Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

my kinda ape posted:

EXCEPT the base price of the magaera is 440 and the styrix is 340?????? Who loving wrote this poo poo???

Doesn't the Magaera regenerate wounds or maybe include its unique weapon in the base cost? That seems like a particularly egregious oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

The power level is higher on the magaera too so it's not like someone fat fingered a single digit.

Huh. Yeah that's hopefully going to get clarified, especially since the "does not include wargear" means you're paying an extra 100 points for the exact same hull.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The bigs look kind of amazing with chapter-specific heads. I was going to make mine Lamenters, but then I saw them with DA hoods...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Time to remount them on Cold Ones...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Am I correctly reading that dreadnaughts have lost multimeltas?

And about how much conversion does it take before something is obviously a venerable dread?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok cool. I'll fancy this up to the max!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

It can mean breaking and fleeing, blipping out of existence, phasing out, succumbing to additional wounds, being eaten by your comrades, etc.

I seriously prefer this method of resolving morale. It abstracts an individual's momentary lack of discipline or hesitation that gets them cut down, which is much more plausible than the entire unit fleeing as a group.

It's that scene where the guy takes off his helmet to look at the dent just before getting shot a second time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Huh, this renegade list is pretty disappointing.

It's design also absolutely clashes with a lot of things that 8th edition got right. There's needless LOLrandom charts, and Uncertain Worth requires multiple term book keeping. I haven't done the comparison to Guard, but I'll take your word for it that they're a worse deal.

I guess on a 3 you just get really good mutants?

The compacts seem almost interesting, but not enough to make up the difference. I imagine people will just run cults as spiky guard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Why? They are going to release kits of them soon and then you are stuck with a bunch of monoposes.

The monoposes convert nicely, and once the kits are released the starter halves are likely going to spike in eBay cost. (Their perceived value will be compared to the individual kits instead of 1/3rd of a starter box.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Soggy Chips posted:

Whilst nerds would have moaned, saying it would have been worse than AoS is daft. Bretts got killed off in a paragraph and they literally "it was all a dream" to the whole setting

You could fit the number of active 8e Brett players inside the miniatures cases of Marines players and still have room for like three other WHFB armies' supporters.

It would have been a nerd outrage like we've never seen before. You don't obsolete the most popular faction of your most popular game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

JBP posted:

Hams are back in style baybeeeee!

Ham is back on the menu, boys.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel like I saw an exception in the Librarian entry that prohibits them from taking Black Templars as their <CHAPTER>. But I don't have my book with me at the moment to confirm.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did they just forget to include the points costs for the Black Sword and the Sword Brother in a Crusade Squad? It seems like Black Templars points got rolled into basic Marines halfway and then they quit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Special Characters typically have the wargear included, and Sergeant level upgrades are almost always free, aside from Space Wolf Terminator Wolf Guard.

Thanks, I completely missed the "(Including Wargear)" over the special characters listing. That seems like a distinction that should have been stressed.

I'm starting to put stock in the :tinfoil: theory that points are deliberately hard to use because the Big Power Level lobby is in it with the Reptilians.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel like it'll normalize more if your field three Russes with battlecannons.

I hope.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Celestial Lions have a cool African savannah kind of vibe that never goes explicitly "Space African" stereotypes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's a pretty good write up of the Celestial Lions here. The African pastiches come in the form of the communal traditions, oral history, naming conventions, and getting screwed over by Europe The Inquisition.

There are no power-spears or superstitious native stereotypes (that I've found, anyway), which is pretty goddamn refreshing in wargaming.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok cool! I haven't read that one yet, but now I'm going to have to. My friend just painted a bunch of bigs up up as Lions, and the default Sigmarine gold and blue looks crazy good on marines.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Not the best photos, but these are the Celestial Lions my friend Lexx painted up for the LGS! The star chart on the flag was a nice touch.

(Retributor gold is apparently a dream to work with.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

chutche2 posted:

Space marines are supposed to be tactical experts and should be bringing the equipment they need. They should have an idea of what they're going to be facing.

Eeeehhhh for the first twenty or so years of fluff they were slavish adherents to doctrine, except for the ones who were slavish adherents to tradition.

"Coloring in the lines" seems to be a good way to define Primaris and distinguish them from the more flexible regular marines. Also it's kinda awesome that their hands are too big for most wargear.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

I really love the Regimental Standard. Its one of the better little things they have been doing lately.

I'd absolutely love to see Cubical 7 do a Paranoia-esque RPG set in the Regimental Standard version of the Guard.

Which isn't really that far from The Laundry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dudes look Baaler.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Templars "no psykers" rule appears on page 10, which is certainly some weird organisation.

I actually picked up a second set of Primaris to bolster the Black Templars I started about fifteen years ago. Really pumped to finally get some of this stuff on the table, even though it feels like that was a lifetime ago.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Agentdark posted:

Anyone got a good source for making Inquisitorial Acolytes? Like is there a good kit somewhere that could be used. I want to make a small force of acolytes with power maces and pistols.

Combining Skitarri Vanguard helmets with a box of Empire state troops would look pretty rad. I think a guy did that for a steampunk-themed guard, but it would probably work better for acolytes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The static pose marines in the DI box generally have two head position variants. It's a little thing, but it really stretches out the repeatability of the sculpt.

Especially if you're mixing in chapter specific heads or bare ones.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I believe you meant https://youtu.be/QL19beIJSE0

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That marine looks crazy good. The only thing I'd add is that you could blend the highlights by either:

A) mixing the base and highlight colors together and painting it over the "shore" where the colors meet, or
B) mixing the base color with a mate medium and using it to wash the edges of your highlight.

It's a totally optional step and he looks great without any additional work, but something to consider if you're looking for a way to push yourself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cawl and Bobby G introducing 40 shades of grey into the Black and White of imperium morality is probably the best thing that could have happened to the lore.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I used the chapter generator from a million pages ago to get the Emerald Wizards, which was the least likely Wizard of Oz reference.

But they'd make rad Thousand Sons successors.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ayn Marx posted:

Grav chutes confirmed?

I'm sorry, did you say "plastic flayed ones?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there significance to who gets thorn vines painted onto Biel-Tan units and vehicles?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Awesome, thank you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

4chan's Angry Marines are so loving stupid.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Niche protection isn't a bad thing, my first impression is that it's kind of cool to see them forcing tough choices in their super protagonist faction.

Quick question, what do the old DE Mandrake figures best count as in the new list? Wytches or Blood Brides maybe? Bondage Goth Harlequins?

moths fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 30, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Corrode posted:

... Mandrakes?

I mean the old 3e ones with pistols and eyes. I guess you could use them as Mandrakes, but they've gone through some pretty radical changes since their debut.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

C-C-CROSS POST! I'm loving BT neophytes having Bretonnian heads, it totally changes the profile into feudal space-knights.

OATH COMPLETE!

bumblebigs

castillian

neophytes

Claiming Time to Shine for the lenses on the scout pistol sights, those came out much better than I thought they would.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pierzak posted:

The shoulderpad color scheme looks Nazi as gently caress, especially with black armor, is it intentional?

It's the official assault scheme which I didn't really catch until after... But the sergeant is a black guy, which hopefully stops them from telegraphing that I want to engage in clean wehrmacht fantasies or discuss the "good stuff Hitler did."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fluff-wise is there any reason Sisters of Silence and Black Templars would not be BFFs? Seems like they'd be good allies on both the table and lore.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

Huh. Warhammer 40,000 over on facebook just posted this teaser video, which shows this image fading in then out.

That's for sure Mortarion, right?

Someone on FB suggested Steel Legion, which I'm inclined to believe. The skull looks gas mask-y, the industrial feel of the tease, and Armageddon Steel Legion was the only faction in SWA that isn't yet out in plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pendent posted:

What I would *really* like to see are plastic Valhallans though. That could be an incredible looking army.

If you don't mind third party, I'd love to see what Cadian arms look like on Warlord's winter Soviets...