Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

HardCoil posted:

You have to be "on a ruin" in order for it to provide cover. Here we are "next to" a house.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian here, I would like to think that this may be so obvious they don't need to spell it out, but 4.3 directly state that you don't need to see the target at all.

You read it all correct. It seems that the intent of the base rules was to make it very very very simple. You can tell they realized this makes a lot of terrain you might have useless so when you get the advanced rules and see things the imperial statue and barricades and such.

I think it would be nice if they used 'generic impassable or obstruction terrain' instead of 'imperial statue' as an example of how to add some purpose to other terrain you might have, but it basically also says "Apply these types of rules to your terrain as agreed upon by your opponent".

As someone said above, you can just count stuff at using the statue rules if it's not enterable ruins. This may be still a little obtuse (Why doesn't the ruin give cover unless you're in it?) but it at least adds some depth to terrain types without slowing things down. The first few times you play you kinda go what the gently caress is up with cover now though. I feel like they could have done a better job listing more stuff that should probably get the statue profile. Also you know, since it's not explicit, I hope you have cool opponents who agree about needing 100% LOS blocking terrain being stupid.

chutche2 posted:

4.3 is for wound allocation, not for attacking.

3.2:
In order to target an enemy unit,
a model from that unit must be within
the Range of the weapon being used (as
listed on its profile) and be visible to the
shooting model.

Yeah but the line of sight only comes into play targeting the UNIT, not the model. You shoot at a UNIT. You can wipe out a squad of 30 if a single dick is sticking out around a corner with the base rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Its not that simple though because they actually give rules for a common large terrain piece, hills, and it specially spells out that there is no way to get cover from them. The only thing they can do is block LOS.

Well what I was saying wasn't that simple, I think that is part of the point. They tried to make it very simple.

The extra layer I would add to that point, considering all the hills I've seen around FLGS are only taller than like 6 models in the entire game especially with scale creep, is that the hills rules are also bad.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

I'm pretty sure that like nobody in this thread actually purchased the indices because they were already available as leaks like two weeks before the actual release lol

I bought them because I play xenos. I assume my codexes will be next year. If not, well. $20 each tax for finally getting xenos updates fast.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

So I guess everyone's going to ignore the solid boost in melee capability and just focus on the slight drop in ranged efficiency? Biglys are fine. Right now they're suffering from a lack of options and the need for normal marines to shore up the holes in an army, but I expect that to change quite a bit with the actual codex. Intercessors might stay bolters only, but there will be other unit types to help out.

Yeah with how much assaults are back in play you can't totally ignore offense-as-defense assaulting strength.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean the squatting marines. The small marines. Whatever the gently caress you want to call them opposed to bigmars.

They all look like they are taking a poo poo. Pooscale Marines?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Hmm. Seems like Khorne Daemonkin lists aren't really legal anymore.

Sure they are, you just don't get new shiny codex rules yet for them.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
So I'm looking at the Dark Eldar range online and why is half the plastic kits webstore exclusive? That's kinda stupid?

Were they selling that badly?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Resin kits generally get taken from physical stores, due to resin being a pain to work with. Eldar aren't getting amalgamated any time soon.

They are plastic ones though, which look decent quality.

Reavers, which are in the start collection box: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Eldar-Reavers
Ravager, https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Eldar-Ravager
Hellions, https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Eldar-Hellions
Razorwing, https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Eldar-Razorwing-Jetfighter

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Do any of you guys ever play music while hamming it up with your friends for garagehammer? I have a couple soundtracks that I rotate, so i thought I'd share. I use:

- The Dawn of War II soundtrack by Doyle W. Donehoo. He also did one called The Wages of Treason which is really epic and appropriate for Warhammer.
- The Starship Troopers soundtrack, obviously.
- Lastly, sometimes when I'm playing against my friends Guard army i'll throw on The Best of the Red Army Choir. He very much appreciates it.

Command and Conquer soundtracks. I mean, of course.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Yeast posted:

The same could be said about psykers.

Don't take them and see what happens when you have no counter to an entire phase of the game.

There's nothing wrong with flyers, they're part of every army. In addition, when you play someone who doesn't have one - it's even easier.

There are two entire armies without any psykers though. :confused:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Yeast posted:

Pacific North West goons:

I'm travelling to Portland and Seattle in a few days from Australia, and need to buy a bunch of 40K stuff because, well, cheap.

Are there any good independent stockists in Oregon that you can recommend for me to buy from?

Cheers

I go to Mox Boarding House in Seattle but its stock gets stripped out pretty bad since 8th. It doesn't have a large section to begin with.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Not sure about 40k in particular but Card Kingdom in Seattle is great for most gaming stuff.

Yeah they rebranded to Mox Boarding House to match the other location. Good store overall.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

not my work

:drat:

This is perfect.

For something resembling content: I heard this thread likes clean Tyranids. Soon I will have photos of 20 gaunts and 20 gants with which I am murdering space marines with, clean and shiny. :getin:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Booley posted:

I only have 10 painted tactical marines, and don't really want to buy the heresy books until they release angelus. Plus, nobody at my local store plays 30k. Unless PNW crew is in the Seattle area?

People play 30k at Meeples in West Seattle I'm pretty sure. Some of those people on that facebook group are goons I think although I don't know which is which. I joined the group but I haven't gone in there still. In about a month I'll be moving down to Burien and then I'll probably hit up Meeples more often.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

The Bee posted:

This is AoS, not 40k (I swear, they're pushing Nurgle to the moon this year), but this might be what we have to look forward to with those multi-legged slug creatures.

I can't say I'm the biggest fan. I like goofy in my hams, and it still looks really goofy.

What is it plowing? :confused:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Milotic posted:

That guy comes across as a bit annoying, but those rules are designed so you can tie up a unit and they can't shoot you next phase if the other unit falls back. You can't harm them in CC, they can harm you in CC, but they can't shoot you, unless they have fly or are loving ultramarines. It's nice, and encourages big squads, providing a nice counterbalance to just taking minimum sized units.

It also encourages you to actually put some guys around your characters even though they can't literally join the unit. (In addition to the heroic intervention rule)

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

No? Index + Chapter Approved if you haven't had a Codex yet, otherwise Codex.

Technically you could need index for OOP models that don't make it to codex, codex, and chapter approved for extra stuff including the vehicle rules.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

richyp posted:

It's so lonely in the Rhinox Hide base trim club.

EDIT:

On my next base rim I guess.

I use P3 Cryx Bane Base for my necron base trim. It's just enough to add color while still being basically black. Rhinox Hide would be good too I think if I want to go for a brown colors base.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
The pace they are actually releasing new models and rules is high enough that I'm currently not too nervous about armies I play getting new stuff.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I take it you don't play xenos then. :v:

I play necrons and tyranids actually.. so I'm getting a codex at least soon.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

richyp posted:

Almost done painting Sigmar stuff, trying to decide what spacemans to purchase and throw paint over next: Genestealer Cult stuff or Militarum Tempestus (with some Inquisition stuff). Leaning towards the latter because Berets are totally not camp :britain:

Voting genestealer cults for the purely selfish reason that I want to see your lovely painting applied to those amazing sculpts.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

panascope posted:

Post your titans you filthy loving nerds

:confused:

Also I'm waiting on some material to arrive in the mail to finish the base.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

I am gonna find the dude who designed the Termagant sprue and force them to clean the mould lines off an entire warehouse full of gant boxes.

On the positive side I have a much greater appreciation of the Marines sprues now.

Just wait until you glue the halves together and look at that huge gap on the butt.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Butt gap? I was pretty disappointed with the gaps in general but I don’t see a way for there to even be a butt gap. Unless that’s something that happens to the push-fit ones?

I mean the back leg, on the one of the two styles of bodies (also let's take a minute to complain that there is only two body styles) the gap is ludicrous. One hind leg looks nothing like the other.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Haha, I’m sure it can’t be that bad. Lemme just go look at these again...

oh my god

It cannot be unseen.

Enjoy doubling your modelling time with gap fill that doesn't end up looking any better.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

The Bee posted:

Is it Hormagants or Termagants packing the butt gap?

Both do actually, but one of the termagant ones is especially bad.

Let me photo a second hand model I just bought to show everyone.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

General Olloth posted:

Both do actually, but one of the termagant ones is especially bad.

Let me photo a second hand model I just bought to show everyone.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

For the people who were asking for official colour schemes:

Hydra looks gorgeous with the black carapace but gently caress me if I'm painting another black army in a row.

Perfect, the scheme I chose isn't any of those so I can just play whatever has the best rules.

poo poo, what have I become. :negative:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Master Twig posted:

Well, I have a game on Tuesday and it will be my first game with the new book. My opponent specifically requested me to bring my best, so here's what I've come up with.

Hive Fleet Kraken on all models.

Supreme Command
Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x Devourers - Boneswords -> Reaper of Obliterax - Toxin Sacs - Adrenal Glands
Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x Devourers - Monstrous Rending Claws - Toxin Sacs - Adrenal Glands
Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x Devourers - Monstrous Rending Claws - Toxin Sacs - Adrenal Glands

Battalion
Malanthrope
Broodlord
Broodlord
17 genestealers - 4x acid maw
17 genestealers - 4x acid maw
16 genestelaers - 4x acid maw

Tyrants all go into reserve. Drop in and unload with devourers. Assault if possible. Use the kraken strategem to attempt to launch one of those units up the field. Use 60 devourer shots to clear out bubble wrap.

If my opponent goes first, the Tyrants are all in the sky. The broodlords and malanthrope are protected characters, so all the heavy weaponry is wasted on 1W models. I think it'll be brutal.

Don't forget your malanthrope is way slower than genestealers and broodlords.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

DiHK posted:

If money were no object I would create a Dino riding elf army.

Please just give me any kind of dinosaurs with cyberpunk 80s laser aesthetic. That fits with original 40k right?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

That's not grimdark enough you have to make these dinosaurs grimdark

Like they're all powered by drugs

Or they're retarded

Can it just be like genestealer cults where the implication is thematic/gross if you read the plot but if you don't they just look rad?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is it gross because someone fucks a genestealer?

I don't know, I think I remember a multi-page diatribe earlier in the thread about them being rapey or something. I almost completely ignore lore, I just like the models and try not to think about whatever awful awful writing they have.

EDIT: I'm not a savage though, the imperial guardsman newspaper is awesome most of the time.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That was just a guy being weird and confusing fluff with his head canon erotic fanfic.

Oh that's good. There is plenty of weird stuff in 40k though so just swap my point with an actual weird thing. I was just trying to say they could make a dumb grimdark plot for a race that looked that way.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Deified Data posted:

I'm a newbie to Nids too. Hivefleet Orochi says hi.

Seeing the brand new start collecting boxes completely finished together like that makes me feel ashamed of my 10 gaunts I painted over four months.

Good job man.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Uroboros posted:

Stratagems are one of the best new editions to the game, and are a great idea. Their main flaw is GW has no sense of proportion. Some are mind-blowing awesome, while others I'd imagine have NEVER been used in a single game, either being only usable for exceedingly rare scenarios, or exclusive to units people never use.

That may be true, but if you look at them as an analogue to formation special rules, they are actually much better this way.

Will I ever use the Hive Fleet Kraken stratagem to respawn units in Matched Play after setting points aside at the beginning? Probably not.

Is it cool and fluffy and something that would be fun in a narrative game? Yes.

Think about like The Wolf and the Lion recently revealed and picture some of those bad/unusable stratagems as just fluffy and mostly for open/narrative play. It doesn't hurt anything that they are there. It doesn't cost you the good ones available to your army to have access to them.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I generally listbuild somewhat seriously, taking a broad range of units from OK to Great and usually skipping whatever is really poo poo. I like to have one of everything when collecting an army so I typically only have bonus squads of troops so I don't spam anything really.

When I play it's a mix. Sometimes I sandbag a bit by being extremely aggressive with maneuvers that are unlikely to work but are fun. Other times I try hard and then get tabled anyway by what should be an objectively worse list.

The game feels relatively balanced for my group, with the main outlier being the Drew Careys my wife is building not taking a single win yet. I've even tried playing them for her a couple times and I can't figure it out honestly.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Edit: Oh, and how do I know if I can only run 1 of something? At first I thought that's what the Character keyword was, but that's not the case. Can I, for example, run multiple Tallyman?

It will explicitly say on the datasheet. "You can only include one of this model in your army" or something similar, the top most sentences where it describes unit sizes on a data sheet.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Stephenls posted:

After Dark Mechanicum, please.

Don't say this. I'm day one in if they ever put out insane too detailed dark mechanicum kits. That's painting I don't need in my queue.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

jeroti posted:

I tried several times to straighten out Mephistons sword, but the finecast would just end up going back the the curvy shape. Eventually I gave up on it before the sword could break from being heated and straightened then warping over and over.

I'm pretty sure you need to heat it and then clamp it/press it into shape for quite a while (overnight probably) in order to make it retain the new shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
gently caress yeah sigmarines I'm so hype.

No, wait, no I'm not.