Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
The Kill Team sprue has like 16 different chapter shoulders to take from, so if you buy one regular kill team plus 10 Intercessors and a DW upgrade sprue, you should be set.

What's the best way to source Storm Bolters for marines? I need like 11 more.

Edit: 9 DW veterans with Storm Bolters and chainswords + a vanguard vet with plasma pistol and chainsword is 205 points, and it seems like the most effective way to build a kill team.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
drat, Deathwatch bikers are oop?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
The Tooth and Claw promo pictures features a dreadnought, but the description on the page doesn't have it included. Does anyone know for certain it's included?

Edit: Nevermind.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 20, 2018

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Corrode posted:

lmao in what world would a 13pt Marine or a 9pt Storm Trooper be the "cheap" option compared to a 5pt Guardsman?

Tempestus scions MSU is 5 models in each unit, so they become as cheap as a guardsman unit.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Played my first proper match of Kill Team today. My Salamanders versus my friend's Chaos Marines. We ended the game with over half my team left, while he had 3 shaken cultists and a wounded Chaos space marine. His marine was standing on the objective, so welp.
Two questions:
- If a model fails the nerve test, but is locked in close combat, what does it do the next round? Is the one fighting the model that failed the test locked in combat (must flee to get out)?
- Where in the KT manual are the rules for command points (CP generation etc)?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I don't have the DW codex at hand, but iirc terminator models don't have access to SIA. Can anyone confirm?
I think it's weird, since terminator models pay 4pts for a Storm Bolter (SB is 2 points on regular Space Marines), but the SIA is nowhere to be found on the unit card in Battlescribe.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Rhaegar posted:

Awesome.

Question about the Start Collecting Deathwatch. Beyond the models that come in the box will I have extra shoulder pads to convert Primaris Space Marines from the First Strike starter set to Deathwatch?

No. There's over 10 shoulders with chapter specific icons, but only 10 DW shoulders.
The DW terminators box (if it's still produced?) includes 3 upgrade sprues, so the terminators are almost included for free.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
After playing my Deathwatch vs a friend's death guard yesterday, I see absolutely no reason not to equip every deathwatch veteran with storm bolters.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
In that case, I'm a bit hosed.
Lined up the painted parts of my Inquisition army for yesterdays game, so this is my late contribution to Army August. I added Celestine in the back, just for this shot.

The Warlord is the (so far) unpainted Watch Master, but fluff wise, it's being lead by Inkvissitör Svensson. He's an Ordo Malleus inquisitor in terminator armor.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'd swap out the plasma guns on the rhinos for more blight launchers, personally. The friend I play most regularly, plays a lot of plague marines infantry in his list, so I might be biased, though.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
FAQ predictions itt:

• Deep strike beta rules made official.
• Drop pods keep their price, but can deep strike turn 1.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My predictions:

All beta rules made official since everyone uses them anyway.

Kurov's Aquila nerfed to 6+.

CP sharing somehow limited and all detachments get a baseline amount of CP similar to the Rogue Trader minidex.

Inquisitors somehow unfucked so people can actually field them.

Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I feel (hope) Kill Team is sort of a beta test for the entire CP system. In CA I hope they beta test the CP system to be 3 baseline, +1 a round for Warlord alive, battleforged army, warlord trait, relics etc.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I run my Dev squads with 3 Las, 1 Plasma and 2-3 standard marines. The sergeant means I can overcharge the plasma every round without fear of blowing up.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
For my next project, I'm planning a Harlequins army. For anti tank, I'm thinking 3 Soaring Spite starweavers filled with Fusion Pistols, while my anti horde will be 3 Frozen Stars starweavers filled with close combat troupes.

Does anyone have any experience running just Harlequins, or am I handicapping myself a lot with not allying in other Eldar factions?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Maneck posted:

Missed today's preview: Deathskulls.

Vulkan lives.. :eng99:

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Went to a narrative event this weekend. Since I'm not a local to the event, it was hard for me to gauge how soft or hard I should make my list. I was told "as long as it's not a netlist you should be fine" in advance.

So I went with a battalion of Deathwatch, 3 inquisitors, a crusader and two helverins, because it fit into my travelling gear.

Turns out inquisitors are so-so when all you face is imperial forces with hardly any psykers.

Pictured: The Knight Crusader, Junior, kicking a renegade knight in the shin to establish dominance. Colourised.

The Knight Crusader, Junior, pictured just before grinding a heretical chef to paste. Colourised.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Schadenboner posted:

This stratagem looks, I dunno, kinda useless?

A normal 10 man squad with a heavy flamer, meltagun and combiflamer costs 135 points. For 1 cp, you get 16 bolter shots, 1 melta shot and 2d6 flamer shots that wounds t7 vehicles on 2s for the melta and 4s for everything else. With how easy it is to fill detachments with SoB, you can use stratagems like these forever.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Science Rocket posted:

I can't remember the name of the Sister Heavy Weapon Squad, but getting +1 to wound with all of those weapons can make a huge difference. If they're plinking a T8 something, the bolters are now wounding on 5s, Heavy Flamers on 4s, and Meltas on 3s. It's situational but a +1 to wound can be huge. Especially if it plays into some other stratagem or ability they can get.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a +1 damage stratagem as well.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Being able to mix in Inquisitors with Sisters of Battle is all I ask for.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Sisters of Battle are looking really strong.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Maneck posted:

I thought they already were very strong? Just obscure because their model line is ancient and not even carried in most local stores.

Stronger. Pre-CA SoB don't scale at all with army size, so your best bet is to go with a small detachment of Celestine + one unit worth buffing with AoF.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
In an attempt to try out Necrons again, post CA, I've made a list. I don't really feel the destroyers, and didn't play with them in 8th, so I'm not sure if I'll include them yet. This is a list I quickly scribbled down on a napkin, but the idea is that there's a lot of decent Necrons units, you could just not bring enough of them.

This should equal to around 2k points:

Cryptek with Chronometron
A barebones Lord
Overlord with Staff of Light. Immortal Pride warlord trait. Artifact to be decided still.

2x 20 Warriors
10x Gauss Immortals (Tesla works too, and might be better with this list, actually)

Triarch Stalker with Heat Ray
6 Canoptek Wraiths
6 Tomb Blades with Gauss
6-9 Canoptek Scarabs

3 Doomsday Arks

Pre-CA this list is close to 2300 points, but I think it's just below 2k now. With 3 Doomsday Arks and a Stalker on the board, I have answers to enemy heavies, and if they shoot on the same target the Arks hits on 2s. I really hope Necrons are viable again after CA..

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

evol262 posted:

I have about 40 more than I'm ever likely to use. Send me :10bux: to cover shipping, and I'll give you as many as you need

So you got 40 Necron warriors. :rimshot:

Played Necrons vs my friend's Death Guard today. None of us did any major mistakes, and he was playing a soft list against me. I managed to murder about 700 points of his army before he tabled me in round 4.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
About to make the last purchases for my 2k Eldar list. It's 2k points of Harlequins and Craftworlds. Do you see any glaring weaknesses in this list?

1 Warlock on bike
2 farseers
2x 10 Guardians
7 Rangers
3 Dark Reapers
1 Hemlock

Shadowseer
Troupe Master
5 Players with Fusion
2x 6 Players with Fusion
6 bikes
3 transports

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

TheBigAristotle posted:

What's everyone's most common blunder?

Mine has to be forgetting my Deathwatch mission tactics. That or pistols in the shooting phase for units in combat

Forgetting that I have a librarian, and a psychic phase.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
After staying in my projects pile for far too long, I finally finished Guilliman, and boy is he a game changer. My friend's lost most of his games recently, so he decided to bring a list with 2 knights.
With Roboutte, I brought 3 AC Predators and 3 Missile Launcher/Las Dreads. To force him to split his focus, and to have an answer for hordes, I added a Stormraven Gunship and loaded it with an Ironclad Dreadnought.

Due to some unlucky rolls on his part, my auto cannons blew up his knight round 1. It exploded, dealing 6 wounds to his other knight, which was mopped up by the shooty Dreadnoughts. He conceded turn 2.
Bringing a primarch feels both dirty and good at the same time.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
With the Vigilus detachments, I feel Primaris are in a good spot. The only downside is that you're more or less forced to play Ultramarines with Roboutte. As someone who has played a lot of games as Salamanders, breaking out the Primarch really made a world of a difference. The named Ultramarine characters help too.

Need to make your Veteran Intercessors more durable? Add Tigurius (you want a psycher anyway) and give your Ancient the Greyshield Field commander trait. You can now give them the Raven Guard chapter trait for one turn.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Obfuscator Psychic Discipline? New spells for marines!

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Intercessor squad has the potential to do a lot of damage. With Bolter Drill, Rapid Fire, and the Beta Bolter Rules you're putting out 40 shots which on average translates to 37 hits when you include the Captain Aura, all to anything within a 30" range at a -1 AP for the cost of 2CP. Even without Bolter Drill it's still averaging 31 hits, so I suppose it's debatable whether Bolter Drill is worth it.

Adding a Power fist to the Intercessor Veteran Sergeant is also extremely worth it, since he gets 4 attacks.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
It's a good time to be a ham.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'm still on the Roboutte train here. 3 predators with R-man is great, but they get targetted down so quickly, I need a way to split my opponent's attention.

I'm considering a 2k mono Ultramarines list, where the opponent really has to decide what to focus and take down.

Roboutte
Techmarine
Chief Librarian Tigurius
Chronus
3x AC/HB Predators
3 Vindicators (yes, I know)
25 Intercessors (10/10/5)
Ancient
Apotechary

I'm still undecided on wether I should spend the 137 points on Apotechary and Ancient (if the opponent focuses my intercessors I've already won) or something else.
The Vindicator stratagem is strong, even though the tanks are bad. Thoughts?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I understand that Vindicators are bad. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make them work. The stratagem, afaik, opens up for them to pop smoke and shoot, shoot while in melee etc., and their role would be as a midfield distraction Carnifex.

I disagree with you regarding predators being bad, however. They got good range, so they don't need the Ultramarines tactic, and assuming you get first turn, you delete whatever your opponent has that threatens them. If you go second, your opponent has to decide between eating Kill Shot or Linebreaker Bombardment.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Booley posted:

Compare a predator to a 190pt relic contemptor with 4 bs2+ lascannons on a chassis with as many wounds, a 2+ save, 5+ invuln, 6+ fnp, 4a at s7 hitting on a 2+ in melee, and getting chapter tactics and try again to tell me predators aren't bad.

Lascannons are really unreliable in my experience. A flat 3 damage is preferreable to d6 damage. The 40 point difference tends to become more than 40 points when you run Relic units too. But yes, in a vacuum the relic contemptor has a stronger statline. With proper placement, the Ultramarine Chapter Tactic is worthless on a long range tank, though.

Both Repulsors and Predators are considered bad, but there's been some players making good use of them in tournaments recently, and I want to believe it's not just because of lucky rolls.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
So if you have a Phobos librarian, a Space Wolves librarian, Tigurius, a Dark Angels librarian and a Greyshield, you can potentially give an Ultramarine unit -2 to be hit in addition to giving an enemy unit -3 to hit. That's an ok way to protect a key unit.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
For added effect versus at Castellan: Bring an Inquisitor, dominate the knight and overcharge his plasma gun.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Pendent posted:

Or you could just shoot something with the castellan without the rest of the debuffs applied for an even greater effect with much less effort

Blowing yourself up is more fun.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
On holidays in Sweden, I brought my army and went down to the local club. They play ITC here, which I've never tried before.

I brought a Guilliman parking lot. He brought 8 Valkyries with catachans + 3 Shield captains on bikes. Progressive scoring throughout the game really changes how the game plays, and I think I like it

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'm going to a local tournament in the end of May, and I've already started theorycrafting lists. The missions will be from the main rulebook.

I'm bringing a Knight Crusader and two Helverins, a dark angel, space wolves and phobos librarian, and a Chaplain Dreadnought (Chapter decided by my battalion detachment). I also have spare points to bring an assassin.
That doesn't leave me with much to deal with hordes, and I'm a bit torn. Help me!

Option 1 - Ultramarines: 5 sniper scouts, Tigurius, 15 intercessors and a Thunderfire Cannon.

Option 2 - Deathwatch: A slam captain, 10 Storm Shield/Storm Bolter veterans, 5 intercessors and a twin assault cannon Razorback.

The Ultramarines got the staying power with 15 intercessors and they shred infantry with their Vigilus stratagems, and Tigurius is probably the most reliable source for Null Zone in the game. The Deathwatch option leaves my opponent with no low toughness targets the first rounds, as my troops will be either in the RB or in deepstrike.
I don't know which option is better.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
If Sergeant Chronus is in a Land Raider, he still has the character keyword, right?
RAW, does that mean Victrix Guard can act as his shield drones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

R0ckfish posted:

So I think I want to paint some more Tyranids, unfortunately the only issue with that is that I dont want do the same scheme as what I was doing before. I have ideas for way more fun both to paint and base, but it's not like I am going to go and strip some minis that look great still. What do you lot do when you encounter these feels?

Otherwise I am gonna do admech, or something.

I experienced that with marines. I just started painting with a new scheme, because it's a good way the only way to differentiate chapter tactics. Now I have purple marines supporting my salamanders supporting my deathwatch supporting my Ultramarines.