Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Digital Jesus posted:

Has anyone got the enhanced edition of the rulebook on iOS? I preordered it last night but now the enhanced edition has completed disappeared from :australia: iBooks :-/

Downloaded this morning. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hellhound' flame based inferno cannon doesn't auto hit like every other flame weapon in the game. :what:

Literally useless in its current form.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Digital Jesus posted:

Argh. Not Aussie I'm guessing? Every other freaking book is there except the EE Rulebook.

Oh poo poo sorry. Am Aussie, but got the Index, not the rule book digitally.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

chutche2 posted:

I'm looking at the leaked index and both the inferno and chem cannon automatically hit, is it different elsewhere?

Yep, the digital version is different.

Good work GW!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Welp, returned the iBooks copy of Index Imperium 2 for a refund and bought the paper copy.

I look forward to Guard being one of the first Codices released and throwing this in the trash :v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Also Imperial Guard Squad Sergeants can take any ranged weapon.

Plasma Gun, Flamer, Vulcan Mega Bolter :getin:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah, all the army list builders are still broken as hell. It'll be a long wait.

Got back from the store and breaking out the pens and paper.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So in 2000pts, a Guard infantry army can get a stupid amount of re-rolls.

3 for Battle forged, 27 from 3 Brigades, and then + 2 if you take Creed.

Just a causal 32 re-rollable dice per game.

edit: Guard superiority artwork for the new page:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 17, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NORTH-HALL posted:

It'll be a poo poo ton of cheap mortar squads and sniper special weapon squads. They're under 30pts.

Also they have the cheapest HQs.

Exactly this.

Mortar heavy weapon teams, grenade launcher / sniper special weapon teams.

It's absurdity.

Fast attack is the trickiest, but scout sentinels with multi lasers are the cheapest, from what I can tell.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The dumb list

HQ

9 choices

9 Company commanders
270pts

Troops
18 choices of 10 man guard squads
720pts

Elites
9 choices of special weapon teams with sniper rifles
270pts

Fast Attack
9 choices of Scout Sentinels with multil lasers 1x9
405pts

Heavy Support
9 choices of Heavy weapon squads (3) with mortars x 9
27pts = 243pts

1908points with 30 Command Dice

With 92 points to spare!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NORTH-HALL posted:

You're going to need all those rerolls to reroll the 1 anti tank weapon you can afford!

I don't know, I've got the points left over to put 9 las cannons on those sentinels :getin:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Kingfish posted:

You couldn't possibly use all of those re-rolls in a 6 turn game because you don't have a psyker.

Sub out some of the company commanders for Primaris Psykers, and you could!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Re: the Brigade chat. It's a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's more an experiment in list building than anything.

For example if you roll up a kill points mission you may as well concede before deployment and spend the 2hrs at the pub having drinks.

8th is quickly showing us that balanced lists are actually viable in this edition, and min maxing runs into some of its own problems. I think that's awesome.

I have a 1750pt tournament in a month, and my guard are going into a single Brigade. Works really well.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sleepyjacked posted:

People are postin pics so I figured I'd contribute.

Some of my Guard:

Man I always get nervous when someone says they're painting their Guard red, but this is how you do it right. Owns.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TKIY posted:

Yeah just reread that. Still drop him into cover and it's 20 shots and you have to dig 14 T8 3+ wounds out or face forty shots the next turn.

Yep - Tyranid monsters are very, very spooky this edition.

30" move first turn chargers are also terrifying.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
When you're out putting that many shots, pure weight of dice is going to mean stuff dies.

Only Russ variant I'm taking at 1750 is a punisher with 3 heavy bolters.

That's at least 29 dice rolling every turn. Plus or minus a heavy stubber.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Black_Nexus posted:

So if I am playing Guard and I want to take the Tempestus Scions, can I take them in the same detachment? Or does it need to be a separate one because they are tempestus?

Some one, keyword Astra Militarum.

All it means is your platoon commanders can't order them, and the Tempestor Prime can't order Imperial Guardsman.

The hot tip is to run the Tempestor Prime, and two 5 man Scion squads. for 1 HQ and 2 Troops that can all deep strike on turn 1 if you want.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

RagnarokAngel posted:

Question, I'm slowly breaking into thousand sons (Have 3 squads of rubrics, scarab terminators, ahriman and magnus) and looking at where to go from here. If I decided I wanted a helbrute, do you think I could get away with using a space marine dreadnought? I'm not wild about the helbrute because I feel like the whole skin fused to machine thing doesn't jive with Thousand Sons. But a space marine dreadnought in thousand sons, minus some of the imperium iconography like purity seals basically looks like a sarcophagus on a robot and I think could work. Would this be allowed or would most give me poo poo over it?

Totally makes sense. See if you can get some sort of bird head for the dread to add to the look.

Also, see if you can maybe source a betrayl at Calth one for cheap. They're pretty easy to convert.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mortanis posted:

I've got about 3000 points worth of Blood Angels and a few 8th Ed games under my belt now, and I'm looking to start another army for the first time ever. I'm looking at Necrons. Does anyone have any links outlining what sucks/doesn't suck in 8th Ed for Necrons - units, strategies, strengths and weaknesses?

your best bet at this stage is to read faction specific threads on forums like Bolter and Chainsword or Dakka Dakka.

Problem is they're awful places, so not yet- it's still a bit early.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Also, Overwatch requires line of sight, but charging does not.

So deploying an assault unit behind a dedicated transport that blocks LOS and then declaring a charge is a totally viable move.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenMarine posted:

If I name my space marine chapter "Ork" does this mean my <Chapter> keyword becomes Ork so I can field Orks with my marines? :D

no.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yep, they posted 'Developers commentary' today

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/17/new-edition-now-available-read-the-rules-get-the-t-shirtgw-homepage-post-1/

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenMarine posted:

That seems like an entirely sane FAQ.

exactly. It's 3 pages of 'no you loving pedant, of course you can't'

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Master Twig posted:

Just a couple of HQs, preparing for a light snack.

How very dare you.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Serotonin posted:

That's how I read and it and we played it yesterday, but wanted to be sure.

So in theory as you dont need LOS to charge, you could hide a flying unit behind a building, charge a unit on the other side of the building, and as you weren't in LOS at start of charge there's no overwatch?

yep.

Same as dropping a unit on the far side of a dedicated transport and charging a unit on the other side. No overwatch.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AgentF posted:

Suppose I am an Australian that might be curious if I can avoid getting absolutely loving gouged by Games Workshop. Where's the cheapest place for me to get warhams these days?

Emerald Games if they actually have anything in stock, The Combat Company, Mighty Ape, Bunker Games (if you don't mind waiting).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finally got around to watching Zulu last night.

That box of 100 odd Praetorians is my next project I think. Victoria miniatures also sells "Captain Caine"

http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/captain-caine-metal

Pip pip old boy, this Imperium isn't going to defend itself. There's a good lad.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

mango sentinel posted:

This is a problematic road you're going down.

I'm not painting the orks brown. We good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I love that the Perry's recreated the injured Praetorians from when they originally sculpted them for GW in '98

Like, *exactly*

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm fielding a Hydra in this edition, because Guard hitting keyword [FLY] units on a 3+ is hilarious

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Kingfish posted:

JSJ was terrible, it needed to go.

I remember the same thing from Eldar fire prisms back in 3rd.

What a truly unfun experience.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Which is a change I really like. You can actually set up ambushes now! Like, hide a unit around a corner and force the enemy toward them, then charge around the corner.

Also: infantry running away from Wraith Knights into ruins where they can't be followed. It's pretty thematic.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BULBASAUR posted:

DkoK are probably my favorite model line from FW. I think it's because they appeal to the historical warham inside me, but space WW1 is just so grim dork in a 80s heavy metal kind of way

I've always wanted to do a Krieg army, but Steel Legion are so close in looks it'd be a waste.

But man, the riders are such nice minis.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Someone earlier made the best argument I've heard yet for power levels. Wysywig.

In a perfect world, if you played power levels, you'd have to play 100% wysywig. Would make pickup games at local stores very straightforward.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

chutche2 posted:

So a kinda hilarious thing me and my friends came up with

A 185 point vanguard detachment consisting of 1 company commander and 6 platoon commanders, all with power axes and laspistols. You get guys with 3-4 wounds, 3 attacks, and a 5+ invuln save that hit on 3+, and if they're ever in combat during their shooting phase they can all give themselves Fix Bayonets and immediately make 3 attacks each

I think Guard are the faction that will have the most fun with the indexes making broken weird stuff before the Codex re-organises them all properly.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Speaking of Guard, 8th has made me finally get around to painting the Hydra I've had for who knows how long.

gently caress your [FLY]ers

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Veteran squad with 3 flamers, a heavy flamer, in a Chimera with a heavy flamer is not too bad.

Also, just watched the latest Tabletop Tactics battle report with a super heavy with 4 twin linked heavy flamer sponsons.

That's 8D6 automatic S5 hits whenever it gets charged.

:getin:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Xarlaxas posted:

Best. Squad. Ever.

Speaking of flamers, I was working on a (theoretical) Sisters of Battle list:

The idea would be to have the Dominion Squads in the Immolators, getting the vanguard move, and getting close to the enemy and burn them nicely, the Heavy Bolter Squads would camp and take out the infantry, while the Multi-Melta squad deals with any nasty looking critters, not sure what to do with the Seraphim, other than have them drop in and pistol stuff to death, while the gun-line of 60 SoBs marches towards the objectives, using the Imagifiers to (hopefully) get some extra Acts of faith.

Not entirely sure what I'm doing with the Canonesses either. :v:

That's a terrifying list.

Although the lack of exorcists would make dealing with big nasties at range an issue. Otherwise it's very, very solid.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That's how all 40k needle weapons work. It's nutty and awesome :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

muggins posted:

Also those scout guys look like they're wearing space marine high heels lol

No kidding the awkward looking legs was the first thing I noticed too.