Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
This is an excellent OP. And I'm not just saying that because my mans are in it. Seriously awesome seeing all the stuff we've painted prettied up like that.

Cross posting from the painting thread for content:

General Olloth posted:

Painted my test model for my Tyranid scheme. I know I have parts that are not as clean as I want brush control wise but I'm new to painting these rounded edges everywhere and it takes more control than flat necron stuff.

Looking for C&C about colors/techniques before moving it on to the rest of the army. It's definitely vibrant on purpose because I wanted some strong color but I'm wondering if it's too intense. My goal was bone, teal, and red-orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TKIY posted:

Are the various deepstrike rules considered moving in the movement phase?

I'm wondering about a Tyrannofex with Fleshborer Hive, because that's 40 S5 AP -1 shots when it didn't move at 18".

Yeah they count as having moved. Check the "Reinforcements" section on the side of the Movement phase page.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Alokgen posted:

"Finished" this thing tonight. Real happy with it. May clean up some of the edge highlighting tomorrow. =\

This is done. Remove the quotes from finished. Work on the next model. You win this one.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Pendent posted:

There's a line in the Primaris book that comes with the starter set about all Space Marines that are in the same detachment needing to share a Chapter keyword, fyi.

This must be a mistake, because it's not in literally any of the other rules.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Staples will spiral bound your Index books for 6.99. I really like laying my stuff flat so it was worth it.

Care to show what this looks like with a photo? There is a staples down the road from my work so I might do this.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Wow worth it. Doing that this week.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Getting the covers laminated is something you could also think about, but with codexes in the pipe it might not be worth it for the indexes.

Yeah I'm not worried about that. I just want the book to stay open/to be able to fold it back without crunching it all up.

I do have some laminating sheets, cardstock, and a hole punch that I'm going to use to print the core rules for reference in my 3 ring binder I put all my other poo poo in.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

When people are playing games of 8th edition, what missions are you playing? So far I've played one each of Planetstrike, Eternal War, and Maelstrom and found the new Maelstrom missions to be much improved, but I suspect that games and experiences will differ greatly both while players are learning the new edition and also based on the mission played.

In particular, the Narrative Missions strike me as the most fun to play in the new edition, but I suspect that people are mostly playing the standard Eternal War/Maelstrom set.

Just been playing the non-tactical-objectives ones. The narrative ones look really fun, I think our group will actually try them once we get a couple more of the 'balanced' mission types in and get used to all our units in the new rules.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

How are these new morale rules playing out? Looks like MSU might suffer if they lose a dude, roll badly and *poof* rest of the squad disappears.

They mostly affect everyone, but in ways that change your strategy. So far in my games the only way morale has really mattered has been when a unit got almost killed and then the morale took care of the rest of it.
Morale keeps the game moving when you've clearly lost an engagement but otherwise everyone has ways to keep it in check.

Being able to spend 2 command points and then automatically pass and then fly away with your 1 Triarch Praetorian and then roll 5 5's and bring the squad back to 6 with 2 wounds each as a Necron was pretty fun. :getin:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Merton Blask posted:

Have done something similar, only with a warrior blob blasted down to 3 models and then coming back to 12 the next turn.

Aren't Praetorians fearless though? I don't have my codex on me, but I thought that was one of the big reasons to use them.

Yeah uhh sure enough they are fearless. Huh.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
It's not an excuse for the bad layout but building lists by hand is way easier if you run off a copy (from your epub or with a copy machine from your book) of the points page, and then have that open while going through the datasheets.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Just want to check, I assume the interpretation of the tyranid/ork/whatever rules that say things like "If this unit contains 20 or more models" then it doesn't apply if you have some in the unit die in the game itself, taking it below the number?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Yes. The moment it falls below the threshold the bonus no longer applies.

Upon comparison, it looks like the Triumvirate models are all primaris sized (cypher, etc).

Yeah I thought so.

I ordered the Tyranid Swarm box and it has 40 termagants and 40 hormagaunts. I should run blobs of 30/10 and not 20/20 if losing a single model drops the bonus right?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Keep in mind this isn't always true.

Plaguebearers get their bonus if you had 20 models at the beginning of the phase. Make sure to read your rules.

Yeah it doesn't say beginning here in the tyranids rules. It's a really short sentence that I guess you could argue the other way because it's a little vague but I assume the intent is that it's gone once you're below.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I haven't had the chance to play yet, but every battle report I've watched just wind up with a huge pile of melee by turn 2 no matter what kind of armies are used. Is this a problem people have run into? Is melee the winner over shooting this round?

People aren't used to the new rules. You want to actually deploy farther away from the center, fall back and kite regularly, and have a plan for getting to objectives later if you are a shooting army now. It doesn't HAVE to be a big melee ball.

If you play two assault armies then I guess that is likely if you don't have objectives spread out.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Yeah it was something else. I killed 15 warriors and the deceiver turn one. Turn two they melted most of the wraiths. Just forcing an ocean of mortal wounds is pretty good.

ETC is considering banning the HQ detachment because of garbage like this and Tau missile commanders.

The psyker spam has been destroying my necrons. I have no idea what to do about it, playing against death guard and he has a bunch of characters I can't target just unloading and deleting units every turn. I can't kill the stuff in front of them off enough with the disgustingly resilient.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

muggins posted:

At some point players are going to figure out how to put the most mortal wounds on the table and you're not going to want to play those people at all. Hopefully GW is really the new GW and doesn't put out tons of formations or new models Etc that just destroy with mortal wounds

Yeah I mean my reaction was to just bring c'tans for mortal wounds back so... It's not looking good for the meta. We'll see I guess.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

I have some updates on the painting experiment on the Dark Vengeance models I gave my mother, she's half-way through painting them so any feedback would be appreciated and next time I will try to use some better lighting conditions

Pretty much told her to focus on "rusty brass and/or silver" for this and to give red details where appropriate

Dark Vengeance tactical squad

One of the boxed set special characters I think? Honestly even though he's a Space Wolf he'd make a sick Chaos Lord

Those cheapo Russian six-dollar tanks on eBay actually paint up surprisingly nicely for their price and come with plenty of weapon options to choose from

Even looks kind of cool primed and un-painted

Honestly I can't really even see what is going on in these photos to give feedback. There is most likely a lack of good contrast on the models though because I can see pretty much nothing.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

panascope posted:

Played my first game of 8th, 100 PL Necrons vs Orks. Fun game but man Necrons feel like it's hard to kill much, at least with the stuff I've got. Lychguard are the shitttttt though.

I've found you really have to kite the orks and keep them out of assault as long as you can. Also, focus the boyz. They fall to pieces without them, and they aren't that hard to kill.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

I wonder how long they'll take to fix the Tigershark so it can actually fire the railgun.

Man these forgeworld books are pretty bad.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I think one of the funniest parts about rules missing for models they made (knarloc, mega dred) is that Tyranid Shrikes (and Sky-slasher swarms) have rules in the regular index, not even the forgeworld one.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I keep seeing people in this thread calling Dark Imperium snap-fit. It's not. You cannot assemble these models without glue.

Oh really? I thought it was only the bases that needed glue. I guess more of the parts do too?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Hey I'm going to a game store later this week, a different one that carries citadel and vallejo. Other than nuln oil, agrax, and reikland fleshshade my stuff is all P3. Anything I should pick up for my iron hands? I need some better metal highlights but they didn't have any vallejo metallics last time I went, and someone told me (panascope?) to get some crimson shade for my red cloths.

I personally don't like how shiny the vallejo game color metallics look. I much prefer the citadel ones, they look like brushed aluminum or something instead. Necron compound is pretty nice actually, that was my gateway drug to citadel metallics.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
The lychguard models are rad.

Ignore the dirty cheap plastic outdoor table, there was blinding sun (any sun) in Seattle yesterday and I braved the heat for a minute to take a nice natural light photo.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

All the Necron infantry models are excellent. I really love the plastic overlord doing his dramatic pose with the scythe and orb.

The warriors kinda irritate me just because of two things:
The heads have a really stupid spot on the sprue (Attach to the inside curve of the cheeks) and the two gun halves do not line up the little radiator lines, there is pretty much no way to fix it.

Otherwise yeah everything looks great.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Same. It's a real bummer, too. When I was talking to my local manager about using 3rd party icons on my dudes and playing on his tables, he said it's fine but not to make a big deal about it, because GW is kinda sensitive about people riding their coattails.

I mentioned I would have loved to buy HG shoulder pads, but the only option at the moment is to individually buy the deathwatch ones.

If they don't jump on what shapeways is doing and create icons that just glue onto the pads, they're foolish.

What's the difference between this and making them yourself? Is personally sculpted and casted stuff allowed?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Darius099 posted:

So I have a question for the experienced 40k people here. I have read over some of the stuff in the new edition and I am thinking that many of the things I didn't like have been corrected and I now know some people to play with who don't suck, so I'd like to get involved again.

Awhile back, I got a deal on some inexpensive still-in-box stuff for the Necrons. Specifically I have (still in the box):

• Necron Battleforce (20 Necron Warriors 5 Necron Canoptek Scarab Swarms 5 Necron Immortals/Deathmarks 1 Necron Ghost Ark/Doomsday Ark)
  • Triarch Stalker
  • Necron Catacomb Command Barge/Annihilation Barge

I'm also really interested in the Dark Eldar and the Adeptus Mechanicus.

So I guess my questions are (for each of these three factions):

• Is there anything that I MUST HAVE?
  • Is there anything I should ABSOLUTELY AVOID?
  • Is there anything I should know about playing each of these three factions? Play styles, what is cool or unique about them, what to expect, etc?

I appreciate any advice and guidance, I only played many years ago, and when I did I played Imperial Guard Catachans (back when Sly Marbo popped up out of the ground like the goddamned Kool-Aid Man) so I don't have much frame of reference.

If you play the necrons, I would add another box of immortals and do 10 immortals and 20 warriors. Reanimation protocols is at its best when you have a max-sized unit. You can magnetize the annihilation/command barge if you really want, but I think you might be OK in 8th just building the annihilation barge and the overlord.

You might want to chop up the overlord and call him a cryptek, because crypteks are nearly mandatory. Otherwise, you can use him to buff the Tesla weapons on the immortals to get 3 shots on 5s and 6s instead of just 6s.

The ghost ark and doomsday ark both seem to be really good, so you can do what you want with that. Some people magnetize it in ghost-ark mode and then put the cannon in the top instead of underneath, but it seemed like a huge pain in the rear end to me putting in the 10 infantry magnets. However, really make sure you follow the instructions on it. You want to glue two rib halfs together, and let that dry for a couple hours. Then, when you glue rib halfs together, you can use the first one that is very dry and solid as a guide. You can twist on each rib you make and hold while it dries so that it lines up, without glueing the actual ribs together. This will get you a set of ribs that line up perfectly, while leaving them unglued from each other for painting. Make sure you paint all the subassemblies before you finish the model, and definitely keep the contact points at critical parts (where the main cylinder channel of ribs and body glue together) free from paint. You can just scrape it at the end.

If you do that, you shouldn't have any issues gluing it together at the end and it will all line up nice. It's a relatively labor intensive model but if you go in with a plan it won't necessarily frustrate you.

I haven't run the stalker yet. Overall 8th mostly lets you play whatever looks cool so far. I've found a way to use just about everything. Max squad sizes on necron infantry are one of the few exceptions to this.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I imagine the problem would be money changing hands over stuff using their IP. So sculpting your own is fine, selling them to someone else is verboten.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah. Personal stuff is fine, but I guess if you pay a company it's different. Unfortunately, GW isn't as clear as I'd like them to be on this.

My point is kinda that how are they gonna know.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Darius099 posted:

Thank you! This is good advice to build off of for the Necron. What are they like to play?

Now I just need some similar info about the Dark Eldar and Adeptus Mechanicus

The necrons are tricky so far. You will not survive against dedicated assault, you need to kite. You also need to make sure your squads don't get wiped out, so that they can reanimate. In 7th, you might just march down the map and ignore strategy with your infantry, but you need to actually take cover and hide at times here. They can actually die.

You also are stuck with 2 foot range on almost everything in the army still. (Exceptions are 72" on the doomsday ark, which is nice to get some downrange firing, and 36" on the heavy gauss cannon that you can get on a couple units, including the stalker)

This means you are in that sweet spot where you need to be close for rapid fire but don't want to be assaulted. Positioning is really important. You have to be careful about going for objectives immediately. You should only go for rapid fire range if you are pretty sure you can kill the thing within a foot of you (or if it's not an assault unit of any kind.)

Throw in monolith and/or night scythes for deep striking and teleporting infantry in, and you can shore up this weakness a little bit, just be careful you're not dropping them close to dedicated assault units.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Gotta shift that old Typhus stock somehow before they resculpt him.

Yeah, and then also the new Typhus stock when they do resculpt him.

I've been letting my buddy just proxy one of his lord of contagions anyway as Typhus. Good enough.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

Mixing characters into units mostly. Lots of people think you have to conga-line your mobs back towards their buffers. You don't. Just put the buffers inside the mob, there's nothing that says you can't.

If you want to be pedantic, you can't move through your own models.

So you have to move like a U shape forward from the mob, and then the character up the middle, because they are separate movements.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

If they wanted to make blasts and flamers work without actual templates, they could've at least tossed some modifiers in. Like a battle cannon could be d6+2 or a plasma cannon d3+1, whatever. You still need to roll to hit, so it's not like they'd necessarily transfer into more hits every time, but it'd help hedge some bets. A simple d6 is way too swingy and I am really disappointed in blast weapons across the board.

Even if the odds end up being roughly the same as the old system I think the real problem is how you end up with an extra random roll layer to replace the scatter and then still roll to hit anyway. I'd rather it be like d6 automatic hits or 2d3 or something for everything besides just flamers. Increase the points cost if that's too good but make it feel better at least. We're rolling to hit twice before also rolling to wound and then also them possibly getting an armor save (and then also them possibly getting feel no pain).

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TKIY posted:

So I played AoS skirmish with my kids this weekend, and we are going to try 300-500pts of 8th soon. My daughter has a Start Collecting box for Space Wolves (awuuu) and my son likes evil space skeleton robbits. So what's a good starting point for Necrons? The Start Collecting box I assume is also decent?

I'll likely flesh them out into a full list at some point to use myself as well, so even though I want a small army right now I'd like decent choices to grow on, and I really know nothing about Crons.

One start collecting box is probably fine but I don't think you'll need more than one overlord in these rules ever. So far all the units I've tried have been useful in some way, buy whatever your son thinks looks cool. Try to get max squad size for infantry for reanimation protocols.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

TOXICRENE COMPLETE!

I got yer Howling Griffon right here :clint:

Rear shot

Close-up!

This looks fantastic. I'm doing a similar scheme and now I'm excited to build and paint something bigger than my test Gargoyle.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Texmo posted:

I wouldn't expect any new releases of Regular Marines simply because they already have good recent kits for their whole range already, and don't have any gaps to fill for new releases.

The thing that kind of sucks about Primaris is that, by fluff, they all have the exact same armor, so you don't get the cool thing regular marines have of mix/matching different marks of armor to customize your dude, you've just got a bunch of identical clonetroopers, and they remind me a little bit of sigmarines in that regard.

Until they just add more fluff for new armor?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Texmo posted:

I think go for the magnets, because while I've painted mine, I'm using tamiya plastic glue which is completely melting and welding the plastic together; there's just such a small join and, more annoyingly, a long drying time in which the heavy model will move around from where you wanted to put it.
Thanks for the idea; I will likely go and get some magnets for this if I can't get it to stay put after a couple more tries.
I can't stand magnetizing regular dudes because of Droopy Arm Syndrome, but they're ideal for jetbikes and other flying stuff, and these stupid stems practically demand them.

I don't have these models so I don't know exactly but for something similar to that, I glued it upside down (because the base is far lighter) and then used poster putty to hold it in place while it dries where I want it. I do this a lot actually.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Got a rules question:
A hive crone has a minimum move of 10" and a maximum of 30". It doesn't fly high, isn't hard to hit, can charge, can be charged, etc. If it is in close combat at the start of its owner's turn, is it forced to leave combat thanks to its minimum move?

It says "If a model cannot make its minimum move, or is forced to move off the battlefield because of its minimum speed, it is destroyed and removed from the battlefield – the model has either stalled and crashed or been forced to abandon the battle."

To me, that sounds like it has to fall back every time, regardless of the fact that it normally would get the 'option' to fallback or remain stationary.

I think this is pretty stupid honestly, I don't know what they were thinking with the flyer rules.

It's less of a problem, but I also don't understand the 90 degree turn stuff combined with the minimum move and not being able to fly off the map. You basically have to fly in a square, you can't really ever turn less than 90 degrees or you will start to be unable to stay in the center of the map anymore. It felt really stupid just flying my night scythe in a predictable square the whole game. If my opponent realized what was happening he could have just spread out over one of the sections and I wouldn't be able to fly there and I would have just crashed due to orks being below me.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

glitchkrieg posted:

One of the people at my club has made a Kickstarter that could be useful for 8E - Woundwang*

Simple wound tracking for characters/monsters/vehicles.

* I cringed when he called it that

Let's rotate the board!

( https://youtu.be/qjOZtWZ56lc )

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I meant more that if you're playing Death Guard, you'd need both books.

That actually depends, because if there is "death guard only" faction stuff like stratagems and such (Which there is) that you want to use, you might be OK with just that book. You only need the main chaos book if you want to mix in Black Legion (or whatever you want to call your non-deathguard legion that is part of your army.)

EDIT: Actually I guess it depends on if the data sheets for cross stuff is duplicated between them but it kinda sounds like it is? We'll see.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, we might see the generic stuff like rhinos reprinted in the death guard book.

Yeah dropped a line on the facebook post to see if we can get that cleared up. Seems possible since the points are separate. They could even cost stuff separate for different factions that way.