Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Actually had to laugh out loud at the Tau flavor text, well done.

Had my second game yesterday, my nids and my buddies orks vs. Khorne. We won by sheer numbers. Our opponent had brought two Skull cannons for infantry clearing, which they just couldn't do. He concluded that he'll have to bring more meat to counter our meat, which I think is correct. His lord got bogged down in 30 boys and got to do gently caress all. I love that my playstyle (big mobs of cheap gaunts and hormagants, coupled with a couple big guys) seems viable now. Haven't played since 5th ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It definitely got me, that's for sure.

Same here. I last played in 5th Edition. Got my old 'nids out of the cellar. I've been a die-hard Warmachine/Hordes player for the last couple years, but in it's current state, 40k is an awesome beer&pretzel distraction. I even bought a couple boxes to get my army up to snuff. WMH is still my go-to game, but it's cool to put my swarm back on the table.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Master Twig posted:

Yeah. As much as I like some of my FW units, the rules team for FW just has no idea what the hell they're doing and I think tournaments would be better off not allowing them.

Got a 1500 point tournament today. In an hour. I better get my stuff ready.

Bringing
Tyrant - Wings - Deathspitters - Rending Claws
Broodlord
15 genestealers
22 fleshborer gaunts
20 devourer gaunts
5 Warriors with talons and boneswords
Exocrine
2 Trygons

Are the stealers and devilgaunts being deployed via trygon tunnel? This looks similar to what I play, so keep us posted on how it went for you!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Master Twig posted:

The stealers started on the table. The warriors and devilgaunts showed up in the Trygon tunnels. The tournament went well! I went 3 - 0, but finished 3rd due to points. (3 people were 3-0 at the end. Too many players.)

First round was against Eldar. 4 wave serpents full of wraiths. 1 thing that was like a wave serpent but shot better. Tabled them turn 4.

Second round was against Thousand Suns. 2 rubric squads. Predator. Helldrake. 10 termies and a termie sorcerer. Tabled them turn 3. Didn't lose a single unit.

Last round was against Matt Root, the #1 ranked player from ITC last season. He had orks. 3 trukks full of boys. 2 full of tankbustas. Big Mek on bike. Warboss. Gorkanaut. Game finished turn 7 and he had one lone boy on the table, on an objective. I had another objective. I had 9 devilgaunts, a half wounded exocrine, and a single warrior left on the table. Both got slay warlord. Neither got linebreaker. I won due to First Blood.

The guy who won the tournament ran 3 stormravens. 2nd place was running Taurox spam.

Whoah, I didn't see that coming. Congratulations! I would've thought the list would have lots of trouble against vehicles, how did you deal with them so fast?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Does anyone know how new Codicws will be handled? I'd hate to invest in new stuff only to have it conpletely change once again. Hoping it will be mostly new psi powers, command points and keyword stuff instead of "oh yeah, your tervigon now has to roll a d6 to see how many gaunts he spawns, costs 30 more and has 4 less wounds, deal with it".

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Got a couple questions for you guys!

Khorne Berserkers get to attack twice. If they charged, do they get both sets of attacks before the enemy?

My buddy is interpreting the multi charge and formation rules in such a way that he can ignore formation for charges, and then has to try to get back in formation in his next movement phase. This resulted in said Berserkers multicharging the genestealers that shocked in behind them, and the gaunts in front, leaving a 12" gap between both halves of the same unit. I'm sure that's not how it works, how can I convince him?

Finally, what's a good app to handle tons of diceroling with rerolls? I'd really like to automate things like 30 devilgaunts - 90 shots rerolling 1's on hit and damage is a pain to roll manually and takes tons of time.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

BaconCopter posted:

I don't know about you all, but I am totally down for probating every person that posted or quoted any Ayn Rand poo poo in this thread.

Less poo poo, more cool pics. Anyone painting any nids up after the new edition?

I've gotten my old 'nids out of storage after... 10 years or so? Last played in 4th Edition.

Back then I painted a horde quick, and dipping was the new hotness, so I did that.

Well, I've gotten back in the game and invested in some of the newer, bigger kits, and decided to dip them as well to stick with the current army look.

Bonus: I really enjoy how dipped figures feel when handling them. I'm also wholly unafraid to just toss 'em in a bag or something (at least the little ones).

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I went to my very first 40k Tournament this weekend! It was a small 1.000 point tournament meant as an introduction to 40k tournaments. Which suited me fine, since I only just got back into the game and dusted off my Tyranids only recently.

List building at 1.000 points was very challenging. I originally wanted to cram an Exocrine in there to have some firepower, but that would not only cost a fourth of my points, I’d also need something with synapse to babysit it. I also considered a Tervigon babysitting 30 mixed Termagants, but decided that 250 points with little personal impact wasn’t the way to go. I was also worried that having only one big bug would just give my enemies the chance to shoot it down with whatever anti-tank weaponry they brought.

After trying this and that, I ended up with this Brigade list:

Broodlord (Warlord, +1 Attack)
Winged Hive Tyrant with double scything talons
25 Termagants
29 Genestealers in 2 units
Trygon

I wasn’t completely happy with this list, as it has problems with good massed small-arms shooting, and almost no shooting of its own. On the other hand, I had a lot of genestealers who could mangle MEQ, a WHT to deal with a flyer (I was hoping at 1.000 points there would seldom be more than one), and a Trygon and Broodlord for armor cracking. I also liked that I could deploy the WHT completely out of LOS and only present soft targets to my enemy turn 1, making lists that focus on anti-tank weaponry waste their shots on chaff.

So, after being afraid of flyers and using a WHT explicitly to deal with them, no one at the entire tournament brought a single flyer. Oh well.

Round 1 – vs. Ultramarines
We had the mission with are two objectives, and the organizers decided on the battleground that made life hell for psykers. He ran three land speeders with heavy bolters and missile launchers, a whirlwind, some other big gun Rhino-variant (haven’t played 40k for a while, so I’m not sure on the specifics here), a scout squad and a psyker on bike. We rolled table quarters, and I stole initiative.

I had my termagants deployed in cover around my objective and didn’t move them the entire game. I proceeded to steal initiative like a boss. 15 Stealers with Broodlord ran up the table and got the Feel No Pain psipower. WHT hid behind a huge terrain piece near the scouts.

His turn, the landspeeders repositioned next to the tanks, he basically clumped everything in his corner away from me. That meant the speeders moved and shot with -1. With my 5+ invul and 5+ FNP, half of the stealers survived the mass shooting that ensued from everything he had.

My turn, the WHT had nothing better to do than charge the 7 scouts and kill 4. Trygon and stealers popped out, Trygon made his charge against the whirlwind and left it on 3 wounds. Stealers and Broodlord killed the other tank and consolidated into his psyker and flyers.

From there it was just mopping up. His Land speeders did far less damage than I thought, once again, and over the course of the next two turns I tabled him completely without losing any more models. Victory at 9-0.

Round 2 – vs. Tau
The matchup I was afraid of. Tons and tons of small-arms fire. Lots of drones, three crisis, commander, some stealth suits. Good for me: Night fight mission, Killpoints. Bad for me: deployment zones had high buildings for him to deploy on, making charges difficult.

I had turn 1 and proceeded up the board, hiding the WHT behind a building in my corner. I deepstrike the Trygon and stealers in to saturate him with targets, but due to the tall buidlings am unable to get charges in. His T1, he uses 2 CP to light up the 15 strong stealers unit, shot five markerlights on them and then obliterated the unit. He then proceeded to shoot the broodlord, now in the open, down to 1 wound. Oh, did I mention his Crisis suit and Kommander deepstriked in the very corner next to my WHT and killed him as well?

So my opponent had a huge advantage from the get-go. Luckily, his army was made up of lots of small units, so I could still get me some sweet killpoints. Over the course of the game the few units I had left managed to kill quite a few of his. The game ended with 8-6 for him; he couldn’t get any more points since I simply didn’t have any more units to kill. Meanwhile I had left a single fire warrior alive due to same bad rolls from the Trygon.

Round 3 – vs. Beardy McBeardface
I’d like to say he was playing Admech, but it was basically “whatever works best!”. He had 3 units of admech shooty guys, one unit of infiltrators, ROBOT GIRLYMAN, and a greyknight scriptor in Terminator armor because gently caress you, that’s why. Bringing a lord of war at 1.000 pts should be a criminal offense. Oh, this also gave him 9 Command points because Girlyman really needs more cool rules.

I finish deploying first, but he steals initiative. I conga-lined my Termagaunts across my Deployment so his infiltrators couldn’t get into my backlines. So instead he infiltrated 9” in front of my stealers. He shot my stealers up, coupled with an infiltrator charge that also tied up my termagants after consolidation moves. My T1 I ineffectively deep strike my stuff in but don’t get any charges, but at least kill his infiltrators with the WHT and Broodlord. His T2 Girlyman murderizes the Trygon in one go and shoots a couple stealers on the way in. My WHT eats a unit, my gaunts shoot another, but it’s already lost at this point; Girlyman is just a joke and proceeds to run around the field and kill my entire army in 3 rounds. At least the guy was ok to play against.
Oh yeah, the organizers had decided that this would be the meteor strike battleground. We played one round with those rules, rolled the eyes and then proceeded to completely ignore them. To TO’s everywhere: do NOT run the battlegrounds in the rulebook in your events, they suck balls. Having to roll for each flying unit if it gets d3 mortal wounds every turn is not a good time.

So, I had fun and will definitely play in another 40k event again. There were only two really beardy lists – the one I had to play against, and a Chaos list with a knight. The next time they will go up to 1.500 points and not allow Lords of War and most likely Forgeworld stuff, which would be fine with me. We had a decent mix of armies, and mostly painted stuff, which was great.

Highlight of the tournament: the guy with the knight won the tournament and promptly bought the youngest player (about 16) an Ork Bomma with the prize money, nice. They also had two exocrines lying around, so I bought my second one – all the online stores in Germany are out of stock. Score!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Yes he was. Oh well... lessons learned I guess ;)

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

The Sisko posted:

:siren: Cawl in dah houuuuuussse!!! :siren:

That is excellent.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
After early successes with my Tyranids, I keep getting my rear end handed to me in uncool ways. How are other tyranid players keeping up? I keep reading Tyranids are in the upper mid-tier. My experience sees them somewhere near the bottom. I especially find the following things troublesome:

- few good ranged answers against heavy weaponry / tanks
I have three choices: Exocrines, Hive Guard and Tyrannofex. Tyrannofex gets 4 shots, only doing D6 damage when two in a row hit. Crap. Exocrine gets 12 shots with S7 AP -3 D2. Better, but to get that potential she cannot move. This means you basically have to deploy her in the open to hope for any kind of damage potential. So far, I tried fielding two of them with a termagant bubblewrap. But, if your enemy wins the initiative, most lists can easily shoot one or two T7 W12 3+ models off the table. Hive Guard are the last option, one I haven’t tried yet, but they only do D3 damage. Basically, I’m missing a lascannon equivalent that I can field in larger numbers.

- same problem against flyers
This is pure conjecture, since I haven’t played against flyer spam yet, but I think my only real answer here are Exocrines again (or winged hive tyrants), and they can get focused easily.

- and again, transports
If I can’t shoot transports, I have to kill them in melee. A savvy player will wait for me to bring my genestealers to bear against a useless rhino, then counterkill the stealers with whatever was in the transport.

- Reroll command bubbles
It seems everyone and their mother are bringing heavy weapons with rerolls. Tyranids don’t have that option. I’m only aware of the Warrior Prime giving Warriors rerolls, and some abilities giving rerolls on 1’s, but that’s about it.

Yesterday I played a game vs Chaos. My opponent had brought Abaddon with 3 Laser Predators, plus a crapton of Cultists and some other things he wanted to try. He deployed the tanks after I was completely done, then stole the initiative – with three tries, that’s actually pretty likely (we played with the chapter approved rule, so I got a +1 starting roll, he spent a CP to reroll his roll, then seized, then spent a CP to seize again, getting the 6). He used the stratagem that let his tanks wound and damage with +1 and shot my Exocrine and Tervigon off the board, with shots to spare. Also 15 Genestealers. Mind you, this was all stuff in a Malanthrope aura, which didn’t help at all. I basically started the 1850 point game 680 points down. It went as expected. I didn’t even get to any of the tanks due to his abundance of bubble wrapping. I messed up in deploying my Tervigon in LOS, but honestly didn’t expect him to shoot both guys off the table.

Next game, I guess I’m ditching the balanced approach and will try the following:
3x 20 genestealers, each with a broodlord
3x 20 termagants, with 11 devourers each
1x Malanthrope
1x Trygon

It sounds terrible. I will deploy everything except the Trygon and just hope that 120 troopers are enough to give most lists trouble, and only shock the Trygon in if I can get a tank in reach. If my opponent plays flyers, I’ll have the option to shake hands without deploying.

Sorry if this post is too salty, yesterday’s game was very off-putting.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries, guys. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has these issues with Tyranids, and it seems like I’m right with a few of my assessments.

My buddy was actually pretty apologetic after he saw the amount of damage his predators did. He thinks the codexes give so many powerful options that the Index-armies are suddenly lagging far behind. Here’s hoping for a new codex, then, with some nice things that will bolster our anti-tank/flyer options and stratagems and the like that let us survive Turn 1 shooting (Spore cloud -> night fight rules for 2CP, something like that).

It’s also funny how I at first thought vehicles and monstrous creatures where now very survivable, because I was only looking at them with tyranid weaponry in mind, only to now switch gears and think they’re now mainly a big target and liability. Too bad that I bought, built and painted two Exocrines before I had that epiphany.

For my next game, I’ll proxy a couple things to field the following:

2 Broodlords
2 Malanthropes
3x 20 Genestealers
2x 25 Termagants, each with 9 Fleshborers and 16 Devourers
20 Hormagaunts
2x3 Hive Guard

That gives me 4 Synapse creatures, all characters that I can hide; 12 CP; 130+ bodies on the table; Termagant shooting to hopefully take down some of the chaff before I send in my ‘stealers; and 6 Hive Guard who will most likely deploy completely out of LOS with a Malanthrope to cripple (unlikely to destroy) a flyer or tank per round, or shoot stuff that’s blocking charge lanes. I’m hoping this will fare better, but I’m so not looking forward to deploying all that poo poo.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I got my new mat in, and also finished painting up my 2k list, so I decided to take all my painted 'nids out for a group shot.

I've only got my lovely cellphone cam, so it didn't come out that great - but still, seeing it all on the table like that feels great. Next up, another Broodlord and 8 more genestealers to get the count up to 40!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
My Tyranids faced off against my buddies Imperial Fists yesterday in the most visually appealing game I’ve ever played in my tabletop “career”. We both sported fully painted armies in coherent styles, fully based, on a table with fully painted terrain. The kicker: even our bases matched the table. I uploaded an album HERE.

It was an 1850 point match.

I played: Swarmlord, Malanthrope, Broodlord; 2x16 Genestealers, 22 Hormagaunts, 36 Termagants (1x 10, 1x26 with 12 Devourers); Trygon, 2x Exocrines

He brought: Captain Lysander and 3 Centurions in a Land Raider, a Psyker in Terminator armor with 5 melee terminators (3 shields, 2 claws), a tac squad in rhino, a land speeder, a dread, 2 units of scouts.

Since it was late, we played a Maelstrom game where we drew up to 5 cards each round, discarding one, first to 10 points wins (with the option to catch up).

Some highlights of the game:

- his psyker and terminators shock into my backlines. They fail a charge against an exocrine and lose one guy to overwatch. My round of shooting, I fire both Exocrines at them and deal 18 wounds… and he only fails a single storm shield save (spends one CP on a reroll).

- Thanks to the Swarmlords ability, I completely encircle his Rhino with my hormagaunts bottom of turn 1, trapping the tac squad inside and forcing his dread to deal with my cheap chaff. I reread the pile in and consolidate rules the night before to make sure I got this right – I have to end both moves closer to the nearest model, but that doesn’t mean I have to get closer in a straight line. So, during the charge I went up the sides and left a little less than an inch of space, then with my 6” pile in, I managed to get into the backside of the rhino, hugging it with my gaunts. Nice!

A few examples of abysmal rolling:

- 16 genestealers (64 attacks) leave his land speeder on one wound (I had a card that would’ve awarded me 1 CP for the kill)
- Broodlord and Swarmlord managing to roll 4 1’s on hit during critical charges. Swarmlord doesn’t wound the enemy psyker, while the
- He brought 3 or 4 meltas, none of them ever hit, always rolling 2 or lower

We finished 13-11 for him. Narrow victory!

A great game against a great opponent. Games with him are Warhams at it’s best for me: relaxed and with combined arms lists. He knows I have trouble with massed armor and flyers, so he doesn’t slam me with them. I know he’s terrified of genestealers, so I don’t flood the table with 60-80 of the fuckers. We both enjoy the game the most when it’s a close affair, and this game swung back and forth all the time. Plus, seeing fully painted armies clashing is gorgeous. My army is speedpainted in a very simple scheme, but thanks to the mass of models, still manages to look impressive on the table. His more elite fists had less models with more detailing, the almost white edge highlighting really makes them pop.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I bought the Servo Haulers to spice up my gaming table, and I think the rusted brown metals look totally rad. Anyone know how to achieve this effect?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

One_Wing posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for suppliers of terrain? I would like to get enough to put together a battlefield at home. I am assuming that I start with a FAT mat, and then buy some stuff to go on it - assuming I wanted to spend up to about £100/$150 (on top of the mat) what would people recommend? I have a strong preference against anything I have to paint myself.

I'd recommend the prepainted terrain from gamemat.eu, especially the industrial set HERE.

It says preorder, but only because they're out of stock, you can watch reviews on youtube. The pieces are huge, with a couple old gw craters you'll have a table ready. Costs 105 pounds, and their mats are nice as well. They also have a gothic ruins set, but I wanted something different.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

xtothez posted:

I bet that means they're going to stop Catalyst stacking with Tenacious Survivor :ohdear:

Putting aside space elves for a bit, I know there's quite a few Tyranid players lurking in this thread. What are you all hoping to see from the new codex?

Mainly I'd like to see Hive Tyrants less overshadowed by Broodlords. Walkrants (and the Swarmlord) escorted by Tyrant Guard should be scarier. They're cool models but it's such a huge chunk of points to field right and the impact these units have doesn't justify that now. Why sink 350-450pts into a T6 bullet magnet when that also buys you multiple Broodlords/Primes that fulfill a similar role but can't be shot at? Flyrants shouldn't need gimmicky Hard to Hit or Character targeting rules that many Nid players keep pushing for. Just let them use nearby Gargoyles for protection like less effective Tyrant Guard.

More than anything, I want to see fluffy & thematic armywide special rules that make the army feel less 'flat' than the current Index rules:
  • Monsters that can fight on through horrific injuries in some situations (ignoring damage table effects)
  • Tactical regeneration via stratagems / psychic powers (rather than it being a per-monster upgrade and rarely affecting anything)
  • Respawning gaunts like the old Without Number rule
  • Sacrificing gaunts to protect synapse creatures
Well, while we’re wishlisting…

• Better ways to deal with fliers and vehicles at range
    This feels like our biggest weakness to me right now. Exocrines and Hive Guard feel like our best shooty options, but only deal 2 or D3 wounds. They’re also very expensive. I realize we’re not a shooty army – getting a way to stall enemy tanks would be fine. The PSI Power that gives -1 to hit is a good example, but doesn’t help when you’re not in range, or don’t get turn 1.
  • Making our big beasts more survivable
    On paper, the Exocrine is awesome – when I got back into the game I bought two of them immediately. Ingame, they have to be deployed in LOS to the enemy army, as they lose about 75% of their effectiveness when they have to move before shooting. And T8 3+ 12 wounds sounds good, but a couple lances or lascannons melt them off the table. Without invul saves, FNP or the ability to strategically use LOS-blocking terrain, they are huge targets.
  • Making turn 1 more survivable
    With large units, fitting all models into area terrain is usually impossible – so is deploying everything behind terrain. Not getting turn 1 also means Catalyst isn’t up. A stratagem that lets us get something like night fight rules (sporeclouds or something) would be amazing.

Also agree on Carnifexes needing 3+ to hit.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Uroboros posted:

Are the gamemats they still made of the same mousepad like material? Also, would you recommend a single or two sets of those ruins to adequately fill the table? Or maybe a combination of the ruins and the industrial sets?

I have the industrial complex as well as the mars mat, and they look baller as hell. It's almost enough for a full table, however I wouldn't buy two industrial set, instead getting some more area terrain like craters to mix it up. The terrain pieces are very tall, so good LOS blockers, and unlike most ruins I've seen, models aren't supposed to stand on top of them - something I like.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Just need to say that I'm really loving excited about the Tyranid Codex. From the leaka so far, I'll be able to play a variety of lists and styles. I love that. My two Exocrines might be worthwhile to field again, and I'll have to pick up a couple Carnifexes and a landing spore. Good times.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Guys, how do I Exocrine?

I've got two of them. Their output can be amazing - that's why they often get focused down asap.

My big problem with them is that their output is drastically hampered by moving (Half shots and -2 to hit rolls). So right now, I often put them on the table threatening firing lanes turn 1. After facing a three Predator Abaddon killshot list that simply shot both of them turn 1, I'm starting to consider terrain - lacking an invul save, they are more fragile than they look and very susceptible to lasacannons.

So this is largely table and enemy list dependent, but let's imagine I can only deploy them out of LOS so that they won't threaten anything without moving at least once, or in plain sight. Which would you choose?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

PierreTheMime posted:

Getting a game in this Saturday and wanted to try playing the equivalent of Skyblight:

Air Wing Detachment
Harpy 179pts
++2x Heavy Venom Cannon
Harpy 179pts
++2x Heavy Venom Cannon
Hive Crone 161pts

Battalion Detachment
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 189pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Monstrous Rending Claws
++Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms
++Wings
Hive Tyrant 189pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Wings
Malanthrope 90pts

Troops:
14x Termagant 56pts
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts

Heavy Support:
Exocrine 216pts

Outrider Detachment
Hive Tyrant 189pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Wings
10x Gargoyles 60pts
10x Gargoyles 60pts
10x Gargoyles 60pts

Outrider Detachment
Hive Tyrant 189pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Wings
Mucolid Spore 20pts
Mucolid Spore 20pts
Mucolid Spore 20pts

Total CP: 6
Total Points 1997pts

I'd have to have a unit of Gargoyles or a Spore deployed on the table, but the rest out appear anywhere and I'd have a pretty safe bet of getting the deployment bonus toward first turn.

Remember that, in matched play, at least half your units need to be deployed Turn 1. Which I only know because I was going to try a mostly deepstriking Jormugandr list. Foiled again!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Similarly, you cannot overwatch if you don't have LOS - the same does not apply to charging. So a flying creature, for example, can charge a unit from behind a house without suffering overwatch.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Last I played was around February of 2018, been busy with other games. But the Tyranid Spearhead got me interested again - I don't yet own a Tyrannofex, adn always wanted Ol' One Eye and another Carnifex, so I ordered that.

Now I skimmed over the last Chapter approved, and wow, a lot of the stuff I like playing (my core army usually included a Trygon with a Broodlord and Genestealers, and/or 2 Exocrines) all got cheaper. Is there any good online list builder or anything like that so I won't have to cross-reference multiple sources to update my lists? And is there anything else I might have missed that's important to 'nid players?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Thanks for the infos, xtothez and Tyranid Mastermind Pierre! One more question - in the past I mostly struggled against tough, High-Armor stuff like Titans , Land Raiders and more. What are our best options against such targets?

Just so you know, I don't own any flyers, like to run balanced lists (small gribblies and huge thingies), and my opponents don't go for max cheese. I was thinking of building the tyrannofex with a rupture cannon for anti tank, but apparently the acid spray is the better choice.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 7, 2019

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
So I’ll have my first re-introductory game in 2 weeks. I’d love some C&C on my list, and could use some pointers concerning which Hive Fleet and PSI powers to take. No clue what my opponent is going to bring, and I dislike tailoring lists anyways. I’m not looking for a tournament list, but want a fair fighting chance against my opponent who plays 40k quite a lot more than me ;)  

1500 Points of ‘nids
Hive Fleet Kraken (?) Battalion

HQ1: Flyrant w/ double Devourers (Warlord)
Warlord Trait: Kraken Trait
Relic: Ymgarl Factor
PSI Powers: ?

HQ2: Broodlord
PSI Power: ?

HQ3: Malanthrope

Troop 1: 17x Genestealers
Troop 2: 17x Genestealers
Troop 3: 3 Ripper Swarms
Troop 4: 29 Termagaunts, 15 Fleshborers/14 Devourers

Elite: 4x Hiveguard w/ Impaler Cannons

Heavy 1: Exocrine
Heavy 2: Biovore

One possible change I could see would be ditching Flyrant and Biovore for the Swarmlord in order to help the stealers more in exchsnge for firepower.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 8, 2019

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
First up, thanks for the info! Good stuff. A Battalion gives 5CP? drat, I misremembered and thought 3CP. Time for some changes!

I decided to put in a Neurothrope as my fourth HQ (could also go for a cheaper Alpha Warrior). With a heavy heart, I got rid of my much-beloved Exocrine in favour of maxing out the Hive Guard - with more CP, I will be able to use the extra Shooting Stratagem more often on them, and the Exocrine was the only big bug (apart from the WHT) and as such predestined to get shot off the table much easier than the Hive Guard. As I only own three Ripper swarms, I had to split up the gaunts to cheaply fill out my troop choices.

As for my collection, I basically own every big bug once, a poo poo ton of gaunts in all flavours (except gargoyles), and almost 60 stealers (along with 3 Broodlords). I have a Mycetic Spore, but don't own any Flyers except for two winged HTs.

Battalion 1
HQ: Flyrant, Neurothrope
Troops: 20x Termagant, 13x Termagant, 13x Termagant
Elite: 6x Hive Guard

Battalion 2
HQ: Broodlord, Malanthrope
18x Stealers, 18x Stealers, Ripper Swarm

I feel good about this list as a re-entry point. For 2000 points I will fill up some of the troop choices, and add more big bugs - two Exocrines and/or a Tyrannofex.

My last couple of games I always ran Jormugandr, with a Trygon and Broodlord plus full stealers in the tunnel. I'm hoping running 36 stealers across the table will work, but with Malanthrope and double Catalyst in the list, I hope at least some of them will see some action.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 8, 2019

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

PierreTheMime posted:

This looks pretty solid. I might recommend swapping one devoured off the Hive Tyrant for Monstrous Rending Claws. Tyrants are fantastic harassers and MRCs shred through a lot of units. You can fly in, lock a unit from acting normally on their turn, so some damage and then leave on your own terms. Since Flyers can shoot after falling back and Kraken can assault, you effectively can leave combat with no penalty and jump elsewhere. This also saves you 14pts.
Thanks, will do!

quote:

You cannot attempt to cast any power (aside from Smite) more than once in a given Psychic phase, sadly. While The Horror and Catalyst are obvious choices, Paroxysm is a great defensive power. Cast it on units your Genestealers haven’t reached yet so they can’t run in to support in assault without getting shredded first themselves.

Ah, forgot about that. I'll shuffle the powers around in that case, there's enough psykers in the list.

One (hopefully) last question: building on the above list, I made a 2.000 points list by adding two Exocrines and a Tyrannofex w/ Acid spray; just had to get rid of a few 'gaunts to make it fit.

With quite a lot of shooting, I'm tempted to switch one of the Batallions over to Kronos for the sweet sweet rerolls. Trouble is, as far as I understand it, that would essentially split my synapse creatures down the middle, and mean that only one half of the army would benefit from the Malanthrope, is that correct? Do you guys usually mix and match hivefleets, or stick with one?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
After getting some help in optimizing my Tyranid 1.500 point list right here in this very thread, I got in my first game yesterday!

Batallion 1:
Flyrant w/ Devourers, Rending Claws; Warlord (damage reduction trait), Relic (Chamelionic Mutation), PSI: The Horror and Paroxysm
Neurothrope, PSI: Psychic Scream
14 Hormagaunts
10 Termagants
18 Termagants, 4 with Devourers

Batallion 2:
Broodlord w/Ymgarl Factor Relic (-1CP), PSI: Catalyst
Malanthrope
18 Genestealers, with 4 Acid Maws
18 Genestealers, with 4 Acid Maws
3 Ripper Swarms
6 Hive Guard with Impaler Cannons (4 proxied; 3 are on the painting table)

I was matched against this gorgeous Imperial Fists army:

Captain Lysander
Psyker in Terminator Armor
Captain in Terminator Armor
2x 5 Scouts
10-Man Tac Marines w/ Plasma and Heavy Plasma
5-Man Tac Marines w/ Rocket launcher
Tremor Artillery w/ Techmarine
Land Raider Crusader
3 Centurions, deployed in Land Raider
Land Speeder
5 CP (spent 3 on upgrading his Captain)

My opponent had already set up a standard mission for us, which involved capturing 5 symmetrical Objectives on the Board. Each Round, they would be scored after the second player’s turn; at the start of the round, we would roll which Objective would give 2 instead of 1 VP, on a 6 all would score 2 VP’s.

DEPLOYMENT

I had to deploy first but got first turn. He spent CP’s to give his army +1 to armor saves. I deployed both units of Stealers in one blob with the Malanthrope and Brood Lord in tow; I had first thought about splitting them up, but wanted to keep the HQ’s relevant for both units. Hive Guard deployed behind a house, the chaff (Hormies and Termagants) took my objective markers. Big Termagant blob walked up the middle with a Neurohtrope in tow. WHT and Rippers deep strike.

He deployed defensively, using one unit of scouts to block my ‘stealer movement in. The Land Raider was kept out of LOS, all marines were deployed in cover.

TURN 1

Die roll comes up on 6 - all objectives score 2 points this round.
I run up most of my stuff with advances. I spent CP to double the advance of one stealer unit, advancing a cool 20”.
Psi Phase, Catalyst goes up on the stealers in the back, and the Neurothope kills some Marines.
Shooting phase, the Hive Guard split their fire. With his cover saves, I don’t bother with the Land Raider, but I take out the Land Speeder and get the Tremor gun down to one wound. I spend 2 CP’s to shoot again, splitting fire again and figuring that 2 Hive Guard will kill the Tremor gun – I was too greedy here, leave it alive and kill 3 more Marines in cover.
Charge Phase, this is where it gets interesting. I charge one unit of Scouts with 18 stealers, wipe them out and then encircle a member of the other Scout unit so he can’t leave the melee next round. As my opponent is a more experienced 40k player, he helped me out a lot with the positioning here. Classy guy!

His turn, he maneuvers his Marines as a charge shield, disembarks the Centurions and starts shooting. He wipes out the big Termagant blob in the middle, and then puts the LRC fire into the second stealer unit, only killing 3 of them thanks to Malanthrope, 5++, Feel No Pain and some Pro Dice Rolling by me. Tremor gun shoots at the same unit and he uses CP to halve their movement next turn. The melee wipes out the second Scout squad.

I hold three objectives, he only one, so it’s 6-2 for me.

TURN 2
Objective 3 will score double this turn. It’s a building in my deployment zone with 10 Gaunts in it. Hooray!
My opponent is very boxed in and on the backfoot. My stealers move to charge his Marines and Psyker, potentially engaging the Land Raider later. The other stealer unit hobbles forward. The Ripper Swarm Deep Strikes Objective 2, while the WHT deep strikes behind enemy lines. The Neurothrope wipes out three more marines in the PSI Phase. WHT puts The Horror on the Land Raider. Catalyst goes up on the Stealers who want to go into melee (have to spend a CP on a reroll here).

In the shooting phase, the Hive Guard concentrate fire on the Centurions, but thanks to a nearby captain giving them +1 to saves, they only manage to take out one, despite me spending 2 CP on another round of shooting. The WHT tries to shoot the Tremor gun, which got healed up last round, and once again leaves it on one wound. The stealers charge the Marines and Psyker, while the WHT fails to charge the tremor gun. I wipe out the Marines and leave the Psyker on one wound. Crucial mistake here – I could have spent one CP on implant attacks (Psyker suffers a mortal wound on 2+) to kill him, then engage the Land Raider with at least one Stealer.

His turn, my buddy is itching to shoot Xeno scum. 5-man squad of marines moves on the Ripper Swarms at Objective 2, while the rest of the army more or less stays put. The Psyker falls back out of the melee. Lysander would love to shock onto the Hive Guard, but I spread out some of my termagants and hormagants to leave him no landing space, so he shocks into his own deployment near the WHT. The Land Raider sinks all its shots into the Stealers in front of him, but thanks to Catalyst, 5++ saves and his -1 to hit from The Horror he only kills 5-6 of them. The Centurions have to mop up the rest. Lysander goes in on the Hive Tyrant, but leaves him on two Wounds. The Marines on Objective 2 only deal a single wound on my brave Ripper Swarms.

I hold 3 objectives, including the one that counts double, while he holds 2. The score is 10-4.

TURN 3

We roll for the scenario, and once again one of my firmly entrenched Objectives will score double. We look at the board state – I can wipe out his Marines on Objective 2 easily (14 stealers vs. 4 Marines), and he has nothing that can get there. I will score 4, maybe even 5 points this round, while he can only score 1. Even if the game goes on, it doesn’t look all that good for him. As it’s already midnight on a work day, we decide to call it quits. Victory for the swarm!

AFTERTHOUGHTS
Getting to play with 13 CP was worth the added investment in some additional troops and a Neurothrope. I looked up which Stratagems would help my gameplan the most beforehand, and kept looking for opportunities to make the most of them. I made good use of rerolls, double Advance and double shooting turns, but sadly forgot implant attacks. I’m not sure adding the Malanthrope at this low point level was clever, as it’s strictly support for almost 1/10th of my points. The WHT also didn’t really do much this game, but that's on me and my bad positioning. Thanks to the stealers, my output and board presence was way better than I anticipated, although I will add some more big guns (Exocrines and Tyrannofex) for 2.000 points. The three-die advance and double advance stratagems where so good that I’ll stick with Kraken for the time being.

Getting a game of 40K in felt great! I usually focus on other Tabletops (Guild Ball at the moment), but the setting and miniatures of 40K always draw me back. I’ve been collecting and painting this army for over 10 years now, and even though the paint scheme is as basic as it gets (dipping was all the rage when I started painting them), I’m happy that I managed to keep the look and the feel of the army consistent over the years. The itch is back - the three Hive Guard (which arrived just two hours before the game and where glued together in a hobby frenzy) have already received their first coat of paint ;)

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Had my first 2k game (against Demons) on monday. He had three Nurgle Plague Flies that I wanted to keep from charging my gunline. I shot 6 Hive Guard (so 12 shots S8), an Exocrine (12 shots S7), then spent CP for another round of Hive Guard shooting. He had spent CP to give the Flies a better save. After the dust settled, only a single fly had died. drat that sucked. As I didn’t properly screen my guns, he managed to charge the Hive Guard and Exocrine in his round, and popped up a Bloodthirster and 40 Bloodletters to clean up a flank and a 20-man squad of Stealers. The game was pretty much over after that. But it was fun, and I learned a valuable lesson. Also, it owned to see my big bugs on the table.

For my next games, I’ll ditch the Malanthrope. The -1 to hit is good, but the aura is small with 3” and 140 points is very steep. I’d rather put the points towards, say, a Flyrant.

The 40k bug has bitten me hard, and I spent half the weekend in a hobby frenzy. I painted up a Zoanthrope and 3 Hive Guard, based all Genestealers who hadn’t been based yet (around 12), and built and magnetized a second Flyrant and a Tyrannofex out of the Apocalypse Spearhead box. Once the Tyrannofex and Flyrant are painted, I’ll be at a spot where I can run a bunch of viable lists, all fully painted and based.

Oh yeah, it was rather frustrating to see his Demon Prince eat my Tyrannofex with ease, doing ridiculous amounts of damage in close combat, while I struggle to take Land Raiders off the table.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
@xtothez sounds bad, but looks dope!

A buddy of mine also has Admech, wirh sn emphasis on Knights and big armored stuff. We haven't played yet, and I cringe at the very thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I haven't played for a couple of months, and feel like taking my Tyranids out for a spin. With additions in Psychic Awakenings and point changes in Codex Approved, is there anywhere to parse all the information from different sources in one place? Like a fanmade page of all the Stratagems, for example.