Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SonicRulez posted:

Susano is really hype. Good music. Cool transition. Good feeling playing him too, because it's actually pretty easy to avoid his poo poo if you keep your head on straight. I love when bosses feel like a test of my reflexes more than any of the other sorts.

It's a drat pubbie smasher though. We wiped like 3 times.

We ended up making no mistakes and had only one death (melee lb3 at a predictably bad moment) so now I'm kinda curious about one mechanic: if you gently caress up the rocks by killing the wrong one or leaving the right one alive, what happens? raid aoe?

I have no idea, are fight mechanics a spoiler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Now imagine doing that at E3, where you have 7 strangers, and no guarantees any of them have ever played the game before. Also, you only get 3 attempts.

It's like Titan. That person dies.

Ah, I didn't even realize it was targeted. Shows how much attention I pay.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

The 65 NIN quest reminds me of why I wish we could replay instances. That was some hot stuff.

Care to spoiler bar what it was? I did the 65 RDM quest yesterday and if all the jobs are taking the same tack then that makes me really look forward to the leveling process for the rest of the jobs.

RDM 65: Going through the last wing of Great Gubal Library--boss included--was inspired and made me feel like a total boss. :c00l:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rip excalibur

(e) or not, back in queue :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

christ kicked for a 90006 mid cutscene, not trying to change instances or anything :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

This was posted last night but it should tip the scales for you: http://ojiyaff.tumblr.com/tagged/51scales

I've never done dragongirl (or dude for that matter) because they seem too waifish (and the dudes have a silly run animation, my god) but now i'm kinda considering it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gets totorak for leveling roulette, 90002s out right before the end, can't get back in

i blame the sylphs for this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

You should thank it for crashing. gently caress Totorak.

It was almost over!!! I completely wasted my time in that hsithole!!!!!!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hooray, FFXIV is popular enough to eat a DDoS :woop:

Wonder if it's someone mad at Pink Peanut :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I finally hit RDM68 and have VerFlare. Surprisingly, I haven't really had balance troubles with it so far. Figured only having one of the two finishers would cause issues.

Also, new gpose is so good. It also works with limit breaks. I need to figure out a way to get the LB3 cast and Gpose it. What criteria lets you use an LB3? Any full 8man party? Even if its open world?

Gotta be in an eight man against a final boss, unfortunately.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any way to see what I would look like in, say, my current gear as a different race? I'm still considering trying female Xaela after yesterday's conversation (and just arriving on the Azim Steppe myself).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FisheyStix posted:

Hello my name is Fisheystix and I may stop being a red mage

E: For context, that's a palace of the dead boss.

Crappy screenshot aside now I'm awfully tempted to try SAM instead of finishing the MSQ with RDM :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Current status: freaking out about how loving good the 2nd boss of Bardam's Mettle is

and how much of a ruiner of pugs it is :stonklol:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone know about how much Poetics it costs to get a full set of Augmented Shire gear now? I'm thinking about doing BLM after RDM (then I guess SMN afterward just so I can dump all the leveling caster gear :sigh:), and would like to get them off on the right foot. Didn't have enough poetics at the time to do so for RDM.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

1735 left side, 720 right side, 500 for a weapon.

All 260, no upgrades.

Harrow posted:

If you want to augment, it's just 100 poetics per piece, too, even the weapon.
Thanks. Rather more expensive than I thought but not too bad at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Since we're kinda talking about it as compared to RDM, how does the BLM rotation (or whatever you want to call it) shake out at 70? Has it changed significantly on the way up there from 60?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm guilty of ruining at least one Dragon Sight with the RDM leap-back I can't remember the name of and now I feel bad about that :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now I'm somehow feeling vaguely guilty for playing RDM, the what-is-this-EZ-mode? of DPS jobs apparently :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Don't worry, I've also played SAM and NIN (yes, hi, it's me, a weeaboo) and they're also fairly straightforward once you've run a couple dungeons with them. Play whatever you think is raddest.

Gotta stick to RDM for me then, because being the DPS that makes a sick loving save with Vercures/Verraises, rare as it is, feels good as heck.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also can I just say again how loving amazing the last boss of the 67 dungeon is, and can I have his weapon please stares meaningfully at avatar

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

A tiny version of him is the rare minion drop for that dungeon. I got it on my first run. :allears:

g... gasp?!?!?!?!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've seen discussions about how WAR has shat the bed somewhat, but where does DRK sit? My next class to 70 might be a tonk instead of another DPS, and greatswords are cooler than sword and shield :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its really too early to tell because a lot of people "feel" like they are poo poo but there hasn't been a definitive "Your are poo poo" consensus yet. We need a whole lot more parses than what we've gotten so far. (Remember how SMN was poo poo and then parses started coming out and they are at around the same overall power level as everyone else? How people were saying RDM was op as gently caress and they actually do a tiny bit worse on parses than the other casters? How MNK would never find spots now that SAM is a thing and then they are very close to each other in damage?

Some people are actually saying that DRK does more damage than WAR and PLD for whatever its worth.

Cool to know, but I meant more in terms of... fun factor, I suppose. Line in the sense that SMN is still competitive DPS wise but (I've heard) they feel gutted and boring to actually play. How's DRK hacking it in that sense?

Guess the right way to find out is go try it myself but god drat it I'm at work and it's a million degrees in here why won't this day end :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I played it to 60 but haven't done much in a long time, since I was never a fan of the speedpulling tank DPS meta. Just made me nervous and uncomfortable (yes, yes, tanking is the easiest job, but still). But since things are somewhat locked down as far as that goes nowadays maybe I'll give it another shake after I'm done with RDM.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Look.

FFXIV is obviously an allegory for how mankind is tainted by both religion and patriotic zeal. It is a game where the central theme is that gods are worthless and while country is important it is more important to bond with other nations than to put yourself above the others. Of course the central theme is that religion is evil and must be destroyed in all its forms, even seemingly benevolent ones.

i mean you're not wrong about the smash all religions thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My god these DPS queues loving suck. Makes me want to take up DRK from 60 even though I'm scared of tanking because of the whole DPS meta thing, not even bother with doing roulettes on my 70 RDM.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 25, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's nothing wrong with staying in grit and going a moderate pace if you're doing 4-mans. Hell, even pubbing 24-man or 8-man ex trials I was more than happy to sit in defensive stance because I didn't know if I could count on my healers. Don't let the meta actually influence what you're doing unless you're in a progression static.

You say that but man all I ever seemed to hear from goons when tanking back in the day was how much they hated tanks who stayed in Grit or slowpulled, equated them with honest healers and such.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also I just had a go at the final boss and uhhhhhh :stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

:fap:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't do it, I can't play a non-DPS role. Gonna just have to find something to do during queues.

I wish you could at least hunt reliably during them, but being alone is no way to get hunt mob credit!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Since we're talking post-MSQ, I've got a question about one of the stingers.

Is there any explanation for the Elidibus mask removal, and the Emperor's reaction to it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just remembered the actual true reason I don't like tanking, and that's getting lousy DPS. 35ish minutes for spoopyship wowww :geno:

Think I'm gonna level SAM when I don't feel like waiting for the expert DR queue on RDM. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I very nearly said "god, just gently caress already" out loud at one point, yeah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man RDM is so good and cool. Had my first goes at Emanation Extreme tonight, got a good four clears in. Being able to be a caster while a) being mobile and b) not having a pet rules so much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hildibrand shows up during the inevitable rematch against Yojimbo. The fight is already goofy so it's a perfect fit.

The Mandervilles ARE pretty rich... what if they hire Yojimbo for a case and we work with him :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

I hope they don't have anymore extra action bar fights because they are clunky as hell.

Also shirk is GOD loving drat AMAZING and will make tank swaps and staying ahead of aggro on the dps easy AS gently caress! If you aren't doing the shirk jerk with your co-tank you should reroll. It only sucks on fights like lakmishi where you have to stay second on aggro and a pesky sam keeps riding the off tank.

I kept slipping into second place on Emanation EX as an RDM and it gave me a tiny boner :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

RDM is just really easy. I don't mean this as a pejorative, just that people are finding optimal rotations and able to pull them off much earlier than the other jobs. Wait a month and if RDM is still consistently performing that well relative to other jobs (assuming good players are playing both) then maybe there's something there, but I don't think existing numbers suggest RDM is overtuned.

It still irrationally, slightly annoys me that I ended up picking the ez-mode class, but after doing Lakshmi EX four times yesterday and making critical saves with cure and raise on two of them, I can still say RDM is the best class, difficulty and parses be damned.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vitamean posted:

The best part of the expansion is the level 70 red mage quest telling you no less than three times about how much of a good idea it would be to pack a few antidotes.

Also not sure if it was answered, but re: Verflare/Verholy - if you even begin to cast a different spell when the procs are up, it won't let you cast flare/holy even if you interrupt your cast.

I ignored the advice all three times and did fine :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I switched to SAM because I enjoy melee classes a little more, but for real the ability to have a "save the group from wiping" button (two if you need to vercure) is extremely tempting to make me switch back.

It really is incredibly gratifying to be able to go above and beyond like this, yeah, especially without actually having to be a healer. On one run both healers ate poo poo in quick succession, so I Vercured the tank, Verraised one, Vercured the tank and Verraised the other, and mana shifted when the first healer got up. Left me almost totally dry, but we went on to win, so hey yo.

(You'd think as much as I enjoyed that I'd like healing, but I think I'm too much of a lizard-brained big numbers lover to not DPS. :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 26, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

currently 37 minutes into this expert roulette queue (position #35!!!) and wondering: what's the best way to level an alt combat job that doesn't involve instances, so I can stay in queues as a DPS? should I take my level 28 Gladiator out to do leves or FATEs or something? or should I just give up on getting Verity until I level it to 70?

I queue up as DPS then go FATE around on DRK mindlessly until it pops.

I bitched about this in PBC yesterday to some length but man I wish you could get higher contributions on A and S ranks while solo. Several times I heard a callout while I was in queue, switched back to RDM, called out my chocobro, DPSed from the word go (actually doing the pull once), and getting 3 centurio seals for my time. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vil posted:

While you still probably won't get max when solo, you can reasonably often get the 60% reward instead of the 10% reward by going as a tank. Contribution depends on threat.

Oooof course it does. :doh:

All the more impetus to get DRK up to 70 even if I never really intend to play it, I suppose.