Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaubocks posted:

tfw you join a farm party and you ask the other tank what strats they want to use but they don't say a word so you go "ok i guess you're pretty confident then guess we'll just roll with whatever" and then they die constantly

:thumbsup:

i still don't have any dogs :smith:

not that i'm trying especially hard, i guess, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Then:

Now:

Later:

Beyond?:

except for the giraffe thing, you're basically me

currently femroe, been lalafell (and i kinda wanna fantasia again right now, not gonna lie), and I wanna be lionboy when SB launches

the problem is lalafell look dumb in plate/with big weapons and I've yet to be convinced otherwise, much as i love the blighters :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Towards the end of Heavensward I asked for yearbook photos of everyone's characters, and I'm doing the same again! Post a nice picture of your character for the thread, and if you took it and still have it, your picture from Heavensward!

pretty sure i don't have a HW picture but have one for SB anyway

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 21, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Drizvolta posted:

I just wanted to say I appreciate that the tanks in this thread have contributed so heavily to meltdown may

i know i'm going to regret taking the bait, but what's meltdown may

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sorry WAR, you were fun, but DRK is stealing the show for me this time *hangs up axe, retrieves sword, hi-fives Fray*

Pretty much between it, GNB and MCH for launch at this point, I think.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Leal posted:

I hope Fray has an animation when you summon them and the boss leaps out of the arena or does some other invincibility bullshit where they just /facepalm.

make it their idle animation imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As a tank Protect (or at least a stutter step) is my signal that the healer is aware and ready to follow me into the abyss at the start of a dungeon (if you assume simply being in the Duty implies readiness then lol)

I wonder if it'll get a replacement in that sense

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blast of Confetti posted:

yeah, it's nice to have a sec to summon fairy and aetherflow then using protect before the tank runs dick first in to stuff but a buff that every healer has that pretty much only gets used at the start of the dungeon isnt exactly what id consider worth keeping since you can just tone everything down a few percent points and have nothing change and I can accomplish the same thing by having /ready on my crossbar

oh sure totally agreed

i can just imagine all the "what are you waiting for?" "protect" "there's no protect anymore ya knob, get your dick in those trash mobs" in the future though, lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah it's one of those weird things that never quite made sense to me. It's like... Edgar shoots this whisk-looking thing from what looks like a cross between a fishing reel and a faucet, it knocks the enemy back, and gives them a totally unique status effect that works like FF9's Heat. :shrug:

Kid me rationalized this as a heavy spiked/barbed net. Imagine being basically draped in barbed wire. Yeah I'd wanna die if I made any movements too :gonk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what kind of loving coward plays a job with backflips then doesn't use em

show yourselves so i can backflip you into a locker

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

oh hey i didn't know you wrote the warrior job quests

oh come on, 70 was good, admit it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I feel like I'm going to want to play at least a little of the upcoming event, but the hype machine churning in my mind won't let me play WAR anymore--even though MCH and DRK aren't changed yet and GNB doesn't technically exist :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tbh i still wanna keep trying to farm at least one dog before the event starts

don't have even one :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

i cannot believe nobody warned me about this until now

i am livid

to be fair your description of the writing in the 70 quest reminded me that it actually sucked

but, well, the fight was funny

so

v:shobon:v

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So current thinking is that GBN is going to be as action heavy as current DRK?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Monathin posted:

Honestly as an idiot tank i dont ever expect anyone to help me when im dying except the healer (and sometikes not even then :argh:) so if the Bard used Palisade or something during the tankbuster I know where my commend is going.

Honestly if I see any BRD or MCH buffs at all they get an autocommend nowadays

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Maru makes a robot so is obviously a MCH. Abigail likes swords and darkness so can be a DRK. Penny's a nerd/SCH. Shane's a drunk so probably heals. You could probably class everyone in the village.

Challenge question: Pam

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saigyouji posted:

Except we can directly compare Art of War and Miasma II to see how potencies are going to work out, since they're functionally the same. (Miasma II is in most cases a 100 potency spell since you never let the DoT tick. It's 200 potency on ST because it's only used for weaving there. AoW is a flat 150.)

we're saying that a patch 4.57 150pot != patch 5.0 150pot so don't bother with the maths, near as i can tell

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

Not just 20% dr but also a boost to the health and damage increases of vitality and strength respectively.

But also probably-RIP hilarious Warrior HP levels, so overall the whole expansion is a net negative imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i thought dark arts was going away

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wow, uh, good thing i never liked playing healers anyway

their damage gameplay getting the ax means either they're gonna be dull as dishwater, or we're going into Triage Healing gameplay like WoW (in order to necessitate the healer spending all their time healing), which... yeah, my anxiety's on fire :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In less doom and gloom, I listened to DrakGamestein's yoship interview and, uh

is that a :getin: or a :ohno:, i have no idea, but either way i'm terrified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWSAoZNKJ8&t=892s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I have distinct memories of this same cycle happening the past two expansions and yet somehow the only job that was in the dumpster was MCH.

past two expansions? hell, this is typical for any internet hype machine ever

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sleng Teng posted:

Thanks everyone! I think I just need to be a little more patient instead of trying to change everything at once and getting overwhelmed.

Unfortunately I have no low level jobs so I think several sessions of dungeon spam is my best bet. Hopefully getting used to controller on one job will lend itself on others

yep adapting to controller is purely a question of time, practice, and dumb pratfalls in dungeons, I'm afraid

that said IMO controller > keyboard once you learn it, but that's just one dork's opinion

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my gut instinct is that i like the idea of all of MCH's bag of tricks not quite lining up evenly, though I'm oddly not sure why

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

just ignore the scoreboard that tells you what level all your classes are

that's impossible u know this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vermain posted:

What I think you're seeing from the healer changes is a problem of the fundamental design issue that healers have: they're the only role out of the combat classes that does not have DPS as an intrinsic part of their role. With the final removal of Flash, tanks must DPS to hold enmity, and DPS classes must DPS to do anything meaningful at all. Healers don't have to do this, and that creates the kind of stringent dichotomy you're seeing.

There are likely a good number of players - probably, if I hazarded a guess, the majority - who play classes like SCH, WHM, and AST because they like healing and don't want to have to DPS, or they like healing and wouldn't mind DPSing, but are turned off by the difficulty in balancing healing with DPSing. I've been playing this game since 2.3 and have spent the overwhelming majority of it playing healers, and I still have trouble maintaining even AST's single DoT while also scrambling to keep everyone alive in pug groups. If you've been playing for a long time and feel you're effectively an expert at it, it's hard to empathize with someone who can barely keep up - but, more likely than not, that's the situation for most people playing healing jobs.

The result of this is that the dev team is stuck in a corner when it comes to expansion design and rebalancing. If the majority of the people playing healers are playing them to heal, then they're going to love seeing more healing actions that make them better healers. The minority that wants to DPS but finds the pot watching too complex will enjoy seeing a simpler rotation that makes it easier for them to DPS while healing. Meanwhile, the minority that is able to DPS and heal effectively is going to feel bitter because they're seemingly being ignored. Revising healing jobs down to a barebones DPS rotation is meant to try and satisfy the two largest contingents of people playing healers. It's obviously painful for SCH players who preferred keyboard piano rotations, but trying to cater to only a minority of players is unlikely to produce a good outcome moving forwards.

I'd suspect that's what the majority of players see as SCH's identity. Again, I think this is a minority vs. majority situation in much the same way as Eureka was: a lot of people in this thread hated it, but it was clearly well-received overall and likely kept their subscription numbers higher during patch lulls.

In reality, the only way to have a healing job in the future that has a more complex rotation that's baked into the basic gameplay assumptions is to have it as a brand new job and strongly push that as its identity.

I was trying to think of a way to say "as fun as it is I think we and prog savage raiders are the only ones who think honest healing is totally bad" but you pretty much said it, so I'll quote you instead

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I still haven't learned how to play BLM on controller. Maybe I should do that now for this event, especially if it's not changing a hell of a lot for ShB.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

World War Mammories posted:

my goalie is one a'those wall mobs in azim steppe

*noclips through u*

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

World War Mammories posted:

it's pronounce "dee-ah," you simpleton, you buffoon

i have been entirely sober for weeks and i will unironically pontificate upon similar themes. do not test me

sober, blazed, what's the difference, capitalism is poo poo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jokes posted:

There was a 40-person queue to get into this game at 8:00 on a Wednesday.

We're so hosed on launch day.

remember raubahn ex :kheldragar:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mechadestroyer posted:

Honestly, those memories are going to be what ends up causing me to actually alarm clock the expansion release, just in the hopes that if something like that does happen again i'll be able to slip ahead of it and work my way through the game at a relaxed pace.

I expect at this point I just won't be playing around launch week--too many other games on the field atm--so that'll dodge that problem nicely

Plenty of time for that to change though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So I hear that blue mage sucks poo poo, and also can't do group content?
(new to the game, be warned)

it's more of a side activity that happens to be able to sometimes do funny poo poo than a proper class/job, so yes-ish

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this feels like why all of the healer dps is disappearing come shb: we're like the only part of the internet who enjoys that aspect

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

You don’t have to change the character right when you do it? If thats the case I’ll definitely do it before then.

No, you pop it then have to log off naked (except for weapon obv) to be able to right click->change appearance at character select

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glagha posted:

I mean it's petty but isn't that literally reportable? Booting someone because they aren't playing the way you want?

Edit: gently caress why did this have to be new page.

It is reportable, yeah--actionable, idk, but reporting this is encouraged