the time it'll still be faster to just farm them. Retainers will start off getting 10 per hour I think.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

That's exactly what we're talking about with EXDR: adding more incentives for tanks and healers to do EXDR more than once per day so that DPS queues are shorter.

There's already incentive for queueing the 70 dungeons though. Materia V and VI are trash mob drops. You can then take all the crappy Vs and turn them in to a few VIs. You can also try and turn your crappy VIs in to Gathering and Crafting VIs to sell. They also added the new mount to the story level 70 dungeon and the others have sellable minions.

If people are going bonkers over a single cluster for Leveling while demanding more for Expert, I'm at a loss of what to say. Maybe optics are the issue, and people aren't realizing how good the expert dungeons are for materia alone, since it's entirely passive with no notice?

Skaw fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 7, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

The nice thing about the cluster is that you get to choose exactly what you want to get with it. The last couple runs of 70 dungeons I've done (40 minute queue times on DPS woooo) have given me nothing but an ever-growing ocean of Dexterity, Mind, and other useless garbage T6 materia. It's pure coincidence that I'm leveling tank right now, but the cluster from leveling roulette is a very welcome thing.

Plus, the rates at which you convert 5's to 6's are horseshit. Something like 20% I think I read? 25 T5's for a completely random T6 is not a great exchange rate.

Grab a Tank or Healer to queue with you. Expert dungeons are going to clear faster than leveling, and that time will continue to decrease. Temples already doable in like 7 pulls if your tank and healer know their stuff. Consider that the trade-off of the clusters guaranteed choice I suppose. Also just because the chance is low doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If you just want to continue collecting useless attribute materia and not do anything with it then :shrug: The shot at Crafting and Gathering materia alone is worth throwing that junk out.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 7, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

dogsicle posted:

e: Also as a BRD, I can tell you the job really falls into some boring periods in its rotation, while I get the impression MCH is much more lively on top of having sicknasty animations like backflips.

Yeah, Ballad on Single Target is pretty drat boring. It's not like it's useless by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely the least interesting if you've ever played bard pre-4.0 and experienced River of Blood procs. Paeon at least means more opportunities for Refulgent Arrow, on top of your GCD DPS ramping up 16%. Ballad is easily the 20-30 seconds of song rotation I'm not too hot on outside of AoE, really don't care if it's River of Blood But Better. Minuet doesn't have that problem despite being the best Single Target song, since Pitch Perfect in AoE still feels really good, especially when it hits the point where you've always got 3 Repetoire and are waiting on PP itself to come off cooldown.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 8, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Wow, Dusk Vigil is a fast solo already in undersized party for 51-59 Dungeons in Woundrous Tails. 315 Bard, pulling 9~ minutes. Elephant loving sucks to fight though. You get stunned twice in a row.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 8, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you talking about the experience food buff or just what food to give it in the stable? Any hourly food you can give them in the stable is going to give the same exp. Then there are the special foods. You can feed your bo the special foods when you have it summoned to give it a buff. Feed 10 of the food in the stable to get a double buff when you feed it outside. I use slykis bud (attack up) personally. The experience up food is Curiel Root.

It should be worth noting that Curiel Root only affects experience gains through combat, after you summon your chocobo and use one. It doesn't affect Challenge Log or Feeding yields, which are going to be the bulk of your gains by far. Curiel Root is also still gardening exclusive, where as every other buff food can be bought through the Vath shop at pretty inexpensive prices.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Solitair posted:

What is in the armor coffers you now get as a reward for the DRK 50, MCH 50 and AST 50 quests? I did all the 50 quests before SB came out, so I'll never find out for myself.

If I had to guess, based on Red Mage and Samurai coffers, you probably get upgraded soldiery weapons and a few bits of armor.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Lant posted:

Unless you just poped both Shroud & Aetherflow right before you died it should be real easy to recover mana and get your fairy out ASAP.

There are also 5 DPS jobs that can restore MP to you in the event that you bite it or run low, 3 in bulk, 2 over time. A couple might whine about it but if you're truly having issues, it's better than the alternative of just not clearing.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

UHD posted:

Lamia too.

For a good long while I had the amazing ability to cast while moving and everything cost 0 mana, with the unfortunate downside that my spells did fuckall. Also casting a spell would interrupt itself.

Still got all the XP and a sweet coat though. Thanks, rando dungeon team!

Only like half of Lamia broke though. Me and a couple others in our party weren't having issues after we got out of Susano during it, but one of the Red Mages just wasn't getting Dual Cast procs even though his spells were going off just fine.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

It's telling you how many seconds into the cast the fish bites, so you can ignore any tugs that happen too early or too late. Depending on the fish, it's slightly or much faster to let fish escape than reel them in.

Yeah, if you read my big dumb fishing post in the HW thread, it's just a visual indicator of that.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

pray for my aunt posted:

Isn't it only refresh effects that get eaten by Astral/Darkside?

Yeah. Direct influences on MP, like Ethers, are fine. And it's not that Astral blocks Refresh. It just kills your natural regeneration which is so much stronger than Refresh. Unless it's a new 4.0 thing I'm not aware of.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

vOv posted:

I've tested it and refresh just doesn't do anything in AF.

Huh. Weird.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Does anyone remember if tomes of folklore for gathering in hw had items added over time or if they always had more than the one per book they seem to have in sb? I assume the stuff there is to gather will become more valuable when they add the crafting recipes, but one item per book is still pretty unexciting.

Items were added.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

I presume at the point of having x crit the weight for each stat changes. Takes around a 100 for det to increase dps by 1% I believe.

E: Also if you are a bard you probably always want crit anyway due to procs being a big part of current bard gameplay

Yeah. If you have any important crit based mechanics, Crit is pretty much the go to no matter what so that your chance% rates climb.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Anyone who has done Lost Canals already, whats the materia rewards like?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Can anyone explain this bit? is this how Alex Savage worked?

Is there a way to tell how many people have cleared it? Does it count anyone who cleared for token, or people who have gotten a coffer?

It is how it worked for Alex. Reduced coffers if playing with people who already cleared for the week. If you cleared at all, regardless if you won a coffer drop or not, you were inelligible to roll on another groups drop for the week if one is available.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

VHGS posted:

Even if taking ice was how you got 90% of your points, attacking the enemy team would be really good, because dead dudes can't get objectives.

The worst is that ice takes reduced damage from magic. If you're a mage, you should REALLY be hitting another teams healers hard during ice skirmishes. Build up for your burst on ice if you must, but never use it on ice if theres someone around you can just smite out of existence. Mage LBs perfectly centered on ice also make me extremely salty. At least position it so the ice just gets clipped, but aim for the masses of one team.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Can we all at least agree that the bases are almost irrelevant?

No. Bases are pretty relevant. Not necessarily in the terms of their point generation, but if a small contingency of opposing players are around your base, your teams respawning players are being routed through longer paths(meaning less players at the larger battles so your side just gets ground in to meat) or eating deaths by marching single file through your captured base if not just flat out spawn camped. And the inverse is true, if you get a few people to capture a base you can mulch those single files for your own point gains.

They don't require the whole alliance to abandon the front to recapture though, and the small ice around the base doesn't need more than a few people beating on them either if they spawn later.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 25, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Gearhead posted:

I know right?

The stuff I've circled are areas we didn't go to at ALL in 4.0 that were uncovered when we left for Othard. Technically there's a bit west of Doma proper we didn't visit that is More Doma and some more of the Steppes we didn't go to that is More Steppes.

And then, over in the west, we can now see Sharlayan and the home islands of the Sea Wolves.

It's a bit ambitious of a thought, but I get the feeling the rest of Othard and, especially, Koshu might become available with the 4.1+ content. The Four Symbols are ripe for being the remaining Kami/Primals. Old Sharlayan and Thavnair/Radz-at-Han are likely just uncovered because we have a lot of in-game lore available now about these places thanks to various quests like relics/anima and the Astrologian lines.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 26, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

TheRagamuffin posted:

Did they patch out the "optimal range" whatever stuff, for ranged dps?

Yeah. The downside to playing ranged DPS now is that you're squishier than anyone else due to the HP tiering.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Any other savage bard players here? Trying to optimize my damage due to my group not doing the best.

What do you need to know? Also list your party comp because that'll help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Bard, Samurai Summoner and Dragoon for DPS
Scholar and Ast
Warrior and Dark Knight

Well I'm just trying to figure out a way to deal more dps now rather than worry about my teammates. Dealing about 3.2k on alte at ilvl 316 and we are often struggling to get by it unless we do a perfect run. Been starting off with Foes Requiem, straight shot, blood letter followed by raging strikes, the dots then Wanderers.

My opener is probably far from optimal I believe, but I infusion at 4(if you're using them,) Foe Req at 2, Refresh, Stormbite should be at Pull, Bloodletter and Raging, Caustic Bite, Minuet and Empyreal, Straight Shot, Sidewinder and Battle Voice, Iron Jaws, then fish for the Refulgent to Barrage before Raging Strikes is up while slamming Pitch Perfect, Iron Jaws to refresh Raging Strikes DoTs on the last GCD possible, use Barrage on the next available Empyreal if the Refulgent dream is dead. Always save Raging for Minuet. Try and line a Foe Requiem and Battle Voice up with party buffs. During Ballad, use your Empyreal to refresh a recently used Bloodletter, so you can throw out two of them over 2 GCDs. Never sit on Barrage waiting for a Refulgent, and only delay a Refulgent if Barrage is coming up really soon, like less than 8 seconds and Straight Shot isn't going to fall off in the mean time. Always use that Barrage as soon as possible on an Empyreal if you can't line a clean Refulgent up for it. If the choice is Straighter Shot or Refulgent, and Straight Shot has worn off, use Refulgent unless your DoTs are at risk of being snapshot without Straight Shot up.

The easiest way to keep squeezing out more DPS is always resnapshotting DoTs when buffs/debuffs go out and before they fall off. Considering you have both Scholar and Dragoon, if Litany and Strategem are both up, you can try using Pitch Perfect at 2 rep instead of 3 and seeing how that goes for you. My group has neither so I can't play with that tactic.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 26, 2017