Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I want to say it's technically in the Terra system but it's in the warp.

The Grey Knights "base of operations"?

It's on Titan, Saturn's moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I used rifles cases for most of my vehicles since 1995. Worked great for rhinos, dreads and land speeders. Does not work for troops since they can slosh due to size.
Rifle case is like $20.

Using rifle cases can be risky though.

Some people can lose their minds just seeing a case that can hold a gun. There's also the theft angle too. People know what gun cases look like, and some will break into your car to steal what they think is a gun.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It seems all miniatures companies have issues with scale creep.

Also isn't House Escher supposed to be basically the underhive equivalent of Amazons?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If they're metal you don't even need to use the sonic. Just soak them in acetone for a few hours.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I traded armies with a friend for a day, just because we wanted to try each other's armies out for a few games.

Oh no I'm in love with the Kult of Spe

ed. And it's not even that expensive, cash-wise.

I feel the need.

Kult of Speed is deceptively expensive. Warbikes are $40 for 3.

The trukks and battlewagons aren't that bad though

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

goose willis posted:

Can I feel no pain a plasma self-death?

If I have multiple feel no pain abilities with different names, can I use them all or can I only use one?

"Bearer is slain"

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Good choice. People knock the card cases but they work just fine. Especially if you put them in one of the bags.

I have a bag that holds 2 of the card cases and 4 total card cases. I just swap out the cases depending on what I need for the day.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Meanwhile space capsules get away with using only air resistance and parachutes to not pancake after reentry.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah, Battlescribe isn't great right now. You have to double check every little thing since there are so many errors.

One that comes to mind is Company Veterans. Their loadout selection isn't working right.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm having a debate with myself for what to use to ferry some Black Templars across the board. I'm currently trying to decide between a Stormraven or a Landraider Crusader.

I'm thinking the Stormraven would be better on the table, but the Crusader is more fluffy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Land Raider Crusader. More capacity, tougher, and a complete monster. I ran one in a 3-game tournament the other week and stuffed it full of Deathwing Knights, Belial, and a Deathwing Ancient. I'd just charge in with the Crusader, unload the terminators and go to town.

Stormraven is still 14 wounds. Toughness and save is 1 worse, but wouldn't the -1 to hit compensate for that? Their armaments are very similar as well. Crusader can get a bonus stormbolter, but otherwise it's multimelta vs the Stormstrike launchers.

Crusader wins the cool factor, but being able to dump 12 dudes and a Dread in charge range almost wherever I want on on Turn 2 seems big.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

The crusader is noticeably tougher and holds more guys, which may matter for BTs with their big mixed squads. But you're right, the Raven puts out more offence and can carry a dread, which puts it ahead most of the time for me.

I suppose saying who I want to carry might help any advice. I'm thinking of putting Helbrecht (or a captain), Emperor's champion, an Apothecary, and a Company Veteran squad. The rest of the capacity I'll fill with what fits. Maybe a Lieutenant or more veterans, or a small crusader squad if the space is available.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To be honest I'll probably end up owning both at some point. Especially if I get the Stormraven first. I got the BT upgrade kit and I wouldn't want the pretty Landraider doors to go to waste.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Teleport them with a Weirdboy surrounded by thirty other boyz. Boom, 3+ on 2d6 to cast!

You just have to worry about blowing up.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I guess worry was the wrong word. I should have said plan on it blowing up.

If I had enough Grots I'd make a grot and weirdboy list. Mash them up front and use the grots to supercharge the weirdboys into doing a perils of the warp intentionally while they're in range of enemy units.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Weirdboyz have enough wounds that they can't die from their first peril. After that it's just gravy.

You have to worry more about the D3 mortal wounds to everything within 6". To grots or boyz it's not that big of a deal, but if you're going be getting +4 to your test you perils on a 8+.

Again, not a big deal for normal Ork units, but something like Meganobz could be risky.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It really is.

My preferred thing to do with many of the Ork lists I run is group enough boyz and grots to near guarantee jumping a full unit of Tankbustas with bomb squigs into the opponent's back line.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Did you guys know that game store hams get real mad when you contradict the way they thought the rules worked with the way they actually work? loving shocking.

It's not just hams. I had a owner of a store lose his poo poo on me because he hovers over games and keeps saying blatently wrong rules. I called him out on it once too many times.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Who the gently caress can play with those and think "Yeah nobody thinks I'm a pervert.

I'm kind of iffy on buying and playing with certain Malifaux models because of that reason. I just don't need that much T&A in my miniatures games.

For example, these two. Granted it's 2D but the minis are basically identical.

The one on the left isn't great, but it's okay. The one on the right is just gratuitous.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 25, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Amazon does flash sales for the Badger Patriot 105 fairly often. Normally it's $80, the sale drops it to $40-$50.

It's pretty much the AK-47 of the airbrush world.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TWSS posted:

Speaking of Orks, I have a huge lot available. Please excuse the terrible pictures, https://imgur.com/gallery/npaov

1 Plastic Warboss
1 Metal Mek with KFF
1 Metal Mek with Shokk attack Gun
1 Metal Painboy
1 converted fantasy black ork with banner
1 recast buzzgob big mek (unassembled)
8 Bikers
5 Deffkoptas (all rokkits)
2 battlewagons
1 trukk
3 Killa Kans (primed with airbrush)
64 Shoota Boyz (46 painted)
70 Slugga/Choppa Boyz (48 primed 22 painted/base coated)
6 Big Shoota Boyz
6 Rokkit Launcha Boyz
3 PK Nobz
1 Big Choppa Nob
9 Lootas with Mek
9 Burnas with Mek
16 Stormboyz
8 fantasy black orks converted to nobz (3 PK 5 big choppa)

I might be interested in the bikes or some boys depending on the price.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Booley posted:

So a guy I've been playing with just won a painted warhound for $300 on ebay. He's planning to use it in a 2k game next week. WTF do I bring to kill it?

Lots of units. It can only kill 2 units per turn (by shooting). Stay out of melee if you can and win on objectives.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Booley posted:

Assuming he runs it wysiwyg, turbo laser and Vulcan mega bolter. So as long as I can make it close, I should be OK. I'm blood angels, so librarian dread can throw a 4+ invuln on something. I'll just need to figure out what tax units to take to get some relic contemptors in.

Leviathans already have a 4++

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Warhound Inferno Cannon?

It's surprisingly hard to find them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Tankbustas are probably the worst finecast kit I've ever gotten. Since they have all sorts of armor plates and greeblies there are multiple flow gates coming off of every single one leading to the main body.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DiHK posted:

So Blood Angels Infantry & Bikers get +1S if they are within 6" of ANy Sanguinary Priests, and the "any" means it do\es not stack, right?

Correct.

Think of it like this

Are you within 6" of any Sanguinary Priests? If yes, you get +1S.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Those Flashgitz are sweet. They look like they were pulled out of a comic book.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

goose willis posted:

How labor-intensive is GW's casting process? Like, I'm just trying to figure out how arbitrary the prices are for all their models

The molds themselves for injection molding are crazy expensive, and they do wear out eventually.

That being said, GW does have higher prices than other companies that do injection molding.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Bee posted:

Eh. Raven Guard does it better imo, since instead of a Deep Strike it's a full-on advance deploy. That means you can do that, then move into a better charging range and attack. It also means they don't count as having moved in the movement phase, so they don't take penalties on firing heavy weapons. It doesn't help that Admech really likes their first turn alpha striking, so a deep strike is staving off their best feature.

That said, for Admech, being able to put a chunk your army behind an overextended foe and targeting their weakened flank with another alpha strike can be really handy, and Deep Striking a Knight sounds amazingly stupid.

Except if you don't go first then your unit is sitting out within 9" of the enemy. For a fragile, shooty army like Admech the safety of Deep Striking is drat good.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Strobe posted:

Does anybody in the thread have some (by "some" I mean 10) spare full-helmet Reiver heads? I've decided, purely on a whim, that I'm going to try and use them for all of my Primaris marines that I get to choose the helmet on, and there's no loving way I'm buying a $60 box to get ten heads.

Not full helmet, but if you decide to settle with just the facemask Reaver heads I have 10 spare.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That thing's adorable.

What did you use for the base?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Reminds me of a Necromorph

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Sex Cannon posted:

If they make 'em cheaper, then we're in business.

They did. It says the paragraph directly before the strategem.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Giant Isopod posted:

How do people base slot-base minis? I've been using basing paste to make lava bases, and since that involves a lot of drybrushing, I kept getting paint on minis if I did it after they were based, so in this last experiment I made a base around the slot, but that left the center exposed. I could cover it with more paste but then I'm back to having to paint around the mini.

Or maybe this is a better question for the painting thread.

I either clip the slot off and put it on a normal base. Or I just do the base first so I can just paint over any drybrushing mishaps.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The liquid in the tank looks awesome.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zasze posted:

Starting to get back into 8th and dug out my cacharadons army, for chapter rules how much push back do you think I would get if i tried to use the black templars re-roll charges rules with them?

Just keep in mind you can't use Librarians if you choose to use Black Templars rules.

Carcharadons are also most likely a Raven Guard successor and the Raven Guard rules are solid.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I prefer the Battlefleet Gothic style of 40k space combat.

Point blank broadside shooting and ramming.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crossposting from the Oath thread.

Finished up a Black Templar man.

I got some 3rd party transfers and this was my first time putting some on shoulder pads. Not sure if I like them or not. They seem a bit small.

Floppychop posted:

Oath complete!

Claiming the Monthly Challenge for his spooky skull mask and skulls on his chapter insignia.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anyone have some tips for this list before I assemble them all?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [1565pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Black Templars

+ HQ +

High Marshal Helbrecht [9 PL, 170pts]

The Emperor's Champion [4 PL, 75pts]

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 130pts]
. 9x Initiate
. Sword Brother: Boltgun, Chainsword

Crusader Squad [9 PL, 130pts]
. 9x Initiate

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 65pts]
. 4x Initiate

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 65pts]
. 4x Initiate

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 191pts]: Predator autocannon, Storm bolter, Two Lascannons

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 363pts]: 2x Heavy flamer
. Leviathan melee weapon: Leviathan siege claw, Meltagun
. Leviathan melee weapon: Leviathan siege drill, Meltagun

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 274pts]: Twin assault cannon, Twin heavy bolter, Two Hurricane Bolters, Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 102pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [420pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 77pts]: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun, Teeth of Terra

+ Elites +

Cenobyte Servitors [1 PL, 6pts]: 3x Cenobyte Servitor

Company Veterans [8 PL, 151pts]
. Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Plasma gun
. Veteran Sergeant: Combi-plasma, Power sword

Vanguard Veteran Squad [15 PL, 186pts]: Jump Pack
. Space Marine Veteran: 2x Chainsword
. Veteran Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Thunder hammer

++ Total: [115 PL, 1985pts] ++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SRM posted:

I'm not an armylist commenter really, but it's Templars so I thought I'd chime in. One of the big advantages of Crusader Squads is that they can get both heavy/special/power weapons at min size. I'm not saying you have to minmax or anything, but taking advantage of those weapon choices is a must. I don't know what's riding in what but at the moment if I was playing against you I'd just focus down the plasma company vets and your handful of vehicles and defang the army pretty hard. Regular Marines on foot without any rides or special weapons are just going to get merked in any given game - even in 900 point games I've played, my footslogging-heavy Templars just got wrecked. You might have the numbers there to survive some shooting, but you're not putting out much hurt outside of the Leviathan and Stormraven.

I'm planning on having Helbrecht, Emperor's Champion, the plasma Company Vets, a 5-man Crusader squad, and the Leviathan riding in the Stormraven. The crusader squad is there mainly if the Stormraven bites it and I need sacrificial models. General plan was to have it fly over to the enemy deployment on T1, dump everyone, and then they all shoot/charge whatever is most important that they can get to.

I have to say I think I like the idea of dual chainsword Vanguard Vets more than I think they'll actually perform well.

Think I should slim down the Crusader squads to take advantage of them being able to take special, heavy, and sarge weapons?

I have a small amount of SoB that I've thought about allying in, but the Leviathan and Stormraven chew up too many points. Those two pretty much there to stay, mainly because I like the models.