Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

BaronVanAwesome posted:

While I like the idea of getting some cheap sprues, the price point is way above the impulse price threshold for me vs. the risk of getting utter junk.

And remember the rule of every random loot crate: if it was really worth what they're claiming, they would have sold it for that normally

Good news, it sold out instantly so you don't need to worry about it being too expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Congrats, you found a typo.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Is the Battle Sisters Squad something that was just temporary, or will GW ever have it back in stock? I know they are having trouble bringing stuff back in stock right now as they have prioritized new miniatures.

It's a core part of an army, it'll be back in stock when production stabilizes.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Dumb question, what's the maximum number of command points you can have in 9th? Can you ever have more than 15?

Yes

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Coldbird posted:

I think they will, but it might take two years. Only chainswords got renamed Astartes chainswords; I think eventually everyone will get the stats on generic weapons to match these (assuming we’re not totally misinterpreting these new sheets; like, say, there’s a new evolution of Kill Team coming and these sheets are meant for that).

I guess the real question here is - if, long term, GW continues to let Marines dominate the meta so much, does that actually lose them more business than it gains them? Marines have always been the cash cow, and it’s not clear how many players dedicated to other factions would really abandon the game, and how many would just drink the kool-aid and buy Marines - or would be satisfied playing a bad army for a few years, kind of like how most of us dedicated Marine players did up until summer 2019. Do they lose more of those other players than they gain in new players who like playing Marines as a good and powerful army - plus returning Marine players dusting off previously bad units and buying up nice new Primaris models?

Well, I suppose two questions - the second before the first - which is, with GW’s development pipeline being famously several years long, do they even have the ability to adjust their strategy to the meta that much? I mean, they did nerf Marines earlier this year, outside the normal FAQ/CA pipeline, which suggests they do have the ability to judge and respond to the meta in something closer to real time, but if I’m GW, I don’t consider the current meta to mean much of anything. 9th is too new and they’re still working on basic structural fixes, on top of so few games to look at due to COVID; correcting broken armies and units probably gets to wait until next year, sadly.

I'm curious why you think marines are dominating the meta long term. After spending the first 2 years entirely in the dumpster, they were given an update that brought most chapters up to par and was brokenly strong for a couple until they ate several faq nerfs. We never really got to see that play out because of covid, and are now in 9th where custodes and death guard are initially appearing to be on top.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, people who are active can always say we are fine to use their old photo for the banners. On the other hand the people who originally said the images could be used in the banners in the OP have given permission to use the images in the banner image, which in turn you've been given permission to use.

So as long as they are still credited I don't really see why we would need to remove pictures if there's an army we are missing. I dont think that will be the case though as we can probably rustle up a photo of each faction between us and people we know.

As for the army quotes I just think a punchier description of stuff and a link to where they can read more about the lore and rules is my preference, but I honestly think whoever is putting the effort in to making the OP should just do these things, because there's no pleasing everyone.

Because since then the forums have turned out to owned by someone who beats his wife, and people are no longer happy to be related to SA. Also, there generally is no transient property of usage rights. People said their images could be used by SRM to create banners for an 8th edition OP, not that they could be used in banners in any 40k thread on SA until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

People said someone could use their images to create a new image, a banner containing parts of several images. The owner of that new piece of work has then given permission to Jack to re-use those banners. If the old photographs were just used then you'd have a point, but they are not, they are part of a new creation, created using elements which the creator was given permission to use.

Ultimately I'm not making the OP so it's not up to me, but there's no problem with using the old banners in a new OP. Maybe a court could rule this wasn't transformative enough to give it an exemption under copyright law, but there's no way of you or I knowing that for sure (I obviously think it is transformative) and I doubt anyone is going to sue.

1) There are my photos in the OP that I'd rather not have used again because lowtax sucks.

2) As a professional photographer, I do in fact have somewhat more understanding of copyright, licensing and transformative works than the average person, and slapping a few images together is absolutely not a unique work and would not be considered fair use, nor can someone re-license sobe thing without permission.