Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Character can't be shot at unless they are the closest unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Added on 112 years have passed since Guilliman started his new crusade. The First of the new Dreads was the first Primaris Casualty that could not be healed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OhDearGodNo posted:

Every time I read the word T'au I hear my inner voice saying Tau, but with an annoying case of hiccups.

I really wish people would stop excessively using apostrophes to make words sound alien.

Appearntly it is still pronounced the same, just with a stupid apostrophe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Texmo posted:

I wouldn't expect any new releases of Regular Marines simply because they already have good recent kits for their whole range already, and don't have any gaps to fill for new releases.

The thing that kind of sucks about Primaris is that, by fluff, they all have the exact same armor, so you don't get the cool thing regular marines have of mix/matching different marks of armor to customize your dude, you've just got a bunch of identical clonetroopers, and they remind me a little bit of sigmarines in that regard.

The armor is stated to be very customizable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
None

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

theironjef posted:

Well, my Xenos 1 codex arrived, and I had never heard of Ynnari before, but as someone with eldar and dark eldar armies that has instantly become my jam. I'm gonna rebase the falling apart snow bases on my eldar tanks and get me some Ynnari leader dudes.

The Ynnari leaders all come together as a set as well.

Fake Edit: Heh just noticed this while looking them up the new Primaris Captain and Librarian boxed together cost just as much as the Ynnari Leaders.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Gathering-Storm-Triumvirate-of-Ynnead?_requestid=16886461
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Space-Marine-Primaris-Heroes-2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah I missed he linked the CA shop :v: 70 is better but still too much for non-character models

I probably should have pointed out my Canadianness.

Both the Ynnari leaders and Primaris Heroes do not cost 90 American.

But the Ynnari are still by far the better deal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Harkano posted:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Land_Raider_Excelsior

Where is the info that this can carry Primaris (as can the little dinky Rhino) coming from?

From what I can see these were a Warhammer World exclusive 2 pack back in 2015.

Nothing I think they just assumed this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JoshTheStampede posted:

Confirmation here that Successors and DIY chapters can use whatever CHapter Tactics they want: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/18/choosing-the-right-chapter-tactic-for-your-successors/

It also states the Salamanders stratagem is flamer based.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BULBASAUR posted:

I find it weird that IWs are getting retconned from being the premier siege legion

Salt within, bitter without!?

It's perfectly in character. Perturabo became a traitor mostly because Rogal Dorn kept getting credit for his accomplishments.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Senjuro posted:

But then the Horus Heresy becomes a lot less tragic. It's not about a family tearing itself apart anymore. If the Emprah doesn't care about Horus anymore then why doesn't he kill him immediately when they fight at the end? If he's such a huge dick then it also makes less sense that half the primarchs stay so fiercely loyal to him. I guess they'll come up with some retcon when they finish the book series in 20 years but this new dynamic between the Emprah and the primarchs just feel worse than what we had before.

The writers have implied that how the Heresy and the battle between Horus and the Emperor may have gone down much differently then what the Imperium at large was told.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BULBASAUR posted:

How isn't Guilliman the biggest marry sue in 41k?

Probably because he has flaws.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

I don't like World Eaters that much because they don't fit with me tactically, but Angron is a compelling character and is written well and had an epic take-down of Robot Girlyman

Guilliman posted:

"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artum posted:

He only isn't dead because a literal god walked up and ressed him.

He died in the first place because after stalling for time enough for all the other chapters to sabotage fulgrims ship instead of going "right, bye!" and teleporting away he tries to kill fulgrim one on one despite him now being a nigh unstoppable demon prince costing him his own life and the lives of too many of his men dragging his dying rear end out of there.

Another reason he admitted this was really stupid is because he could't beat Fulgrim one on one before Fulgrim turned into super powerful Daemon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be exact it was less the Emperor talking to him. (As he can't move anything anymore.) as much as he exerted psychic pressure and feelings towards Guilliman.

This is more or less Guillimans final thoughts on the meeting from the book.

quote:

Guilliman thought back again to his meeting with his father. He did not like to revisit the memory; it was as if the memory forced itself on him rather than he actively sought to recall it. The thing in the cradle of the ancient machines, fed by loathsome technology. And then the golden light, and then the pain…
Guilliman’s lips pressed thin. The display had been a form of control. The pain had been a form of control. He was tired of being used.
‘He is not a god,’ he said.
‘He is to me. He is to trillions. Why will you not accept the truth?’
‘To me, He was a father.’ A distant, uncaring, heartless, manipulative father, he thought. ‘And a lord. I have died for Him once, and would again. That does not give Him divinity.’
Coldness. That was the defining sensation of his meeting with the Emperor. Infinite, terrible coldness.
He had approached the meeting with dread, fearing what he would find. Would his father be dead? Would He be insane? Would they even be able to talk? When he had been admitted to the throne room and approached the Golden Throne, he had done so as he had approached his foster father Konor’s funeral, willing it all to be right, drowning in certain grief. Between the time of the Emperor’s ascension to the throne and Guilliman’s own death, the Emperor had spoken to no one. How could anything have persisted for ten thousand years, he had thought. There was the wizened corpse surrounded by banks of groaning machinery, His sword upon His knee. Sorrow suffused everything. The sacrifice required to keep the Emperor alive sickened the primarch. If He were alive. He appeared dead. Guilliman had expected nothing.
But He spoke.
With words of light and fire, the Emperor had conferred with His returned primarch, the last of His finest creations.
A creation. Not a son.
The living Emperor had been an artful being, as skilled at hiding His thoughts as He was at reading those of others. What remained of Him was powerful beyond comprehension, but it lacked the subtlety He had had whilst He walked among men. Speaking with the Emperor had been like conversing with a star. The Emperor’s words burned him.
What hurt most deeply was what went unsaid.
The Emperor greeted Guilliman not as a father receives a son, but as a craftsmen who rediscovers a favourite tool that he thought lost. He behaved like a prisoner locked in an iron cage who is passed a rasp.
Guilliman had no illusions. He was not the man who brought the rasp; he was the rasp.
While the Emperor had walked abroad, He had cloaked His manipulations in love. He had let His primarchs call Him father; He had let them call themselves His sons. He had rarely spoken those words Himself, Guilliman now realised, and when He had He had done so without sincerity. Buffeted by the full might of the Emperor’s will unclothed in flesh, a cloak had been ripped from Guilliman’s eyes.
The Emperor had allowed them to love Him, and to believe He loved them in return. He had not. His primarchs were weapons, that was all.
Though His power was immense, perhaps greater than it had been before He ascended, the Emperor’s humanity was all but gone. He could no longer mask His thoughts with a human face. The Emperor’s light was blinding, all encompassing, but finally – finally – Guilliman had seen it as a whole. The being he had thought of as a father could hide nothing from him.
The Emperor did not love His sons. They were things. Guilliman, all his brothers, were nothing but a means to an end.

And slightly earlier in the book. Upon going into a Cathedral.

quote:

Guilliman surveyed it all disapprovingly. Worship of his creator had become the bedrock of the Imperium. It was as pernicious as the efforts of Chaos, in its way. He did not understand it, but as he looked around this cathedral, one like many hundreds he had seen all across the Imperium, he doubted his own convictions regarding the Emperor’s divinity.
Theoretical, he thought. The Emperor is a god and denied His own divinity to protect humanity. Practical, He is a god.
Or, he continued to himself, Theoretical, the Emperor was not a god, but became one. Practical, He is a god.
He dismissed the idea angrily. These theoreticals had trooped through his thoughts so many times before he had grown weary of them, but his mind would not stop generating counter-arguments to his beliefs.
Theoretical, the Emperor was always a god, but was unaware of it. Practical, He is a god.
No, he thought.
Theoretical, the Emperor became a god to protect humanity. Practical, He is a god.
He is not a god, he thought.
Theoretical, Guilliman thought savagely now, turning his anger against his traitorous mind. The Emperor was never a god, denied He was a god and has been wrongly elevated by men who see power and mistake it for divinity. Practical, the Emperor is not a god.
‘He is not a god,’ said Guilliman out loud. He could not countenance the thought. A being that cold and callous was not worthy of worship.
Why, then, did the question dog him so?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here are the words of a fairly open minded Priest from the Ecclesiarchy. Which resulted in the first section I posted.

quote:

‘If your father has the power of a god, does that not make Him one, whether He believed Himself to be so or not?’ he said. ‘The Emperor protects us. It is evident in the actions of His holy saints, who are the will of the Emperor made manifest, and the Legion of the Damned, who appear at battle’s forlorn hope, and in the Emperor’s Tarot, whose readings guide ordinary men day to day.’

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 21, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Might as well post Guilliman's final thoughts over all. Including the part where he feels he has to, and has become more like the Empeorer.

quote:

‘It is done,’ said the primarch. ‘Espandor is free of Mortarion’s witchcraft. Its cleansing may begin.’
Guilliman put up and sheathed the sword. The fires went out, plunging the cathedral back into darkness, but a certain sanctity remained. By the Emperor’s own blade, Guilliman had driven back the baleful influence of Chaos. He could not deny the effect. He could not have defeated an enemy like that without the weapon.
Godlike, he thought.
Mathieu sank to his knees. ‘Praise be!’ he whispered. Tears ran down his face.
‘You are still alive?’ said Guilliman with mild surprise.
‘The Emperor protects. The Emperor protects!’ Mathieu said, partway into a religious fugue. ‘As you fought and others died, I was unharmed! Praise be, praise be! The Emperor has touched this place.’
Guilliman shrugged. Combat over, he was weary. The emptiness inside him seemed deeper for his encounter with the daemon. His hearts laboured, and his scar itched. ‘He remains potent, even now.’
‘I can feel His love for humanity,’ said Mathieu. ‘I can feel it all around me!’ He hesitated in his rapture. ‘Tell me, oh lord regent, truthfully – does the Emperor love us, my lord? Do not say I am wrong!’
The Emperor loves no one man, thought Guilliman. He cannot afford affection – that is the honest practical for the impossible task that faces the Master of Mankind. He did not love His sons, He does not love men, but He does love mankind. I find it hard to forgive Him. Did His solution have to be built on lies? Lies upon lies?
Mathieu’s question pushed Guilliman deeper into melancholy. More than anything, he yearned to speak with his foster father Konor one more time. He had been a noble soul, one who could be trusted. A true father.
Had you not died before the Emperor arrived in Ultramar, would I have abandoned you as quickly as my brothers abandoned their adoptive families? he asked himself.
He knew the answer to that, and it shamed him. No one is immune to the effects of such power, he told himself, but that did not make the truth any more palatable.
He understood. He knew what his father wanted to achieve, and why. Facing things like Qaramar brought it home to him time and again. Knowing what opposed mankind made him see the utility of lies. Could Guilliman honestly say he loved all the men who called himself his sons? He barely knew them, especially now – Cawl’s blasphemous hordes in particular. They, too, were a means to an end. He and his ‘father’ had that in common. The mantle of rulership was weighty, and moulded the man that bore it.
I never wanted to be a tyrant, thought the primarch. Perhaps my father did not wish to be so either. History has roles for us that cannot be denied. We are but pieces on the board of eternity.
‘My lord,’ said Mathieu into the primarch’s silence. ‘Please tell me, does the Emperor love us?’
We are so much more like you than you ever intended, thought Guilliman. You gave too much of yourself to us. Without realising, in your arrogance, you made yourself a father in truth. We are your sons, in every way. Did you see that?
‘My lord?’ said Mathieu
‘The Emperor loves us all,’ lied Roboute Guilliman. He looked over the broken statue and the few remains of the clock. ‘Now leave me be, Mathieu. I must consult with the tribune and the tetrarch.’

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Appearntly this also has a fairly interesting fluff reason. It's so Cawl's Techpriest followers can remove the and insert new boxes easily. As unlike the Marines, they see the Marine inside the box as the least important part. As the Redemptor has a flaw in that extended use tends to kill the Box occupant after some time. So Cawl and his Marines see the boxs more as batteries for the Dreadnoughts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Wow, the old Archaon model (horseback) is now 1) quite hard to come by and 2) quite pricey.

Wrong thead I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fate of Konor has started. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/27/the-fate-of-konor-battle-begins-now/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Just picked up Fabius Bile and Abaddon at my flgs for $20 together :dance: anyone have any experience with them in 8th?

Also thanks for another fantastic badcast. Definitely my most looked forward to podcast now.

:sparkles: Fuckbois4lyfe :sparkles:

Abaddon wrecks nearly anything he fights hitting on rerollable 2's and is hard is hard to put down. I don't know about Bile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's even called Absolutely not Abaddon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Is he holding a chaos version of the Eye of Thundara?

Also :argh:

Maybe I'll paint up the old school one and sell it locally, because now I really want that one.

Edit: oh it's wargame exclusive. They make some really cool, and really dumb models. I love their inquisition vehicles, not such a big fan of all their naked stuff though. :confuoot:

I would wait on it a bit. As there are some rumors that Abs is getting a new model.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Oh yeah? Awesome! I almost bought other poo poo today too, but I'm going to wait on the new codex. I'm sure the death guard are going to get way more fleshed out ( :haw: ) before anyone else in chaos gets new toys though.

Well Chaos Marines book comes before Death Guard book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GreenMarine posted:

I had the thought tonight that they are setting up Calgar to fall to chaos.

He still seems like he wants to do the right thing even if he is not happy right now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm prepping myself for disappointment on this one; in a leaked blurb for the iTunes downloadable book they only mention 3 powers each for Nurgle/Slaanesh/Tzeentch marks; I'm actually baffled by the notion that there may not even be unmarked powers in the book

e: gently caress the datacards preview even confirms this--the Chaos Datacards include 10 powers, one of which is smite. gently caress off with that poo poo, GW

I don't understand your complaint here.

They get six new Dark Hereticus powers, 3 of which are God Specific.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 30, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Black Legion one is similar to the Ultramarines one.

Also we can't really judge the legions purely on those Legion rules. The Stratagems also expand them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Going to point out that that second round of shooting Stratagem is not EC only. It's Slaneesh only. Meaning EC likely have a different Stratagem exclusive to them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, that's my point--there is also an Emperor's Children strategem, visible in the French scan ("Strategem Emperor's Children"). Endless Cacophony isn't the EC strategem, just a Slaanesh-specific one. I suspect we'll see 3 more of those.

Oh, that's neat. It's not super-powerful, but I like that you can wait until you lose a wound to activate it.

Yeah pointed this out eariler.

While Iron Warriors are similar to the Fists. That is kind of the point of them and why they hated the Fists.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pendent posted:

So I just noticed that in the generic warlord traits it only requires the warlord to be an Adeptus Astartes character. Can someone explain to me why this would not apply to Blood Angels?

It does apply to Blood Angels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I loved the "There are only supposed to be a few dozen traitor marines left, so this means we have inflicted an amazing 6000% casualties!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artum posted:

Played first game with the marine codex in any case, lost since my opponent was running 3 storm talons and I just dont have enough anti tank guns but was a fun game none the less. Biggest thing I managed was dropping orbital bombardment on his msu tactical squads and storm talons and basically cutting his army in half. Disappointingly my aggressors died to my opponents first turn of shooting after getting toasted by like 4-5 las cannon shots but given that they're 6 power I couldn't feel too annoyed. Inceptors are still overcosted garbage as they killed a single combat squad and then they got gunned down.

Ill probably replace the inceptors with the 10 man knife reivers once I get them assembled and the apothecary and repulsor will go a long way to making my aggressors work and help on anti tank.

Remember he auto loses if he only has flyers left.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PantsOptional posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks a lot like a World Eaters Khorne Berzerkers unit could activate four times on a charge if you use the stratagem?

No they just get an extra attack on a charge. They don't get to fight again, that would be too strong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Abbadon an already good unit got a buff here, by giving extra command points.

As I own both Abbadon and a Black Leigon army this is nice for me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

adamantium|wang posted:

He's got the Chaos book too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W069dPLTXg0

E: One power per god :argh:

All WC6 and 18" range, Tzeentch is +1 to Invulnerable saves or grants a 5++ if it doesn't have an invuln, Nurgle is -1 to all to hit rolls against that unit, Slaanesh is 5+ FNP

We knew there was only one power per god.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Couple interesting things I have learned. One Deamons can be taken as Troop choices in the Chaos Legions and it does not stop the detachment from getting stuff like Legion bonus and stuff. (Though they may not benefit from the unique rules.)

Also saw the Word Bearers Stratagem. Which is pretty much, we summon Daemons better then anything. Namely they can reroll any dice when preforming the summoning, and they don't suffer perils if they roll doubles or triples.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Alpha Legion Warlord trait applies until you run out of characters and they still get another warlord trait. So they can only get Slay the Warlord if they kill all Alpha Legion Characters.

The Word Bearers warlord trait is that all aura abilities of the Warlord have their range increased by 3 Inches. Which is pretty good for Dark Apostles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ha the Alpha Legion warlord trait is called. I am Alpharius.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also this confirms that Alpha Legion got the same strategem as Raven Guard, which is pretty good.

e: Also yeah, daemons are in the book as troops, but they don't have the <LEGION> keyword

For the Word Bearers. I would focus more on summoning the big guys over the little ones. Particularly now that they don't have to worry about Doubles and Triples and can reroll any dice they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I tend to agree with that. Good time to just use 3 dice for even mid-range summons.

Actually that raises an interesting question: If I make an army of chaos space marines and leave 500 points of daemons to summon, do I still get legion traits? Every unit in my detachment has the <LEGION> Keyword, since I don't have to specify what units the daemons are or add them to my list. My gut says that's kosher, you just can't start with any daemons on the table from the same detachment if you want to get the Legion trait

It for sure does not count against you summing them later in the battle. If it was not ok, the Word Bearers Strategem would not be about summoning Daemons.