Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I fixed that. The result ends up with the Frag just barely winning out on average against the various Bolt weapons against infantry targets. D6 shots is going to have much higher variance, however, and you're more likely to end up with fewer wounds than the average, but you're also more likely to exceed the higher bound of the average calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
To me, it looks like the bolt rifle beats frag grenades vs all T4 targets, as well as 4+ and better T3 targets.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

With my XXth, I spray with Tamiya Light Metallic Blue use a light purple wash to tone down the overall shine of the model, then a second strong wash in the shaded areas to really get them nice and matte. That gives me a nice canvas for my highlighting techniques. First, I apply a few thin coats of Tamiya Clear Green on the broadly lit areas to both get the nice teal color and bring some shine back to the metals. Then, I apply silver with a sponge. The silver doubles as both weathering and a final highlight since it catches the raised edges so well. They're basically the easiest marines I've ever painted.

Hopefully this helps somehow; looking at the sample model you posted, your order of operations looks like it's wayyy different than mine, so I'm not sure what elements of my recipe will translate. Maybe go by what DiHK said and focus on the washes and glazes, since you're starting from a much brighter base than I am. I would definitely try and get some purple in the lower areas of the model, even if your scheme is super lovely as-is.

Details-wise, I go by Apologist's maxim of avoiding metals next to metals. So, I go for tacticool black on the equipment and matte whites or yellows for extra things like tabards or squad markings.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I didn't actually have my Bolt Rifle post in front of me (and never did one for single model contribution).

Vs T4 and 3+ armor

Frag: 3.5 shots and 2.33 hits, 0.77 wounds, 0.25 unsaved wounds.
Krak: 0.67 hits, 0.44 wounds, 0.22 unsaved wounds.
Stalker: 0.67 hits, 0.33 wounds, 0.22 unsaved wounds.
Standard (Rapid Fire): 1.33 hits, 0.67 wounds, 0.33 unsaved wounds
Standard: 0.67 hits, 0.33 wounds, 0.17 unsaved wounds
Auto: 1.33 hits, 0.67 wounds, 0.22 unsaved wounds.

Vs T3 and 4+ armor

Frag: 3.5 shots and 2.33 hits, 1.17 wounds, 0.58 unsaved wounds.
Krak: 0.67 hits, 0.55 wounds, 0.37 unsaved wounds.
Stalker: 0.67 hits, 0.44 wounds, 0.37 unsaved wounds.
Standard (Rapid Fire): 1.33 hits, 0.88 wounds, 0.59 unsaved wounds.
Standard: 0.67 hits, 0.44 wound, 0.30 unsaved wounds.
Auto: 1.33 hits, 0.88 wounds, 0.44 unsaved wounds.

Vs T3 and 3+ armor (so.... Sisters, and nothing else?)

Frag: 3.5 shots and 2.33 hits, 1.17 wounds, 0.39 unsaved wounds.
Krak: 0.67 hits, 0.55 wounds, 0.28 unsaved wounds.
Stalker: 0.67 hits, 0.44 wounds, 0.30 unsaved wounds.
Standard (Rapid Fire): 1.33 hits, 0.88 wounds, 0.44 unsaved wounds.
Standard: 0.67 hits, 0.44 wounds, 0.22 unsaved wounds.
Auto: 1.33 hits, 0.88 wounds, 0.30 unsaved wounds.

Outside of Rapid Fire range you should always be using a grenade, is what I'm getting out of this, essentially.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Frag has to roll for random number of shots before rolling to hit too, I don't think either of you accounted for that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
We did. 3.5 is the average result on a d6.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Back from vacation and after spending half the weekend trying to find a good used car for a teenage daughter, I was finally able to finish the Rough Riders (Centigors)

Found out I was short a Sgt, so making another

Also made a vox caster for each squad- needed 5 more. Still need to do each special weapon for all 6.

Also, snagged a couple Leman Russes, one is built and ready for GS.

Finishing by NOVA is really going to come down to the wire, I'm not sure if I'll be done by Thursday or not. I know I will be there for Fri-Sun however.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So, what are peoples thoughts on pistols now that 8th ed is maturing?

I've found that for my characters, I'm usually fine just throwing a krak grenade and saving the points. Most sergeants are taking a combi weapon instead of a pistol, but pistols for my vanguard do seem like they could be interesting. Having a couple of guys in there with grav or plasma pistols could be nice. Grav pistols seem great for shooting at terminators and other T4 multiwound models without needing to keep a captain nearby for rerolls, so good for an independent unit like vanguard. Assault marines would benefit from them nicely if they could use them, but plasma pistols are pretty nice too. Gives them more options for hurting high toughness stuff, and ASM aren't too valuable so it's not the end of the world if one overheats.

How often are you finding it useful to shoot pistols into melee? I've found that dedicated melee squads are rarely still in combat when their next turn rolls around. Most of the time, if I'm shooting pistols into combat it's because a tac squad is being jammed by something like scarabs or gaunts where neither side is doing a lot of casualties to the other, but tac marines have decent enough melee against targets like that that I choose to keep them in and fire pistols rather than falling back.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 28, 2017

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

Back from vacation and after spending half the weekend trying to find a good used car for a teenage daughter, I was finally able to finish the Rough Riders (Centigors)

I like non-standard armies and yours is fun. Have you modelled nervous looking members of the administratum?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So far I've found very little use for pistols. All of my units that want to take one and also end up in close combat ever just take a second melee weapon (Vanguard Vets). Vanguard Vets are just laughably superior to Assault Marines this edition, and with the Vangaurd Detachment I can't think of a reason not to use the ones I have as counts-as, and then it's just more efficient to equip them with two Chainswords than it is Chainsword and Bolt Pistol.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Raphus C posted:

I like non-standard armies and yours is fun. Have you modelled nervous looking members of the administratum?

Not yet, I did consider it but only when I figured I'd be doing 50/50 human and beastman

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Vanguard are definitely way better than ASM, but I've had some fun putting some ASM in a razorback without jump packs, giving the sgt a power fist and meltabomb, and throwing them at whatever with maybe some plasma pistols. Assault marines still have a good psychological impact, and are 3 ppm cheaper than vanguard if they don't have jump packs so they do well when you put them in a transport.

I've been using a lot of double chainsword jump pack vanguard though, yeah.

ASM are good if you want to try for a brigade though. My brigade's FA slots are 1 ASM squad and 2 tarantulas.

Also, I often give my ASM two flamers which is a nice niche that vanguard can't fill.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 28, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What is the PPM of Intercessors in the SM dex?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
So a guy I've been playing with just won a painted warhound for $300 on ebay. He's planning to use it in a 2k game next week. WTF do I bring to kill it?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Two or three Necron Pylons

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Did a quick big boy test before starting to mass produce. Mad I'm having a such a tough time photographing this guy but I did a leadbelcher base with a vallejo silver zenithal type deal and a lighter coat of the teal glaze and it came out pretty good, though maybe a little too dark on the dark side.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

What is the PPM of Intercessors in the SM dex?

They should be 20ppm with the standard bolt rifle.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Booley posted:

So a guy I've been playing with just won a painted warhound for $300 on ebay. He's planning to use it in a 2k game next week. WTF do I bring to kill it?

Lots of units. It can only kill 2 units per turn (by shooting). Stay out of melee if you can and win on objectives.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Really, I think if you can knock the warhound down to 22 wounds you've neutered it. That takes away most of its speed, and plus drops it to BS 3+ which helps. At that point you can try to win on objective.

Since it's T9 and is going to be 4+ save regardless, lascannons are nice but even stuff like heavy bolters will be as effective as some of the heavier guns. A melta is wounding on a 5+ and gets a 4+ save against it, same as an assault cannon. So just light it up with whatever to drop 13 wounds off of it and take it to its second profile where it goes from 24 inch speed to 8 inch. I would probably save stuff like missile launchers and meltas for other units he has since they're much less effective against a T9 target.

Alternatively, if you've got any S10+ melee you can throw those at it. A single contemptor dreadnought (if it survives the overwatch) can potentially take it to its second profile by itself. Since it has no invuln save, it's super vulnerable to stuff like dreadnoughts hitting it in melee. Any kind of S10+ melee will be valuable to weaken it. Even regular boxnaughts, but they're less reliable since they hit on 3s and have no invuln save to tank overwatch with, not to mention being much slower than a contemptor. If it's carrying the flamer though that's not an option.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 28, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

S8/S9 is also a huge jump, but I would rather have two shots than one.

I rather have 2 shots always instead having to get into rapid fire range with the added ability to advance and shoot. Combine with the banner and overcharge shots on death.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

chutche2 posted:

Really, I think if you can knock the warhound down to 22 wounds you've neutered it.

Might want to double check the errata; a 22 wound Warhound is still moving 18" a turn and royally tearing things up. It's not till 9 wounds where it really gets slower and weaker than it was in 7th Ed.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads/40K_8th_ed_Update_Imperial_Armour_Index_Forces_of_the_Astra_Militarum_ver_1.0.pdf

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

That's a lovely marine.

Pendent posted:

They should be 20ppm with the standard bolt rifle.

Same as the index, cool. Thanks.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Broken Record Talk posted:

Might want to double check the errata; a 22 wound Warhound is still moving 18" a turn and royally tearing things up. It's not till 9 wounds where it really gets slower and weaker than it was in 7th Ed.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads/40K_8th_ed_Update_Imperial_Armour_Index_Forces_of_the_Astra_Militarum_ver_1.0.pdf

Looks like they also changed the threshold values. So if you get it down to 19 wounds it's moving 12 inches and has BS 4+ and WS 6+, that seems easier to deal with. 16 damage still means you're having to take a land raider sized hole out of it, but it's doable.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Really, I think if you can knock the warhound down to 22 wounds you've neutered it. That takes away most of its speed, and plus drops it to BS 3+ which helps. At that point you can try to win on objective.

Since it's T9 and is going to be 4+ save regardless, lascannons are nice but even stuff like heavy bolters will be as effective as some of the heavier guns. A melta is wounding on a 5+ and gets a 4+ save against it, same as an assault cannon. So just light it up with whatever to drop 13 wounds off of it and take it to its second profile where it goes from 24 inch speed to 8 inch. I would probably save stuff like missile launchers and meltas for other units he has since they're much less effective against a T9 target.

Alternatively, if you've got any S10+ melee you can throw those at it. A single contemptor dreadnought (if it survives the overwatch) can potentially take it to its second profile by itself. Since it has no invuln save, it's super vulnerable to stuff like dreadnoughts hitting it in melee. Any kind of S10+ melee will be valuable to weaken it. Even regular boxnaughts, but they're less reliable since they hit on 3s and have no invuln save to tank overwatch with, not to mention being much slower than a contemptor. If it's carrying the flamer though that's not an option.

I have a leviathan, so as long as I can get into melee it should be able to do some work. That seems like the best plan, just throw a lot of dreads at it. At 2k he'll only have 500 points of other units, which shouldn't be hard to deal with.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Booley posted:

I have a leviathan, so as long as I can get into melee it should be able to do some work. That seems like the best plan, just throw a lot of dreads at it. At 2k he'll only have 500 points of other units, which shouldn't be hard to deal with.

Yeah, the flamer is a problem though. The leviathan will probably survive the overwatch from that flamer, but it's still going to take 8-12 damage from it. A good hit from literally anything else and it's toast before it hits melee, and you'll probably be at WS 3+ or 4+ if you live through it. If he gives his warhound a flamer you're going to have to shoot it and try to avoid it. And the warhound can shoot and overwatch while in melee, and any dread weaker than a relic leviathan is going to die guaranteed. If he doesn't take that flamer, then massed dreads can definitely rock a warhound.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 28, 2017

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Cross post from the painting thread

R0ckfish posted:

I did a quickish test model for salamanders today

Primaris are nice to paint and I had fun messing with new stuff on it.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, the flamer is a problem though. The leviathan will probably survive the overwatch from that flamer, but it's still going to take 8-12 damage from it. A good hit from literally anything else and it's toast before it hits melee, and you'll probably be at WS 3+ or 4+ if you live through it. If he gives his warhound a flamer you're going to have to shoot it and try to avoid it. And the warhound can shoot and overwatch while in melee, and any dread weaker than a relic leviathan is going to die guaranteed. If he doesn't take that flamer, then massed dreads can definitely rock a warhound.

Assuming he runs it wysiwyg, turbo laser and Vulcan mega bolter. So as long as I can make it close, I should be OK. I'm blood angels, so librarian dread can throw a 4+ invuln on something. I'll just need to figure out what tax units to take to get some relic contemptors in.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah, with that it's basically gambling. Vulcan mega bolter overwatch won't do anything major to you, it's wounding you on 5s so even if he gets a few hits in it won't be the end of the world. But if any of those 2d3 turbo laser shots rolls a hit it will at the least cripple your dread if it fails invuln, and if it's a boxnaught it might kill it outright.

Of course, with 24 inch movement he could play conservative with it and just shoot you down with the turbo laser one dread at a time and not let you get to melee, while the mega bolter shreds whatever tries to get on objectives. Unless he rolls really badly for number of shots and you roll well on your invulns, your leviathan is dying turn 1 to the turbo laser. You'll probably have to try and trap him in a corner or something, and use your smoke launchers well to try and advance on him to get to melee. He can only kill one a turn, and if you're lucky smart use of smoke launchers on important targets can give you a crucial miss. Save all your CP to reroll invuln saves.

If he's using a giant FW warhound though, you could fight fire with fire. Put down a dozen twin lascannon tarantulas and see how a warhound deals with that. Or, convert a vindicator into a vindicator laser destroyer and pelt it with S10 6 damage shots.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 28, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Booley posted:

Assuming he runs it wysiwyg, turbo laser and Vulcan mega bolter. So as long as I can make it close, I should be OK. I'm blood angels, so librarian dread can throw a 4+ invuln on something. I'll just need to figure out what tax units to take to get some relic contemptors in.

Leviathans already have a 4++

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
X post from the 30k thread:

Lord Twisted posted:

Nice Glaive!

I, for one, met a Man From the Internet this week (JackMack) and played a game against him. 2k pts, Imperial Fists/Salamanders shattered legion vs a Cult Horde + Demons mashup (with some dreadnoughts to pad the points).

The game was Dominion. Highlights include a Keeper of Secrets managing to blow off its own head with a perils while in combat with a dreadnought, cult hordes dragging pyroclasts to their death in a mad frenzy, and Terminators beating up a man from a Metallica album. JackMacks dudes were eclectic and well painted, and it was a solid draw (as all best games are).

Some pictures:

(zombie missile loaders!)

(demon prince, got shot up turn one unfortunately)

Finally, a miniature accurately representing the soul of Goons

The Bloodthirster Brave Sir Robin (who ran away)

Some hot Ogryn-on-Marine action

The Man from the Metallica Album

Not enough flamers in the world to fight that many cultists...

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

koreban posted:

My friend uses it for his guard army. Generally he puts heavy weapon las teams, master of fleet, and/or a vindicare assassin up top. He puts a guard squad inside to run the guns and has valet parking for his artillery lambos behind it. From there he has huge LOS blocking terrain and murderous shooting for anything that tries to reach out to his murdertanks.

Depending on the mission and careful placement of objectives, he will either score on 2-3 objectives every round by default, or wind up with a brutal long range threat bubble while he runs his squads all over hells half acre trying to score VPs.

The only actual threat to his bastion backcourt came from Green tide orks just obliterating everything they got into close combat with. It cost the ork player 60+ boyz to get up the board, but once he did, the game was over in a turn and a half of close combat.

You can't put dudes on top of a fort.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone have, or know of a place to get, the support arm for Space Marine Lascannons? Specifically this piece? I have a few metal lascannons but I'm missing these. As a chaos player I could probably just greenstuff in a mutation, but I want to see if I can just get a few bits before I try doing that.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Some new Death Guard pics from the next WD.

Morty gets some alternate arms for a more action-y pose.

Close up shot of new Plague Marines, Terminators, Typhus and Plague Tank.

This is a bit weird, a set of 3 Plague Marines that are webstore only, come with a set of art cards and a background booklet. If they weren't £25 and had much more characterful sculpts I'd be onboard, but as it is it's just... underwhelming.

And in non Goon Marine news, Ad Mech looks to be a GK/CSM style small update, only new thing is a separate Cawl box.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

And in non Goon Marine news, Ad Mech looks to be a GK/CSM style small update, only new thing is a separate Cawl box.

Disappointing, but at least we'll have it in two weeks. Hopefully the Arcana Mechanicum is as awesome as it sounds and isn't just the same poo poo as it was in the last codex.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

New Helsreach is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0npZ9MszGE

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

40K Radio did an interview with the creator. It's a bit of a slog, as the hosts have zero chemistry, but it was interesting to hear how the guy who does the movies is relatively new to 40K in general, and has never played the game.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Disappointing, but at least we'll have it in two weeks. Hopefully the Arcana Mechanicum is as awesome as it sounds and isn't just the same poo poo as it was in the last codex.

Yeah it's a shame not adding more to what is already a very limited range. I was going to complain about buying the Triumvirate box just before Cawl was available separately, but lol £32.50. Barely a saving and the other toys in there are cool too.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone got a collectors edition codex yet? What exactly is the difference between the two? Just the full cover art and a black ribbon book mark?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SteelMentor posted:

This is a bit weird, a set of 3 Plague Marines that are webstore only, come with a set of art cards and a background booklet. If they weren't £25 and had much more characterful sculpts I'd be onboard, but as it is it's just... underwhelming.

I'm guessing they were going to be used in one of the starter sets and plans changed after the bulk of the work on them was done. If they're easy assembly I would take that as confirmation unless we start seeing more similar packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I may just pick them up for additional model variety. Not sure how often I'll be fielding meltaguns but that dude having spare barrels is a pretty nice touch.