Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
loving Forge world. Looking at the chaos index the knight magaera and knight stiryx are both the exact same thing differing only in their primary weapon and their tiny secondary ranged weapon. I'd argue that the stiryx has guns that are slightly stronger and sure enough they are priced slightly more. Perfect. EXCEPT the base price of the magaera is 440 and the styrix is 340?????? Who loving wrote this poo poo???

Also the knight porphyrion has two different types of Explodes rules proving once again that they can't be loving bothered to give even a cursory glance at what they've written before going to print.

It's ok through because we have a 40% chance of getting an errata in 18 months answering 6 questions no one was asking and completely ignoring all of the blatant misprints forever!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

moths posted:

Doesn't the Magaera regenerate wounds or maybe include its unique weapon in the base cost? That seems like a particularly egregious oversight.

They both regenerate wounds. They have the same statline, abilities, and melee weapons. Their only difference is their primary ranged weapon and their small secondary ranged weapon that are priced appropriately IMO. It's like they did everything right and then added an arbitrary gently caress you tax to the magaera.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

They both regenerate wounds. They have the same statline, abilities, and melee weapons. Their only difference is their primary ranged weapon and their small secondary ranged weapon that are priced appropriately IMO. It's like they did everything right and then added an arbitrary gently caress you tax to the magaera.

I'll just share the datasheets since it's relevant to the discussion. If that's too :filez: just tell me and I'll delete it mods!

The power level is higher on the magaera too so it's not like someone fat fingered a single digit.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 18, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pendent posted:

Hello there, Dark Mechanicus key word. How interesting to see you.

All the chaos knights have that tag, as well as Hellwrights which are basically chaos tech priests. They can repair most/all chaos vehicles.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kithkar posted:

Have any of the forge world index stuff been seen in the wild yet?

The digital versions are out and about. I doubt anyone has a physical copy yet though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeast posted:

I'm fielding a Hydra in this edition, because Guard hitting keyword [FLY] units on a 3+ is hilarious

Yeah when I first read that rule I figured Hydras would be a bit lackluster but after realizing just how many units have fly I see that they're gonna be fantastic.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This era of Flying units all over the place had really opened things up for IG. Hydras got wild.

Yeah with 72" range they can cover the whole board if they have LOS.

Strike from the sky bro-*BRRRRRRT*

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Sex Cannon posted:

I used one the other day against Beer4theBeerGod. 8 shots, hitting on 4's with S7 and -1 AP vs. a T6 4+ translated to 2 wounds. Largely ineffective, especially for 123 points. Though, its heavy bolter may have stripped a wound off of a battlewagon, which is kinda cool.

When would you be hitting on 4+ with a hydra?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

GreenMarine posted:

The PL system isn't for people who want to squeeze the most out of their list. If you say "now I have to max this unit out to get the most bang per PL" you should be using points. PL is for "lets play some warhammer and drink some beers and have fun and not sweat the list building details too much" type of dudes. And for players who just aren't that good at warhammer, whose play isn't squeezing out the most per turn, or who like to charge their world eaters across the acid slime because that's what they would do in real life...PL seems fine.

I think the issue is that PL costs for a unit generally appear to be set by looking at a unit with all of the most powerful upgrades added. So units with a lot of upgrades cost a lot more PL whether you take them bare bones, middle of the road, or slap every available thing on them. Depending on what units you take you can end up with two armies of vastly different strength even if both players were just building fun lists and not trying to be powerful.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

You hit on a 4+ against flyers if the hydra moves, or shooting a hard to hit flyer.

A hydra will shoot jump infantry on a 3+, but against actual planes it'd still hit on 4s.

Oh yeah I forgot about certain flyers having a natural -1 to hit.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

xtothez posted:

90pts is so cheap it really has to be a misprint. It's already a better synapse option than a Prime due to 50% more wounds and -1 to Hit. Thinking they meant 190pts

That's where the extra 100 points on the Knight Magaera came from!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Weremacht posted:

In case anyone was wondering about the Renegades and Heretics list in the Forgeworld IG Index, here's the basic rundown: it's loving garbage.

-Uncertain Worth is now d6+2, which makes basically the only army that was effected morale in 7th have the worst morale in 8th. Not unexpected, but not great.

-All the fun upgrades to your Demagogue are gone; no more cool devotions changing how your army works. Instead, if you make your cut rate IG officer who can't issue orders your warlord you can take a covenant for your entire army at once.

-Your three troops choices are all objectively worse than guardsmen. Militia have worse morale, worse armor, worse BS, worse WS, can't take orders and yet somehow cost the same as guardsmen. All the squad upgrades for militia, like armor or militia training are also gone, so they are straight up Guardsmen But Worse now. You can, though, stuff four special weapons (at BS5+) into a single 20 man squad now, which is like, the one difference between guardsmen and militia. You get copy-pasted Chaos Cultists, which serve roughly zero purpose in this list since every unit is a disposable meat shield already, and mutant rabble which would be like your conscript tarpit unit except...they also cost as much as guardsmen and have the same stats as militia. Also, Renegade Veterans are straight up not in the list anymore.

-In fact, nothing is cheaper than what the IG get, which defeats the purpose of running this list to begin with. All your tanks come straight from the IG index and have full BS, so your army is straight up "Imperial Guard, but your infantry is worse for the same cost across the board"

-Renegade Marauders can be taken no matter what now, and their "if they break they never rally rule" has changed to "autopasses all morale checks on a 2+, entire unit dies on a 1" which I'm not actually sure I can call an upgrade. Also their Brutes feel pretty wildly overcosted, clocking it at as much as an Ogryn Berserker despite not having any of the stats to back it up.

-Enforcers kill d3 models to ignore morale tests instead of limiting losses to a single model which, again, is strictly worse than Guard.

-If you got excited about the "Malefic Lord" in the table of contents screenshot, don't be! It's a Primaris Psyker with no equipment that hulks out if it survives a Perils.

-Arvus Lighters, your hilarious joke flyer, are back to being something that belongs in a dumpster. 115 points base for a flying Chimera with no guns. Great.

-Renegade Ogryns cost a sane amount, finally, but can still loving kill themselves with their stupid elephant adrenaline or whatever their combat drugs are. So can Plague Ogryns, which are just like regular Ogryn Berserkers, but inexplicably cheaper.

-Your psychic powers are..not terrible, actually. A smite variant that always does d6 vs vehicles, a -d3 leadership malediction, and a 10 warp charge ability that is pretty beefy: all R&H infantry within 6" of the caster reroll failed charges, to hit and to wound for the next fight phase, but every squad that benefits takes d3 moral wounds at the end of the turn

It's a lovely rushed hackjob with a bunch of really strange errors like laspistols having 12" range, but autopistols only having 6" or there not being an entry on rolling a 5 on the curse of mutation table. At this point, if you have an R&H army, just play it as guard until Forgeworld re-releases Siege of Vraks for the fourth time

Really too bad, I've been wanting to start a R&H army for a long time and I figured I'd hold off until the new rules came out to see what they'd look like. Glad I did! Kind of annoyed I bought the FW Chaos index because of it though.

It really looks like GW gave Forgeworld about 3 days notice that 8th edition was coming so they threw it all together without any thought or testing. That or they had time and just didn't give a gently caress.

Maybe they'll fix stuff with errata or points updates but judging from their past performance I wouldn't hold my breath. The last version of Siege of Vraks never got any sort of errata and Imperial Armour One 2nd Ed never got revised even though it was released like less than a year before 6th came out and made it completely obsolete again.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 23, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Corrode posted:

Can't understand why it's become acceptable for FW stuff to show up really. It's always been 90% overcosted garbage, 10% overpowered bullshit.

It's absolutely incredible since 95% of the issues could be avoided by handing the finished draft to a single experienced player for a day. Hell, all of the proofreading issues could be avoided by handing it to literally anyone who can read for like 3 hours. I'm half convinced they have a strict no editing policy in place.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The Valdor Tank Hunter seems decent now so I forgive them for all of the stupid bad poo poo.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Hamshot posted:

That makes it sting a little more that it wasn't included in the Chaos Renegades list.

Despite, y'know, coming with a renegade figure that's featured in all the promotional photographs of the thing.

It's also featured in the Vraks lore with a bunch of them being taken out of storage and used by the Renegades.

ALSO:
"All ELYSIAN DROP TROOPS models gain the Aerial Drop ability. TAUROS units in the lost opposite will also benefit from the Drop Troop Assault ability."

Drop Troop Assault does not appear anywhere else in the index. It's a mystery!

And the Knight Magaera and Styrix are priced the same as the Chaos index so it's definitely not a mistake. They hosed up the Explodes(unstable reactor) rule for the imperial versions though so instead of exploding on a 5+ they explode on a 6+ just like every other knight with the regular explodes rule. They did rename some of the weapons and abilities depending on whether it's chaos or imperial which is cool and fluffy. I'd rather they have taken the time to read the rules over literally one single time before going to print instead though.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 23, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man don't blame this on rush; even books they take years to release have garbage editing

I would gladly take the time to comb over their books and fix all of the glaring errors they are inexplicably unable to find in every one of their releases in exchange for a free copy of the finished product.

I bet they could find a hundred hams that would do an even better job for free if they wanted.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

OhDearGodNo posted:

Speaking of rush- there's a page that says, "replace these vehicles keywords REGIMENT and IMPERIUM with RENEGADES AND HERETICS and CHAOS.

They didn't change any of the values of the vehicles so BS values will be 4+ instead of 5+

Eh, that's probably on purpose, otherwise they'd have to adjust all the points accordingly or R&H would be even further needlessly boned. Just assume all the vehicle crews are better trained.

IIRC that's how the latest Vraks book did it too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

poo poo, if it's that bad I might cancel my preorder for the books. How are you guys finding this stuff out?

I'm probably the most vocal complainer here and I don't really feel bad about ordering the Chaos and Astra Militarum indexes from them. They've done a lot of cool things with other units we haven't mentioned and there are plenty of things that are now worth taking that weren't before.

Personally it's just extremely frustrating to go through this process with them *every single time* they release a new book. Just a pile of obvious errors that could have easily been fixed had they bothered to hand it over to someone with a fresh eye. Any random person with a solid knowledge of the rules could have easily gone through and fixed all this in an afternoon but they just don't care enough themselves. And then either no errata or a woefully inadequate one that comes out much, much later than it should have.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 23, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

As long as the guns aren't pistols or grenades, yes. These rules hold true for every model in the game. An infantry model with 5 heavy weapons can shoot all of them, so can a tank.

Edit: Also the leman russ conqueror is both better than and significantly cheaper than a standard battle cannon russ so that's fun. Not in a subjective way, but in that the conqueror cannon has the same statline other than 48 inch range, comes with a free coaxial storm bolter that has you reroll misses with the cannon if you fire it at the same target as the gun, and costs 19 points less. FW has been consistently lovely with these.

Doesn't it do D3 damage instead of D6 too?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

Regular battle cannons do d3 as well.

Oh yeah, battlecannons are dogshit lol

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pendent posted:

I'm not sure wanting something that you spent a bunch of time and money on to have a minimal degree of functionality in the new edition is being entitled.

Seriously. There's nothing wrong with being annoyed (or even outright angry) that the very expensive models you put a ton of effort into building and painting will never see the table in a serious game because they couldn't be bothered to have one person who knows how the game works read over the index for an afternoon.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

My brothers have you heard the good word about magnets?

How do they work??

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I stopped reading the thread just before the first 8th edition codex was released. How much do the new codexes add? Are they similar to the old codexes and add a lot more rules or are they just tweaked versions of what we got in the indexes plus a few wargear artifacts?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

I stopped reading the thread just before the first 8th edition codex was released. How much do the new codexes add? Are they similar to the old codexes and add a lot more rules or are they just tweaked versions of what we got in the indexes plus a few wargear artifacts?

Anybody?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Artum posted:

Pretty much, few balance changes and the odd new unit using existing models like marine lieutenants and dreadknight grandmasters, stratagems/relics/chapter rules/etc and unlike the index the units are sorted in something approaching a sane fashion.

The Bee posted:

Each faction gets bumped to 6 Psyker powers, a whole lot of warlord traits and stratagems, and a special defining rule for each faction's subfactions. Especially the stratagems, which add a ton of tactical depth to each faction and let you shift your strategy on the fly.

PierreTheMime posted:

Points and rules are revised, army traits, stratagems, objectives, psyker powers, and artifacts are added. Things are significantly more fleshed out and the army abilities "click" better than in the index.

Index armies are certainly playable, but the difference is big enough I'd give the index armies a points advantage while playing against codex otherwise it's unfairly skewed. This would be a bigger problem if they weren't releasing codices at breakneck speed, but I'm sure some armies will be waiting long enough for it to be an annoyance.

Thank you friends. And good to hear that they're actually making the codexes worthwhile!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Before I throw them up on eBay would any of you guys be interested in buying a bunch of Leman Russ tanks from me? I've got five LR Battle Tanks and two Demolishers I'd like to get rid of. They're all assembled and and a few of them are basecoated in a desert yellow. I'd also throw in the remaining sprues including Leman Russ upgrade sprues for all of them. There's a bunch of pieces missing from the sprues that I've used but there's still a ton of parts there to fill up your bits box and trick out all your tanks.

I would prefer to sell everything as one lot for $230 with free shipping. I got the whole lot + two chimeras from a goon for $300 back in like 2011 so you'd be paying about what I paid six years ago. Time flies!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Shameless self promotion:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122700927104?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Also just sold my Atlas Recovery Vehicle for a cool $160 :toot:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

Catachan

DOCTRINE: Brutal Strength

Infantry - +1S, +1Ld if within 6" of a friendly CATACHAN OFFICER

Vehicles - can re-roll one of the dice used to determine random numbers of attacks

ORDER: Burn Them Out! - some poo poo with flamers and heavy flamers (reroll Wounds, if i had to guess)

STRATAGEM: Vicious Traps (1CP) - use when an enemy unit finishes a charge move within 1" of a CATACHAN unit that's fully within a terrain feature, roll a dice: on a 4+ the enemy unit suffers D3 mortal wounds

Mordian

DOCTRINE: Parade Drill

Infantry - if they are all in B2B, +1Ld & +1 to Overwatch hits (doesn't work atm, can't modify Overwatch :rolleyes:)

Vehicles - add +1 to Overwatch hit rolls if within 3" of another friendly MORDIAN VEHICLE (same thing)

ORDER: Form Firing Squad! - can target any CHARACTERS with Rapid Fire weapons

STRATAGEM: :shrug:

Vostroyan

DOCTRINE: Heirloom Weapons

Infantry & Vehicles - +6" max range on Heavy and Rapid Fire weapons with 24"+ range

ORDER: Repel the Enemy! - can shoot at enemy units within 1" (the engaging enemy unit when engaged melee)

STRATAGEM:

Valhalla

DOCTRINE: Grim Demeanor

Infantry - half the number of models lost when they fail a Morale test

Vehicles - double remaining Wounds when consulting damage table

ORDER: Fire on My Command - can shoot at enemy unit within 1" of friendly units, but hit rolls of 1 hit the friendly unit

STRATAGEM: Send in the Next Wave! (2CP) - can send in the next wave

----------------

unrevealed Regiments: we only know Doctrines rn

Tallarn: Infantry can fire non-Heavy weapons as Assault weapons without the -1 penalty. Vehicles don't suffer -1 To Hit for firing Heavy weapons after moving

Militarum Tempestus: every To Hit roll of 6 procs an extra shot if they're within half range.

Canadian: reroll To Hit rolls of 1 if they don't move. Infantry that receive the Take Aim! order reroll all failed To Hits if they don't move.

Steel Legion: Infantry have 18" for Rapid Fire range (same as Death Guard) Vehicles treat AP-1 wounds as AP0

Thanks for posting this! I've been waiting for either IG or Necrons to get a codex before I dive back into 40k. I randomly checked the rumor sites to see if there was any indication that either might be out before the end of the year only to find that they're about to release the IG codex!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ijyt posted:

After all that gene modding space marines are barely human, let alone male or female.

Just say that space marines can come from male or female recruits but at the end of the process they're all huge sterile musclefreaks that are indifferentiable.

Release a little sprue with 10-20 female guards(wo)men heads that you can put on the regular Cadian bodies and IG/AM are done on that front too! Catachans might need new kits but those kits are due for an update anyway.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 9, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I've been away for the game for several years (although I did briefly check out the 8th edition rules when they came out), what's the state of things? Have GW stopped being shitters? Are Tyranids good now?

More importantly for me since I actually have the armies, how are IG/AM and Necrons?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

JBP posted:

They're still shitters I guess

Tyranids are good if you take shooting units and genestealers.

Guard are amazing tbh.

Necrons are probably played by people but as the fluff goes I've never seen one.

Cool. Thanks for the responses guys.

As far as buying rules go I actually did get the interactive iBooks version back when the Guard codex came out and I was still halfway paying attention to the game and that seems like the way to go. Too bad if you don't have an iPad/iDevice you're poo poo out of luck. Also it would be nice to actually be able to read the codex on my PC. The digital versions are updated according to chapter approved, correct?

I'd actually prefer a physical copy for ease of flipping through but if they're doing major yearly updates that outdate things then there's not much point.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Heavy stubbers have always been cooler than bolters IMO. Doesn't really make much sense for space marines to use them though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Can I choose a Tech-priest enginseer from the admech book as an HQ choice in a IG detachment? This wouldn't interfere with the doctrine as techpriests are explicitly an exception to that but am I allowed to mix Imperium factions in a detachment?

My reading of the rulebook says that's fine since they're both "Imperium" but this thread on B&C says otherwise: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353012-engineseer-taken-as-guard-hq/

I can't find what they're talking about in the FAQ, am I missing it, was this a previous version that's no longer applicable, or are the people on B&C just dumb as poo poo?

edit: so is this battle brothers rule actually a thing or not? I don't see it in the current FAQs but I can't find any info on it going away or not.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 9, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Corrode posted:

The rule is in the Chapter Approved 2018 book, which consolidates all this kind of stuff prior to the April 2019 FAQ.

You have to have a more specific keyword in common than IMPERIUM, CHAOS, AELDARI, YNNARI or TYRANIDS in a detachment.

You can't take the Ad Mech Enginseer as an HQ for an Astra Militarum detachment because he doesn't have the ASTRA MILITARUM keyword. Only the Elites version in the Militarum book does.

Ah I don't have the CA book so that explains why it isn't in the current FAQ. Thanks!

And yeah I know enginseers are an elite choice but I wanted to use them to pay HQ tax in a supreme command detachment for a lord of war.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 9, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
How is the Valdor tank hunter in 8th? Hot garbage or merely sub-optimal? I'm gonna use it either way because I have and love the model but it's good to know what to expect :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
What are they gonna do for Necrons WRT the psychic awakening? Bring back pariahs?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

JBP posted:

Deathstrikes are awesomely stupid though.

They were actually usable in the last codex, especially the vortex missile version. You could put down a monster area of hurt so if the enemy didn't spread out you could potentially wipe out a lot of stuff. Now they're one of the worst units in the game.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeast posted:

Necrons aren’t a big fan of waking up, for what it’s worth.

The Psychic Snooze Buttoning

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

goose willis posted:

Buddy that's like 95% of the people in the hobby

I started doing 40k stuff in 2010 and I think I have most of my stuff primed now? Fully painted, uhhhh maybe 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Wow GW really does listen to FAQ requests. I asked them to put the Valdor tank hunter in the Renegades and Heretics unit list and they did. Albeit in the wrong FAQ :v: (should be in IA:AM and not IA:Chaos)

Also asked if Steel Behemoth should let Forge World IG superheavies ignore the penalty to heavy weapons like they do in the main codex and they fixed that too.