Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Correction to my earlier post: Warbikers did not get a point reduction, Nobs on Warbikes did.

Also, Warboss on Warbike is in Forge World. Looks like he's gone up by about nine points, but at least he's not in Legends, it doesn't look like.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Can anyone tell me what my list will cost post CA?

Boyz 70 points
+ Boss Nob 14 points
+ Power Klaw 13 points
Nobs 140 points
+ Big Choppa x2 10 points
+ Power Klaw x2 26 points
+ Kill Saw 15 points
+ Kombi Weapon with Skorcha 17 Points
+ Ammo Runt x2 8 points
Painboy 52 points
Deff Dread 55 points
+ 2 Dread Klaws 30 points
+ Big Shoota 5 points
+ Skorcha 17 points
Stormboyz 90 points
Boss Zagstruk 88 points
Gretchin 30 points
Runtherd 35 points
Warboss 65 points
+ Power Klaw 13 points
+ Kombi Weapon with Rokkit Launcha 12 points
Total 805

To build
Da Red Gobbo 30 points
Weirdboy 62 points
Warbikers 138 points
Shokkjump Dragsta 108 points
Kustom Boosta-Blasta 100 points

Total 438

Grand Total 1243

Only change I see in your already-built stuff is that the Dredd goes down ten points. In your to-build stuff, the Shokkjump goes down 18 points, and the Kustom Boosta-Blasta goes down by twenty.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, some thoughts on the Ork Warboss on Warbike. It's being listed in the Forge World section of Chapter Approved. This makes a certain amount of sense, given that the Zhadsnark model has been sold as a generic "Warboss on Warbike" for a while. Interestingly, Zhad is still listed as another option. It would be nice to think that they plan to make a new model for one of them, but I think they didn't want to get rid of a character who technically has a model available, even if that model is being shared with another datasheet.

The new price is 95 points. This is nine points higher than their Index price. On the other hand, a lot of wargear saw price drops from the Index into the Codex. The Big Choppa that he has by default is down to five points instead of nine. This puts Zhad at only five points more expensive with his default gear. If you look at the power klaw, on the other hand, it went from 25 to 13. This makes a Bikeboss with a PK three points cheaper than it would have been in the Index. Given this, I think it's most likely to be the same statline, though we won't know until they clarify somewhere or issue an update to Imperial Armor: Xenos.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, my FLGS is doing a builder's league. Starts at 200 points, then goes up 200 points every two weeks. Must have a troops unit to start with, and an HQ by the time you hit 600 points. No named characters until the final two weeks. I'm starting up an Iron Hands army.

For my first 200 points, I'm going with a Patrol detachment with some intercessors and a grav captain. Where should I go from there? A gunship? Thunderfire cannon? More troops, to work towards a battalion for CP?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sadly, I'm required to buy the models in-store, so Forge World stuff is out.

...At least, for this event. When I expand the army further, all bets are off.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah, an enormous amount of competitive ork lists used index hq choices.

It's not as bad as we thought. The Warboss on Warbike is staying, he's just a Forgeworld kit now. The big loss is Big Mek on Warbike going away. However, that's not as huge a loss as the regular Big Mek with KFF is sticking around. Bike Mek was even better, but we can still work with the footslogging version, and a lot of people were anyway to save on points.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

So, my FLGS is doing a builder's league. Starts at 200 points, then goes up 200 points every two weeks. Must have a troops unit to start with, and an HQ by the time you hit 600 points. No named characters until the final two weeks. I'm starting up an Iron Hands army.

For my first 200 points, I'm going with a Patrol detachment with some intercessors and a grav captain. Where should I go from there? A gunship? Thunderfire cannon? More troops, to work towards a battalion for CP?

Tossing this back up. I can't use Forgeworld models, as I have to order the models in-store.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thankfully, these rules are only for this contest. For regular games, they allow FW, third party, proxies and kitbashes.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

nite_moogle posted:

10 Intercessors for sure, probably with Stalkers if you're using the multi-part kit (if not, standard bolt rifles are still decent). Grav Captain is a solid first pick. You will also want a Lieutenant of some sort for your second HQ to get to the minimum Battalion size. The third troops pick to get to a Battalion can also be 5 more Intercessors since none of the other Troops choices use Heavy weapons and won't benefit from the doctrine bonus as effectively. I think there's now agreement about the value that 5 Infiltrators bring in protecting yourself from deep strike so that's a good place to mix it up.

As Iron Hands, your first fun time pick should almost certainly be a Redemptor Dreadnought with the gatling cannon. It's maybe not the Very Best dreadnought pick but it's anti-horde which you'll need if you are leaning on Stalker bolt rifles for your Intercessors, the kit is very pose-able and it's a cool centerpiece model, and also you can give it a warlord trait. Picking up a second one later on and adding an eventual Repulsor presents a lot of high-toughness targets that can present target confusion for your opponent.

The other Usual Suspects for a good IH lists that are likely to still be very good after a 2019 points adjustment PDF (which I'm still convinced is coming) will be Eliminators, Suppressors, Ferrios, a Librarian, and a Repulsor Executioner. Eliminators with Bolt Rifles are relatively cheap and the rest of your army is likely to lack the maneuverability to snipe out backline characters otherwise; I think they work best with 2 units (which also makes a unit of 5 Infiltrators good friends). Suppressors in most lists are weird because they are high maneuverability with Heavy weapons, but since you're Iron Hands you can scoot & shoot with them very effectively. Ferrios is just ridiculous all around, and a Librarian has some good powers out of the IH specific discipline. The Executioner is always a valid pick just because that main gun is super strong and Vengeance of the Machine Spirit means even if it does soak a ton of fire you aren't picking it up without getting at least two good shots off. The Thunderfire cannon is insane right now but it'll be at the top of the list for any points adjustments so I wouldn't bank as heavily on it, and also it's finecast. Flyers are also super good right for IH now but are probably also on the hit list for points adjustments and they aren't the easiest models to work with either.

All right, sounds like a solid plan. Ferrios is definitely my pick for the last two weeks when I get access to named characters. I've already gotten permission to use him, even though I bought the kit before the contest period.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

I'm bummed because the Defftrike was the perfect opportunity for GW to release a multikit that could be a boss, mek, or painboy on it.

Yeah, I was really annoyed that the new buggies were all monopose. It's just so... unorky.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The best dread in 40K is, and will always be, Murderfang. With his Murderclaws and Murderlust.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

goose willis posted:

What exactly is stopping Games Workshop from turning the resin kits into plastic ones

It's a much more expensive outlay to make a kit plastic vs. resin or pewter. The molds for injection molding run in the tens of thousands of dollars, and that's not counting the design for them. GW does most of that in-house, but it's still really expensive, and they only have so much capacity. It makes sense for things they know they'll sell a lot of units of worldwide, but less so for small specialty items that not that many people are going to field. For stuff like that, resin makes more sense.

Not that this means they can't turn things from resin to plastic, of course. They've done it a fair number of times. It's just not something they're likely to do with every resin model.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think Stormboyz are better than a lot of ork players give them credit for, but Da Jump does mean that there are other good ways to get that early charge--potentially as soon as turn one.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

slut chan posted:

I agree with everything except for the hordes/legends statement.

Yeah marines in tactical doctrine just make boyz disappear, but what does legends have to do with that?

Yeah, Orks actually came out fairly okay from the Legends changeover. Most of what was lost were legacy units that weren't seeing much play. Mega Armored Warboss was a great unit, and a lot of fun to kitbash, but it rarely saw any appearance in tournament lists. The one big loss was Big Mek on warbike, but that's mitigated by the foot Mek with KFF sticking around.

Legends didn't really take much of the strength of the faction. Most of the issues orks have now come from Marines being a hard counter to hordes of boyz, which is where most of the ork army's strength comes from. If orks can't get value from 30-boy units, then the current ork meta is going to suffer.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Many competitive ork lists used index Hq options.

Have we received confirmation that regular mek with KFF is sticking around?

I agree it makes sense because it was included in the update but I haven’t seen confirmation one way or the other.

They used index options, but specifically Bike Boss, Big Mek with KFF, Bike Mek, and occasionally a Mek with minimal wargear for CP farming. Bike Boss was not included in Legends, and was moved into the FW list in CA. Basic Big Mek was moved to Legends, but the KFF option was not included, and a Big Mek with KFF was included in CA. We're still waiting for clarification from GW, but it's most likely the same unit. Bike Mek is the biggest loss, since it gave you a more durable and mobile KFF. Stripped down mek wasn't played very often, but it was occasionally useful. The other index HQ, Warboss in Mega Armor, almost never made it to tourney lists (though it was a fun-as-hell model to kitbash).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finally finished and based my Evil Sunz weirdboy.

Had some fun building the staff, though it ended up much more fragile than I would have liked, even with pinning and greenstuff. Next time, I might go for a longer bit of wire in the pinning, or even try plastic glue.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's not even good, per se. They just figured out the chuds were bad for their brand and kept new people out of the hobby. Which is still much better than they were, of course.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finished up the test model for my Iron Hands scheme.

Ignore the super big base. I just needed something to balance him on while I took pictures. Thinking I like the blue accents instead of the red, so I'll probably keep going with that. I'm not super happy with the way a lot of the edge highlights just disappear on camera. I think I'm doing something wrong with the lighting, but I'm not sure what.

I also need to work on my decal application. This was my first time working with them, and I definitely didn't do enough relief cuts.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
'Twas the night before Empire-mas, and all through the base,
Not a creature was stirring lest it be shot in the face.
The guards were all stationed, the sentries were posted
Where any intruder would quickly be toasted.

The ultramarines were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of stormbolters danced in their heads.
Sarge in his pauldrons, and I in my cap
Had both had too much of that tyrannid crap.

When out on the battlement there arose such a clatter,
The marines rushed to their stations to see what was the matter.
I rushed to the window, and what dare I see,
But the one who gives dakka to fight heresy.

His beard white and snowy, his armor so festive,
He looked up and asked if we were the best of
The ranks of the planet, this garrison keep,
And if we had the Emperor's enemies reaped.

We affirmed it was true, we were Space Marines
Not simple soldiers, but killing machines.
He laughed with a voice that was both grim and merry,
And said that we had enemies left to bury.

"Up Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Ultramarines!
Up Space Wolves, Iron Hands, and Angry Marines!
I bring you new weapons, to murder the foe.
Don't dawdle, there's plenty, yes, here you go!"

And he handed out dakka with plenty to spare,
No Marine was left wanting, no hand was left bare.
As he got on his speeder and rose out of sight,
He said "Merry Empire-mas to all, and fight the good fight!

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only wassailing.

Images from a holiday project from quite a long while ago. I still have the model somewhere, though sadly the elf-eared cherub is long lost.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Working on my Iron Hands grav captain. I'm pretty happy with how his cape is coming out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If we enhance the image we can see definitive proof of Sasquatch

Squats return to the main game confirmed for 2020.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

I'm basically done with painting my grav captain. However, I'm not sure just how I want to paint the power sword. I'm thinking I might go with purple painted kinda like this, but I've got a few days before I start on it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
On the one hand, you want fluffy lists to be good so that your game resembles the fiction to some extent. But on the other hand, you don't want to make them so good that playing anything else is a straight handicap.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Pretty much done with my grav captain. Now I just need to base and seal him.

It was my first time painting a power sword. Not as nice as I would have liked, but it'll do for my first go, I think.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finished up the start of my Iron Hands army.

Decided to go with a mud and grass basing style for these guys. The static grass came out pretty well here.

It did not go quite as well with some of these lads, sadly. May have to scrape off the grass where the glue went all frosty and try again. I'm pretty sure my mistake was not smearing the glue out flatter. Too much glue, not enough grass.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Here's all of my 2019 painting. Mostly orks, with my new Iron Hands and a couple of other projects.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Starting the new year with some tankbustas. I may have started in on Iron Hands, but I haven't forgotten my orky roots.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Making a base for my redemptor dread. It'll be posed with one foot on top of the chaos terminator's chest. I've got some AK mud effects I plan to slosh over everything. I figure to try watering it down a bit and hitting it with gloss in the grooves from where the terminator's legs enter the mud to sell the wet mire effect.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I doubt they will. Guard-sized units look fine on 25s. It was just the mid-sized units like space marines and ork boyz that looked ridiculous on small bases.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

darnon posted:

Hardware epoxy usually hardens faster than green stuff and the bigger issue it is 'coarser' so can't support as fine of detail being molded into it. You could mix it with green stuff type epoxies to make it more rigid while still being able to do finer work. Apoxie Sculpt is probably cheaper for that purpose, though.

Correction: Green stuff is hardware epoxy. It's specifically a brand called kneadatite. It was designed for use in things like plumbing. The fact that it's useful for modeling is an unintended side benefit (though it's been used so long that's it's now part of the official marketing). So if you find kneadatite specifically, then that's the exact same as green stuff. As you say, other hardware epoxies have different properties depending on how they're formulated, and many other brands are not useful for what we use green stuff for.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

goose willis posted:

Is Milliput the same thing too?

Insofar as it's also a hardware epoxy that's now used in modeling, yes. It was designed more for care repair and DIY projects, but it's mostly been marketed at the modeling hobby since like the 70's.

If you're asking if it's exactly the same as green stuff, then no. They have different formulations and properties. As an example, milliput ends up much harder, while green stuff ends up with a plastic-like hardness.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking on Ghaz... I really would love an any-clan Ghaz to hit the game, given I've already painted up nearly 2k of Evil Sunz and Deathskullz (and one Bad Moonz dakkajet). I'm a little pessimistic, though, because we're probably already getting a Big Mek with KFF model in the nearish future, and I'm skeptical that they'd give us two new ork models. I think it's more likely that it will just be the Big Mek model for orks.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Getting more iron lads done.

The Builder's League I'm in starts in a week. 200 points to start, which I've already got (the 5 intercessors and grav captain I posted earlier). It goes up 200 points every two weeks. I'm hoping to have another five-man squad done this week, and then start on my lieutenant. I'm feeling like I'm in a good place on the painting.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm playing my first ever game of 40K this weekend. It's pretty much babby's first 40k (200 points, no CP, kill 'em all), but I'm excited nonetheless.

I may take some pictures of the game. If I do, I'll post 'em here. I doubt it'll be interesting enough for a battle report, but I'll at least share what I'm fighting against and if I did okay.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

goose willis posted:

Fun team concept I just had: pick a faction, go on eBay, look for the cheapest completed models available, fix up their existing paint schemes (or paint strip if they're beyond saving), and have some sort of A-Team made up of broken dudes you found that you brought back to life and they're ready to kill poo poo together

That could be just a fun painting challenge. Get the cheapest, worst paint job you can find on eBay, and then restore the mini, trying to capture the spirit of the paint job.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lizard Combatant posted:

Whoever said this thread is a mix of being both inspirational and crushing is right on the money.

Anyone done some terrain lately? I love seeing scratchbuilt junk terrain.

Funny you should ask; I'm working on a base for my redemptor dread right now.

Kinda crappy now, but I think it'll look all right once I get the mud effects on it. I also have some barbed wire that'll be stretched behind the terminator.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ooh, that's an excellent idea.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I played my first two games of 40K today at my FLGS, Heroes and Villains in Tucson. It's taken me a long time to get to this point, but I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I only got one picture that didn't look like crap. Hopefully I can do better in the future.

I'm going to give a quick set-up and some narrative, and see how that goes.

Game setup: The first two weeks are about getting people used to the basics of playing their units. No one counts as battleforged, so no ork kulturs, space marine chapter tactics or doctrines, etc. No real missions at this point, just kill all the other guys.

My units: Gravis Captain and five intercessors, all from the Dark Imperium box.

The shop is fairly loose on WYSIWYG, especially while everyone's learning the game and their armies. The intercessors were played mostly as-is, except that my sergeant had a power sword. When we start playing with battleforged rules, I'll play them as stalker bolt rifles.

My Narrative: Strange signals have emanated from the Imperium world Herosand V. These signals have attracted the attention of the forces of Chaos, Tau, and Eldar. As these enemies landed on the ill-defended planet, long-dead mechanisms came to life, and a host of necrons rose to the surface! The Imperium responded swiftly, sending in units from all of its forces, whether Space Marines or Sisters of Battle, Astra Militarum or Adeptus Mechanicus. Unfortunately, this increase in forces has attracted the attention of Tyrannids (seeking biomass) and Orks (seeking a good krumpin'). With all of these forces battling for supremacy, who will win?

Match 1: Salamanders

Their Forces: Ten intercessors with autobolt rifles.

quote:

Having landed on the same part of the planet as several other units of Space Marines, Captain Incusator needed to discuss the priorities of deployment. Discussions broke down when several other chapters wanted to take the same areas he did. The Salamanders believed that there were Dark Eldar in the area, and called priority against their ancient enemies.

"But the flesh is weak," the captain replied.

"Right, but these are our ancient enemies," said the sergeant commanding the Salamanders.

"I understand," the captain said, nodding. "However, the flesh, lads. Terribly weak stuff, eh?"

"But fire isn't. And we have a lot of it. Fire, that is. It's kind of our thing? You may have heard?"

Unable to come to an accommodation, they decided to settle the matter through a training exercise, with the winner to take the deployment.

The small battlefield had three pieces of terrain; two LOS-blocking bits and some ruins in the middle. My opponent brought ten intercessors with auto-bolters. He split the squad into two with Combat Squads, and placed them towards the front so he could get into cover as quickly as possible.

He got the better of things the first few rounds, as I had to foot-slog after his boys. The greater volume of fire from his auto-bolters gave him a distinct advantage. However, it turned around once my Captain got into melee.

The grav captain smashes face, plain to say. He would have smashed even more face if I'd remembered to use the extra attack I got from Shock Assault, but with some fire support from my intercessors, he took down the first squad pretty quickly, taking only a few wounds in the process.

The second squad stayed hunkered down in the ruins. They shot, and were able to get another couple of wounds. This was probably a mistake, however, since I was able to get close in and pin him with my grav captain, and then toss my intercessors into combat with him.

Pictured: Face-smashing in action.

I did lose one of my intercessors to overwatch, but then my volume of attacks took out the rest of his squad.

Match 2: Grey Knights

Their Forces: Five Grey Knight Terminators.

quote:

Having bested the Salamanders (with their bolt rifles set to stun, naturally), Captain Incusator was next challenged by a squad of Grey Knights.

"It's just, y'know there are Chaos Daemons out there," they said. "That's what we do, fight Daemons, Chaos Sorcerers, things of that."

"I fully understand," Captain Incusator said, sipping his Medusan tea. "But the flesh is weak."

"Yeah, but we're gonna use our psychic powers. Throw mind bullets at 'em."

"Right, mind bullets. But what is the mind but another form of flesh, old chap?" he replied. "Which is to say weak. No, I think we'd better take this one."

Unfortunately, they were not moved by the unassailable logic of his position, and once more he would need to pull out the nerf setting on his power sword to teach these rapscallions a lesson!

Unfortunately, no pictures of this one. This time, there were three pieces of LOS-blocking terrain, one in each deployment zone, one in the middle of the map.

This one I probably should have lost, to be honest. The grey knights had vortex of doom, and the only reason it didn't rip me up more was that I had made the (tactically questionable) decision to split up my intercessors and captain, getting him up close with the idea of them giving fire support until he had them tied up. As it was, he took several mortal wounds from Vortex, and then got smacked up pretty good. Luckily, he was able to take two of them out in melee, before my intercessor squad was able to get in and clean things up.

However, this honestly was only possible because the other player was rolling like crap. His shooting was better, his melee was better, and he had a psychic phase. My only advantage was having more Wounds for him to eat through. Not being battleforged hurt me a lot more than it hurt him. Luckily for me, I don't think he got above a two in his last two rounds. Thanks to that, I was able to take him out with three intercessors remaining.

quote:

Though he was shaken up by the Grey Knights' Diet Smite and larp weapons, Captain Incusator's men were able to hold the day. Now assured of their battlefield of choice, they were poised to show the power and strength of pure iron will to all who fought on Herosand V!

Next week will be more of the same, and I'll try to get more pictures this time. Week after that, we move up to 400 points, and everyone will count as battleforged.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

goodness posted:

Was there a custom decal website to avoid for reasons or am I misremembering, is there a list somewhere?

I had some issues with Fallout Hobbies agreeing to do some stencils for me and never getting back to me. They never charged me, though, and I think other people have had okay luck?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Getting a bit closer on my Dreadnought.

I still need to work on some details on the base and do some washes/highlighting/weathering on the metallics, but I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far. I can't wait to bring this bad boy to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's Saturday, so I've once more gotten to play some small games of 40K in the local builder's league. I got more pictures this time, so hopefully this will be a better batrep.

Game Setup: Same as last week, it's 200 points, and as basic as possible to get people used to the game. No one counts as battleforged, so no ork kulturs, space marine chapter tactics or doctrines, etc. No real missions, just fights to the death.

My units: Gravis Captain and five intercessors, all from the Dark Imperium box.

The intercessor sergeant is run as having a power sword, as the league is officially easygoing on WYSIWYG.

My Narrative: Once more, we find ourselves on the battlefields of Herosand V!

Attracted by strange signals, the presence of enemies, or the possibility of a good meal/scrap, forces of the Imperium, Chaos, and Xenos have come to this frontier world, leaving destruction in their wake.

When last we left off, Captain Incusator and his band of intercessors had fought for first pickings of the battlegrounds. This week, they encounter their first xenos foes!

Match 1: Eldar

Their Forces: One autarch with a squad of Black Guardians and Shuriken Cannon.

quote:

Captain Incusator nodded as Sergeant Caminus approached. "What news, old bean?"

"One of the men spotted some Xenos scum. Eldar." He spat out the word.

"Ahh, the weakest flesh of all," the captain said, nodding. He hefted his power sword. "Let's see what they have to say, then."

"Monkeigh scum!" an imperious voice shouted from across the Herosandian valley. "Surrender at once, or you shall be destroyed!"

"'Fraid not, feller-me-lad!" the captain replied. "We don't know the meaning of the word. Why don't you give us a demonstration?" And with that, the Medusans charged.

Deployment. The Autarch is just off-screen beside his men elves.

I set up the terrain on the board, giving us each a line-of-sight blocker and putting some ruins in the middle, off to the side.

He finished deployment first, but I was able to seize initiative from him and got to go first. Since he was generally a shootier army, I focused on getting forward to him. I moved the intercessors forward and advanced with the captain. I managed to take out a couple of eldar with some shooting, but couldn't do much more.

He stayed where he was. I feel that if he'd moved back and made me chase him, he would have had a better chance in this fight. Soon, I was in charge range. My grav captain was down a couple of wounds and they'd taken out one of my intercessors, but I'd whittled his guardians down even further.

My captain charged in and took out his remaining guardians. On his turn, he charged in with his autarch.

The Clash of the Very Tiny Titans

Unfortunately, my captain was down to three wounds by that point, and the autarch soon had him down, without taking any damage himself.

Happily, by that point he was well within range of my intercessors. Their shooting didn't go terribly well, but he completely whiffed overwatch, and I now had all of my boys taking him into a group huddle.

'Sup, nerd.

The basic intercessors took off three wounds and the sergeant took off his other two with his power sword. Medusa Triumphant!

Match 2: Orks

Their Forces: One squad of slugga/choppa boyz with a boss nob, one squad of shoota boyz with heavy weapons boy with big shoota, and five stormboyz.

quote:

Captain Incusator was a bit worse the wear for the fight against the eldar, but a little bandaging and a nice cup of tea soon had him back on his feet.

And well it was, too, for a tide of green appeared on the horizon!

He shaded his eyes and looked closely. "I say, old boy, those appear to be orks."

"How can you tell, sir?" Sergeant Caminus asked.

"From the way they keep yelling 'waaagh' and 'orks is never beaten,'" he said.

"Ah, right you are, sir."

"Don't fret, young lad. After all, the fungus is weak."

Ork Deployment.

We used the same table section as the previous game, with no changes to the terrain. I set up pretty much identically. He set up his two blobs of boyz behind the LOS blocker, and put the stormboyz into the sky for deepstrike.

This is his first experience with models and wargaming, so he hadn't quite finished assembling his models, and hasn't gotten anything painted just yet. But that's part of the point of a builder's league, and I'm not going to shame him for still learning. Especially not with orks. I have six models; he has twenty-five.

I moved up quickly to get into cover, setting up my intercessors and captain into the ruins for cover.

Fortifying the Redoubt

Some shooting soon saw his boyz take some minor losses, and a couple of wounds headed my way.

Suddenly, death from the skies!

He brought his stormboyz out behind me. He charged my grav captain from two sides. The stormboyz failed their initial charge, but his choppa boyz piled in. Between overwatch, fighting back, and morale, they were routed. However, they did manage to get my captain down to three wounds. While my intercessors focused on his shootas across the map, my grav captain moved towards the stormboyz. He took one out with shooting, but failed his charge.

I'm not locked into melee with you! You're locked into melee with me!!

On his turn, he charged his stormboyz into my grav captain. He took out another wound, but one particularly good fighting roll later, and I had his entire stormboy squad taken out. Note to self: Remember to specify which melee weapon I'm using before rolling. I kept forgetting, and to be as fair as possible, I just defaulted to the power sword each time.

Finally, my intercessors moved down the board from the ruins, fired on his orks, and then charged in.

"Waaagh to you, sir!

At this point, he had three orks left, and I was making 16 attacks (3 from each intercessor, plus 4 from the sergeant). One Fighting phase later, and I was the victor.

quote:

As they stood over the bodies of the orks, Captain Incusator nodded in satisfaction. "Well done, lads! But now we face our greatest challenge yet."

"What's that, sir?"

"Getting ork stains out of our armor. Remember, clean iron is happy iron!"

This was the last round of 200 points. It's been a lot of fun, but I can't wait to start using stratagems, warlord traits, and chapter tactics as we head into the 400 point round. My grav captain is going to be even more of a beast next week, and I'll have some more firepower in my pocket as well. Of course, that goes for my enemies too. I think things will get a lot more interesting.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 19, 2020