Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Word Bearers Focus.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/05/legion-focus-word-bearers-aug-5gw-homepage-post-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Black_Nexus posted:

The dark pact is gonna be great too for word bearers because you get to pick and choose which dice to re-roll when you summon.

Daemons are cheaper too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/06/legion-focus-alpha-legion-aug6gw-homepage-post-2/

That Warlord Trait is still great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

No mention of infiltration ... ???

They did mention it. They just did not post the stratagem.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

I was expecting army-wide free infiltration like Traitor Legions had but if the only compromise is strategem-based infiltration then fine

Can you at least use it more than once, or can only one unit infiltrate now or something

It's the same as Raven Guard. So as many as you want to spend Command Points on.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm...okay with Black Legion, as they stand. They're definitely middle of the pack for legions now, and they're going to basically need Abaddon to function well, but their tactic is surprisingly good, and their warlord trait and stratagem are pretty great.

Abaddon alone kind of makes them very powerful, just because of how strong he is. Even without him they are still solid. But he is just a massive upgrade to them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I take it you cannot have a Greater Daemon in a CSM list?

You can summon one. Though it's only really feasible for Word Bearers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Bee posted:

Word Bearers: The sad thing about the Word Bearers is that they're going to need to buy an Index or wait for the Demons codex to get access to all of their best toys. The great thing about Word Bearers is that they get a crapton of those toys. I don't mind their morale boost not being the best when their chapter tactic isn't going to apply to the legions of demons they'll be pulling out of the ether each movement phase anyway. Unfortunately that also hampers their warlord trait, because it doesn't matter how loud your Dark Apostle or Exalted Champion speaks when only <Legion> units listen. If there was a way to count Chaos Demons as Legion units, they'd have amazing synergy by bringing out the right demon for the job every time and then buffing it up with a distant warlord. As is , the main use of the warlord trait seems to be effectively shepherding multiple units of actual marines at once, giving extra bubble wrap room and freeing up your movement phases to get summoning. It's an interesting setup, and probably the one with the most "but"s between theory and practice, but I like the unorthodox build for an unorthodox legion.

I see more as shepherding Cultists. Who benefit most form the buffs Dark Apostles give.

Like I can imagine a Word Bearers army that is just several Dark Apostles surrounded by Cultists. )With them being most spread out around the Warlord of them as his aura is bigger. The Cultist Meat Shields protect the Apostles who spend most of their time summoning more and more Daemons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

If I contacted GW support are they gonna be like "haha gently caress off" or are they gonna mail me a base for the cool Nurgle dude with all the bells

It heavily depends. They are pretty good and will normally send replacements. But there have been cases were if you are missing something they will send you another box of what you bought entirely.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

Black Legion are a bit weird. I wouldn't take their Warlord trait most of the time because it's marine-centric, but the +1 Ld and ability to advance and fire gives them a lot of flexibility if you build for it. That is, taking lots of plasma-heavy squads that can make the most use out of it. It's a different playstyle but it's really good for 4x Plasma chosen/4x Plasma havocs and especially plasma-toting bikes, who can get some sick distance and still pour on some damage. It's also great for terminators, where almost all of their gun options pair well with the rule. I think it's better than you think. I generally think they're great against Imperials, but potentially on par or worse than Iron Warriors against everything else. Hand of Night as an artifact is OK but I'd probably take something else most of the time.

Black Legion due to their Stratagem also prefer taking Normal Chaos Marines as Troop Choices over Cultists. And as well due to their Warlord Trait and a few other details. They shine best when fighting Imperium armies as pretty much all units get extra attacks each time they get a 5 then.

Abaddon is also really good unit that makes the Black Legion much better just by being in it. I did some Math and checked tested it out. Abaddon can actually beat Guilliman in a fight if he gets the charge off. The fact that he has all 4 chaos god marks also means you can do stuff like use the Khorne Stratagem that lets a unit fight a second time on him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DO IT TO IT posted:

Is it true that a World Eaters army can no longer take Khorne Berzerkers as Troops?

World Eaters can take Berzerkers as Troops.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

Codex: Alpha Legion

They don't really need it. The current Codex covers them great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bombogenesis posted:

I like Deathguard. I don't like the poxwalker models much. Anyone have any suggestions for proxies?

Whats the issue with Poxwalkers. They are a pretty cool model.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

I have to admit I was really goddamn antsy about the Chaos codex but the leaks coming out have mostly pacified me and I'll probably just remain a little bitter over the perpetual Chaos-shaming from Games Workshop but I can live with it

HOWEVER I would unironically want Codex: Alpha Legion

What Chaos Shaming. They are heavily promoting them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah that's my general feeling on it. The parts where he agonizes over the Emperor's current state and the state of the Imperium are interesting, but there's never any real conflict, even on a smaller scale. Everyone knows Guilliman isn't going to die (again) soon, so the least they can do is create real stakes by showing that there are worlds that weren't immediately saved and that hey, maybe a single primaris marine does die here and there.

It's actually stated that Guilliman's crusade did not reach all of the Imperiums worlds or go as far as he wanted it to. But it made good propaganda and gave the Imperium a good deal of hope even if it did not accomplish all it set out to do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dark vengeance is the 7th ed boxset

No the Six-II th ed boxset.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

Why does he have wings

Cause Mortarion is a Daemon Prince that has Wings. His Daemon Form has always been described with them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think we need a better view of it in different lighting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I suspect I will like Mortarion a lot more once I get a better look. Also I think his robe should be grey or brown instead of purple.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

They took my face from me

It looks more like they gave you both your faces.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have been reading the new Codex Chaos Space Marines on and off today at work. Probably my favorite Chaos Codex yet, and I say this as a 15 year player of World Eaters and Emperor's Children. Literally it gave me every thing I want as a Chaos player.

Basically, if you don't like the new CSM book :getout:

Also, I wish other mini games could make faction books that are half this nice.

And half as expensive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Bee posted:

This is AoS, not 40k (I swear, they're pushing Nurgle to the moon this year), but this might be what we have to look forward to with those multi-legged slug creatures.

I can't say I'm the biggest fan. I like goofy in my hams, and it still looks really goofy.

Nurgle tends to be really goofy.

The Dark Imperium book had a big meeting of Nurgle Daemons and they started singing and partying. While Ku'Gath Plaugefater was like "No more music, no more laughter, Grandfather Nurgle's business is serious business." While they ignored him and continued playing music and laughing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just too much going on in one model. The snail-centipede is cool by himself, but there's like one dude on him and there's a tree on him and some metal bits dragging behind him and that dude on the pole... get rid of all that and it'd look better.

It's a character. Presumably there will be less detailed snail beasts later on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

General Olloth posted:

What is it plowing? :confused:

The ground to spread diseases and spores I am guessing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Naramyth posted:

Also power level does not deal with summoning at all.

Uh yes it does. Pretty simply too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also did not see the Regimental Standard linked so I am putting it out.

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/08/23/regimental-standard-konor-war-diaries-part-5-drenthal/

"You’d be amazed at what an incentive to staying put it is to be surrounded on all sides by deep, unforgiving – and definitely not haunted or enemy-infested – ocean. It’s as if the planet itself is a Commissar, sternly but affectionately wagging a bolt pistol in one’s direction at all times."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

These guys are so the Alpha Legion it hurts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

No, it doesn't. Power level is used for the summoning roll, but you aren't setting aside Power points for summoned units. They're just free.

I thought you could do that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kroot don't eat Tyrinids cause apparently there is too much different stuff in them. Also the Shapers also have a feeling bad poo poo would happen if Tyrinid became part of the Kroot Makeup.

There are apparently three types of creatures they are not supposed to eat. Tyrinids as mentioned, Humans that worship chaos. (Don't want to get the chaos stuff in the Kroot makeup. This is a bit harder for the Kroot to do then the other two cause it's hard for them to tell the average cultist apart from any other human.) And lastly Tau, which is more a respect thing. Tau don't want Kroot to eat their dead and the Kroot owe the Tau, so they said ok we won't eat your dead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

The gently caress am I even looking at?

Pirate Docking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chutche2 posted:

So DG cultists seem pretty legit. They benefit from DG tactics, so they rapid fire at 18 inches and can move and shoot with heavy stubbers. Definitely going to grab 30 of those, not sure if I'm splitting them into 10 man units or if I'm putting them all together and burning the CP to stop them from running for a turn when they take heavy fire.

You can also put them next to Poxwalkers so as they kill the Cultists to prevent their shooting, they just keep adding to the poxwalkers numbers.

The Bee posted:

I'd say this answer hinges on whether Death Guard shares Chaos' "bring back an entire cultist unit from nothing" stratagem.

They don't have it, they instead have a thing were Poxwalkers can get a zombie for every infantry that dies that is friend or enemy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phyresis posted:

which genius picked this design ffs

Space Elves.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey question do we have any idea what the next codex after Tyranids will be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That incomplete model guy wanted to be involved in a campaign?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Had to post the other side of the story in that reddit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Der Waffle Mous posted:

IIRC the kiss was explicitly done through the victim's mouth. It wasn't an egg so much as a thing that altered the hosts' DNA. Instead of a chestburster part of the hypnotism was that the victim would feel compelled to have children with a (nominally) normal person, and *that* would be the first generation.

This was the recent lore I remembered. After the Hybrid was born the parents would be hypnotized by it and become cultists.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah thats a mean nerf to Commissars. Turn the immunity to Morale in exchange for a death, into a reroll instead. They can still be useful but it's a heavy nerf.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't know why the last two pics of the new GUO were not shown off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Beasts of Nurgle.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/30/the-sixth-day-of-nurgle-beasts-of-nurglegw-homepage-post-3/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

Blight drones are made when beasts of Nurgle finally realize that they accidentally kill all of their friends and no one actually likes them.
:smith:

To be exact it's when they realize this and get pissed off about it. Particularly if they were killed by someone they were trying to play with and realize that person did not like them. The anger they now feel causes them to shed their skin and erupt as Rot Flies. Were they now kill people and laugh about if they were killed in the past they tend to seek out their killers and partially break how their bodies work opening up their mouths in a massive way that they can't do normally, to swallow their target whole, were their victim will spend eternity being mangled by disease and horrid slime in the Fly.

Other then that the flies tend to just suck peoples heads off and laugh while doing so. And then they extrude the now plague infested skull which their plaugebearer rider will pick off to toss at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

I really do want Plague Marines riding rot flies in the future. If Putrid Blightkings can do it why not the Sons of Mortarion? :argh:

Yeah those models are cool too it's a shame 40k does not get them.