Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Excellent OP, SRM.

I'd offer Doc's Game Store as a trusted retailer - they do the 15% off that everyone else does, as well as offering free shipping within the US. http://www.vendio.com/stores/Docs_Games_Store/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ghazk posted:

Alpha Legion bringing the high-tech guns.

Holy cow, those are nice.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Because you're on SomethingWarhammer.com. Why do you think?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

Kreig steeds have claws?

I think they're more like pointed hooves.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Anyone in the US looking for just the rulebook? I'll have an extra one shortly for $40 shipped via media mail - PM me. I'll include the rules insert as well, just out of completeness.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

I get it. I've only been following the 40k threads for a month or 2 and at first I wondered why everyone gave you a harder time than the normal goony levels of ridicule.

You're a munchkin. You're not a bad munchkin but it's definitely your nature. Storm Raven vs Land Raider is an excellent discussion, but you've framed it entirely in terms of table advantage. I have a Storm Raven and will get a crusader at some point, but for me they serve 2 distinct purposes and the only reason it's an either-or situation is because of cost.

There's nothing wrong with being a munchkin, but it's the antithesis of the reasons I game. And since I'm a goon I had to call you out.
They're giving him poo poo because he responded to prodding. They continue to do it in order to get that response again.

However, because of your final sentence, you've admitted you're being a jerk just to be a jerk. Don't be a jerk because someone plays differently from you.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JBP posted:

I would be surprised if bigly tanks were to wholesale replace the main line SM ones but who knows at this point. I guess if you have the money and like the model buy it. A bigger version of it or whatever isn't going to dampen your enjoyment of the current model. Hell I bought one of the last Thunderhawks to roll off the line and was like poo poo, but I like it better than the new version.

I agree with you - I think any new Primaris tanks will be new designs, like the grav tank that's coming up. It would be silly of GW to have two versions of a Landraider, a Rhino, and a Predator on the shelves, let alone store owners wanting that much space taken up by a slightly larger version of the same model. I could see variations of existing tanks, but not wholesale upscaling.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mukip posted:

I'm putting together an Eldar army for 8th and I'm wondering, does anybody what would be the effect of GW's spray varnish on the transparant plastic windows used for Eldar vehicles? Is their spray varnish any good?
If nothing else, it will dull the transparency. Tape it off or glue it on later. IMO, you're better off getting Testor's Dullcote - it will be cheaper than the GW stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

You need to use them exactly as it instructs you to on the can, and only in decent weather conditions. It sucks but their colors are great. You need to prime them beforehand though; their paints chip like crazy if you don't, even with varnish.
Yeah, but at that point, you're better off buying a cheap airbrush setup and a couple of bottles of the color you want, rather than spending $15+ per can.

In my experience, their sprays chip like crazy (and just plain rub off while holding the model,) go on too thick (Wolf Grey,) are too smooth to allow you to paint over them (Desert Yellow,) and I had a can spontaneously explode for no discernible reason (Desert Yellow.) Thank God it was in a box with my other AP sprays, or it could have been tragic in a number of ways.

I spent a lot of money on those sprays (and more that I just didn't bother using) and won't be doing so again, no matter how convenient it's supposed to be. After stripping 100+ Steel Legion, I sprayed them with AP just to find out that my subsequent paint layers wouldn't adhere to the base layer - I had to strip them all again. :mad:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 22, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man don't blame this on rush; even books they take years to release have garbage editing

I have a feeling that the FW books weren't included on the 8th playtesting track. FW was likely left to pull rules out of their collective rear end.

spacegoat posted:

Sssh! Do you want Carl? This is how you get Carls.
God forbid someone who enjoys their hobby speaks up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Soulfucker posted:

Are there any rules for the old Kroot FW units in the index? Asking for a friend.

No. Only current models (meaning, only Tau battlesuits, for the most part.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Except the ones they forgot :)

Well, yeah. The best part will be the people who go to the Mega Dread page and see this image:

Oops.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Could I get the rules for the wraithseer?

Can we do that? Wouldn't it be :filez:?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 23, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I am so torn with the new dread. If it had come out with no precedent, I think I would really like it. On the other hand, it's got a bit of a mecha aesthetic that I don't think fits in with the Imperium. I like my boxy boys. :(

I'm sure I'll get at least one though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It kind of feels too Ed-209 for me.

Yeah, there is a photo floating around that is taken from a lower angle and it is very ED-209.

EDIT:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I think it might be the perspective (Im gonna have to wait till I see one in person) but the Primaris dread feels a little too Warmachine proportions for me - huge arms and upper body, tiny legs.

Um, have you never seen the old model?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I was talking to the guy who runs the local store about how people are reacting to 8th. He said that it's (obviously) been well received. He mentioned that on the night of the release, he decided to stay open late to get some early sales - they did $5000 in an hour. In the 24 hours of the release day, the store did $20,000 in business on 40K alone. They sold out almost the entire allotment of boxed sets, Indexes, and extras. Business slows down in the summer months, so he said this is really going to help out over the lean months.

As an aside, the 8th release has pretty much stalled AoS in the store (not that there were a lot of players, but there were a few.) One of the organizers of the local AoS community is an old 40K player and is trying to avoid 40K due to the fact that he knows he'll wind up dropping AoS as soon as he reads the rules. He's trying to start a community, and realized this was a really bad time to do that...

Also, Flames of War and Warmachine/Hordes are dead to the point where he's only doing special orders and clearing out existing stock. This has nothing to do with 8th, but I thought it was interesting.

SRM posted:

That cardboard box terrain is so silly.

I don't know. I kind of like the Cargo Container idea. At least it's supposed to be a boxy aesthetic. Plus, it fits into the "Christmas morning" idea where you can play a game right out of the box.

Clawtopsy posted:

I like the new skullface biglys, they will look sick in Crimson Fist colours.
I'm torn on these guys. "Terror troops" seems to go against the whole "defenders of humanity" thing Space Marines are supposed to be all about. They're kind of Night Lord-y and don't really look like the "good" guys.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I was reading the rulebook last night, and noticed something that I haven't seen anyone post yet:
Pg 113, showing the "Many faces of the Aeldari"

The legend entry for this is "REDACTED" but am I wrong in thinking it looks like a space rat (though it's a Slaanesh symbol)? I'm probably just reading too much into it, since I can't think of a link between Eldar and space Skaven...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 26, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Looks more like a beastman or Keeper of Secrets to me.

You're probably right, as there appears to be a bovine quality to it. Plus, it makes more sense than trying to tie rats to the Eldar.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm thinking the same thing. Which i'll be cool with, so long as the actual dollar cost of it is around a razorback. i'd probably need 3 or 4 and don't want them to be $70 a piece.

I'm going to call $90 USD. It's about the size of a Land Raider, with an added turret.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

Just saw this new BA chaplin, the skull game is weak. 1/10.

Here's the question: is he a Primaris or a tinybro?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Kind of odd question, I hope this is the right place:

In my city, there are a lot of Warhammer 40K symbols painted on things. Some of them I know are, while others I think are. I remember being curious about this symbol, and then finding out it was a Warhammer symbol, I seem to remember it being for related to the Necrons, but I looked up the Necron glyph again, and it is different:

So is this Warhammer, or is this Mapuche? This is a common question for me!

Gonna go out on a limb and say it's either a tag or gang symbol.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Isn't it saying their true name? That's why GKs have the Big Book Of Daemon Names.

True names just give you power over the daemon.

JBP posted:

I believe the biglys are the future.
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the bigly's laughter remind us how we used to be

It's all applicable. :allears:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I find it very hard to believe that Space Marines wouldn't have a codex release right off the bat.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The quote for Know No Fear is "nearly half the price of Dark Imperium," ($160) which I'm taking to mean $85-$90. I would wager First Strike is around $55-$60.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JesusIsTehCool posted:

$80 and $40 from the glance I got at the order form. Also there will be a $15 Reaver and Intercessor kit, not how many come in it, I expect 3 like the old small snap fit boxes. There will also be a $8 getting started kit which will be like the AOS one.

I'm kind of surprised at the $40 - that's pretty cheap on the GW scale. Then again, it looks like it's only 6 Primaris models, 3 DG, and 6 Plague Zombies.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Maybe that is the price the store is buying them at? I know there is less of a mark up on those kinds of box sets. Only got a glance at it and didn't ask any questions.

Edit: actually pretty sure those were retail prices as I am confident the get started thing is retail $8 as are the $15 small squads.

Yeah, they have to be retail - they're supposed to be cheaper than the Dark Imperium box, so $40 and $80 would make sense.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geoff Zahn posted:

Started assembling my Dark Imperium guys. Can't get over how high quality they are. Really appreciating that the Death Guard are properly thicc in their armor - I always thought the old models looked like they skipped leg day for the past 10,000 years.

Is there a recommended method for removing the mold lines from segmented tentacles on the poxwalkers, or is it just one of those 'be real careful' kind of things? Been using the back of my knife but sometimes I end up slicing off a big of the detail.

Why, the $17.50 Citadel Mouldline Remover, of course!

Joking aside, this might actually be a reasonable tool from them. Review from a guy on Dakka:

quote:

Yes, a No 11 blade, sand paper, emery board, sanding stick, standing block, file, or whatever tool will work. No, it will not be as clean or as easy in many cases.

The GW mould line remover tool is much, much stiffer than a No 11 blade (it won't bend at all), and the end close to the handle is gently curved. This gives you two immediate, practical benefits:

1. The mould line remover will almost never damage the model, especially soft miniatures such as plastic or resin. Because a knife is flexible, if you don't get the angle right, it can drag or bend, and you might nick your miniature.

2. Against a flat surface, the flat part of the remover tool will give you an absolutely perfect removal in a single swipe. But guess what? it will do the same on a smooth curved surface too. There are a zillion GW models that have smooth curved surfaces, like the legs and shoulders on space marines.

The tool also lasts forever. It doesn't dull, dent, or wear in any way. The new GW tool and old one are pretty similar, but the new one is about the same price, and is weighted better (the old one comes with a cleanup brush that's nothing special).

The mould line remover tool isn't "necessary", but in many instances, it is just a better tool and gives a cleaner removal in less time. It's also only something like $15 -- which is the lower bound of one premium model. Think diamond files, knife blades (other than No 11), a pin vise, or sanding block. You don't need any of them, but in certain situations, they just make your life a lot easier.

If you have a friend who owns one, try it. I can't imagine not having it in my cleanup kit, now.

It's the only tool from GW that I have considered buying.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

People on Facebook are real upset that they're basically Night Lords. I think they look cool as hell and sound rad. To me, it just reads like Guilliman isn't loving around and wants to regain what was lost, and isn't afraid to use whatever means necessary to get it.
Which will hopefully start down the road to other chapters questioning his means and maybe causing some internal strife and/or Gulliman, at some point, questioning his own actions.

Terror troops are definitely out of line with most of the previous Imperium-based 40K fluff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DiHK posted:

Where's my buddy dreadnought movie?

"I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS poo poo, YET I CONTINUE TO SERVE, AT THE BEHEST OF THE EMPEROR!"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah there's definitely other things. But the "use gloves" worries me a bit. I'd rather just use simple green and leave it in the dunk tank for a few days.
Super Clean is a degreaser. You wear gloves or else it will pull the oils form your skin. Other than that, it's far superior to Simple Green and will strip drat near everything with no ill effects.

Don't pass it up because you're worried about wearing gloves.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Been painting a lot of Shadow War terrain over the last couple weeks (photos to come), but in the meantime, I managed to finish my new Kharn:

I love that OG Kharn is such a good model that about all the sculptor could really do was to make the new one more dynamic.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ElNarez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/your-codex-is-coming-july-5gw-homepage-post-1/

Ten codices by year's end, starting with Space Marines, followed by Grey Knights, Chaos Space Marines and Death Guard

"Hey - remember the $25 you just dropped for that Index?"

I'm disappointed by this - I was hoping not to devolve back into the 100 Codex problem 40K had in 7th. At least AoS provides the Warscrolls online for free, so you can keep up with other armies. 40K continues to make this process a complete pain in the rear end.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LordAba posted:

Yeah, but the warscrolls don't have points in them so they are basically useless IIRC.

Not at all - the in-book Warscrolls don't have any points on them either, nor do the faction books have any points values. The General's Handbook is $25 and contains all the points for all the armies, so with a few printed PDFs and the book, you can play points as normal. The only two reasons to buy a faction book are for special formations and fluff. In addition, the Warscrolls have all the unit info on them, so saying they're useless is like saying the 40K Datasheet is useless.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't think the issue is having to buy a codex, it's that there are obviously going to be so many of them to keep track of again. And it's a double kick in the nuts that their other game freely gives away the unit rules.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

Would you prefer armies waiting 5 years+ to get updated? People have been complaining for decades that the codex cycle was glacial. I don't want to see the million sub-faction things from 6th/7th again, but getting the main books out in a timely fashion is a positive imo.

This has nothing to do with what I said. It has to do with 1) potentially having to carry multiple army books for a single army; and 2) serious players having to purchase multiple books to understand their opponent armies, instead of having a single Eldar or Chaos book.

Now, this can be somewhat mitigated by the codexes staying "current" forever and being updated by a yearly "Chapter Approved" or whatever they are going to call it.

chutche2 posted:

They only mention hardcover codexes,
This also sucks. Hardcovers are the worst.

Unrelated, Regicide is $.99 in the Play Store - I don't know if this is a limited time price. It's a fun little "Battlechess" type game where Orks and Marines blow each other up.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 5, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Regimental Standard still hitting it out of the park https://regimental-standard.com/2017/07/05/enriching-activities-for-idle-hands/

Hydra Dominatus

I saw that too - got a good laugh. Though I have to say, I assumed that none of the words would be in the puzzle (in an effort to keep the troops busy, of course.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

HardCoil posted:

I finally got around to playing a test game yesterday, and the game ground to a screeching halt immediately. How the hell does larger cover pieces work? The rulebook talks about being "on" or "within" cover pieces, but what about something like a house?

I understand barricades:

Green is in cover from red and get a +1 to their save - fine.

But a house or other large object, taller than any of the models?

As we read the rulebook, that huge thing is basically ignored. If it had been a statue of the exact same dimensions though, everybody within 3" would gain cover for some weird reason.

Is this really correct? We gave a +1 save to the green guys in the image.

My old grog brain has a really hard time with this level of abstraction. You could make up even more insane examples, with two units on each side of huge buildings with a small alley allowing one of the red guys to see one of the green guys.

Also, how do you count rapid fire range? Is it the same as shooting, as in - if one guy is with in half range of one guy from the target unit, everybody gets to rapid fire?

:corsair:
The Core Rules clearly state that if you cannot draw a direct LOS to the model, you can't shoot at it. If that building blocks LOS, the models can't be shot at. If it is a Ruin, then you get the benefit of cover.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

chutche2 posted:

4.3 is for wound allocation, not for attacking.

3.2:
In order to target an enemy unit,
a model from that unit must be within
the Range of the weapon being used (as
listed on its profile) and be visible to the
shooting model.

Yep, this is it. The term "LOS" isn't specifically used (I was paraphrasing because I didn't have the rulebook handy) but "and be visible to the shooting model" is pretty much self-explanatory.

EDIT: I didn't catch that he was referring to a cover save. My fault.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Son of a bitch. I was just wondering the other day how he did those spearmen in his AoS army.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's dumb. Magnus' good side got ripped out and put in another dude? That's super super super loving dumb. gently caress.
That's the one part you don't like about the science and magic created super wizard man who becomes a giant one-eyed daemon who mopes around while his "sons" are turned into dust robots?

It's amusing how people can cherrypick things they think are "unrealistic" or "silly" in a fantasy story.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes??

Its a huge tonal shift.

Does this mean the other demon primarchs had their good selves splintered and implanted into some other marine too? Or is Magnus special? Can we stick his good part back into him and make him whole again? Its just goofy as hell.

Grey Knights chapter master fuses with Magnus and they form GoMagnus!

Warp Magic has rules. Tearing people's emotions out of their souls and planting that in somebody else was never an established 40k thing, and its super wishywashy.

The whole point was that Tzeentch tricked him into an impossible scenario where he choose chaos. The idea that people are pure evil or pure good is just silly; its better that he was a tragic figure who went to the dark side even though he wasn't fully evil and still isn't.

Oh, okay cool thanks buddy.

E: I collect and paint space barbies but I don't care about the lore like this nerd does!

I enjoy the fluff, but don't have an aneurysm when something dumb pops up.