Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Any idea when the new easy to build kits are coming out?

I'm thinking about getting into 40k again. Last time I tried was 4th Ed, and everyone wanted to kick my rear end instead of teaching me so I gave up. Shadespire has made me want to try a minis game again. I dabbled in Warmachine and Bolt Action but those communities died while 40k lives on forever. My fingers still burn whenever I think about how I zip-kicker'd them together trying to build those Marines though, so tell me more about these easy to build kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

The easy-to-build ones mostly hold together without glue (the space marine backpacks could use some otherwise they tend to spin on the peg.) I highly recommend the First Strike box set, which gives you all 4 easy to build sets at almost half of the cost normally. Also if you do get the larger sets later, none of the sculpts from First Strike are duplicated there, which is a huge improvement over the similar age of sigmar intro set.

And if you use plastic cement there's no risk of gluing your fingers together!

I want to play either Tyranids or Necrons, but those box sets are mostly Marines, right? I hear Necrons are bad until they get a new codex, though.

Plastic cement sounds like a good plan.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My friends just pitched in and bought me the Tyranid starter set, a box of Genestealers, and a box of Gargoyles. So I guess I'm in!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo these things have ~options~. What should I set the dudes in the Tyranid starter box up with? Like I don't know if I should give my Genestealers pointy claws or grabby hands.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Good friends :cthulhu:

Get yourself some Gaunts! And eventually a 'fex or two. But that'll do for now :) Know what hive fleet / color scheme you like yet?

Yeah ~options~ is a thing with GW minis so you can screw up before you've even started! :downs:

Luckily Tyranids are pretty good all around right now and 8th helped with balance across the board so there's not as many plain awful choices. Its more about tweaking your list to be better at killing this or better at killing that or balanced for both.

With a small size force like that not really any way to go wrong.

But Goose Willis suggestion of the 1d4chan page is a great way to get you primed on some of the strategy. Just make sure you heed his words and avoid clicking ANY links lol.

If I want balanced, is a pair of talons and a pair of claws on each one (plus one with a fancy ooze cannon or whatever it's called) good to go with? I think the Trygon is going to stay the basic Trygon and not a prime version or that weird maw creature. I love the way Gaunts look so I'll be picking those up ASAP. The whole thing started with me asking my friend to pick up that $8 box of Gaunts from his morning trip to The War Store's warehouse because I wanted to try various painting techniques on them, and he came back with the Start Collecting box and a box of Genestealers. I'm not looking forward to putting all the Genestealers together. My friend's already taken the Broodlord home to pin it to the weird shell it stands on because normal glue isn't going to hold that on worth a drat.

I don't know the hive fleet yet. I browsed the 1d4chan post and it sounds good but I don't know what I'll need until I actually play a game. My first few are going to be 500 points, so what's recommended? The closest thing to 40k I played was Bolt Action, and I liked being shooty and hard to kill, which is why Genestealers might not be the best for me, but we'll see - I have 500 points-ish now.

I don't like 40k lore really (sorry!) which is why if I was going to play it was going to be Tyranids. They don't care about a grimdark universe or gods or politics, they just want to eat things.

As for paint schemes, I don't know yet. I did a cool black and dark purple scheme with snow for my Shadespire undead, and I want to do some cool Snow Bugs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm browsing The War Store for gifts for my friends who got me my Tyranids, but I'm at a loss. What's something in the $20-30 range (I don't have a cushy six-figure job like they do unfortunately so $80 box sets are out of my price range) that a 40k player would want but wouldn't necessarily buy for themselves?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Tau and Ultramarines. They paint but are lazy about doing anything but priming them, except one got an airbrush as a gift so they're doing that. They just use the small Chessex dice like everyone else because it's easy to grab a handful and chuck 'em, are there some fancy well-balanced dice I'm not aware of yet?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Was really happy and settled on my tyranid colour scheme of Zandri Dust shaded with Agrax flesh and Xereus Purple shaded with Druchii Violet carapace...until I realized that's literally just Leviathan.

:negative:

The Kraken and Leviathan schemes are easy to paint so they look cool as heck. White body tinted with one of the brownish Citadel washes, then paint the catapace some eye-catching color. It's low effort and looks great, but it looks like everyone else's Tyranids. :(

I started using a color primer to paint my bugs purple, with a black carapace, and some blue highlights, like they prefer to do their thing at night or something. I'm not sure if I need to base coat over the primer though? It looks good as is, and I'm going to finish it with a varnish. Is the correct thing to do (if I don't want to drive myself crazy basecoating every little spiky bit and crevice of these big monsters) to spray a primer on, then spraypaint it with one of those Citadel sprays, and then accent it with layer paint, dry brushing, and washes?

Meanwhile I played my first two games last night! 522 points (Trygon with adrenal glands, 16 Genestealers, and a Broodlord, Hive Fleet Kraken). It was a lot of fun! I got the phases down right away from all my Magic experience, but there's a lot of die rolling steps I don't think I have completely down yet - mostly the various types of saves. I first tried in 4th Edition, and I love that there's no crazy chart to hit or wound anymore.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to pick up used minis, what's a fair price to ask, percentage of MSRP-wise? I'm looking to get some unpainted, unprimed (but preferably assembled because I'm terrible at it) Tyranid stuff on the cheap, maybe even trade for Magic cards. My LGS only has things that are useless and/or under fifty coats of globbed-on paint.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The dude who got banned ran a Facebook Magic the Gathering hate speech page, which where they would run drafts of which female MTG players they'd want to gently caress.

Right before this, a guy who made a YouTube career out of harassing Magic personalities (especially women) got banned when a cosplayer quit the scene because of him and a bunch of other victims decided to speak out. Predictably, he decided to play the victim for having his "free speech" violated.

Wizards of the Coast is extremely on the inclusivity train and it's not going over well with the alt-right dirtbags.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I haven't been to a game store in years, like ever since third edition, and for all my recent purposes I've just been ordering things online

Are they still places you can just show up unannounced and slam hams

I don't know about unannounced, but with very minimal effort on Facebook you can scrounge one up at my LGS. There are always at least two 40k games going on there at any time. I guess I have seen some success with people catching others at the end of one of their games and asking for a ham-slamming, but it surprises me because it's not like a card game - there's actual setup and a one to two hour time commitment involved in 40k.

P.S. adding "slam hams" into my wargaming phrase-book.

Also why the heck are Carnifexes sold out everywhere? :(

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm new to 40k, and it seems like 8th edition shakes things up a fair bit with Chapter Approved and all that so maybe you guys are as in the dark as I am. Is 40k like Warmachine, Malifaux, or any other minis game released since 40k existed where new units/models will come out for armies that already have books? Or is Imperial Guard for instance always going to have what's in their book and nothing else will ever change until 9th edition (which is... when?) except for point costs in Chapter Approved 2 or whatever?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

i thought I had a cool, unique color scheme for my Tyranids but I was looking through the paint app and it turns out I basically independently invented Hive Fleet Gorgon :(

Me too, but Hydra with more purple than blue. Who's to say that your hive fleet colors aren't a splinter hive fleet though? Same rules, doesn't matter the color.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Necron Tesseract, last night I played against it in a 1000 point game and learned that apparently you can't charge it unless your model's highest point comes within an inch of the Tesseract's model. Or just reaching the base is fine. It ate my army thanks to its mortal wound spam and me not being able to roll high enough to charge even with my Kraken Nids.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's the deal with the tentacle egg cluster things on the Genestealer sprue?

Set 'em up and pop your Genestealers out of them if they're in reserve, but hope your enemy doesn't look at them cross-ways too closely before or they'll spontaneously combust.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Does there exist some kind of program that will make Magic card sized data sheets of my units for easy reference during a game? I printed out my Battle Scribe sheets, but fumbling through six sheets of paper to find the value I need is frustrating.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The astronomical number of ways to build a Carnifex makes me wish I were confident enough to magnetize. Two come in the box and I was thinking about making one a "dakkafex" and one a "meleefex" but even then there's tons of options. Are there the proper bits in the Carnifex Brood kit to build a Screamer Killer? That looks like the right choice for a meleefex for my Kraken army. The dakka one would go in a Kronos detachment.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Termagant box claims to come with one Ripper Swarm, but would anybody call foul if I just got another base and split up the Rippers to make two swarms?

I had no idea what that piece was on my Genestealer sprue. I determined it must've been some weapon the Genestealers used to be able to take in an earlier edition that wasn't there in 8th and just stayed on the sprue because they haven't updated the plastic money-making machine yet. Then I saw a used Ripper Swarm in the case at my LGS and realized what it was.

I think three is the minimum on a base, which makes sense because they have three wounds. If you're just playing for fun and learning, I don't think anyone's going to complain that you just have one on the base for now until you glue more on for tournaments.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Chaos stuff, I just found out this model exists and I need it:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Daemons-of-Tzeentch-Blue-Scribes

Is it playable in 40k? I have all sorts of ideas for painting that book!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My LGS has what I just realized are old metal Biovores in the used display case. Are those able to be used as Biovores in 8th edition, or are they much smaller than the newer sculpts (which I haven't seen in person)?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

I'm currently using 3 old tiny biovores, 3 of the newer ones, and 3 old metal tyrant guard I've converted with extra gun and fleshy bits.

Helps differentiate the squads at the very least. :v:

What size bases are the newer ones on? That's probably more important than model size.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Trying to learn positioning, especially on deployment, is messing me up. I rolled a six with a +1 to go first today, my friend stole the initiative, and blew away 1/3rd of my points before I even got to do anything. A whole unit of Genestealers, a Tyrannofex with Rupture Cannon, and a unit of Hive Guard all gone, with my Biovores engaged and unable to shoot. Are there any good YouTube videos on dealing with that stuff?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

What the hell was he running to blow away all of that and manage a t1 charge on an artillery unit?

Hive Guard never have any reason to be within LoS, so their main weakness will be deep striking units. Plan for where an opponent can drop within LoS and either block it off, or set a trap.
For Biovores, again ensure they are properly screened from early charges. Cheap gaunts or rippers in good positions will help, and again they don't need LoS.
Genestealers can be held in reserve to avoid getting them blown away early on and used for a free counter-charge. The trick is to put the infestation nodes right next to your own units so they can't get easily removed by deep striking units.
Tfexes are tricky to position as ideally you don't want to move them, but you can mitigate damage with Venomthropes/Malanthropes and the right hive fleet traits.

Magnus the Red moved, used a psychic power to move again, and then charged my Hive Guard who were hiding out of LoS behind a wall. Khorne Berserkers deep striked behind my Genestealers and wiped them out. Obliterators with a +1 to hit power blew away my Tyrannofex.

I forgot about infestation nodes. Can they block deep-striking units? By that I mean do they have to come in 9" away from an infestation node? I did use a unit of Rippers to block him from deep-striking behind my Hive Guard, but it didn't matter because Magnus flies and moves so quickly.

It was really Magnus that was the problem. It was hard to keep up with his d6/2d6 Smite and ability to one-shot even my Hive Tyrant or Trygon in a single combat. If I went first I might've been able to kill or seriously hurt him. My shooty units were all in a Kronos detachment and I could've used Single-Minded Annihilation. Khorne Berserkers wrecking my Genestealers was just bad positioning by myself.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

How did he deepstrike Khorne Berserkers?

In general, make sure you have enough angled LoS-blocking stuff so that Turn 1 shooting isn't a gallery. Some area cover is always important too.

Warptime Magnus is definitely a beast, don't know what to suggest there as I have not fielded or faced him.

Some stratagem let him deep-strike them.

LoS-blocking terrain is a problem in my LGS. There's a lot of hills that aren't tall enough to hide even a Genestealer model from LoS, Gothic-looking terrain with tons of open windows/doors/large cracks to give a clear view from almost any angle, some rock pillars that might give a Carnifex half cover, and maybe one wall. I think the lack of LoS-blocking terrain at my LGS has warped the meta a little bit, but I can't be certain.

Not everyone's going to be bringing $110 Lords of War to the table, so getting crushed by Magnus isn't a huge setback to me enjoying the game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

For infestation nodes, it's the other way around. They're most vulnerable to deep-striking units as you have to remove them as soon as something comes within 9", but by placing them under friendly units they are protected from that. Without deep-striking units, nodes are only vulnerable to very fast units like Flyers or warptime. So long as you don't lose all four, you can virtually guarantee 'stealer counter-charges in your own deployment zone, which is a fantastic response to Berserkers.

Since you're using Kronos, did you try the Deepest Shadow strat on Magnus? Between that, SitW & DtW it could help curtail some of his bullshit. Bonus style points if you have a Kronos warlord with Soul Hunger, or a Balethorn Cannon to stop him using his invuln save (and therefore the re-roll).

My Hive Tyrant is in a Kronos detachment and has the Miasma Cannon. I suppose I could make that a Balethorn Cannon. People don't really seem to run the 10+ dude units that a Stranglethorn Cannon would be good against, but I hate invulnerable saves so much that I might try out the Balethorn. Deepest Shadow would've been cool had I known it existed. The last game we played, I whipped up that Kronos detachment on the spot with the only knowledge I had being it let my reroll 1s to hit in shooting if I didn't move. He'd still get that +2 to the roll, but that means he's only smiting on a 5+ on one die and can't land the Super Smite.

Frobbe posted:

Suggest that the ground floor of any buildings are to be treated as LoS blocking. This houserule has been used many places with great success.

I posted in my group's Facebook group that our main LGS doesn't have a lot of LoS terrain. Someone said it was because 7th edition and possibly some prior editions didn't care about that stuff as much. I do remember watching people getting down to eye level and squinting and arguing about how many models in a unit their unit could see and all that. I don't think I could persuade them to use this rule, but in the discussion among themselves someone pointed out that if an infantry unit is within the square base that a building is on, they get cover. The building footprint (imaginary rectangle around the building) doesn't matter, it's actually the whole square base the terrain piece sits on. I don't know how that works for free-standing buildings on a battlemat or whatever, I just go along with whatever people tell me about terrain because I'm new - even if it contradicts something someone else told me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What do the plus signs mean for a test? Is 5+ an armor save, 5++ an invuln, and 5+++ a FNP?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've only been playing a few weeks, but my Tyranids have already made the paper! Well the digital version, at least. Newsday came to my LGS to do a piece on gaming. The store owner thought they were coming the next week, so he ran and asked if anyone had any painted models. We set ours up as if it were mid-game and the photographer snapped a bunch of pictures.

My Hive Tyrant is mostly armless until I get it magnetized.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Wondering how you all would deal with this. I went to watch my friend play in a tournament today. I don't have 2k points or I would have tried. His second round opponent set up his models really haphazardly, as in he'd literally grab a unit of Orks by the handful and slap them down on the table. Almost none of them were standing flat on their bases, and if they were, it was entirely by chance. He had a lot of models in various stages of painting, and I could tell it was pissing my friend off.

Would you tell the guy to deploy his models like he was supposed to, or just let it fly? People were playing Guard and Tyranid armies with as many models and doing the right thing.

Also someone was playing a Chaos Daemons army with four giant models: Lord of Change or that other one from the same kit, Magnus the Red, some Khorne half-tank centaur thing, and something else I didn't recognize along with a sorcerer of some kind that must've been his HQ. My friends said he "deserved to lose" for bringing that, but it looked fun to me! The all Carnifexes and Exocrines list apparently tabled him in two turns, so it can't be that busted, right?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

They've been doing a pretty consistent job turning out new stuff for Khorne, Tzeentch, and Nurgle so far, to the point where it hasn't felt like there's been a huge gap between any of them. If we don't get Slaanesh rumblings by year's end, then I'd start to worry.

When I came into the game it looked like Nurgle was the Ultramarines of Chaos stuff. It looks like I might be biased and it was just that Death Guard had recently been released so they were the hot Chaos faction?

My friends want to play AoS, but I'm loathe to get into another miniatures game after dipping into 40k. I do want to paint some Tzeentch stuff though. Most of the models are compatible back and forth between games if I do decide to go that route, right?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

the new Lord of Change

This is my vote for best model in Warhammer by the way. It's hard to pick between it and Kairos Fateweaver, but maybe I don't have to because they're the same kit.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Venomthropes or the Neurothrope + 2 Zoanthropes? I didn't realize they were the same box. The -1 to hit is great, but that's about all the Venomthropes do right? Meanwhile the Neurothrope is a cheap HQ, but with Smite possibly getting nerfed they might take a hit as far as usefulness.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

Unless you plan to get another box, don't bother building just 2 Venomthropes. You need 3+ to give the hit bonus to monsters and 2 will be easily sniped.

I can build three from the box, but maybe you're right - if one gets sniped, all my big bugs lose the -1 to hit. My friend is selling me his old metal Zoanthropes, so I'll probably still make these Venomthropes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My friends who have been playing for years say that normal Marines are going to be gradually phased out in favor of Primaris sized models. It makes sense, Primaris have way more detail and it's GW's way of selling all new toys. My LGS's used case is full of Marines, and I get the feeling that anyone who wants to get into 40k and doesn't mind playing Marines can easily walk into any LGS and grab a bucketful of Marines for pennies on the MSRP dollar. That doesn't really jive with GW's sales model, so by going to Primaris they reset the clock on the used model market.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, though I can't find any information on it easily - wasn't there a time where GW decreed that online retailers couldn't show photographs of their products they were selling?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I started a month ago, and here's what I have now thanks to store credit and trading in Magic cards:

Hive Tyrant
Trygon
Broodlord
Tyrannofex
Harpy
Neurothrope (old metal)
2 Carnifexes
3 Biovores (old metal)
3 Hive Guard
3 Venomthropes
6 Tyranid Warriors
6 Ripper Swarms (maybe more, need to check my Gaunt/Genestealer sprues and I need bases)
10 Gargoyles
16 Genestealers (plus another box of 8 unbuilt)
25 Termagants (I need 5 more, going to buy a snap-together kit)
And a bunch of Spore Mines

The only things I really want besides the five more Termagants is three more Hive Guard and as many Carnifexes as I can get my hands on because I love those models.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

MtG trade credit for that?! How many moxes did you have to trade :stare:

All of that was around $300 total with discounts from my LGS where I'm a Magic judge and The War Store which is a fifteen minute drive from me. Eight of the Termagants, the Harpy, and three Warriors were bought off a friend who stopped playing years ago. And I should've said, the Start Collecting box (Trygon, Broodlord, 8 Genestealers) and a box of Genestealers and a box of Gargoyles were "Hanukkah gifts" from my friends (aka bribes to get me to play with them).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I painted 25 Termagants today, mostly finished with them. All I can say is thankfully I chose a dark color scheme that makes it easy to hide mistakes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gilgameshback posted:

Even for BoLS this is outstandingly stupid:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/01/40k-op-ed-alternating-actions-would-kill-40k.html

This is an op-ed that professes to make an argument for why alternating activations would "kill" 40k. The reason the author gives is "it wouldn't be 40k" without the current turn structure. This rests on the idea that players moving all their units on their turns is a core part of the Warhammer experience and could not be removed without inventing a new game. I get that their writers are churning out 250 word articles just to get clicks and comments but even by that standard this is just so bad.

My last experience was Bolt Action, which if you're not aware is a system where everyone throws a colored die into a bucket for every unit they have, and one at a time is picked at random to determine the activation order. It was cool.

I wondered why 40k didn't do this or a more alternate-action thing with a shared turn, but figured I had no position to complain from after only playing a few games. I also thought that discussion was probably done to death and everyone just accepted that 40k was going to stay this way. Guess people are actually talking about it?

I do think it's odd that the fight phase works sort of that way, but no other phase does, and there's a CP option to interrupt which no other phase has.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
As someone learning to play, losing initiative and getting alpha striked sucks, but at the same time it's a hard way to learn deployment lessons. The only thing you can do to mitigate that is deploying properly. One game I thought I covered my back, but I left a small gap 9" away in a corner where my opponent put down some Khorne Bersekers and annihilated half my army before I said let's re-rack and try again.

Outside of deploying properly, I can't think of much you can do other than rely on pure luck. My ace in the hole is that Kronos strategem that forces my opponent to roll one die on a psychic test instead of two. It's not much, but combined with Shadow in the Warp and a deny it feels like a Counterspell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's funny how when j was starting out, having troops intimidated me. The movement on large units of small models was nerve-wracking, and I just wanted big monsters. Now that I'm more comfortable with the game, I want more troops. I want as many Genestealers as possible!

R0ckfish posted:

so I have one flyrent with HVC, should I be boring and make the other I have the same? I don't really want the swarmlord at the moment, but at the same time I feel like a walkrent is missing out on a lot other then fitting in cases.

I have one with a HVC that is going to be the Miasma Cannon, leading a Kronos detachment. I think the other is going to go all-out melee, with two pairs of talons, adrenal glands, and maybe Maw Claws of Thyrax.