Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Endman posted:

I had a good time painting this guy today:

Now I just need to wait for the wash on his base to dry and I can drybrush it and glue on some grass. :)

e: here's another angle:

'sup, Deathwatch bro?

This looks real nice. Love the job you've done with the armor highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DJ Dizzy posted:

30k supremacy. 7.5 uber alles.

Because what I really want is to have all my rules written by these guys and not just a subset

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

That cardboard box terrain is so silly.

Yeah but the mats are pretty cool

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I'm curious about the material/size of them, since the AoS starter ones are little.

unfortunately, they look like they're 2x2 and 2x4, respectively. But it gives me hope that they might release a 6x4' mat eventually with the Imperial City design on it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm going to call $90 USD. It's about the size of a Land Raider, with an added turret.

I'm going to say $75, same as a Land Raider and priced to move by GW's standards

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Blood of Kittens has results for one of the first 8th edition GP events:
http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2017/06/26/results-8th-edition-gt/

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Sex Cannon posted:

In the future, let me know when you're painting and I'll make sure to fit the podcast to your busy schedule! :v

DC HAM SLAM CHAT

Slamming hams is always better at home, and I'd be willing to travel North of Bodymore. If you wanted to host, I'd definitely bring beer and food as a tribute. I might also be able to secure a 3rd table for the use of such an event. You'd also get a totally rad shoutout on the 40k Badcast! I'm no murderer, and many goons can back me up on that, and I know several dudes from this thread in this area aren't murderers, either. Or at least, they didn't show me their corpse collections.

Huzzah's actually a good hour to hour and a quarter away from me, too, and it's just a suggestion as I've been there before and the people are nice, the space is clean, and there is food nearby. I've heard Games n Stuff is cool and I'd be willing to head up that way, too.

I've had about 5 people PM me with interest for this event, so it could definitely be a thing. If we could play at Anamal's place that'd be perfect, and if not, Huzzah or Games n Stuff are probably our best bets. It seems that people are free on the 15th, so I'm gonna lock that in as our Ham Slam date. LMK if you guys have any preference of venue, but if Anamal is amenable, then that's where my vote would go.

Hell, if it's at ANAmal's place, I'd make the trek down for that

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Never mind, no longer interested. :v:

Good news! I'm going to be at your house anyways

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

This is going to end with you hiding beer cans in my toilet tank again, isn't it.

I don't want to make promises or anything

but there's like a 105% chance that I'll draw penises on most of the things you own

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Those are rad as hell.

I've gotta do a Celestial Lion for my Deathwatch

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

Fair and balanced.

*sigh* it's dumb to just look at the winner and not the top 8 or so and it's disingenuous to look at that result in a vacuum. 2nd place was a Harlequin-heavy Ynnari force and third place was an Ultramarines army that ran Guilliman and had no flyers.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

SRM told me this

I think more or less GW hasn't really said how these guys are going to fit in exactly, I plan on just treating them as tactical, assault, and devs. One of the things that really threw me for a loop was the transfers have a "XIII" transfer, and there are only 10 squads in a company, maybe it was intended to be cut in half to make a "X" and "III" but its kind of confusing.

The new book basically has Primaris Ultramarines operating as an 11th company

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

What are the weapons on the Plague Marines in the Dark Imperium set, btw?

There's a plasma gun, some bolters, and a couple dudes with power fists.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Although is power fist / bolter a legal combo? The bullet point on their data sheet makes it sound like you'd have to replace both the bolter and bolt pistol in order to get a power fist and plasma gun.

the champion has a power fist and plague knife. Someone else has the plasma gun.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

TOXICRENE COMPLETE!

I got yer Howling Griffon right here :clint:

Rear shot

Close-up!

This looks amazing. I love how sharp and clean the colors are. It looks like a cartoon, and I mean that in the best way possible.

evilmiera posted:

So what is up and coming in 40K after release and the new starter pack? Any kind of timeline going on or particularly probable rumors?

There will be a Primaris codex that will include among other things, rules for a Primaris Librarian, a non-Gravis Captain, Reiver Scouts, the Repulsor Tank, and a flyer that's described in the new book as "like the Deathwatch Corvus Blackstar, only bigger." We'll also get a Death Guard codex that will have rules (and releases) for Mortarion, Death Guard terminators, and a new Nurgle beast that looks like a slug with lots of legs. After that, no one knows.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Does the new book have any more details? Like what color is associated with the 11th company or how the squads are organized?

Pretty lame for GW to give instructions on how to paint these dudes to be in 2nd company (its even on the banner of the ancient) if they already have plans to make them their own company, or maybe they are just planning on big sizing everything in a year and don't want to have to change their artwork?

It says they don't have company color markings when they arrive on scene. My guess is that they'll eventually get added into companies as marines die and get replaced (the book even has a primaris captain wonder what older marines think about their days being numbered, and wondering if they're bitter about it). I'm p much done with it, so if you want it, PM me your address and I can mail it to you. It's OK. Not amazing, but it's not bad and it has its moments. It's not overly heavy on battles--which I tend to not give a poo poo about in most of the books--but the ones it does have are just primaris dudes curbstomping everyone they come across (though I haven't read the last few chapters. I assume at least one of them will die on-page at some point).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

I feel like your post has, like, at least 5 parts I could quote while angrily waving around GW's "marines won't be replaced by Primaris" talk.

Yeah, maybe? I mean, they aren't replacing them in the sense that you can still use your old marines just fine, and they have several advantages over the less tactically flexible big guys (they make a comment about this in the book, where one of the primaris dudes wishes his squad had tactical squad weapon loadouts for more flexibility). I was also surprised to see them sow some initial seeds of discord between the groups, with both Primaris marines being upset about being assigned to second founding chapters instead of their original chapters (all of them were recruits from those chapters before Guilliman was killed, so they remember the original legions and their homeworlds and the customs of those planets and legions), and older marines like Calgar feeling put out by the way things have changed (though I doubt Calgar is gonna rebel or anything). Between that and Cawl making primaris marines out of chaos legion geneseed, there's lots of *potential* for both older marines to splinter off as their own force and primaris marines to defect.

Whether they do anything interesting what what they're building is anyone's guess, though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

This doesn't even make sense to me. Is the master of the chapter's armory standing in front of the door swatting any primaris marines that come near with a rolled up newspaper?

On the tabletop is one thing, but it's not like his suit is incapable of interfacing with a flamer. If some Guardman hillbilly can figure out how to work a melta so can they.

They don't get to pick the weapons they're armed with going in. They're issued weapons based on their role (e.g. intercessor, hellblaster, etc) and currently it doesn't look like their armaments get heavier than the new plasma rifles.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

So the armory quartermaster is sitting outside the door with his newspaper in hand, then.

Are you guys under the impression that in real militaries people get to choose what weapons they are assigned prior to going into a battle or something?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

gently caress, that's so cool

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JBP posted:

I remember when Ultramarines were cool as poo poo.

The only time Ultramarines were cool as poo poo was in Codex: Tyranids

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

idk, they were pretty cool when they dunked on your Black Legion last year

I'm pretty sure any garbage loyalist chapter could run quad mortars like an rear end in a top hat :colbert:

ps your grandma-faced primarch sucks

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

least he ain't dead

pffffft I've got 5 Chaos armies, and 3/5 of them have living primarchs

I got no shortage of giant miniature daddies

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Major Spag posted:

Tell me more about your daddy issues.

http://i.imgur.com/BwRyTrp.gifv

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Master Twig posted:

So, turns out Necron Gauss Pylons are ridiculous. T8, 30 wounds, 3+, 5++. 2+ BS. It's immobile, but can deep strike turn 1. Main gun has 120" range, is a macro weapon, d6 shots, S16, AP-4, 6+d3 damage. A secondary weapon that gets 2d6 strength 6, AP-2 shots, and a pistol weapon that gets 3d6 shots at strength 4, ap-1.

For 470 points.

Yeah my group's Necron player has already been twirling his mustache and nerd-cackling about using his because it's basically a bigass Titankilling gun (it can one-shot knights and most knight-sized Titanic vehicles because its primary gun has Macro and hits on a 2+). I suspect the way to deal with it is dropping a bunch of chainfist terminators on it.

470 points is a lot for something that can't move though, and is only kind of useful against non-vehicle/non-titan models. It's really good, but I don't think it's gonna break games, especially if you don't bring a juicy target for it to shoot.

e: Also the 2D6 gun isn't a secondary weapon, it's a secondary firing mode of the main gun. If this thing isn't shooting titans, it's got 18" range with the secondary mode and 3" with the pistol.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 29, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

As a Necron player, I can guarantee some motherfucker is making up for not having a decent superheavy for all of 7th edition.

Yeah it's real good at making your opponent regret bringing/just not bring a Titan

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I'm no fan of superheavies generally unless everyone agrees to Apoc-level silly poo poo. A friend quit her Orks after a 6th ed Apocalypse game of just the Transcendant C'tan murdered her two Stompas like it was nothing.

I'm OK with Knights and that class of "tiny superheavies" but I agree that anything bigger needs to be relegated to Apocalypse-style games or Escalation scenarios where it's either "a bunch of dudes trying to take down a superheavy" or "godzilla fights"

The Transcendant C'Tan was way better in 6th/Apocalypse than it was in 7th, when it suddenly got random powers

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Xae posted:

Lets say I'm thinking about making Bad Life Decisions and getting into 40k.

About how much would it cost, and how much time would it take, to buy and paint a small, 500 pt Ad Mech army?

Welcome to the asylum!

Getting started is pretty easy. The best way to do it is with the starter kit, seen here (you can get it cheaper elsewhere):
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Skitarii-Starter-Collection-ENG-2017

They look "sold out" right now (which makes no sense because both bundled products are in stock but w/e), but basically it's a Skitarii start collecting box ($85) + the Imperium 2 Index ($25). I don't know if that gets you to 500 points with the current rules, but I suspect you'll be close or a single squad away.

Assuming you buy the book and don't just pirate it, if you get these guys from places offering discounted rates, you can get in for less than $135 after you add on another squad to get to 500.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 30, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

I mean, with how useful large unit sizes are in this edition, I doubt this will be too much of a problem. It'll probably cost far more troop slots than it's worth, especially with tournaments being limited to 3 detachments. That said, it's clearly a case of the spirit of the rules and the letter clashing hard.

Maybe a quick patch is understrength units cannot fill up detachment slots until hitting MSU?

They just need to add a matched play rule prohibiting under-strength units.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
wait are you saying that's a bad thing

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I think eliminating the 6th/7th clusterfuck that was the old psychic rules was arguably the best change between them and 8th edition. It was a complete trainwreck.

Seriously. I'm sad about losing Traitor Legions rules, but I'd give them up for good if it meant never seeing those terrible psychic rules come back. A bad phase that a third of the game's armies have nothing to do in and a plethora of useless, random powers

Powers are good enough to use now, which is fine. It's not the ideal implementation in my opinion--that would tie the size of the effect to a psyker's mastery level--but at least it isn't randomly selecting powers with a 1/6 chance to get something game-breakingly good or a 4/6 chance to get something worthless

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren:BATTLE REPORT:siren:

I was visiting the in-laws over the weekend, so I took some time to run up to ANAmal.net's place and play a game of 40k against him and a mutual friend who's just getting into the game with Orks. We decided to do a Narrative mission, and went with Breakthrough, where the Attacker (me) has to head up the table longways and put units in the enemy deployment zones (they have two, one comprising the rear 18" of table, and a 'forward deployment zone' constituting the next 18"). I decided to bring my World Eaters with me, running a couple squads of Berserkers in Rhinos, a Chaos Lord on Juggernaut, a squad of bikes, a squad of Terminators in a Land Raider, a 2x CCW Dreadnought, and summoning reserves of bloodletters and flesh hounds (x2). Also, I brought Kharn, because I was almost done painting the newer model, so I figured hey why not?

The table, set up at ANAmal.net's place:

What went down
I killed ANAmal's Librarian warlord in the preliminary bombardment, then spent my first turn boosting forward, with the most notable outcome being that my Land Raider shot 11 wounds off the Ork Battlewagon in one volley of lascannon fire. They retaliated by mulching my dreadnought on their turn, and plowing into my tanks with a battlewagon and a bunch of orks.

A few turns of combat later, plus some summoning, and I was able to turn the tide in my favor. The Berserkers and Kharn piled out of the Rhino the Orks had assaulted, and punched the gently caress out of them. But not before the Orks managed to kill the Rhino, causing it to explode and killing a handful of berserkers and terminators in the process. The other Berserkers pulped ANAmal's bikes, while my bikes got stuck in against a bunch of Flash Gitz, who I definitely underestimated.

The final score was 9-6 when we called the game on turn 5. Some of the big scorers were the daemons, who got dropped in deep behind enemy lines for easy points.

Highlights and Notes

- It's really hard to keep Kharn far enough away from your dudes to stop him from mulching a few of them. He took out a Battlewagon on his own and a bunch of Orks, but also like 4 berserkers. He hits like a loving freight train when he's in combat, though.

- Berserkers are really, really strong. Especially now that they fight twice immediately when they charge. I like those fellas quite a bit. Anything else and I've have been more worried about the Ork Boyz.

- Meat Grinder rules were in effect, and I ended up using a few CP to get a unit back into a transport to move up the battlefield quick. This was an interesting addition to the game.

- I'm also glad they clarified the Battlewagon rule on moving and shooting heavy weapons, because that was brutal when Flash Gitz were shooting out of it on T1.

The Bee posted:

If that's the case, you'd have to make sure literally every ability scaled up well. I could see it being pretty tricky to balance.

That said, as is Magnus just hogs up the entirety of the Thousand Sons psyker phase.

Yeah but it's not like the bar was set very high to begin with. Mastery Levels only went to 5 anyways and most things top out at 1-2.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 5, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

panascope posted:

Am I the only one that has this thing? The Particle Beamer option now is completely pointless.

The beamer is 3 points cheaper than the Tesla cannons. Not worth it, but if you needed to desperately save 6 points in your army, there you go

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Been painting a lot of Shadow War terrain over the last couple weeks (photos to come), but in the meantime, I managed to finish my new Kharn:

Old Kharn for comparison. If you want this model, PM me. You can have him for the cost of shipping if you live in the US.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ElNarez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/your-codex-is-coming-july-5gw-homepage-post-1/

Ten codices by year's end, starting with Space Marines, followed by Grey Knights, Chaos Space Marines and Death Guard

gently caress yeah. Here's hoping we get Legion rules again this year.
e: gently caress yeah, they're specifically mentioned as being in the new codex on the preview image. Get HYPE

berzerkmonkey posted:

I love that OG Kharn is such a good model that about all the sculptor could really do was to make the new one more dynamic.

Yeah I love the old model, but he's too small and his proportions are doofy as hell.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 5, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Soggy Chips posted:

Going to say it's implied there is no separate Primaris Codex, so all the new models and rules for the new characters/transport will be out soon.
Need more toys for my bigmars

It's not just implied--the Primaris Librarian rules sheet leaked and it mentions that you should reference Codex: Space Marines for the full rules.

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's literally the exact same thing it was before. :psyduck:

They never said Codexes wouldn't come back, and in fact were very clear that they would.

Not so sure about this "Death Guard separate codex" deal though--seems like it's going to force you to own two books

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't think the issue is having to buy a codex, it's that there are obviously going to be so many of them to keep track of again. And it's a double kick in the nuts that their other game freely gives away the unit rules.

I don't think it's any more difficult to keep track of books than it is chapters in the Indices. We were always going to get more actual faction rules than we got and I'll gladly take new codexes if they're laid out better than the seemingly random spread the indexes use

Soggy Chips posted:

Oh sweet. Leaks aren't :filez: right? If you've got it handy...
Not that I'm in a huge rush to spend 22 pounds on a single monopose mini. Interested to see the conversions people make

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2211

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I doubt it. Look at the Chaos Index book, it'll be a fleshed out Death Guard section that is in it's own book. I mean, yeah if you want to use both armies then you'll need two books. But if you're going for Chaos with Plague Marines you should still be fine with the default book.

I meant more that if you're playing Death Guard, you'd need both books.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Soulfucker posted:

the real crime is releasing nothing but marine factions

would agree accept Chaos is getting two releases so I'm defaulting to FYGM mode

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Been working on some Shadow War terrain recently. There's a ton of detail on these, so I'm trying to put a bit more effort into them than I usually do. I'm still trying to keep the palettes relatively muted so the models pop in photos/on a quick table scan. So far, this is been fun enough that I may revisit my older, less-detailed terrain and pick out some more details on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Very cool, have been considering buying some of this and you are making it more tempting.

It's pricey, but so worth it. It's such well-designed terrain and is ridiculously modular--the catwalk sidings basically clip on if you don't care about the paintjob, and it comes with a ton of underside clips to hold terrain together in a bunch of configurations. I could play around with SW:A terrain forever.

This looks great!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Finished assembling my Ogryns and Bone 'ead, added to the paint queue behind the Scions.

The Bone 'ead shield was a blast to make:

Man I really love the conversions in your beastmen LatD army