Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Maneck posted:

I have a copy in my cart, when to check out, was told that I had insufficient vouchers to pay for it (I have more than enough), and now it wont' let me check out.

Also, I'm not sure if the French version was sold out instantly, or if they literally didn't make any copies available in Canada.

I was looking at it at 10:20 and it seemed to be fine in Canada but I changed my mind because maybe dropping $230 on a box of minis when I only started looking getting into it a few days ago is jumping in too fast. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I kinda want to dip my toes into warhams and I was thinking BAs done up as local sad boys the Lamenters (or just play it as straight successor) would be cool. My local GW store is still taking pre-orders for Indomitus. How dumb would it be to just preorder now and then figure out if I want to pick up or just return in a couple weeks? Or even just grab it and then if I decide I don't have the time or will to assemble and paint just sell the box? There's a lot of choppy Marines in that box...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh actually the GW Store just has a hold list for release weekend so zero committment, put my name down for it.

I love the dumb Lamenter fluff although I'm not a big fan of primary yellow colour scheme but drat your sad lads look really slick.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

That is more or less my point, as the poster I originally responded to seemed disappointed that the box he purchased wasn't explicitly a "starter." I think it's a fine entry point with a second rulebook for a pair of people to split, even though it is a limited launch box rather than the starter that will carry through the whole edition. I guess you don't end up with two of the chapter approved books, and the data sheets for both sides are in the same book, but there will (presumably) shortly be new codices for Marines and Necrons.

It would be interesting to see the DI sprues mixed back in with the exclusive Indomitus sprue to make a new starter. You could easily get:

Gravis Captain
5x Intercessors
5x Hellblasters
3x Inceptor

Along with

Primaris Chaplain
Judicator
3x Bladeguard
Bladeguard Standard bearer
3x Eradicator

As a beefy starter that would encourage people to buy both new and old models to flesh out their units. 23 models makes a good half for a starter box. DI had 22 space marines, for example.

I haven't even started collecting yet (aside from this freebie Intercessor that the GW shop gave me) but I'm here for every time someone gets Judiciar incorrect

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Trying to decide if I want to do a successor to Blood Angels, Raven Guard or Salamanders. Blood Angels are the choppiest and you get to go over the top with the angelic theme but a lot of their bread and butter are old models like Sanguinary Guard and Death Company that would need some kitbashing to look the same size as all the Primaris coming out. Raven Guard are slightly less strong in melee but their shenanigans let you get less mobile models like the Justiciar into range quickly plus they have great black and blue colour scheme options. Salamanders are green (booo) but get hilarious boosts to flamers and meltas and Eradicators are a thing now. The latter two chapters can mostly get by with just Primaris models which is handy for a newbie like me. Any suggestions?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lungboy posted:

What's wrong with green :colbert: ?

Salamander green is so bright and garish as a primary colour. I know you can just paint a Successor and play as the originals but I feel like you gotta keep some of the spirit of the original somewhere. You can dial back the intensity of the green but then you kinda look like loyalist Death Guard...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

If you're doing a successor, you can do your own color scheme entirely. Green Blood Angels, Red Raven Guard, or Blue Salamanders, the choice is up to you. You could do something like the Crimson Fists where the chapter symbol is just a recolor of the parent chapter or make something entirely new.

If you're taking suggestions, the Ultima Founding has a bunch of Primaris only successor chapters founded at the start (?) of the Indomitus Crusade. The Necropolis Hawks have a pretty cool and unique color scheme and are specified as Raven Guard successors.

Oh yeah I was looking at Raven Guard successors for ideas and I liked the Necropolis Hawks and Raven's Watch a lot so I might just play around with those colours.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Inceptors going down in point costs makes me feel like I should grab those cheap Dark Imperium cast offs before they all vanish from ebay

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I found a Know No Fear box discounted on a Canadian store (which ends up being MSRP from the cost of shipping). 100 CAD (73 USD) worth it to go with my Indomitus box if I want some Inceptors and regular Intercessors? I don't know if Hellblasters are any good and the Captain can always be converted into a Smash Captain right?

Also, I guess there's like Death Guard sprues in there... I guess.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's funny to me that tiny marines are having one last hurrah by getting to take Termie armour out for a spin at 0 point change because everyone else is a big boi now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
ok fine, xbox green marines are cool

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

OhDearGodNo posted:

Okay, rant.

gently caress these point changes hurt my army. Almost everything I use has had the points increase.

Anyone who’s seen me play the scars know that it’s a very tricky army to use effectively. Other chapters are somewhat rounded or forgiving, but so much of an effective WS army depends on timing the charge just right.

I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone even hint that anything in my army was OP, except one in which even I said and that’s a Captain/LT buffer Executioner on turn one. I don’t even do that anymore.

The only thing I found on the list that had a point decrease was the Land Speeder Storm. What the gently caress am I going to use that for? Especially now that scouts are +3 points... I might as well have used Intercessors are a tax.

Ok that’s my one rant for 2020.

Hey now, Plasma Inceptors are 9 points cheaper

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wonder if White Scar Assault Termie bombs will become more attractive now that everything around them got more expensive while they stay the same.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Was thinking of non Space Marine armies to get into and saw that Poxwalkers are out and Plague Marine futures are up which is cool cause I always liked Death Guard. Then I thought well I like the fluff but I really don't wanna stare at a puke green blob all the time then I came across this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/hqf2kh/mortarion_in_my_frozen_death_guard_theme/

So clearly I can just paint up DG as the Scourge instead

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 14, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

For more Death Guard painted in colors other than green, I would encourage you to show only posts by Forums user Giant Ethicist in the painting thread.

Oh heck yes

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I'm looking at Death Guard and Wraith focused armies as alternatives to jumping in on Space Marines. How poopy are Wraithguard focused lists looking? I ask, hands trembling over a $170 Wraithknight about to get creamed in one turn by a bunch of screaming barbarians with jetpacks

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kitchner posted:

Wraithlords should be fairly good now they can shoot in combat and punch people in second floors on ruins. Wraithguard? Not so much I think.

The problem with asking "as an alternative to space marines" tagged onto a question of "how good is this" the answer is nearly always don't do it stick to space marines. I know you probably mean you just don't want to be yet another SM player and want to pick something at least decent, but just wanted to make sure expectations are right.

Yeah I know what you mean and maybe Wraithstuff not a great choice but the Death Guard seem kinda cool and Myphitic Blight Haulers are good but more importantly cute!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I really like them all especially the Assault Intercessors. If I can say something though, the rightmost Eradicator looks kind of like a blob from afar because the weathering on the same coloured helmet breaks up the lines between the head and chest.

The Judiciar is sick tho

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Deptfordx posted:

Do they actually enforce the third party rule?

I mean maybe they care a bit about it at Warhammer World, but I can't see the average GW manager trying to run one of their stores giving a poo poo short of someone literally waving it in their face while boasting about it.

GW stores want to be able to tell people "if you want that model, we have it on the wall over here!" because they host games as a form of advertisement of the product. Most managers don't care if it's not immediately very obvious just don't bring it up and no one will talk about it.

I can't imagine being told "sorry you can't play with those models" and then setting up to play anyway because that just comes off as weirdly sociopathic but I guess if you kept doing it they'll ban you from the store?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fashionly snort posted:

it's wild to me that every online site I can find is sold out of just about everything Necron related

Probably because the Indomitus box isn't looking great for them with current rules, heyo!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the bright side it should be fairly easy to grab Space Marine bits since smol marines are mostly interchangeable in the important bits with Primaris (the major differences are longer legs and longer/wider torsos) so there should be a pretty big surplus of bits out there on ebay and if you ask around

Meanwhile I'm looking to see if there are any Dark Imperium DG sides for a good price that don't cost $20 to ship to Canada because you literally can't get a Noxious Blightbringer anywhere else

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The idea is to buy Primaris Marines and an Impulsor so you don't have to do that but yes

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Are there any other cool infantry focused and non-horde armies out there aside from SM and Death Guard now? Sisters seem cool but lol $100 for a box of 10 Sisters and some of their best units are still rocking that 90s bondage aesthetic I'm not a fan of. Tau are cool but I have no idea how the points changes have affected their good stuff and it seems kind of scary to run a bunch of guys who can't throw a punch in the "stand and hold objectives" edition. Necrons are a bit up in the air since they should be getting a whole bunch of new stuff soon and their current stuff is either really neat or extremely goofy (sometimes both).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just to be clear you know sisters got a rerelease right? If you dont like their current aesthetic thats fine, just making it clear.

Eldar are an elite force but they kinda struggle as an infantry force atm. Custodes are probably gonna be a great infantry army since the point adjustment was pretty kind to them.

Necrons are probably a good call regardless because after the indomitus box ebay will be flooded with cheap necrons.

Yeah I do and I love the way Sisters in Power Armour look but I'm not really down with Penitent Engines, Repentia, Arco-Flagellants etc

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You should still be able to find Know No Fear boxes lying around in places and if eBay doesn't have good prices on DG Dark Imperium halves then you can always wait for the inevitable Start Collecting box. DI is the only source of a Noxious Blightcaller model though which is rough (and a good reason to assume a Start Collecting box would just be the DG half of DI).

Kitchner posted:

Normal like space marines are by far the strongest army with all the best tools? Or normal like the Iron Hands invincible dreadnought? Or normal like the couple of years where apace marines were sort of worthless and not worth playing?

There's some sort of promised land in which everything is perfectly balanced and all the codices frolic together in harmony but I don't think I've ever seen it. Arguably these points costs may bring us further from that promised land than immediately prior but this thing is sort of granular. Everything is going to be out of whack for a while and the only thing that will be almost certainly true is the Marine players that make up half the player base will be fine.

According to playtester youtubers 9E was tested with all the Codex rules and points and is quite good but that's an unprovable statement at this point and sounds suspiciously like "it'll get better I promise"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gonna Wait and See for what the new Codex looks like before I decide if I wanna go all in on a rip and tear Novokh list

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I already liked breachers in 8th, but their ‘danger close’ role, maybe even with the invuln guardians drone, seem good for 9th with the emphasis on holding stuff and smaller boards. I honestly don’t think we’ll know an answer to how the super high level tournament competitive stuff works out anytime soon, and it also depends on the rest of your list, but for most games I think a mix of breachers and fire warriors should be good. Tau seem to be taking a bit of a hit by limited HQ slots in 9th, so they’ll either have to pay the command point tax, or make a brigade. Since they have cheap options for most unit categories, the troops is the main cost problem for a brigade. If you’re going that route, 3 fire warrior and 3 breaches seems the way to go for me, maybe even more breachers.

Something to note is that Breachers benefit more than Warriors from the Free Pistols change because of Point Blank Volley. Not exactly something you want to lean on but if the conditions are right it's kind of nuts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
1CP
POINT-BLANK VOLLEY

T’au Empire Stratagem

Some T’au perform complex drills in which they train to operate their weapons at extremely close range.

Use this Stratagem at the start of your Shooting phase. Select one <SEPT> unit from your army. Until the end of that phase, pulse blasters, pulse carbines and pulse rifles models in that unit are equipped with have the Type characteristic of Pistol 2. In addition, until the end of that phase, models in that unit cannot be affected by the Volley Fire ability.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yup, before it was just two shots from the Breacher (in the highest damage bracket) but now everyone's got free Pulse Pistols

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
VEHICLES that are also CHARACTERS do get protected by other units via Look Out, Sir so that's a thing

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hekk posted:

I played Warmachine a couple of times and did some 15mm ancients a decade ago. However, it's a pain in the dick trying to find people to play niche games against but there are always people playing 40k everywhere I've been.

I hate how expensive Games Workshop stuff is but I think some of the models look cool. I have considered just picking up a box set here and there and painting stuff up. If I get together a decent army in the process, so much the better. However, everything I read says Tau suck but I think they have super cool looking models. So I am conflicted about spending a ton of money on plastic dudes that are going to be poo poo and unfun to play games with if COVID ever goes away.

The Tau were fine in 8th and should be fine in the 9th. If you want to play in tournaments you'll probably have to lean on their really good units but against most people it'll come down to your play rather than any inherent weakness in your faction of choice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Vermintide was fun because Skaven are goofy. Chaos cultists are not funny! So I really hope they figure some other way of injecting some levity.

Shoulda been Orktide

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I will like to amend that if it's Chaos Undivided or they're straight up a Poxwalker infestation then we'll get Nurglings who are funny and cute so that might be ok

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Disagreed @ chaos not being funny. Khornates are the quintessential cliche of Warhammer ("KILL KILL RGGGGH"), Tzeentchians are an entire culture of heavily-mutated guys who frequently own themselves and then go "all according to plan", Nurgle is the patron god of jovial slobs who has toxic farts and vomit, and Slaanesh is (among all the serious obsessive pride stuff) the god of partying and sadomasochism to the point that it's a whole bit that Khorne can't truly own Slaanesh because he/they'd just get off on it.

Chaos can totally be funny.

This is more like meta commentary on Chaos itself than how it's portrayed in universe. Khornate demons and worshippers don't get "hee hee look how corny they are yelling about kill kill kill" in the text that's just us looking at them from the outside about how ridiculous they are.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JBP posted:

Left 4 Dead was amazing and I hope this can live up to it. I'm ready to grab my lasgun and get wrecked.

I like the guy holding the Plasma walking around all cocky-like, as if that'll save him from the tide

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Descriptions of Nurgle (and by extension his daemons, which are a part of his soul) often stress that he's a jovial figure ("Grandfather Nurgle") who views plagues as blessings and whose followers are often joyful about their horrific plights. He's absolutely characterized as a "funny fat guy", which aligns with the comfortable stagnation and nihilism he represents. Nurglings are like, totally goofy. There are official WFRP adventures that treat them as comic relief enemies.

Likewise, the Skaven are absolutely a terrifying existential threat to civilization in Fantasy and written to be (they're basically the winners of the End Times), they're just also goofy.

I think maybe the disconnect we're having is that Fantasy itself is less straight-faced most of the time than 40k.

Oh yeah I know all about Nurgle, Nurglings, GUOs, Beasts of Nurgle etc. It's the other parts of Chaos that don't strike me as something that can just make you laugh out loud in the middle of the Grimness

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So Ogryn, Guardsman, Admech and ???

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm seriously hoping that they complete their functional phase out of Smol Marines by leaving Termies as the only point efficient option and explaining it in the fluff as all the old variant marines having gone through enough attrition and replenishment with Primaris that they all have Terminator Honours by default because the suits would go unused otherwise.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Magic posted:

Quarantine is a hell of a thing.

Last month I splurged and bought a bunch of Gundam, and as I was building a Psycho Zaku (those of you unfamiliar, think red kinda space marine-looking dude with a full foot of rockets strapped to its back in the 1/100 scale) I needed to apply a water slide decal. So I wanted some Mr. Mark Settee and Softer and then topcoat to protect it...and if I’m going to topcoat, dammit, I should use use an airbrush...

A month later I have a craft table that I built from scratch, a spray booth, some paint and tools, and NOW have justified buying 40k for Kill Team because a.) my wife is on board with detailing what I prime and base coat and b.) I’d like a lot of practice in between painting Gundam, which take me a long time to prep (I sand each part individually and so on).

Anyway. Hello. You have a very nice hobby here and I’m excited about it. I’ve got some Space Wolves and some Deathwatch needing assembly (I loved the Deathwatch team of outcasts/elites lore and space wolves are just loving neat). My wife gets the Tau (I read they’re quite strong, and generally in board games I have a better strategic sense than her, so I thought it would be more fair?).

I guess what I’m saying is FOR THE EMPEROR

The important part is that the Tau have fully automated gay space socialism and their battlesuits might as well be gunpla

Well the Riptide and larger suits look kinda like Rick Diases

Ricks Dias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

When you're not mad, posting on the forums < --------------- > When you're Definitely not mad, posting on the forums

Werix posted:

Yeah, I just had my first experiments in magnetizing a hellbrute and a daemon prince. The hellbrute went great. The daemon prince I messed up and didnt drill deep enough, but I think I can position the pauldron at the right angle that shoulder joint will be mostly hidden.

This is what green stuff is for and it's even appropriate because Daemons are supposed to have unnatural proportions!