Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

If their only concern was to make tanks do bad damage they'd give them low potency on their attacks

Yeah, but then they'd still have the problem of tanks wanting to sacrificing defense for offense. Their solution is to completely remove the option. They want tanks to only wear vit jewelry, because it causes too many problems if tanks can wear str. But even with the change, you'll still have tanks downgrading jewelry (and thus losing HP) if the lower item substats are better. And we'll be back to pentamelded crafted accs being BIS for an entire raid cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Probably an old joke by now, but spotted this in shatter

e: what's with the horrific avatars in here? I rarely post since this thread is terrible and lol

POLICE CAR AUCTION fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 4, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ilifinicus posted:

they don't want tanks to do more damage than DPS jobs

which they easily can do now if the dps player is a moron

I was doing about 50% more aoe dps and 10% more single target (in shield oath!!!) than a SMN in the last Shisui I did tonight, it made me want to cry

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/33efbf65a7c6b86b3c62816b7a75523012584b54

Patch notes up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Things of note:

Omega: Average item level 295 or above

Omega uses the Alex token system. (WHY?!)

Class/Job EXP gained from participating in PvP encounters has been adjusted to take match durations into account.
Victories and losses will now award different amounts of EXP.

Doesn't list a weekly cap for yellow crafter/gatherer scrips?
* Yellow crafters’ and gatherers’ scrip can be obtained upon reaching level 70. Players can obtain up to a maximum of 2,000 scrips. These scrips may be converted to Rowena’s tokens and exchanged for crafter and gatherer items at the Rhalgr’s Reach scrip exchange (X:9.9 Y:12.5).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
betting they don't touch win exp so frontlines are effectively 70-60% worse, depending on your faction

then again, the other change might make feast viable. when the hell is season 5 starting so I can play 4v4!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Those are some freaky looking screenshots for what is ostensibly the inside of an allagan spider. And they call each floor a "version". Wonder what that means.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sick, troubadour now actually affects yourself

and an old-school magitek mount

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

waaaaant

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

Class/Job EXP gained from participating in PvP encounters has been adjusted to take match durations into account.

The gravy train may have ended.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. :ughh:

Mordiceius posted:

Hope you didn't want DPS queues to be shorter!

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Good thing I hit 70 on my dps class last night.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

On Omega:
* Reward eligibility will be reset every Tuesday at 1:00 a.m. (PDT).

I had wondered if the reset would happen at 8am like so many other things, allowing for a bonus clear this first day of Omega. Looks like it's not the case. So it looks like there's no way servers come up before 1am.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well, PvP was fun while it lasted. Tanks still have to use str accessories, but PvP gets the axe?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Are you surprised it uses the same token setup, or specifically that it still uses bolts/chains/sprockets/etc?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/33efbf65a7c6b86b3c62816b7a75523012584b54

Thoughts:

"I'm coming for your i270 STR accessories, Fister Roboto."

-YoshiP

- i295 for Omega story is fine, it's not going to be challenging either way.
- More enmity gen for tanks is always welcome (especially considering SE's desire to gut their damage).
- Omega normal continuing to use Alex's loot system was to be expected, it's pretty much where they'd like it to be for the story stuff. Savage will always drop something usable by someone in the party IIRC?
- I hope that PVP xp change means 72 man PVP will give more XP than it has been. Secure better give a bunch because holy poo poo it's boring (and long) compared to shatter. If it gives a lot less that'd be dumb as hell because PVP isn't nearly as fast as dungeon farming or a FATE train.
- FF6-style magitek armor mount hell yeah

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

nuru posted:

Are you surprised it uses the same token setup, or specifically that it still uses bolts/chains/sprockets/etc?

That it's the same (bad) system with seemingly no changes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Those are some freaky looking screenshots for what is ostensibly the inside of an allagan spider. And they call each floor a "version". Wonder what that means.

I remember seeing other previews of it where you see the castle in the blue void from FF5, but I can't remember where from.

In looking back though, I looked at Eorzea Collection 2017 again and uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JbUQWCxqCA&t=26s

Did we ever figure out where these new(?) Grand Company outfits come from? That Mael jacket makes me wanna switch. They don't look like the old hunt gear at all.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

That jacket has been in the game for a while now from the GC.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

The gravy train may have ended.

If they're smart (lol) then the current XP reward will be what you get for 3rd place, providing an additional incentive to winning.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If the Omega upgrade items drop in the exact same order that they did for Alexander, you can follow these guides for how you should plan out gear:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/54khen/alexander_the_creator_weekly_loot_order/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

If they're smart (lol) then the current XP reward will be what you get for 3rd place, providing an additional incentive to winning.

You know in your heart what such optimism brings.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Evil Fluffy posted:

- More enmity gen for tanks is always welcome (especially considering SE's desire to gut their damage).

It's an especially nice bump for low level tanks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Minrad posted:

I remember seeing other previews of it where you see the castle in the blue void from FF5, but I can't remember where from.

In looking back though, I looked at Eorzea Collection 2017 again and uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JbUQWCxqCA&t=26s

Did we ever figure out where these new(?) Grand Company outfits come from? That Mael jacket makes me wanna switch. They don't look like the old hunt gear at all.

Those are the First Lieutennant Jackets and hats it looks like.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He can pry them from my cold, dead fists.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Those are the First Lieutennant Jackets and hats it looks like.

Ah yeah, they were added back in 3.4 and I guess I missed it. Neato

Guess I need to go back and start doing adventurer squadrons again :negative:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

An issue wherein the scholar action Fey Union would always restore critical HP under certain conditions.

Fey Union being good was good while it lasted.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the floors of Omega are called "versions" because each corresponds to a different version of FFXIV, so in v1.0 your UI actions will be handled serverside, in v2.0 warriors won't have any defensive cooldowns, etc.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

That is a very good question.

Devs? Yoshi? Anyone who actually works on the game?

Spitballing: To maintain a uniform stat budget across all jobs in the game?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Spitballing: To maintain a uniform stat budget across jobs?

That's absolutely how equipment works because that's how you build your anima weapon (and zodiac weapon).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't expect yellow scrips until savage released. Glad I finished leveling alch this morning. Also, lol, aoe aggro got increased again.

Mordiceius posted:

Because it's a far better system than entirely random loot while still ensuring people run it more than once per week.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

* Yellow crafters’ and gatherers’ scrip can be obtained upon reaching level 70. Players can obtain up to a maximum of 2,000 scrips. These scrips may be converted to Rowena’s tokens and exchanged for crafter and gatherer items at the Rhalgr’s Reach scrip exchange (X:9.9 Y:12.5).

I have heard second-hand that there won't be any weekly-capped crafter/gatherer currency this time around because SE didn't think it worked out well in 3.x.

I expected yellow scrips in .05, only Crafter I'm going to have at 70 in the immediate future is Culinarian... oh well, more incentive to get the rest up asap I guess.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Countblanc posted:

the floors of Omega are called "versions" because each corresponds to a different version of FFXIV, so in v1.0 your UI actions will be handled serverside, in v2.0 warriors won't have any defensive cooldowns, etc.

I figured they corresponded with different numbered Final Fantasy games. So in the first one, if someone kills an enemy and you're still waiting for your action to go off on the enemy, you'll still have to activate that action before being able to attack something else.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
"An issue wherein the scholar action Fey Union would always restore critical HP under certain conditions."

lol

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

There isn't one, they already made this clear previously.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Magil Zeal posted:

I have heard second-hand that there won't be any weekly-capped crafter/gatherer currency this time around because SE didn't think it worked out well in 3.x.

Yeah, that's what I heard too. It's a good change tbh.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Obligatum VII posted:

What is your pull combo, out of curiosity?

When I was levelling PLD to 70 I was finding that hammering out a goring blade and then two halone combos in shield stance was generally lasting me nearly through the fight, although it did become a bit iffy towards the end and I had to sometimes work in additional halones. I'm heavily considering using fight or flight on the opening aggro salvo to make it more secure. Anyways, I figure a point of comparison may be helpful in refining my approach.

Definitely use your Fight or Flight / Berserk / Blood Weapon in your pull combo, fitting your enmity generators into its duration however possible. It's very good for mitigating the damage loss from your tank stance, and the harder you hit, the more aggro you get - and this stacks with the enmity modifiers just from being in tank stance. A good combo (and your co-tank bringing Shirk for tank swaps - yell at them to do this!) means you can potentially spend the rest of the fight without needing your tank stance again.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 4, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Skaw posted:

There isn't one, they already made this clear previously.

Dope as hell.

The weekly caps is what turned me off from crafting/gathering in the 3.x cycle. Plus the first tier of gear being a unique set for each class and there was no possible way to get all that gear with the caps in place.

Now I just need to finish off leveling them. Have all my gatherers at 70, just need to get all my crafters from 68 to 70, which I should be able to knock out tomorrow.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bloodspiller got a 20 potency buff which means TBN is now always a DPS increase. Also, "Attributes have been adjusted for certain gear." Is it too much to hope that that's adding strength to tank accessories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Bloodspiller got a 20 potency buff which means TBN is now always a DPS increase. Also, "Attributes have been adjusted for certain gear." Is it too much to hope that that's adding strength to tank accessories?

That is probably a bit much to hope for, yes.