Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

For the OP, the Warhammer subreddit should be r/warhammer40k. It's larger and the mods don't ban you just for existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The thing I like about 8th is that while people are talking about how there are ways to min/max, the system is modular enough to adjust to continually balance. I feel odd for saying this, but I have actual confidence that around NOVA the first adjustments may be made, especially if the tourney scene shows an overbearing meta forming.

I'd advise against goons actually making purchases over what now will be adjusted more often (especially with the return of Chapter Approved)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Bee posted:

So we've seen 3 Guard brigades at 2000 points being possible. How many brigades can other factions fit in 2000 points?

I probably could with my R&H, and just about any horde army.

I have a feeling the Brigade CP bonus will be dropped about 4-5 if it becomes the standard, I think it was put in as something intended to be difficult to fit.

Min/maxing squads just for the re-roll bonus goes against the whole point of the formation.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Sisko posted:

New edition has got me painting my Metalica Ad Mech. Props to our benevolent leader SRM for pushing me to do the cog pattern on the Dominus.

Those are badass. What did you use for the white? I'm looking at using VMA white grey with metallic medium.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

chutche2 posted:

Re balanced lists being best: I dunno. One of my friends has a list that's nothing but dreadnoughts and techmarines, and none of his games so far have even been close. Edition is still young though. But I do think skew lists are going to beat balanced lists, like in most games.

Thing is, what makes them super powerful? For matched play, a few tweaks to dread point cost might change that up, and for narrative bumping the PL up about 3-4 points per unit might be enough to tone it down without having a ripple effect.

I'm at least very hopeful.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

quote:

This item has been sold. See more items like this, below.

Well poo poo, that was quick

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Speaking of rush- there's a page that says, "replace these vehicles keywords REGIMENT and IMPERIUM with RENEGADES AND HERETICS and CHAOS.

They didn't change any of the values of the vehicles so BS values will be 4+ instead of 5+

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Every time I read the word T'au I hear my inner voice saying Tau, but with an annoying case of hiccups.

I really wish people would stop excessively using apostrophes to make words sound alien.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So are we still sticking flamers on every guardsman (or equivalent) special weapon slot?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

Blood of Kittens has results for one of the first 8th edition GP events:
http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2017/06/26/results-8th-edition-gt/

In case anyone was too lazy to check, the 1st place army:

Flyer Wing Detachment
3x Stormraven
• Twin Assault Cannon
• Twin Multi-Melta
• 2 Stormtrike Missile Launchers
• Hurricane Bolters

Flyer Wing Detachment
2x Stormhawk Interceptor
• 2 Assault Cannons
• Skyhammer Millile Launcher
• Icarus Storm Cannon
1x Stormraven
• Twin-Linked Lascannon
• Twin-Linked Multi-Melta
• 2 Stormtrike Missile Launchers
• Hurricane Bolters

Patrol Detachment
Captain with Jump Pack
6x Tactical Squad
• Heavy Flamer
• Powerfist
• Combi-Flamer

4x Stormravens, 2x Stormhawks, and Tac tax.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I think I found a way to add Scions for the herd:

If you were curious about the Minotaurs in the back, they are going to be Bullgryns once I figure out how to graft a grenadier gauntlet on them. The shield will be easy.

I'm still waiting for Centigors to be available, since Rough Riders look fun to field.

For my 1000 point test list I have Doombull as Nork Deddog to protect my Beastlord. I hope it turns out well.

All in all I'm in full panic-paint mode, I need to get a good chunk converted and painted by NOVA.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Miles O'Brian posted:

Add the paint chipping and I've pretty much forsaken metal forever. Still love some metal models as display pieces but for gaming, gently caress that poo poo forever

Testors Dullcote protects from chipping like you wouldn't believe.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Where does everyone go for scenery? I'm looking for more things like the SW:A mechanical stuff and city/industrial and less of the Gothic look.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hex Platformer is cheap and fun.

I e been looking at Pegasus. The chemical plant one is fantastic, only the scale is a little small.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Quick question regarding building a detachment- and while it seems obvious I'm really not sure anymore.

WRT faction keywords, the rule states, that in a restricted detachment all units in that detachment must share a faction keyword.

In the R&H list, all units have the [CHAOS] and [RENEGADES AND HERETICS] faction keywords.

In Index: Chaos, a Daemon Prince has the faction keywords [CHAOS] and [DAEMONS]

So with this info, if I wanted to fill out a battalion, I should be able to add a Daemon Prince within the same detachment, since it fills the [HQ] battlefield role, correct?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

More of the herd completed, another 20 to go, plus all the special weapons ones as well.

I'm sure everyone's tired of seeing it, but I rebased the Ghorgon to match the bases of the rest of the army.

If you are wondering what's going on with the knight on the base- I got a little carried away and put in one of my halloween LED candles. First, I cut through all of the vents, then I cut a hole in the bottom. Tossed in a band of plasticard, one half painted black (facing the outside) to keep the light from escaping where I didn't want it, and also painted the surrounding parts of the inside with chrome to reflect more. The plasticard conveniently does double-duty by providing tension that holds the 'candle' in place. For the interior, I just cut up some old industrial bases to make walls.

Here it is in video-gif format:

https://gfycat.com/CreamyPlumpAzurewingedmagpie

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Pendent posted:

As far as I'm concerned you can keep posting more pictures of that thing as much as you want. It's easily one of the most impressive conversions I've seen

Thanks!

I've want[d a beastmen army since around 3rd, but could never afford to do the conversions (plus almost everything was metal) so I'm making up for it. I'm just hoping to be done in time for the Narrative at NOVA. I'm struggling how to give Doombull a gun currently.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TKIY posted:

Some guy just went 5-0 in a UK GT with this list:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

8th edition ladies and gents.

Time to load up on LR Punishers.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Working on the Minotaur "Ogryns" today before the usual 4th festivities.

These are a bitch. I have to cut down the "A" version of a grenade gauntlet, and then trim down the minotaur's forearm to fit inside. I slabbed some green stuff on it, I figure I'll make them look grafted.

The shield was fairly easy- going to use leftover plates from vehicles, and some hose bits for the strap.

1 down, 3 to go.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Those Ogryn look good, gives me a real Doom Cyberdemon vibe. Can't wait to see your army at Nova!

I've been meaning to take more pictures of my stuff; kinda dropped off once I stopped doing oaths. Here's some Deathwatch Termies I've been working on:

One day I'll edge highlight black armor this well.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Finished assembling my Ogryns and Bone 'ead, added to the paint queue behind the Scions.

The Bone 'ead shield was a blast to make:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

Shadowsword is one of the dumbest loving names for a gigantic tank I've ever seen and is another symptom of the loving lazy "NounNoun" naming scheme that has plagued science fiction and fantasy ever since the advent of Warcraft

Yes but it's a amazingly gorgeous tank so I'm ok with it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

I'm not going to dispute the appearance of the tank but once you start noticing that naming scheme it becomes so thoroughly grating on you that you are filled with rage every time you see a new example of it and Games Workshop has not failed to surprise me

Remember, it comes from the company that has Warhammer Realmgate Wars: War Storm

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man I really love the conversions in your beastmen LatD army

Thanks- it's taken since about '98 to be in a position to actually make it, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm spamming the thread.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

Not at all, man. The thread needs more cool hobby poo poo.

The Bee posted:

If that's spamming the thread, then please, spam us more. Full conversions like this take insane amounts of work, and I hope you get the chance to show them off on the table sometime soon.

I'm hoping to have the army done by NOVA, which is around Labor Day.

I'll post more (working on making Doombull a version of Nork Deddog, but I hit a snag.

I made a custom ripper gun with a dread arm and what I think was the barrel of a dakkagun or something. Problem is I'm still trying to figure out what to use for his right/trigger arm. I was thinking of it being a U-shaped handle instead of a traditional grip- kinda like a SMART gun from Alien.

Anyone have any ideas?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nobody has PM'd me about it. I'd love to know where to go, etc.

Same

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, I was wondering this too - I was hoping I could make Sex Cannon do all the work because I'm poo poo at planning, but I guess anyone who wants to get hammered and throw down some hams, uhhh, I guess we're doing this next weekend, and I need to clean my house?

Who all is in on this - Felime, Beer4TheBeerGod, Sex Cannon, probably others? I'll PM you at some point this week when I'm drunk enough to send abusive PMs but not so drunk that I've forgetten where I live.

If anyone has a f table they can bring, I'd appreciate it - I have enough terrain between what's here and what I can steal from ShadowDaesh, but I need some like, sawhorses or whatever, to put the Realm of Battle tiles on.

EDIT: actually, scratch that, I have a folding table that'll probably work, so I'll sort it out with Daesh and we should be able to run 3 tables at once.

I have 2 fat mats if needed.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So where is the hamslam at?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

How many points or PL for the HAMSLAM? I want to know how much I need to quickly paint/assemble.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hopefully everyone will be too drunk to notice half my beastmen look oddly like Cadians.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Wasted a day I could have been painting because I keep seeing double. This is completely stupid.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Bloody Angel by Avatar

https://youtu.be/IDSEKt4Ax9E

Also anything on Conquering Dystopia like this:

https://youtu.be/ATMNVWq21A4

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

adamantium|wang posted:

So there was this black and white space marine on a black and white bike

Squad broken

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

a cock shaped fruit posted:

First time painting a loyalist space marine in years. So, many, years. Thoughts/criticism?

Shamefully lifted the colours off an internet image with a few little shifts of my own. Won't lie, painting this one 'LERN2PAINT' guy has me fired up to finish my primaris army.

Also have no idea what to name my chapter as of yet.

Fuckin rad. Raptors?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm trying to get Nork Doombull done by Saturday. The "SMART" gun took a long time to piece together. Bonus points if someone can name all the parts that made up the gun.

Also Beer, if you are going I need to offload some AoBR orks if you're interested: Boyz, burnaz, flash gitz, 2 Warbosses, liek 6 bikes, and I think 11 koptas.

You deserve it for convincing me to get a Star Citizen refund a while back.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

a cock shaped fruit posted:

AOBR had bikes....?

No just the orks. The other stuff I nabbed from a swap meet. Out of the lot I only wanted the looted Baneblade.

I think they are AoBR orks. They are almost all monopose and the heads just stick on...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Xarlaxas posted:

So, I uh, did a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-w_5yxbVmY

I just need to make the light fixture (more or less) permanent, and find some way to fit the music *inside* the Rhino. . . :v:

:krad:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I have the IA:AM ebook, do they update that to where I can remove and download an updated version from the digital site?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

jng2058 posted:

Which means some new Primaris guys are going to get handed off to the Blood Ravens...in shiny new armor...with brand new shiny guns....

Not so much handed off as "acquired."

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

God, that's the most :Cawl!: thing. I absolutely love how him and his buddies legitimately do not give less of a gently caress. I can't wait to see what kinda mad science bullshit they justify in the new Mechanicus book. :allears:

There should be a grimdark smilie for things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

richyp posted:

I gave GW money

Loving the old school jewel effect on the eye.