Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Fruit Chewy posted:

My 1080ti apparently does around $10/day on nicehash with a super modest OC. I

What is Nicehash picking for you mostly? I am trying to figure out why my 1080ti is only doing about $8 a day right now, it seems to only want to pick Lbry and Lyra2REv2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Updated to a fork of Nicehash that someone built to support EWBF for Equihash which is getting $9.80/day right now. Apparently the classic miner isn't being updated as much with 2.0 being worked on. Mine was literally never picking anything but Lbry and Lyra2REv2.

https://github.com/DillonN/NiceHashMiner/releases/tag/1.7.5.17

Once EVGA finishes my step up I can start my second card going, $20/day would be awesome.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 21, 2017

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

How do you guys plan on reporting this income for taxes? Capital gains? Sole proprietor small business?

At current numbers I am looking at ~400-600 a month, enough I can just keep part as Bitcoin/Ethereum, and cash out the rest as Amazon giftcards via Gyft or buying stuff on Newegg. No reason to get taxes involved at this level of income, especially not with Bitcoin.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

And based on what people are saying about "trying a new version of Nicehash with better optimizations" I might have misunderstood how NiceHash works (although it still strikes me as a quasi-shady program overall).

Just to clear it up, it's not actually Nicehash that is more optimized in that version, it just added support for a couple different miners that Nicehash has not added to their release yet. It's still downloading arbitrary code to run on your machine, just adds some new faster arbitrary code!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

is there anything that uses seti or folding stuff as the algorithm for mining? it seems stupid to be wasting energy on pointless hashes when you can at least get SOMETHING tangible from it

Foldcoin and Curecoin are two I know of.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://www.nicehash.com/?p=faq#faqs5

Or just check the settings, there's an option in there.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Otakufag posted:

Apparently people using the modified nicehash at github are getting ip banned because of a typo mistake that makes servers think users are bots when benchmarking.

Yea, from reading through Reddit he changed the default address when benchmarking from Nicehash's to his own so people who did their benchmarks before putting in their own btc address were sometimes getting temp-banned. He's already fixed it, but anyone that filled in their own address before doing anything wouldn't be affected.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://new.nicehash.com/help/when-and-how-do-you-get-paid

When and how do you get paid?

Sellers earn bitcoins for every valid share by PPS (Pay Per Share) system.

Payments schedule for sellers:

Once per day for NiceHash wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.001 BTC.
Once per day for external wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.1 BTC.
Once per week for external wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.01 BTC.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Your video card barely does any work for standard web browsing, watching videos, etc, and just short of zero while idle. Mining uses 100% of the cards power. It's going to add 150-250w of load compared to non-gaming tasks.

How much power the rest of your computer is using will vary on processor, fans, hdds, etc, but that number will not change a significant amount while mining.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you running AC? Because inflate your power bill by 50% immediately if you are FYI. Power draw on the card is not going to be what is pulled at the plug. You have other components that need to be powered so you likely have another 20-40W for an idle CPU, memory, and motherboard. Then another 10-20% overhead from losses in the power supply.

Where as for me, the 500w of my two cards is heat that I don't have to produce from the main heater in my house, saving me money!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

The difficulty is increasing at a much faster rate than the value of a coin

Yea, not only is difficulty rising, but in the last few days ETH has dropped in value a significant amount and BTC has gone down ~15% also.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Rofl, even at $500 a card there's no way those are worth almost $10,000 for the shelf.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

craig588 posted:

Down 500 dollars overnight.

The worst thing about bitcoins is making me click my 1080 profitability bookmark and check every day to see if it'll ever be back to 10 dollar a day levels. Even when it was 4,500 dollars people weren't paying anything for mining, only like 2 something.

The problem is while BTC went way up, the value of the coins we are mining did not, or at least not a similar amount.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea whatever Skunk is when my 1080tis switch to that it's way more per day, everything else seems roughly the same as it has been for a while now.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Video card money bought me an Oculus Rift! Current rates are solid and still making a premium burrito per day after electricity costs due to the two cards. Curious to see how long this lasts, being on Nvidia means it shouldn't change much until the 11 series cards come out I'd assume.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Need the 8700k to come out so I can finish my new build and get the waterblocks on my 1080tis. My top card ends up thermal throttling and doing 690 sols/s because of all the heat, bottom card does ~750 sols/s. Ended up undervolting the top one a bit so it still does about 690 but runs cooler.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The 1080 and tis seem to memory overclock like crazy, every single one I have had has gone up several hundred, and both my tis do 500 easy. I have not even tested to see how high they will actually go.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Pulling 500w from the wall on a single 1080ti machine seems impossible, I just checked the UPS in my network closest where one my of machines lives. The entire closet is pulling ~475-525w with a 1080ti machine, a mostly idle server, my router, switch, modem and wireless AP. If I turn off Nicehash the usage in the closet drops to a very steady 250w which is exactly in line with what a maxed out 1080ti uses.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
500w is still high for a 1080ti system unless he is also CPU mining. The 1080ti alone should be doing roughly 250(depending on OC/undervolt, so that plus some idle power from the rest of the system.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

I'm not really sure how to even start addressing the issues. How do I figure out what is drawing so much power?

Use the instant readout setting on the kill-a-watt and see what everything is pulling when you're at idle. You should be able to turn nicehash on/off and see it jump ~250w. If you have more than one thing plugged into that outlet, try turning other things off to see what draws power. The computer alone at full idle should be sub 100w.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Sibling of TB posted:

I didn't add any info. I just use gyft to convert coins to amazon giftcards. Though you have to disable 2fa each time you want to do it.

I turn all my GPU money into Amazon money, but Gyft also has a ton of other places you can get gift cards for, with no fees. It's the best way to get money out of Coinbase without going through all the effort of linking it to a bank account.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Have you been paid out to that Coinbase wallet before? They give you a new wallet if the previous one has been used, but combine them all on their end for your balance. You can keep using the old one but if you went to Coinbase to get your Wallet ID it would show a new one. You should be able to see previous wallets or payouts to get the ID for the one you were using and get Nicehash back on that one.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Ok yeah I see that if I go and view my wallet address on coinbase it gives me a new one every few minutes. I looked in the NiceHash console output and I see that I've been using this one: https://www.nicehash.com/miner/17guFNZVvpKPfiUHfj17DcqXr9C2CVB2m2

Can I just use that wallet again and Coinbase knows it's still me? I think I have to if I want Nicehash to pay out at 0.01. If I were to switch to a Nicehash wallet, then that 0.005 just sits in limbo?

Yea Coinbase is fine with you using any of your old wallets addresses, so just use that one until it pays out then swap over.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
From the Nicehash Facebook

Nicehash posted:

Unfortunately, there has been a security breach involving NiceHash website. We are currently investigating the nature of the incident and, as a result, we are stopping all operations for the next 24 hours.
Importantly, our payment system was compromised and the contents of the NiceHash Bitcoin wallet have been stolen. We are working to verify the precise number of BTC taken.
Clearly, this is a matter of deep concern and we are working hard to rectify the matter in the coming days. In addition to undertaking our own investigation, the incident has been reported to the relevant authorities and law enforcement and we are co-operating with them as a matter of urgency.
We are fully committed to restoring the NiceHash service with the highest security measures at the earliest opportunity.
We would not exist without our devoted buyers and miners all around the globe. We understand that you will have a lot of questions, and we ask for patience and understanding while we investigate the causes and find the appropriate solutions for the future of the service. We will endeavour to update you at regular intervals.
While the full scope of what happened is not yet known, we recommend, as a precaution, that you change your online passwords.
We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused and are committing every resource towards solving this issue as soon as possible.

Hope no one was using a Nicehash wallet like was advised in the thread and only loses out on their most recent payout. About $70 lost for me but could be a lot worse.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

On to the next. Unfortunately Minergate does not do lyra2rev which is paying out a lot for 1080ti ($9 a day!) which blows. I cant find any of them that do. Pffffffffffffffffff.

Winminer seems to do lyra2rev, getting just short of $9 on it right now per 1080ti.

EDIT: $9.75 now

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Apparently the balance isn't updating correctly because of the insane increase in load due to Nicehash's hack. They say it shouldn't affect your actual mining gains or payouts, just the live tracking of balance for you.

Also holy poo poo, $16.50/day. PER CARD. Too bad this will never last.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

DrDork posted:

At $600/mo you're looking at 25-ish days to pay off the 1080 and another 40-ish days to pay off the 1080ti.

He's talking CAD numbers so your math is a bit off there.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I am pretty jazzed that I have fully paid off both of my 1080ti's and we are still months away from new Nvidia cards that would cause them to tank in value. GPU mining has always been a much lower risk investment compared to ASIC mining, but lower reward also. Nicehash and other similar systems has just made it much easier and allows me to get actual real money out of it without a ton of steps in the process. Plus if everything goes to poo poo you still have real cards to resell.

It's a horrible idea but I am pretty tempted to actually invest a bit into things if nothing significant has changed when the next gen of cards comes out.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Nist5 seems to be the top algo by far right now, but is only on Nicehash Legacy. It's been steadily around $9.50/day for me on a 1080ti but sometimes spiking over 10-11.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Nicehash 1080ti is still over $9/day as of right now, feels pretty risk free with internal wallet -> Coinbase. With 1 full time 1080ti mining and one mining at night I can withdraw every other day for $25 or so.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Doing six Canadian bucks a day on a 1080 Ti. So, yeah, not great returns.

Seriously just do Nicehash interal wallet into Coinbase, most of the time my 1080ti is doing over $10 USD a day, and rarely does it go under $9. With those rates you hit the minimum withdrawl(.001 or $13.50 at current BTC prices) every other day so you don't have to worry about losing much at all if there's another hack.

I swapped off Winminer as soon as I could as the rates on it were garbage compared to just about anything else.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

tehinternet posted:

So I took NeoScrypt off of the algorithms list on NiceHash because it was making a couple cards crash randomly (out of memory somehow). I’ve gotta get that fixed because that explains the discrepancy with what I’m seeing in the thread.

I mean $4 per card is cool, but it could be more.

Are you running the legacy client? That's what gets me the highest rates by far due to the nist5 algorithm that doesn't exist on the 2.0 client.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Miners started the problem and everyone else is keeping it going. I highly doubt any miners are paying the stupid high prices, its gotta be desperate gamers.

Yea miners are likly not buying cards at 2x retail, but they ARE cleaning out the entire stock of stores that sell cards at actual retail which causes more people to buy online.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Tons of models of GPUs are no longer profitable unless you have cheap power, and even then at .1/kwh a bunch of cards are making like .1-.3 usd per day. Even a 1080ti is barely netting over $1 usd per day after power cost, 700 day payoff rate nothing could go wrong there. I am glad there's always this thread to fall back on as a small island of sanity in the stupid world of mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I stopped mining on both 1080tis, might sell the second one before new cards come out so I get the most out of it. Even after power costs both cards paid for themselves plus quite a bit extra, so I am really happy with how it turned out.

But current rates are just abysmal, $1.5 a day on a 1080ti that costs .5 to run? Just doesn't feel worth it. Maybe some day the free burritos will return, but for now we just get to laugh at all the people still stuck with hardware that isn't paid off.

• Locked thread