Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The idea seems to be "Giant padded boots to make it clear these guys just fall from orbit and don't bother braking before they land," which... could have been cool?

I kinda don't mind how they look, although the welder's mask doesn't help.

They really remind me of the big stompa boots from Super Mario Bros.: The Movie, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deified Data posted:

With the Ynnari angle what are the odds Eldar and Dark Eldar get a combined Aeldari codex?

Seems more likely the Ynnari will be combined with the Harlequins in one codex, and the Craftworld Eldar and Dark Eldar will each get their own books.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Corrode posted:

If you're straight up using loyalist models and saying 'oh yeah they are CSM though' I would play you but quietly resent you.

What if it's Alpha Legion?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

goose willis posted:

Do the variants of plasma incinerators look different from each other? Because I don't know what I want to give my Dark Imperium hellblasters and I figure my opponents aren't gonna care which one they're armed with as long as I make it clear and they all have the same gun

Dark Imperium Hellblasters don't have variants; they all come regular plasma incinerators. To get heavy or assault plasma incinerator model bits, you need the multi-part kit.

(As for how they look, heavy plasma incinerators have gigantic power coils running from the gun to the backpack, and assault plasma incinerators have an additional coolant tank and a little underslung targeting doodad.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I asked this on RPGnet and people can't figure out what the answer is: Can a unit of Vanguard Veterans all be fielded with lightning claws, or does "The Veteran Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with two items from the following list: a storm shield, a relic blade, or an item from the Pistols or Melee Weapons lists" mean that while he does have access to both lists, he can only pick one item from each and therefore can't pick two lightning claws? Like, one would think the answer would be "Yes you can make a unit of gothy raven guard with all jump packs and lightning claws and beakie helmets purchased from bitz resellers" but, well.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JoshTheStampede posted:

You definitely can take two items from the lists - if you couldn't, and it was "You may take A, B, or C and not the same one twice", you wouldn't be able to take a pistol and a melee weapon, which would be silly and would invalidate like 90% of VV sarge loadouts.

Crossposting this from RPGnet because it's really bugging me:

Okay, so as nearly as I can tell, there's four possible reads of the following passage:

"The Veteran Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with two items from the following list: a storm shield, a relic blade, or an item from the Pistols or Melee Weapons lists"

1. The Most Permissive: "The Veteran sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with two of picks from the following list: Storm shield, relic blade, bolt pistol, grav-pistol, plasma pistol, chain sword, lightning claw, power axe, power fist, power lance, power maul, power sword, thunder hammer." This is clearly the awesomest read of the passage, because it lets you equip a guy with two power axes or two plasma pistols, and who doesn't want Veteran Sergeants with berzerker two-axe combat or twin guns akimbo? Weirdly, it also lets you pick two storm shields, although there's probably no harm in allowing that since two storm shields just lets you spend 5 extra points to take away all your attack options but grenades and doesn't provide any other benefit than that. It is really unlikely that whoever wrote that passage intended this read.

2. The Least Permissive: "The veteran sergeant who gives up his bolt pistol and chainsword must take either a storm shield or a relic blade or both, and if he does not take both may replace whichever one of those two items he doesn't take with one pick from either the Pistols or Melee Weapons list." This is a gramatically sound read of "two items from the following list: a storm shield, a relic blade, or an item from" etc. This read sucks and invalidates most historically valid Veteran Sergeant builds, but it is the most strictly correct read of the passage from a grammar perspective.

3. The Compromise: "The Veteran Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with two other options, one pick each from the following four options: storm shield, relic blade, something from the Pistols list, something from the Melee Weapons list." Under this ruling a Veteran Sergeant can have a storm shield and a chainsword, or a plasma pistol and a power axe, but can't have two lightning claws or cosplay as Cypher. It's kind of boring and also what most people will probably take away from the passage, although I think from a grammar perspective it's a less valid read than either of the above.

4. The Distressingly Likely: "The Veteran Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with two picks from the following list: Storm shield, relic blade, bolt pistol, grav-pistol, plasma pistol, chain sword, lightning claw, power axe, power fist, power lance, power maul, power sword, thunder hammer, as modified by common sense, where common sense is defined as a set of assumptions internalized by the passage's writer and assumed to be shared by all the readers, derived from an understanding of common principles of which models can take which gear as expressed by the rest of the Space Marine range." Under this read, you can take a storm shield and a power sword, and you can probably take two lightning claws because lightning claws are commonly wielded paired, but you can't take two plasma pistols because most models can't take two pistols, can't take two relic blades or thunder hammers because that's cheese, and can't take two storm shields because that's stupid. This read is awful. It's also about on par with the degree of rigor expressed in most rules systems across RPGs and tabletop war games.

Only under Read 1 and Read 4 can a Veteran Sergeant take two lightning claws.

Does that sound right?

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 30, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Re: Anniversary Primaris Captain, didn't the web previews all say that you'd be able to order it at your local store for a full year following that store's anniversary this year? GW made a whole big deal about "This way everyone will be able to get one!"

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
You can desaturate a paint by adding small amounts of its opposite in the color wheel. Try adding a very small amount of red to your green.

(You'll probably have to experiment to figure out which red and in what quantities....)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Here's a fuckin' longshot:

Anyone have an unused Raven Guard transfer sheet they want to sell? Not the one Forge World is currently selling, the old one that's no longer available.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Der Waffle Mous posted:

You mean the old space marines transfer sheet? They're the only first founding chapter that's not on that for some reason.

I mean this one.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Crossposted with the painting thread:

Reasonably happy with how my first attempt at a Raven Guard turned out. Need to iterate.

Imgur album with notes on what I did, how I hosed up, and how I sometimes fixed it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

OptimusWang posted:

Baby’s first army questions:

If I’m running a successor chapter, can I pull in characters from the main chapter and use them? If it helps, I’m specifically talking about a raven guard successor and wanting to add Kayvan Shrike.

Similar to the first question, can I use the dark fury assault squad? I don’t know poo poo about them other than they look cool.

Lastly, how effective is Saint Celestine paired with space marines? I was thinking about picking her up anyway just to paint, but if she’s useful that’s a big plus.

Thanks!

If you're using a successor chapter paintjob but a founding chapter's rules and people get pissy about not letting use the founding chapter's characters, why not just declare "For the purpose of this game, this army is actually the founding chapter, but with a slightly different color scheme for one military campaign"? The only problem is if you want to run one chapter's tactics and strategems and another chapter's characters.

Dark Fury Assault Squad seem like they can be fielded as counts-as vanguard vets with all lightning claws.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Cross-posted from the painting thread, since that seems to be allowed here:

Stephenls posted:

So the base isn't done as such; I still need to paint the rim black to sharpen it up, probably add another layer of snow flock to eliminate the salt-and-pepper effect I'm getting where there's just a few spots where no snow flock adhered and it looks like black dots, and the marine is still only stuck on there with his sole pins -- after I glue him down I'll need to add a bit more flock around his feet so he looks like he's standing in snow instead of on it. Also, in the category of things too late to fix on this base but that I could do for later ones, the colors aren't great because I tried to paint a woodland base and then stuck snow on it, instead of painting the base so it would look good with snow on it -- I ought to have used colder, darker colors to make the contrast between the snow and the bits of ground you can see around the snow pop more. And finally those grass tufts don't look great; I could use something like Woodland Scenics underbrush or bush flocking for a more voluminous surface that snow will actually rest on top of, like snow rests on real bushes.

The problem is I hate the overall effect and nothing I wrote in the above paragraph will fix the major problem, which is that I'm going for smooth snow like a blanket over the landscape, not... whatever the hell lumpy white gravel pit effect I've achieved here.

I could use baking soda on white glue, but research into that indicates it'll yellow and eventually liquify and run off the base in three to eight years, ruining the mini. I could use baking soda on superglue, but soda bicarbonate and cyanoacrilate chemically react, causing the glue to accelerate its drying and causing the soda to crystalize more permanently but clump up, ruining the smooth blanket effect. I could use talcum powder, but that's a lung hazard and also the only stuff they sell around here is scented like baby powder. I could use the paste Vince Venturello advocates in this video, but it's difficult to create a smooth blanket effect when spreading a thick paste around with a paintbrush and I sort of hate the globby clumpy snow effect he achieves there. Finally, I could just do a textured base and then carefully paint a smooth layer of snow on it using various blends of blue and white paint, but... yeesh, that feels like a lot of work.

Anybody have any other suggestions on better snow bases?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Alternately-alternately:

"He's not Kayvan Shrike, he's... uh... Layvan Thryke, chapter master of my successor chapter. He just uses the rules for Kayvak Shrike, the same way my successor chapter uses the rules for the Raven Guard."

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That black armour is loving gorgeous, holy poo poo :magical:

That mini has an Imgur album for the process I used, including the many, many mistakes I made along the way and how I managed to fix about half of them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's what most people do, yes, but you may come across a shitlord who will tell you that's not TECHNICALLY how the rules work, and he will be sadly correct.

This is what "Fine then he's Kayvan Shrike and they're just Raven Guard and they're temporarily repainted their armor in different colors and painted over their real chapter logo with a fake one for reasons; all my talk of successor chapters and Layvan Thryke was just typical Raven Guard attempts at deception, which you have seen through!" is for.

(This isn't even out of character for the Raven Guard! They're sneaky!)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 15, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Once again, crossposted from the painting thread. I think this is the third time I've posted this figure in here; I promise I won't post it a fourth time.

Actually super loving proud of that base.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

I just built a 5 man company vet squad with jump pack, storm shield and melta guns together. Only used them once, but they deleted a repulsor (and 6/10 Intercessors inside) on the first turn. A+ would field again.

This post confuses me because the 8th edition codex doesn’t seem to say jump packs are an option for company vets.

EDIT: In fact, I can’t find a single unit that can equip that combination of gear. Company vets can’t take jump packs, vanguard vets can’t take meltas, and assault marines can’t take storm shields.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 21, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Corrode posted:

Blood Angels per the index

Ah. Blood Angels.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 21, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Cross-posted from the painting thread, though this is arguably off-topic. Mea culpa if this isn't allowed, Ettin.

Stephenls posted:

I made another thing.

Specifically it is a set of scans of the swatch book I've made so I can see the colors of all my paints, plus commentary and explanation of how I made it. Sample pages:

This thing took me months. The Imgur album is 50 images long. I hope some people find it useful.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 2, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bonds0097 posted:

This is incredible. And a little frightening.

I just got so tired of making paint choices based on printed or online swatches. They suck. Now I can see what my paint colors really, actually are!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

goose willis posted:

Do chapters ever mix gene-seed?

All signs point to the Cacharodons being Raven Guard reinforced with a shitload of Night Lord geneseed they stole from a Night Lord planet they stomped flat one time.

Officially no.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Criminal there isn't a MK IV and Tartaros and MK III and Cataphractii options. I need half of both boxes constantly.

I'll be over here waiting for a MK V or MK VI box.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love the pastel Eldar.

Surely you mean... Pasteldar.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

SteelMentor posted:

If they were doing something as big as the Lion, you'd think they'd be making more song and dance about it.

That's possible, but it's also possible they're focusing on doing the Necromunda song and dance right now, and won't start hyping the return of Lion El'Jonson until... let's say the Monday following Necromunda's release. Can't interrupt your current big hype cycle with your next hype cycle, after all.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think that Dark Angels stuff looks pretty shady. Yes, the rules seem extremely strong, but that could technically be GW's usual weak balance. But would we really have a full stat breakdown of the next Primarch kit without even the sniff of a picture of the model? Seems odd someone was given a 'tidbit' of a complete breakdown of rules, but not sight of the book to mention what a new kit looks like.

That leak in particular does indeed feel all sorts of suspicious.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
It seems to me like GW is in an odd place when it comes to introducing the Lion, because after Guilliman, it really feels like another Primarch deserves something like another Gathering Storm, except their publication schedule right now is super-dominated by the push to get as many codexes out as possible as quickly as possible; they don't have time to fit another hardcover and triumvirate release in. And, if they're planning on releasing the Lion as a mini, it'd be weird to release the Dark Angels codex without his rules... but it would be equally weird to put out the codex with the rules without a big buildup, and also equally weird to delay the Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves' codex releases for longer just to have time to build up the Lion and Russ and whatever the hell the Blood Angels will have as their equivalent, whether that'll be a jumped-up Sanginaire or a returned Sanguinius or whatever.

So given that all options seem equally awkward, I guess just doing all the "The Lion has returned!" plot in the DA Codex itself and releasing the mini alongside it doesn't seem any less probable than "They're doing a mini of him, but not for six more months, and then his rules will only be with the mini and not in the codex."

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Okay, so if wounds are first allocated, then lost, this sounds like it comes from someone finding an instance where "suffer" is used such that in context it is clearly a synonym for "allocate." I have a sneaking suspicion the book has at least one instance of suffer being used as synonym for allocate and at least one instance of suffer being used as synonym for lose.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
They need to do a “Rich but mismatched army of a rogue trader” faction, but I don’t expect to see that for, oh, let’s say ten more years.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Zuul the Cat posted:

The idea of the rest of the local group and interstellar space just being filled with Tyranids and Orks is pretty super grimdark for all the other races.

Warhammer 50k is Warhammer 40k, except all the factions but Tyranids are just orks in cosplay.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I hear it has a rich history.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Cross-post from painting thread.

Stephenls posted:

Birbman #2 is coming along better than birbman #1 did. I'm pretty sure once I'm done the last Easy-to-Build Intercessor, I'll have a recipe I'm confident enough in that I can start batch-painting the Dark Imperium guys.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Strobe posted:

The red thirst has been around longer than Sanguinius's death. The Blood Angels hulk out in apoplectic rage because their dad died.

I'm really hoping that we end up with the Fallen being the next big semi/Chaos faction and getting a full Codex. There are enough gameplay mechanics for units with the <Fallen> keyword in the DA codex that it'd be really dumb to continue having the exactly one unit that nobody cares about. Plus, we've also gotten some fluff indications that the number of Fallen is "nearly Legion strength". Luther's escape, plus the Lion, plus the Fallen, could very well be the next big thing.

After Dark Mechanicum, please.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
If one were committed to painting a black-armored army and using white faceplates to designate sergeants (they’re Raven Guard and I don’t like the all-white-helmet scheme; likewise veterans will get white pauldrons instead of all-white arms), how might one go about approaching the problem of Reivers having white faceplates by default?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Artum posted:

Paint them bone.:skeltal:

Specifically zandri dust-> aggrax recess -> edge highlight ushabti -> point highlight pallid wych flesh.

An excellent solution, though I’ll probably use a darker, more aged bone recipe than that to go with my “as close to the surface of a stealth fighter jet as I can manage” dull, minimally highlighted black armor.

(Now if only there were an easier way to get more of those “bird skull” Raven Guard beakie helmets you only get one of in the old FW RG upgrade sprue.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Is there a clever way to swap the more elaborate multipart Inceptor assault bolters onto the Dark Imperium Inceptors that will let me build the full multipart Inceptors with plasma exterminators but won’t leave me short three pairs of shoulder pads?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Two Beans posted:

Before I die I hope its economically and physically possible to prime a space marine in Vantablack just so I could edge highlight with Abaddon Black.

You wouldn’t be able to see the edges to highlight them, unfortunately.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I think I asked this before but didn’t get an answer: Is there any way to get waterslide decals for squad numerals 11-20 in the High Gothic white numbering style used by e.g. the Dark Angels? The Dark Imperium set has five 16s and everything else, including the third-party sheets from China available on eBay, only go 1-10.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They've only gone that high since 8th edition. There might be a transfer sheet in the DA/BA boxes as they like that style but I have no idea, they might just come with the standard Ultramarine sheet.

Yeah everything is Ultramarine Roman numerals. I have plenty of those, but Raven Guard don’t use that font, and in fact kinda can’t use those transfers with their black armor and all.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The problem with calling it an allied list instead of an imperial soup list is that the former doesn't convey contempt. Many of the people who talk about imperial soup want to make it clear every time they reference it that they hate it, and a neutral word like allied just isn't suited to purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is there a top secret way to remove glued on bits from models you buy on eBay, or are you basically stuck with whatever the person before you put on there?

If they used superglue, you can make it brittle by putting it in the freezer.

If they used plastic glue, I dunno. Somebody else might have a suggestion.