Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
If the paints are as amazing as they seem, I am strongly considering Tyranids once I finish up my Harlequin/Craftworlds project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Pricing on the new paints: I pre-ordered a paint bundle with all 34 colours from a FLGS and it's about $7 a pot.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Full disclaimer: the bundle I pre-ordered includes both primers, some brushes, the two primer colours in pots etc., so I subtracted the cost of those things from the bundle price and divided by 34. We get 20% off on top of that, and I'm spending the gaming club's money, so it could've been much worse.

E:

Plavski posted:

That's shade pricing isn't it?
That's about the same price as bottled skill, yes.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

TheBigAristotle posted:

What about the primer cans

Not sure. I just assumed regular primer price when I calculated the prices.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Strobe posted:

Vanguard Veteran and Death Company Marines are the biggest offender by far, coming standard with bolt pistol and chainsword but being upgradeable to Thunder Hammer + Inferno Pistol.

Deathwatch Killteams as well.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'm in the process of building 10 Dark Reapers, and Finecast just makes me lose the will to continue. Holy poo poo it's terrible to work with.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/kFiq13i

Here are the pics at least. Not gonna get into the apoc edition war in this post.

Wether you like the rules or not, it looks pretty drat amazing.

Which terrain piece is this?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Booley posted:

Oh no they can't take a bad option

Lascannon Salamander tactical squads are the best troops in the game and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Took my mixed Aeldari forces out for a spin today, against a friend, and they really are a lot stronger than my Ultramarines. This is the first time I play a 2k Aeldari list.

I went with a 50%/50% mix of Alaitoc Craftworld and Soaring Spite Harlequins. My opponent brought a mix of World Eaters and 1kSons.

On his first round, he killed 20 Guardians and 5 Shining Spears. On my first turn I blew up his Fire Raptor, a rhino with 10 berserkers, a Forgefiend and a Helldrake. After that, the game was just a wrap-up for me.

I think I will play a lot more Aeldar and a lot less marines from now on..

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Right I am an absolute beginner at actually playing the game, only really collected and painted, a friend of mine who is very much into the games side is looking to start me off trying a few games, he plays a very shooty ork army if that matters

What should I add to my blood angels army? I have

I dunno like 50 standard marines I got off Ebay
Cap in Terminator Armor
2 Baal Predators
1 Land Speeder
Sanguiner
10 Sanguinary Guard
5 Assault Terminators
5 Scouts with sniper rifles
Furioso Dreadnought

I haven't added to my army in like a year so whats good what should I be throwing in there

BA jump pack captains are really good. Scouts with close combat weapons and intercessors are your best troop options.

Edit: Death Company!

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

The Jumpoff posted:

1500 points each, and the condition for all the matches that week was a big game changer: NULL TIDE - NO INVULNERABLE SAVES ALLOWED.

See that guy crying in a corner? He's a Harlequins player.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Hellblasters also have ObSec since they're troops. What would you change?

I tried the same Librarian shenanigans as you've put into your list, but I went Ultramarines with 3x Predators and Roboutte Guilliman.

The librarian combo is great versus "all your eggs in one basket" lists, like if you're up against chaff and a Super Heavy or similar. On round 3, a friend's Fire Raptor could only hit on 6s, so I could just ignore it.

Your list is not going to see top tables, but it certainly looks fun to play.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I would be very happy if we could get the highlights of angry Repentia rants on the next 40k Badcast.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I got two Contemptor Dreads, and I've 3D printed Twin Lascannons and Twin Autocannons for them now. The weapon loadouts are a small part of the model, so that shouldn't be a problem for anyone, right?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When working with Fortis Kill Teams which makes more sense?

A) Taking 5 Intercessors, 5 Hellblasters, and splitting them into two squads of 5.

B) Taking 5 Intercessors, 4 Hellblasters, 1 Plasma Inceptor, and splitting them into two squads of 5.

C) Taking 5 Intercessors, 4 Hellblasters, 1 Plasma Inceptor, and keeping them together as a single unit.

I was always under the impression that option A was solid since it was the lowest cost but allowed two units to have ObSec.

It depends entirely on what you are facing, which missions you're playing and what the terrain is like.

For instance, if there's a lot of small scatter terrain, it makes sense to split up the teams so you can get the whole unit in cover.
If thw enemy has a lot of deep striking units that can threaten you up close, you go with a full 10-man squad to get the most out of Auspex Scan and Overwatch. If you can manage the cost of one Plasma Inceptor in each squad, you will have one less weakness for your opponents to capitalize on.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Maneck posted:

It's true, the hobby has really mellowed out.

Good to know. I mainly play with friends, but it's nice to know I can statistically bring 3D printed weapons and only get shouted at 50% of the time.

They are only primed so far, but you need to get close to tell.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Gunder posted:

Thinking of getting a Vindicare Assassin for dealing with enemy psykers. They look scary strong. Are they that reliable in practice?

Pair him up with a Space Marine character from the Indomitus Crusade and give him Reliquary of Gathalamor. Psykers will cry blood.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Mef989 posted:

Does anyone have any intercessors which they've painted to specifically be indominus crusade veterans? I'm about to build some Ultramarines Veterans and am looking for some inspiration. I got the MkIV Praetorian heads which I'll be putting on them as well as the upgrade sprue for should pads, but wondering what else I could do.

My veteran intercessors got white helmets. Isn't that correct for Ultramarines?

Edit:

Strobe posted:

You can Drop Pod *eight* heavy flamers. Two squads fit in a pod. :allears:

Heavy flamers aren't available to Devastator squads, though?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 7, 2019

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
That means you won't be able to drop pod in 8 heavy flamers. 8 combi flamers, sure.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Coldbird posted:

If I understand this right, the way Doctrines are worded, every single unit in your army must benefit from Doctrines in order for them to apply... and since Doctrines are tied up in the new Angels of Death keyword, which Forge World datasheets don’t have (yet), then we’re to assume you can’t get Doctrines if you have a single FW model in your army?

This on top of no assassins is going to make for some salt until things get FAQ’d.

That is going to exclude index options too.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Beerdeer posted:

I lost two days in a row with Nu Ultramarines. They seem about the same efficacy as before with more moving parts to remember. Tips for exploiting the new rules to run a shooty army?

It depends entirely on what you're running and what you're facing.

My last UM game wasn't won because of hot dice, but they certainly helped. For instance, my opponent's Daemon Prince charged my Hellblasters and lost 6 wounds to overwatch. He had to prioritize starting combat with a different unit, because he charged a melee dreadnought (Ironclad) with his Skarbrand, so my Hellblasters ate the Daemon Prince in melee afterwards with 51(!) melee attacks.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Whirlwind Scorpius lost the WHIRLWIND keyword, and can no longer be driven by Chronus nor use the stratagem.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Black Templar over metal owns bones.

Currently working on a Redemptor Executioner, and I'm using an acrylic pen to edge highlight most of the edges. Is that considered cheating?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Not being able to double repair using psychic powers means you're not completely doomed if you low roll vs their vehicles. It's a decent FAQ imo.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Hey Goonhammer lads, just giving you a heads up, for the second time in a week I have had your site linked in a 40k chat.

Seems your getting popular :D

Same. I've seen goonhammer referred to in both a Swedish and Norwegian group chat I'm part of this week.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Ultramarines Chapter Champion:
I am currently at work, so I don't have the Codex at hand. According to Battlescribe, I can swap his master-crafted Power sword for a Thunder Hammer. Is this correct, or just an error with BS?
If anyone could post the datsheet, that would be great. :)

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Getting ready for my first tournament after the codex dropped. I had 65 points to spare, so I added an old tactical squad, but except that it's all painted over the past year. Really excited to play a fully painted army.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Nerfs were coming, and we all knew it. What bothers me is the new doctrine rules leaves you making less decissions.

If I got to decide, I'd rather let marines pick their doctrine every turn, and forcing them to pick different doctrines every turn.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'm guessing.most of the 40k stuff will be unveiled on April the 4th.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
DW intercessors wound infantry on 2+, so the sniper stratagem on them will ve really powerful.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Disclaimer: I live in a small town, and my country is apparebtly past the peak of the pandemic now.

Played against my buddy's new army today. T'au..
His list wasn't entirely cheese, he had 2 batallions, 1 riptide, 5 commanders and 3 broadsides.
I played Ultramarines with Calgar, Tigurius and a Mortis Dread, a Leviathan Dread and a Repulsor Executioner as my anti-heavy shooting.

He went first, but didn't really do much as I'd deployed behind cover. I get to shoot with all my units, but all I see is 5+ FnP saves from drones.

When should I target the drones instead of the stuff I actually want to wound? Should I shoot his infantry or his drones with my intercessors?

The game wasn't terribly one-sided, but I've never played T'au before and need some pointers on target priorisation. :)

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Midig posted:

Vallejo

Nice to see another Norwegian. Where are you located?

Smallsize.no runs a clearance sale on Vallejo, and has been doing that for over a year now (I don't know why), so if you're looking for specific colours it's worth a look around. It's half price off.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Just finished reading the Harlequin leaks, and since I got a lot of Harlequin models, I'm motivated to finish the rest up in the same scheme.

Here's a quick draft for what I'm considering finishing up:

Harlequin Battalion (Soaring Spite):
Troupe Master
Shadowseer

6 Players w/fusion
6 Players w/fusion
5 Players w/fusion

Death Jester
Solitaire

6 Skyweavees

3 Starweavers

Craftworld Battalion (Headstrong, Children of the open skies):

Farseer Skyrunner
Warlock Skyrunner

10 Guardian Defenders
10 Guardian Defenders
6 Rangers

6 Shining Spears
8 Dark Reapers

This list has amazing alpha strike potential, but I can also hunker down the first round if I give my Shadowseer both -1tW and -6" range with the stratagem to include bikes and vehicles.
Spears can deep strike if they have to, as they get +2 to charge.

Any thoughts on improvements or changes? The new Harlequin rules look really strong.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I've spent around $300 this year. Last year I was buying a lot of eldar models, so I spent a lot more then, but I also sold off a lot of Fantasy models etc, so I probably ended up actually spending around $600ish out of pocket, not counting the 3d-printer I bought last summer.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
You got one engineseer too many (max 3 non-troops with the same card at 2000pts), and only one of your knights got a relic.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Duderclese posted:

Argh yeah. Should have triple-checked the list before posting, sorry. What would you suggest for a takes-all-comers relic choice?

Fortunately, you don't HAVE to use the relic stratagem, nor any of the other pre-game stratagems, every game. It's something you can buy before the game starts, after you know what you're playing against. Armour of the Sainted Ion can be good if your opponent is packing lots of low AP, while Sanctuary is decent if the enemy has a lot of melee.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Played my first game of 9th today, and I must say the new terrain rules are really exciting and feels so mich better than in 8th. The objectives and progressive scoring is also really cool, since my regular group of players never really got into ITC.

How I would paint the necrons: I just bought an airbrush, so I would probably use them for a bit of practice, but my old models are painted Leadbelcher>Nuln Oil>Leadbelcher>Vallejo Chrome with green glowy bits.

Feelgood story: 4 years ago I moved to Sweden to live with my now wife, and since it's hard to get new friends as an adult I decided to try out 40k. We've moved back to Norway now, but I keep getting amazed by how many nice people the hobby has introduced me to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
My life changed forever after I bought Vallejo White Grey. Its coverage is amazing.