Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Thanks for thread, I just broke the very first rule in the OP which was buy a 1070 specifically for this. However I got it at MSRP after looking at ebay prices I figured, at worst, at the moment, id break even (even after shipping, PP fees, ebay fees, the works). Also I have a machine to plop it into. Also it will be running somewhere other than my home (so no power bills).

I guarantee the moment I get this card in my hands the entire market will crash. You may blame this directly on me when the day comes, I don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ethereum down to 300295 USD from 350/360

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 21, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

haha just got this email

dont worry guys, now it will go up because I'm about to cancel

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

At time of receipt ???? Lol

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Re: Ethereum crash from 350 to 13 USD

LOL 😂

Its back up. Its because i started the cancel order process. Ill try to buy locally with a funny hat on maybe i wont crash the market again

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

since you seem to be so good at acquiring cards, can you get me a 580 8gb for personal use? I want one for an actual build but heck no to the prices online. I dont mind paying some to make it worth your while

I found in my area (dallas) best buy of all places had considerable stock of 560s 570s 580s and 1060's 1070's (and 1080s and so on) at non-inflated prices... for the time being. I picked up a non reference PNY 1070 for exactly what it cost a few weeks ago there ($420). Not good, but not retarded either.

They were holding all the 580's and 1070's in the back now but the shelf spot is tagged to say that.

edit: I've seen these things in the GPU thread a long time ago, but does anybody know much about these?

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

Looks like... perhaps $80 total for a mPCIe connection. Presumably you can use a powerbrick or just a separate PSU altogether to run the thing. Turns out I have less spare PC parts than I remembered but basically unlimited access to hundreds of laptops so this is very interesting to me

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 22, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Tabletops posted:

Hey guys, I'm retarded and also could use some money. I have free electricity where I am. How should I capitalize on this?

Thats kind of the boat im in but this three step guide im using has me making $7.000 a day ! Paypal me $7 and ill tell you how

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Im like $500 in guys but im up $8

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

so you are 492 down? great job

stop hating, its actually 490 now

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

im gonna poo poo on buttmining even if it makes me a millionaire

but why didnt I start sooner

:sigh:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yeah I don't know if I'd trust buying a used GPU, specially one used for mining

I didnt either but turns out even the "cheapest" AMD crap-brands (with no greenlight program to boot) survived happily. "Burning out" or "wearing out" isn't a real thing in this scope, in fact it was joked that a buttmining card was basically proof that the GPU core was actually sound. The only thing that failed were the only moving part - the fan.

But yes, even you will buy a 1070 at $138, do not lie

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

divabot posted:

u wot m8. Gaming hardware in particular burns bright and short and wears out before its time, particularly if you're using it at full power 24/7.

no... that is not how it works with gpus , outside of moving parts. It is conceivable that cards operating with nearly out of spec parts may come to light that running them 24/7 may push them over the edge (cough evga) but thats just speculation.

Youre probably thinking about razer mice or something or perhaps CPUs with max vcore

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

I use GPUs for serious (physics) computation work with CUDA for a living and I run into academics all the time who think they can get by just slapping 4x 1080s (or 980s or whatever) into a server and running them at full-tilt. In my experience they lose about 50% of those cards after a year. Consumer-grade video cards are actually not designed to be used 24/7; their failure rates go way up when you do that, and those failure rates increase further when you pack several them into a poorly-ventilated space (such as a homebrew "computation" box or a mining rig). There are computational-grade graphics cards that are actually designed to survive in a high-load setting, but they cost a lot more

We're talking about statistical likelihood of failure here, so obviously you'll still stand a decent change of finding a 1080 or 1070 card that will work fine for years as a normal gaming GPU despite being abused like that. But if you're normally skittish about buying refurb hardware, like most people are, then buying a GPU used for mining is not for you; think of it as buying refurb with a far higher chance of failure and no warranty. It's a gamble that you stand a decent chance of winning but holy poo poo don't pretend like there's no chance of failure

I'm sorry dude, I'm no "mining card apologist" but a 50% failure rate after one year of use means you have major problems elsewhere. That is a ridiculous failure rate, "consumer" version or not. FYI, its very well documented over almost two decades now how the build quality of AIBs often exceeds any Tesla version of the same chipset.

But yes, we are entering uncharted territory here throwing modern Nvidia cards into the do-math-now mode. There is a possibility they unravel and explode being used 24/7. But there is absolutely no precedent or actual reason to think so based on 1) how things work and 2) reality.

Poor ventilation is a real concern though.

Weatherman posted:

How many of you are planning, after you've finished thrashing them half to death for your internet pogs, to put your graphics cards on Craigslist with the description "almost-new, hardly-used <whatever>" with the self-justification "Well these cards are designed for gaming and I hardly used them for gaming so it's true"?

edit: Also how many of you have already returned new graphics cards for warranty replacement after thrashing them to death with the reason for the claim being "it was DOA" or "I hardly ran it at all in a cool environment and it just stopped out of the blue"?

Actually I bought a shrink wrap machine to sell my warehouse full of mining cards as new. Then I'm going to buy firesale cards off ebay, wrap those up, and sell them as new as well.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Whenever I buy like a toaster or something it always says that it's for normal residential use only, and commercial use voids the warranty. Because obviously a restaurant will put a lot more wear and tear on a toaster than a normal family will.

I don't know if video cards have a clause like that, but if they did mining is arguably 'commercial use' not normal consumer/residential use. They can be used for mining, but that isn't what they are designed to do, and the warranty claims are based on normal use.

A residential toaster and a commercial toaster might as well not be the same product. A residential toaster will have much thinner coils, for example, that will simply break if actually used all day. This is no comparison to what an equivalent "commercial" and "residential" GPU core is or does in any possible way.

There may be specific lines in GPU warranties that void them based on mining in general. I doubt it, since it would impact sales, and it wouldn't make much sense to begin with. Unlike a toaster a GPU core doesn't need to "rest". It has a lifespan indeed but its literally something in the order of 100,000 hours or something so high its completely irrelevant. If you wanted to get Technical Terry about it, thats like saying your warranty is void because you ran 3D Mark too much. It doesn't make much sense in the context of what this is referring to. Also, does 24/7 gaming become commercial use? That would be much "harder" on the GPU overall as well, not that I'd expect that to have any greater impact than anything else though.

Anyway... if you dont want one dont buy one I guess is all this is going to come down to, but lets say the market crashes in a month and we're flooded with cards. I'd literally rather buy a 2 month old mining card than a 2 month old card that was "just" used for games. At least one of those stories makes sense and only one of them implies you'll get a working card.

Fauxtool posted:

dont forget to wipe your balls on the cards before you wrap

goes without saying

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Actually seriously I just read this thread for laughs, I never got going. Hopefully my 290 still has value because of this idiocy, my 1080 Ti is here. Go in peace sweet prince, you were a far better graphics card than I could've expected.

Oh yes sell sell sell sell. Pretty sure $250 is easy for a 290 right now

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

cheese-cube posted:

No one in this thread is making anything beyond a fuckin pittance. Good job ya'll.

I made $25 over the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

cheese-cube posted:

It's not free. People just see promises of free money and leave their reasoning at the door.

dude poo poo I always leave that at the door what am I missing

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

these dudes are mining theyre just annoyed we're f'ing up their hashes or however this dumb crap works

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Stealthgerbil posted:

Eh screw em. I'll take my free couple of burritos worth of zcash that my 1070 makes for me every day. If someone told me that I could run a computer that would let me get a few burritos worth of fake money every day, I would have never believed them.

It's not free though dont you get it!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Got my first whopping completely free $27 deposit guys. all this free money makes it all worth it

edit: I discovered yesterday that for mining purposes my 1070 and 1080 can both take a huge memory overclock that otherwise is not stable (or even close to stable) for gaming. Over +1600 mhz on the 1080, +1200 mhz on the 1070.

I have run into another issue with my 1070 (which is the main card that runs 24/7) does not hold an OC of any kind, no matter how mild, after about a day. I dont know why this is, its not rebooting or crashing, Afterburner is still there and the profile is still up but I have to click "apply" again.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 27, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

Lower your OC, it's crashing after a certain amount of time and reverting to stock clocks.

I haven't messed with it enough to be confident but it was doing this with a very minor OC, like running in the 1800's on core clock and barely any memory OC. In comparison, it'll run just fine in the 1900's+ and six times the memory OC ... for about a day. But unlike crashes I'm used to, this doesnt even reboot the computer or give me a driver failed dialog, in fact it doesn't even zero out the Afterburner sliders themselves. Its strange but not all that important I suppose, maybe ill try like a +1 overclock and see if it does the same thing. I also changed over to the 2.0.0.7 alpha build

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Arivia posted:

I'm pretty sure you're being exactly the guy everyone is worried about buying a pre-broken used 1070 from in two months

If a 1900 overclock concerns anybody I have some baaaaaaad news

Also if you care to notice I specifically placed my cards on Non-Conductive materials and ganged several PSU's together to spread the power load for a clean oxygen free sine wave power signal.

trust me im the last of your worries

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 27, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

If they have outputs, what exactly is the difference? poo poo if those are any cheaper than their "gaming" counterparts I dont see much reason to get a more expensive card with outputs you wont need

edit: I suppose its also protection for the manufacturer, if mining tanks then its not like they arent useful cards to sell

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 27, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I've done the G10 + Kraken route and others and was very, very pleased. I've heard a lot of complaints about pump noise with EVGA kits but I experienced none in the G10 + AIO route. I'm actually thinking about going back to that setup if I can figure out how to attach one to a RVZ02 case to eliminate most of the fan noise during gaming.

The concern in the past was no direct cooling for VRMs and memory and it was a founded one in very specific scenarios for high TDP cards. There was testing done with FLIR to show that heat on the PCB temperature could "run away" if it passed a certain threshold. However it took running Furmark on a 290 and OG Titan to pull it off, and only while overclocked. Otherwise the entire PCB cooled dramatically with all the heat getting sucked up through the waterblock just on the GPU itself. These days its even less of a concern, outside of perhaps the Vega card.

https://www.amazon.com/Saim-Cooling...AMAT7DP6CYPAWCW

You can stick on heatsinks like that if you want but it is without a doubt no longer necessary, but hey more cooling isn't a bad thing and there is a little peace of mind along with it.

Overall I'll always recommend the bracket + AIO route for a reasonably priced way to water cool GPUs. It's so effective you can set your AIO fan speed at a constant inaudible level and there is nothing you can do to the GPU to get it to throttle. Another plus is you can use what normally are considered lovely AIO's but they happen to work extremely well on GPUs

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Cygni posted:

Yeah, i've seen the same thing. I think its the ether miner crashing the nvidia display driver occasionally, which kicks the clocks back to fail-safe. Doesnt seem to happen if nicehash is mining anything else.

I dicked around with this a bit more and it still does it even when I have 0 added voltage and no 0% power target but a small memory OC. Or a max OC. It doesn't seem to matter. I'm ready to give up, though its a shame because the memory can overclock to the moon with no additional voltage at all. My 1080 on my main desktop doesn't ever reset its OC even maxed out ever. I did however find out this particular PNY 1070 runs at a whopping 57 degrees C at an inaudible fan speed at full tilt so I'll sacrifice a few pennies for that - a side note that I'm utterly impressed by this mid range dual fan 1070. I've had 3 1070's now that ran louder than this. And it even has a lifetime warranty lol

The fact that the memory OC is off the table for some unknown reason is going to bug me forever since it has no affect on anything else other than a few watts.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fruit Chewy posted:

I turned some mined bitcoin into amazon giftcards which I turned into EVE Online space gold because I figured I needed to complete the hosed up circle of virtual libertarian currencies.

Is that fee-less or something? I didnt see the appeal of anything outside of "put it into bank account please" since the fee was more than reasonable.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Man, you hate me.

Having reached my mid 30s I'm now comfortably into "1080p with vsync is good enough for anything." I considered a high refresh rate monitor for Overwatch because I like responsiveness and hate tearing in that sort of game, but that was the only game I considered it for and decided it wasn't important enough. Nothing is going to bowl me over like going from software-rendered Quake to hardware Quake did, so I buy the best possible screen my PlayStation supports and make my PC use that.

I'll probably get a 4K freesync monitor when PS5 comes out and not care about higher refresh than 60 unless Sony supports it.

If its in the cards, get a high refresh monitor. I always knew it was pretty sweet but I thought it'd be aesthetics. It literally transformed how I played overwatch.

Hmmm buttmining thread: use buttcoins to buy?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

What are you running to gwt these numbers

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

How are people getting these standardized MH/s figures to compare to one another?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

why are people paying over retail for 3rd party 1070's when the FE from the nvidia store is in stock and always been in stock through all the shortages.

The 25% more you would pay retail for an open air cooler doesnt give you 25% more mining performance.

I just sold my 1070FE to someone on Craigslist who doesnt realize they arent hard to get.

*edit oh wait they say in stock on the main page but backordered in cart. Still though, estimated ship date: 6/30/17 and you can actually order them without having to fight all the bots on newegg

Yeah the nvidia stock is a lie. That ship date of 6/30 was the ship date last week. At least they tell you irs backordered now!

The people handling that (digitalriver?) kind of suck

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Alright guys I'm posting this because im pretty god drat proud, but feel free to laugh. I violated the poo poo out of rule #1 on day 0 so I figured well, go all in!

I present to you the computer made out of garbage

a few fitment issues lol (nothing a hacksaw didnt solve)

(all prices including shipping, tax, etc)
$10 - Craigslist Case (Coolermaster 915R ??? never heard of this weird rear end thing)
$28 - Ebay Intel "i5" 4570T
$20 - Ebay Unknown pulled B85 Acer Motherboard
$22 - Amazon new PSU EVGA something
$0 - 4 GB drawer ram
$6 - Store bought lovely zalman cooler

Took me a week but $86 to put together an actual computer that works to plug a GPU into is unreal to me. The 1070 I have in it is being returned to best buy so I can put my current (cheaper) 1080 into it as I have a 1080ti on the way for my regular computer

I do have a small issue with this CPU, Nicehash doesn't seem to find it to mine with. It seems to meet all the requirements I could find (specifically AES instruction set and "not old"). I've seen it generally not recommend to mine with the CPU but this is a 35W TDP CPU and so far CPU mining has gained me about 10% on top. Even my OC'd 6600k uses 30 more watts over not using it which has totally been worth it so I'd like to CPU mine if possible.

edit: (oh yeah, windows 10 evaluation and an old ssd I pulled from my main computer I never use). Its also dead silent at 100% load, puts my main computer to shame

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 1, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

So, you built a machine for mining. It's a dumb machine, but building a machine for mining is dumb so you didn't put much skin in the game. Wise idea.

But, you're returning your 1070 to Best Buy (where presumably you didn't pay more than MSRP for it) so you can put in a 1080, which is worse for mining than the 1070.

Why not keep the 1070 and sell the 1080? True bitfuckers would want that fast RAM.

I dont know, the 1080 has consistently made more money so far but I haven't looked into it. I figured the 1080 was not favorable because it cost more not because it mined worse. Very occasionally the 1070 might get close to the 1080 but typically the 1080 has been doing ~20% better. Also I paid $400 flat for it and it will have more inherent resale value because of a serial based warranty and the fact its just a 1080

I just looked it up on the nicehash calculator and the 1080 shows slightly better. The figures are much closer to each other than I've personally seen (though my comparisons haven't been apples to apples with different CPU's) the 1080 still "wins" in my case since I actually got it for less money to start with.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm just going to hold onto my bitcoins and hope they go up in value is this a good idea? Should I buy some more?

take out a loan on your 401k to buy as many as possible, the returns are greater that way

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Godspeed you huge retard

Honestly if you can get it to mine without being a huge fire hazard, more power to you

Speaking of fire hazards are you sure that cheapo PSU is fine for it? Other than that, good luck

Btw I read today that they're definitely halving the rewards for miners in ETH, going it goes up in value to make up for it, and then going to PoS

The goal was cheap as humanely possible without being an imminent fire hazard. I believe i accomplished this. Oh and be a decent computer which i far exceeded my goals there

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E1...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is the PSU which was new and the whole setup probably uses 200 watts but i didnt put a kilawatt on yet

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Godinster posted:

I thought Best Buy doesn't allow returns on open GPUs?

They do afaik if its within the tiny return window of 14 days. At worst I might get slapped with a 15% restocking fee at which point it'll go straight to ebay, no harm, I wont make a fuss about it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

This is a good thing, CPU mining has a negative RROI across the board

Ill keep lookimg into it but it costs me 30 watts max, much less so with this new crap build which only has a 35 watt TDP in total. At those rates that 30 cents a day is costing me 5 cents in power. The issue im seeing is that the cpu is working to some moderate degree anyway. Certainly a standalone idle cpu to cpu mining max on say a 125 watt cpu would be dumb but as of now its firmly worth doing in terms of roi in my case

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Get a Killawatt and measure the power draw at idle vs load. TDP stands for thermal design power and is an estimate of the maximum waste heat you can expect to have to deal with when running normal CPU-bound applications. This is less than the amount of power that your system is pulling from the wall when you CPU mine.

That is where im getting my rough figures. For example from the wall my aystem draws 300-310 watts when GPU mining. If i add CPU mining it goes up to 330 watts. The CPU seems to be engaged when GPU mining only just not running at full power, but that difference isnt much. I think the idea that CPU mining isnt worth it comes from comparing idle power draw to mining power draw which isnt realistic (at this scale)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Themage posted:

How many of you pay for your electricity

7 cents kwh comes out to $16 a month

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

frog in a pot and all that, I can believe it having been close to heat stroke many many times (though not because i fell asleep buttmining and was too lazy to install an A/C :lol:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular posted:

I dunno why it's so slow. I installed the 3rd party software. I downloaded and installed the Nicehash software again just to make sure I did it correctly, but I got the same benchmark results as before.

You can try the Nicehash 2.0 but I'm going to guess that isn't the problem but its something to try. I just checked my 1070 and its currently running daggerhashimoto (sigh) at 28.5 MH/s with no OC

edit: An even longer shot, but for my garbage miner pc build I had all sorts of issues until I managed to find all my chipset drivers

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread