Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Double post: How much of an rear end in a top hat would I be if I were to use two Vultures w/TL punisher cannons in a 2000pt game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Milotic posted:

Depends on context. If you spring not one but two forgeworld models on someone, that could be somewhat dickish, yes. If you're telling your friend "Hey I'm bringing some cheese, and I want to try out some flyers, that cool", then that's less dickish. If he or she has no anti-air that's kind of crap though.

jadebullet posted:

Not any more dickish than my artillery regiment I am building that has an Avenger, a Vulture, a Minotaur and has the minotaur and 3 basilisks each backed up by a Trojan. Still isn't 6 Stormravens though, and Vultures are killable.

Cool, gonna pull the trigger on the buy then. As I'm wrapping up the beastmen (honestly I'm so sick of painting shades of brown/tan right now) I'm going to shift a bit to the next army I wanted to do, which is very Imperial Navy focused. To keep things balanced, it'll be a mix of flyers, Scions (to be Navy Security), and conscripts to represent crew having a lasgun shoved in their hands (likely Necromunda Orlocks).

I want this list to be somewhat competitive, and the current meta seems to have large numbers of infantry to lay down shots and rely on odds over AP. I'm very sure over time the meta will change, however the Vultures can always swap loadouts.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Q: Can a unit fire Overwatch at a Character if, when it
declares its charge at them, there are other visible enemy models
that are closer?
A: Yes.

This is surprisingly one that has come up often, good to have it clarified.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Finished the Bestigor Scions for the herd. Paint job is TT quality but hey it gets the job done right? I can't find the drat DSLR so I took quick phone shots. Overall these were the easiest out of all the conversions I've had to do for this army. I still have the Minataurs to paint, and Centigors to assemble.

I've figured for sentinels I'll use the Tuskgor-led chariots and find a way to add in a special weapons mount somehow.

Shot of the squad:

Non-special weapons duders have HS lasguns

Plasma dudes are monopose so I made one sorta different

One of the two melta dudes

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I wanted a way to make Nork a Bone 'ead Bullgryn when possible, so worked a bit more to get a magnetized shield.

The super-awesome SWA terrain kits have extra bits including a manhole cover. I cut off the surrounding "frame" leaving just the manhole cover and wrapped some chain around it.

Thank you to the goon who suggested getting the GW mold line tool. It's stupidly expensive and I used to mock it, however the metal is much more hefty than I thought, also the edges are surprisingly sharp- although not knife blade sharp. It's hard to explain, it's like the edges are perfect 90 degree angles. My only complaint is that the wood handle lacks a good grip texture and probably should have a larger diameter.

After Scratching my head over how to make it magnetic, and also give the appearance that he chain is wrapped around his arm, I noticed the chain was magnetic as well, so I just drilled a few holes to place a flush magnet behind the arm guards, and when I want to use the shield the chain just latches on. When I paint the arm, I paint and seal the exposed magnet disk and it's almost invisible.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I finished my Nork Doombull finally.

Beginning... gently caress finecast.

Random bits to make a large enough autogun

Things didn't really fit the way I wanted

Cut the right arm up and re-positioned the bend at the elbow

The shield is for when I want him to be a Bone'ead Ogryn instead of Nork. Took a while to find a way to make a shield secure and also easily removable

Just finished painting this little poo poo, didn't have my good camera so iphone will have to do

With the shield

Magnets hold it on

Maybe I should put casings on the base or something?

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 3, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

JackMack posted:

I agree casings. All your stuff is loving amazing by the way. I can't get enough of seeing it. The combination of innovation, old school idea and your execution just ticks every box for me. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks :hfive: it's something I've been wanting to do since 3rd and it's been a challenge, most of these sculpts are 20+ years old and it shows. I'll do the casings and maybe glue a few together to form a chain of falling brass from the ejection port- hopefully it won't look terrible.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Started working on Vulture #1 tonight, definitely need to pin the rear legs on the thing. I hope to have both assembled by this weekend.

Also, Ryza pattern lasguns look so amazing on a mkIV marine.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I don't mind a little pinning here or there, but c'mon- I had to do this because the FW tail stubs are nowhere near enough. These and the landing fins both needed pinning, and even now I worry I'll need to do the same to the tail booms eventually.

Don't even get me started on the "fit" of the afterburner.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Bullgryns completed, better pics when I don't have a headache.

e: Build pics:

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 8, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I wanted this to have its own post.

e: this is the work of my oldest son, who has an... affinity for Ultras.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Black_Nexus posted:

We need a bigger gif of this

My head is killing me, I'll make a better one that's more stable tomorrow

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

Get that better one out tomorrow and I'll add it to the OP, that rules.

https://giphy.com/gifs/g7O6N0G65K5SU/html5

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Your son is awesome, you are awesome for being an awesome Dad, everything about this is awesome and should be shared everywhere.

Thanks! You'll see him (and I) at NOVA if you're going.

panascope posted:

What kind of horrible parent gets their kid hooked on plastic - or god forbid resin - krokodil?

Other way around- I had been on the wagon since about mid 2001 when he came to me one afternoon a couple years ago asking if I had ever heard of Warhammer. It was over at that moment.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Do you have an imgur album with all your beastman pics? My buddy loves them in Fantasy / AoS and would love to see your guard versions.

Here's a shot of all that are "done"

And an album of things done as well as in progress

http://imgur.com/a/a1Uqp

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You're raising that boy right.

You should see the size of his chaos army.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 8, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Rough Riders taking shape. These are rough, they are semi-monopose with shields molded into the body- so I had to remove each left arm/shield and re-sculpt the side of the horse-body-part.

From there, just finding enough chainswords and cutting tiny hands out of them took a while. Hopefully I'll have them painted in the next couple days.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Here's a (bad) look at my first go at airbrushing - I'm pleased, by comparison to how I'd have done painting it manually anyway. That's like 20 mins of work, with most of it being messing with the paint itself. I think I'll finally allow myself to start painting more vehicles.

Does anyone know if there's a good Vallejo treatment of Russ Grey? Digging Citadel colors out of the pot to put into the airbrush cup is a pain in the rear end.

I dig the frost look.

Here is a Vallejo conversion chart for Citadel

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/f142859c2dceec389f5e57bb16b87547/CC072_Rev17.pdf

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/htmlview

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 11, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I picked up some Delaques about a year ago, psyched to have a reason to paint them- probably won't be any plastics for a while looking at the rate of Blood Bowl teams.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

Are they going to make Crimson Slaughter a thing again

They are only listed on one of those summary pages in the codex next to bands like the Red Corsairs and Brazen Beasts so I doubt it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Speaking of horrible lit photos, I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow but wanted to get at least one of my rough riders painted/based.

Tbh it's a bit rushed but I can come back later and neaten up.

This is the sergeant, I have 10 other duders, two with meltas instead of the typical spear/chainsword/laspistol.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Broken Record Talk posted:

Played with, multiple times. We've even done titan only battles.

Does every 40k player have those ikea glass display cases? I have 3 myself...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Detolfs are the go-to display case for nerd poo poo. Doa google image search for Detolfs, nobody's putting vases in those things.

Agree. They are also scary to put together.

I'm using 3 high color rated puck lights but they don't seem to reach the bottom shelves better.

I wonder if strip lighting on each level is better.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I never thought to use the nail polish racks for mans. Fantastic.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

NOVA goons: I'm back from a trip and need to panic-paint the rest of my army for the narrative.

The problem is that I'm running out of time to get things finished, and for the higher point games (2,000+) I may need to use both Vultures just to fill points. Would this be really bad form for the narrative?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

JoshTheStampede posted:

Im in the exact same boat as you - trying balance list building with "what can I get painted in 5 days", since I have about...1000 points painted right now. I told myself I woudln't buy anything at Forge World unless I got at least my 2000 list painted (and if I am lucky the 2500).

Maybe it'll work out and we'll end up matched with our half done armies.

I will be picking up 2 LRBTs tomorrow, hopefully to remove the need for one vulture up to at least the 2500pt one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

With the way army matchups go in the Narrative you're probably actually at a disadvantage having so many points in Flyers. If you're going to clearly outmatch someone however, you can always dedicate one Vulture to only killing civilians. I'm pretty sure Dan's doing that already.

The list with 2 vultures also has 6 infantry squads, I should be good but the new rules are troubling. I've already set to try and set a new record for civilian casualties so devoting them to that function seems like a viable course of action...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Not 40k but the female Sigmarine looks really cool, I like the functional armor over metal breast enhancers. I don't want to open a can of worms but it gives me confidence that they can pull off revamped SoB or even female marines.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Sex Cannon posted:

All civilians will die. I will fire Manticores at them if I have to. gently caress them.

6 IG infantry squads are not hard to kill if you're not going out of your way to hide them. Especially in NoVA missions. Expect them to die.

You won't kill more civies than me. No way, no how.

Oh, it's on.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Back from vacation and after spending half the weekend trying to find a good used car for a teenage daughter, I was finally able to finish the Rough Riders (Centigors)

Found out I was short a Sgt, so making another

Also made a vox caster for each squad- needed 5 more. Still need to do each special weapon for all 6.

Also, snagged a couple Leman Russes, one is built and ready for GS.

Finishing by NOVA is really going to come down to the wire, I'm not sure if I'll be done by Thursday or not. I know I will be there for Fri-Sun however.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Raphus C posted:

I like non-standard armies and yours is fun. Have you modelled nervous looking members of the administratum?

Not yet, I did consider it but only when I figured I'd be doing 50/50 human and beastman

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Last unpainted pic- I really wanted a Leman Russ Punisher but didn't have one. I was lucky in that when FW sent me the punisher cannons for the vultures they sent an extra- so I made my own.

Now I begin my paint-a-thon

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Urgent advice needed:

For killing hapless civilians and points notwithstanding: Nova cannon, autocannon, or battle cannon against unknown opponents for an LRBT?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

- Namedrop some nerds
- Expose my complete lack of sports knowledge

First, still going to win.

Second, Walgreens?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I probably won't make tomorrow, I'm still painting - 6 tanks, 3 sentinels, 2 flyers, and a baneblade (yes I know it's poo poo) left to go.

On the plus side, I have an airbrush.

I should be there Friday through Sunday however.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ok so the first NOVA fight I have is 1850 so I might be able to do it.

I hope there's parking

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ok so the first NOVA fight I have is 1850 so I might be able to do it.

I hope there's parking

Also my tanks aren't going to be fully painted, I'll be able to finish them tomorrow. Hope it's not an issue.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They have valet. When are you getting here?

I'm here. A bit late. I'll pm my number

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Had a blast doing the narrative last night- ended up playing against a somewhat inebriated goon (who's name escapes me) but was able to get me fully transitioned to 8th edition- thanks again for being patient while I flipped through stats over and over.

40k fuckbois 4 lyfe

Note: ALWAYS make a summary sheet.

Unfortunately non-40k life will keep me from going up today and for the night game... however I'll still be able to do Saturday and Sunday.

Also my oldest was wondering if pickup games are using PL and about how many?

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 1, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ineptmule posted:

From my eyes-and-hands-on experience - and of products that people here applaud as being excellent - no competitor of GW yet makes plastics of an equal quality.

Mantic, Dreamforge, North Star, Wyrd, Warlord - all of their plastic products are at an equivalent point in quality to where GW was 15 years ago.

I'd love to move away from GW but as someone for whom modelling is the main thing I enjoy from the hobby, no other company comes close to the potential from their basic boxes of minis.

Having once trying to deal with Warmachine plastic, this is spot on. GW plastics seem to be of the sort that Lego uses. It's strong, responds well to plastic and super glue, can be bent (to a point) and is not brittle. It's also easy to carve when needed.

The only downsides are that filing/sawing leaves persistent burrs that don't like to go away.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

At this point the only plastic toy making companies who produce better fitting plastic are Lego and Bandai (who can do single cast, multi-plastic, articulated parts). I don't think even the other Japanese companies are doing stuff as good as GW these days.

Also Warmachine are quite firmly bottom tier when it comes to plastics. Only plastic army men/cheap boardgame pieces are worse. Most CoolMiniOrNot big box miniature-boardgames have better casts and quality than Warmahordes plastics'restic'. Their new hard plastic stuff might be better.

I'd add that Dreamforge is only slightly below GW for plastic quality. I grabbed some Valkir Assault squads a couple years back and was really surprised.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Big McHuge posted:

40k Goons, I need your help!

A close friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago, and prior to that he had asked me to take care of his games. I was under the impression that he had meant just his board game collection, but apparently that included a fairly massive amount of miniatures as well. My GF and I are trying to sort through and document everything before we sell it for his family, and I was hoping that you all could give some input on prices. A fair amount of the models are older and/or out of print, and I haven't been in the 40k scene for probably 20 years.

I'm still documenting a massive amount of Orks and Space Wolves, but can anyone help out with a valuation of these Mordian Imperial Guard dudes? They're painted pretty decently.

Overview:

Close-ups:

Dude an entire Mordian army

:captainpop:

For the regular dudes you can get at LEAST $2 per soldier, maybe $2.50.

The heavy weapon teams could probably go for maybe $12.50-$15.

Special weapons and characters for about $10.

So add that all up cause it's a good amount of cash. I'm fighting the urge to give you an offer myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Sex Cannon posted:

what a rollercoaster

so NOVA was fun. Got to hang with a great selection of goons, went 6-1 (thought the 1 was real bad) and ended up with 3rd place out of the Humanity side of the Narrative. Got to take home a bunch of free stuff, and got to make a bunch of new friends. SRM and I are doing a Novacast 2017 this week to talk about it. Should be out on Friday.

Get those games in, fuckboiz. We need to purge the galaxy of anime.

It was cool meeting you and other goons- especially the drunk guy who still managed to play at 3x the speed of my sober brain!

I feel bad for only being around half the time, I had a few pressing issues at home coupled with the horrible idea to do night games (I somehow was expecting them to wrap up around midnight, not 3).

I guess next year I'll have to try for infamy again- during the doubles I killed 4 but just gave he points to my partner.

Nice showing though, I didn't see you much after the games would start but the two I went to I think I saw SRM about an hour after the start so I hope he didn't get turn-2-tabled...