Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I am at the midnight launch at my store. There are now balloons containing a worrying amount of the contents of my lungs.

Anyone else at store events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I have a starter, extra set of biglys and 4 indexes. Warriors of Iron will get started tomorrow.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I think bigly marines will be good for casual games, but ultra serious tournament play people will take a handful of biglys (particularly the plasma biglys) and the rest normal marines with tactical squads.
To fight hordes you need the tacticals and devastators.
I'm happy that the uber units in 8th are Ork boyz, genestealers, gaunts and tactical space marines.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Mugaaz posted:

I'm assembling the models from the starter today. I haven't worked with plastics before, do these need to be washed prior to priming?

Some people still wash them just to be safe. I did.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

A very quick 8th edition unboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQwPD9XXf2Q

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It's list time

1000 points of biglys (using the points in the index)

List 1

Captain in Gravis armour with mastercrafted powersword and boltstorm gauntlet - 147
2 squads of Inceptor - 225 each
2 squads of Biglys - 100 each
1 squad of Plasma Biglys - 185

985 points

OR

Lieutenant with power sword - 74
1 squad of Inceptors - 225
3 Squads of Biglys - 300
2 squads of Plasma Biglys - 370

969 points

I think the Captain is pricey for a model that isn't great at shooting and only good at assault, and is also slower than everything else.

When the bigly codex comes out next month I imagine you'll be able to tool up Sergeants, so it'll be power swords all round then. I am biased towards the 2nd list because I feel in low point games boys before toys is the way to go.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That second list is a lot better. As you said, boys before toys is the go-to for low points games, and it goes doubly for Biglys, because your boys are even more scarce.

I can see a lot of people just not taking a captain in favour of more Lieutenants. Captains are just too expensive for something that's just not that good. Lieutenants are cheap and give a decent buff (especially for babysitting plasma biglys so they don't blow themselves up). A lot to love at only 74pts base.

Lieutenant bonus is reroll 1s to wound, not to hit. So plasmas can still blow themselves up. I've started assembling my models. The metal Iron Warrior heads look good with the bigly bodies.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Well, it's implied, anyway. He tells Guilliman he wants to use traitor legion geneseed, Guilliman tells him no, and it's implied Cawl basically thinks "Yeah well I'm gunna do it anyway"

He's already done it, he was asking for permission for full production runs.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

goose willis posted:

So are primaris marines capable of going renegade or are they TOTALLY PURE FOREVER

My Warriors of Iron (original chapter, do not steal) will always remain loyal!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Pendent posted:

I'd been planning on painting up all my old Tac Marines as Sternguard with their fancy bolters until I actually started looking at the stats compared to Intercessors.

190 points gets you a full squad of Sternguard with no upgrades. The stats are basically the same as an equivalent number of Intercessors except for one better AP and half as many wounds.

200 points gets you 10 Intercessors, taking up two troop slots.

To put it another way, with Intercessors a single PPM gets you double the durability and the use of a more useful force org slot for the loss of 17% damage output. Pretty tough to justify those Sternguard.

Sternguard can take a crapload of options or combi weapons or power weapons. Bigly's can't yet.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Senjuro posted:

Anyone got a picture of a bigmar with a regular marine helmet?

I've got a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvu8KyPq5S8

Part I of doing my Primaris army, Warriors of Iron (original chapter, do not steal).

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Geoff Zahn posted:

Saw some pages back some people had a snap-fit Primaris model. How do you get one of those?

Also I'm real sad that Frontline Gaming hasn't shipped my copy of Dark Imperium yet. I need my fix :orks:

It's the new in store painting demo model.

I did a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyISnIBMweo

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I also think Alan Meritt's illness and death has had a huge effect.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Don't know if you guys are interested in this sort of thing, but here's the first half of me painting my Warriors of Iron, a new and totally original space marine chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxHtZjKc3Nc

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

chutche2 posted:

That's also how needle poison sniper rifles work in mechwarrior, and in some cyberpunk stuff. It's a really common thing. Only difference with the mechwarrior one is rather than a poison it use a highly radioactive agent.

That's been the sniper rifle description since at least the Confrontation rules in WD 128, which is Rogue Trader era.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

field balm posted:

Has anyone put chaos marine heads on primaries bods? The new death guard are cool but too mutated to fit in with my chaos boys.

My Warriors of Iron use the old metal Iron Warrior heads. Look pretty nice I think.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The Bee posted:

What are the other Primaris models in the First Strike box? I can see the Reivers, but are the others another trio of Intercessors?

Yup. They are doing 3 boxes of Reivers, Intercessors and Plague Marines and a 6 box of Poxwalkers.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So are the models in the new starter kits the same as what was sold in Dark Imperium?

The new £50 starter is Dark Imperium minus two sprues and the hardback book.

The new £20 starter is one each of the new Easy Assemble sprues.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Finished painting my first bigly marines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh4E5wef3B0

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Here is my 1000 point casual Deathguard list.

Typhus (paid 45 points for a plaguereaper, as Manreaper not being listed is obvously an oversight, and he is still a steal compared to a Lord of Contagion)
21 PoxWalkers
22 Poxwalkers
9 Plaguemarines (Power fist, 1 plasma gun, 1 blight launcher)
Bloat Drone
Helbrute (Multi-Melta, fist)

Exactly 1000.

Thoughts?

This will also be the army I try and paint to display quality.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Black_Nexus posted:

It is not an oversight, he is special character and their little column states that their price already includes wargear.

I am not sure why he is just cheaper and better but he is

Fair enough, then dropping two poxwalkers gets me 10 cultists with a heavy stubber.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Zuul the Cat posted:

Is the Primaris Librarian already available?

Comes out Saturday but the stats have already leaked.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Just to confirm, what is the format for the September trip to Warhammer World? I need to get stuff painted and decide which army to take.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

ijyt posted:

Space marines have a ton of units to choose from though?

Some people are going pure Primaris even if it isn't the most competitive choice. It's like taking an army of all Sternguard/Vanguard. Or Grey Knights. Small model count armies appeal to people without a lot of time.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I've decided to take Big Boys to the goon meetup, so that'll be 37 more big boys to paint up.

So Reivers - knives and pistols or bullpup bolters? Was thinking of going with a 5 man squad of each, but is one a no brainer? I have a feeling it is knives and pistols as you deep strike into pistol range anyway. And they are AP -1.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

So just curious. I was looking to put together a Primaris force around 50 PL / 1k points to tool around for some small games while I wait for the Ork codex. Does this look completely unfun to anyone? It's doable out of the DI set and the box of Reivers I have on my paint table already, so all I'd have to scrounge up is five more bodies for the Intercessors.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [50 PL, 996pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Salamanders

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 137pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Primaris Lieutenants [10 PL, 148pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle
. Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Grav Chutes, 4x Reiver, Reiver Sergeant

Reiver Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Combat knife, Grav Chutes, 4x Reiver, Reiver Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 211pts]: Heavy Plasma Incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [50 PL, 996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I took almost exactly this army on Tuesday (drop one lieutenant, add one intercessor squad, give one squad of skull boys bull pup bolters).

Beat Dark Eldar, with my skull boys killing a close combat Archon. DE infantry, even Wyches, got pummelled by biglys, though the Succubus plus wyches did kill one of my 5 man squads. Basically his army were in Raiders and Venoms, and while he was in combat on turn 2 and my plasma biglys got all his anti tank fire, his combat troops just bounced, and biglys in cover just bounced all the splinter rifle fire.

Biglys aren't top tier, I think Orks, Nids, Space Marines are safely in that slot, but they are tough as hell.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I'm liking all of this.

Using a 25 year old ruleset creaked a bit in Shadow War, particularly because GW ceded the territory of skirmish games for so many years.

But I'm liking everything. I got shadow war so I have some terrain. Looks like my autumn project is enough terrain for Necromunda.

I'm also going to see if my daughter will be interested in Space Barbies when they are also female. She pointed out there aren't female models the first time I took her into my local GW.

On the other hand I have the most diverse local GW I've ever come across, they even have a female member of staff. They had to get a blue shirt specially made for her as no one has ever needed one in a small before.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Rhaegar posted:

Awesome! How old is your daughter? I'm debating when to introduce my son to Warhammer. We already played through the first mission book of my old copy of Hero Quest. He loved it. He's only 5 so I think it's too early for Warhammer though.

She's 13. The craft side of it will be a much easier sell.

On the other hand I got her listening to jazz today.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Remind me guys, I've got a sonic cleaner and I'm going to strip some old Blood Bowl metals to sell, what UK available product should I be putting in it?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Zuul the Cat posted:

Oh poo poo! Did Cawl go through with his plan to make Traitor Astartes Primaris!?

In Dark Imperium he tells Guilliman he's already done successful trials of them.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Khorne is up next after nurgle with the Armageddon campaign and Angron, so in the next year it'll only be Noise Marines left.

Does anyone have two spare primaris hellblasters for sale in the UK?

I had a glue spill and melted two guns (both from the Dark Imperium set, one for each of the normal guys) so I am after replacements. I need them fairly soon as I need to paint the squad up before the goon meet.

Last resort I will sub in something else, like 5 more reivers and playing around with characters.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well now I've painted 35 levels of my Warriors of Iron.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

goose willis posted:

Hey nice that looks very close to the color scheme for my Primaris that I posted here

Of course you are a far more competent painter than I am

My painting guide is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvu8KyPq5S8

That one should work. I was trying to link to a playlist. I split it into parts 1, 2 and 3.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Pendent posted:

They keep hinting at either bringing squats back or releasing something like Demiurg. If they do space dwarfs any justice at all I'm going to have to buy them.

I've been told the studio did a bunch of concept art for them a while back for space based squats that fled their destroyed homeworlds. I don't know if anything was done with it though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I was thinking of doing a new Batman/DC miniatures thread as the old one died a long time ago. Particularly as 2nd edition is going with cheaper models and less complicated force structures.

Anyone here play it?

Is there a general tabletop chat thread anymore? What's up with the death thread at the moment?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

SRM posted:

Also, speaking of the Badcast, we're looking for advice! We're gonna be talking about what to do when someone is in a bad mood during a game, whether they're just losing real bad or what have you. What do you do when the game's not going well and you're not having fun? What do you do when your opponent is having that experience?

Finger in the butt.

But also emphasise the positive. Are they sucking at everything? Emphasise their small victories.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Hencoe posted:

https://www.warhammer-tactics.com/s...rnament-players
Found this little article posted up on a local page, what's your guys thoughts on it?

It seems like an exercise in missing the point right from where he starts going 'well the dictionary defines overpowered as this' and 'taking Guilliman and 5 stormravens is fine'.

Given he is trying to.argue tournament players aren't douches it seems like a bit of a self own.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Percelus posted:

ngl if they update the emperor's children range at bigmar scale and release fulgrim i would give gw a lot of money

Angron and World Eaters first at some point next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

My 50 level primaris force is 28 models:

Gravis captain
Lieutenant
2 5 man intercessor squads
2 5 man reiver squads
1 5 man hellblaster squad
1 dreadnought.

The only thing that makes deathguard high model count is poxwalkers.

You could go fairly low model count with them if you took plague marines and higher.