Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Scarecow posted:

does someone mind doing a run down on how to setup winminer to do something thats more then $2 a day on a 1080ti?

(1) Disable your anti-virus for a few minutes / know how to add exceptions for everything
(2) Install Winminer
(3) If you want, grab the .7z from the last page and throw the contents into /AppData/Local/Winminer/Miners
(4) Click on Settings and uncheck "Express benchmark" the first time you run it
(5) Click run
(6) Hope for the best

That's about it. The $15+ things were more or less just flashes in the night from people who happened to be well-positioned to take up the slack when NiceHash poo poo itself. They're gone now, and everyone's back down to more or less whatever they were before.

That said, VTC one-click is pretty easy to set up (other than waiting for a good while for the wallet to sync if you're setting a new one up) and seems to be paying out solidly more than Winminer for NVidia cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Tremors posted:

Has anyone cashed out of winminer yet?

Nah, I'm letting them keep my mortgage payments in their hot-wallet because they are Buttcoin Professionals (tm) and know what they're doing to keep my taco-dollars safe!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It makes sense in the context of pushing back against the True Believers who think that *coin will/should largely or entirely supplant national fiat currencies by reminding them that we'd have to literally dedicate entirety of the power budget of the developed world to make that happen. Which isn't gonna happen. Hence *coins are self-limiting in that respect, and will never and can never supplant basic national currencies that aren't built atop the ziggurat of computationally-expensive transactions.

Of course, the True Believer will never accept this reality, so having the argument in the first place is a fool's errand. :shrug:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Are any of the more optimized *coins sustainable in the long run though for transactions?

Not in any sort of meaningful way. They all require a fairly large amount of computational power be utilized to verify transactions. Sure, some *coins are more expensive than others at this, but they're all massively more expensive than your basic USD credit card transaction, to say nothing of cash. This is an issue inherent to the design of any massively distributed peer-based *coin network.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Also, isn't the overall energy ceiling decreasing for mining? Last round you had graphics cards that ran at 350w stock, and now they're 250... I assume if they can keep it up that'll alleviate some of this.

While performance-per-watt has, indeed, gone up with GPU generations, so has the mining difficulty. That is, your 350W card might have mined $5/day last round, but now it would mine only $3/day or whatever. To retain that $5/day you'd need to upgrade your old 350W card to a new 350W card.

The entire thing is intentionally designed to keep people racheting up to ever more powerful machines if they want to have any hope of mining at a profit in a reasonable time frame.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It would except for the insane valuations right now that have driven the prices of higher-end GPUs up and up. When the bubble eventually pops you'll probably be able to get a quad-SLI rig for a song (not that quad-SLI even works anymore), but right now even used prices are kinda stupid for most modern cards.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
WinMiner so far has been pretty disappointing for me with a 1080--it keeps mining random poo poo-coins at <$2/day whenever I let it run for a bit. I've more or less given up on it for the moment and wandered over to a VTC one-click miner on p2pool, which seems to pay out alright, although hilariously sporadically--like not getting paid anything for 24-48hrs and then getting a whole bunch of payments in the span of an hour or two.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, ETH is up over 30% just today. Man, *coin speculation never ceases to amaze me.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Senso posted:

This is almost an art piece.

"Hopes on A Wall"
An installation piece
$8,000

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Well, you have to expect to use at least some flavoring to cover up the lead and whatnot.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Just roll them straight over to the Soylent vats for a quick shot of extra protein!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

tehinternet posted:

I’ve been mining vertcoin for a couple days but haven’t gotten near the $3.00 daily that what to mine says I should be getting.

Are there better pools or better programs beyond the one-click miner VC uses?

If you're a small-fish miner, in most cases you should be appending /0 to your wallet address. This will reduce the difficulty, which has the end effect of increasing accepted shares and upping your payouts. Also don't mine to like 10 different pools at the same time, since it'll just mean you're not earning shares efficiently anywhere.

OCM is a fairly solid program in and of itself--basically any issues you'll have with payouts and profitability is going to be a problem with the pool.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, I'll admit to not being 100% sure how the whole difficulty bits actually work at a low level. I do know that, as a small-fish miner myself (a single 1080), I went from having multiple days without payouts to getting fairly stable payouts by using the /0 flag.

But yeah, if you're a serious miner running your own pool/proxy makes a lot of sense.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yes. So when you open OCM and do Search for Pools or whatever it's called to add a new pool, you put in your wallet address to get paid with a /0 on the end. So it'll be something like VhoawhljhDWHLJAljhdaljhwodhiao/0

Presumably you can use other numbers to tune the difficulty, but I haven't bothered to look into that much.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, so far that seems like a big limitation on Winminer vs NiceHash--with NiceHash you could get paid directly in BTC without having to go through the transfer shenanigans, making it a lot easier to ride the wave of valuation.

Of course, now everyone's Nicehash values are $0, so...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Spatial posted:

Wasn't one of the Nicehash guys also a known scammer/criminal or am I misremembering

If they weren't before, they probably are now!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

god bitcoin is really terrible.

And it's nearing $20k/coin! To the moooooooon!.

What? Space suits? Why would we need those?

Seriously, though, Nvidia needs to drop their next round of gaming cards soon so I can cash out my buttcoins for something nice before the bubble inevitably pops once people realize how fundamentally crippled BTC really is as a transactional system.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

looks like there was a large shift downwards on all the major coins, bitcoin, eth, litecoin and many more.

Clearly they were all being sold to buy the true Master Coin(tm)--BCH! Which is inexplicably up 24% today.

Honestly, I think "inexplicably" is about the only way to sum this whole thing up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

This is confusing the hell out of me, why do I suddenly have this in my account? I mean it looks like they just gave me free money but that sounds way too good to be true.

Says the guy in the thread about turning electricity and spare GPU cycles into burritos for just pressing a button.

But in all seriousness, yeah, that's how it is--some dudes decided they didn't like how BTC was going, so they forked it onto their own deal. Everyone who had BTC now has the same amount of BTC (since they can't actually do anything to the original BTC chain), as well as this new BCH stuff, and some BTG stuff, too, because who wouldn't want three forks of the same thing?

The real question is going to be who is willing to honor the new stuff--presumably someone will, but for how much and how long is anyone's guess. Maybe it takes off and is worth something. Maybe enough people decide that forks are stupid and it evaporates. :iiam:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
My butts are made of D-grade beef and cheese! And carbs!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

tehinternet posted:

Wonder how much they “gained”

By their counts, about $64,000,000.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

P.S. don't buy any used GPUs in the next couple years. At all.

Hardly. Just don't be stupid about it:

(1) Don't buy it off Craigslist. Ever. Just don't.
(2) Buy NVidia.
(3) Buy a card from a manufacturer that does serial-based warranties, so you can get support if you have issues.

If you do that, things will be fine. Other than possibly burning out a fan (which would be covered under warranty), there's very little that mining can do to hurt the cards, especially since with this current generation of NVidia cards, you can't flash the BIOS to unlock crazy voltages anymore. AMD you should just stay away from entirely, but that's more a price:performance issue.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Is it still $100-ish minimum cashouts?

More like $160ish thanks to the recent BTC runup. Doesn't look like they've changed their payout schedule at all, which is probably a vote to stay with Winminer or similar for people with normal-person earnings per day, since at $4/day it'd take about 40 days to get 0.01 BTC and actually get paid to an external wallet.

Nicehash posted:

Payments schedule for sellers:

Once per day for NiceHash wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.001 BTC.
Once per day for external wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.1 BTC.
Once per week for external wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.01 BTC.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Nicehash seems to be back to working fine. Just note that they nuked all the old wallet addresses, so you need to log into your account to make a new one (there's a big button for it right under your 0.0000 BTC balance)--something they did not mention in any of their announcements.

According to their earnings algo, they're paying about $5.50/d where Winminer was paying me about $4.60/d. Though Winminer has stolen roughly $300 less from me than Nicehash has (theoretical future repayment from mystery "investors" who would be dumb enough to sink $60+M into them), so there's that.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 21, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

There is zero message or indication of any sort of repayment plan. Their website doesn't even seem to acknowledge that anything happened at all :lol:

If you read through all like 6 pages of announcements, they note that they have "investors" or something who are planning on fronting the money to pay people back (assuming you had more than 0.0001 BTC, which is <$2). But they won't go into details about how or who or when until it's "all signed" sometime in January. Don't get me wrong, I'd love my ~$300 back, but I'm not counting on anyone being silly enough to knowingly dump $60M into them to pay people back. Maybe if they'd had insurance and were working with them to get restitution, sure, but this sounds a bit questionable.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

Nicehash 'investors' is the biggest load of horseshit ever, they are trying to fund the payouts through regular fees. Not only that but they are relying on miners to ignore smaller amounts of losses to be directed to the those with larger losses.

While I don't disagree that the whole thing sounds pretty fishy, the lower limit for repayment of 0.0001BTC works out to about $1.60. If you lost less than $1.60 I feel pretty ok with saying that you're SOL and better luck next time.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, and doesn't Nicehash still only deposit to Bitcoin? Woudln't you lose a whole chunk to the BTC processing fee? I thought it was something like $7 or something right now.. or it that only if you need it expedited?

Yup. Paying to BTC is both good and bad, depending on what BTC's price is doing. The withdrawl fee is 0.0005BTC, which right now works out to $7.75 or so. Hence why a lot of people were willing to let their earnings chill out in Nicehash's wallets vs paying $7 to withdraw $150 every month or so.

Also, for those of you jumping back on the Nicehash bandwaggon and who plan on actually using their computers while mining, I recommend taking a look at the older 1.8.x Legacy client. It properly allows you to set intensity levels of the various miners, meaning you can tune it to only be using 98-99% of your GPU and not lag the gently caress out of the rest of your computer. For whatever reason Nicehash 2.x seems to lack that ability.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wolrah posted:

Last time I tried to use the legacy client (a month or so before NH exploded) it didn't want to run on nVidia at all unless you reverted to an ancient driver. Is that still the case?

I never had this issue. I'm running a single 1080 and have the most recent drivers and have zero issues.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

diapermeat posted:

BTC is hosed right now.

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions
280k unconfirmed transactions.

I tried sending $300 through my exodus wallet and the fee was $95.

I think I'll stick with awesomeminor/mining directly with the client or until nicehash offers different payouts coins.

"Transactions Per Second 3.27"

It's almost like it's growth can't be sustained past a certain point...

But yeah, once the Nicehash honeymoon honeypots are over, if Winminer can get within 10% or so, I'd probably just go with them for ease of moving my funbux somewhere I can actually spend them.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah but I'm asking the other way around. If I try to send $0.01 worth of BitCoin to someone else right now, will it actually trigger a transaction and waste the world's time and energy and drive transaction costs up higher, or will the network refuse the transaction because it can't even cover the fee?

The amount being transferred and the fee are separate things. You could absolutely send $0.01 worth of BTC if you were willing to pay whatever the going rate for a transaction fee is (~$90?). Why you would do this is another question entirely, but that the network allows it is how you end up with stories of idiots spending thousands to move piddly amounts because they transposed the transfer amount and transaction fee fields.

It's not like you say "I want to transfer $100, and $100 disappears from my account" and the network goes "Ok, cool, we're gonna take $90 of that as a fee so your recipient only gets $10."

It's more like "I want to transfer $100 and I'm willing to pay a $90 fee to make it happen reasonably fast, so $190 disappears from my account and $100 eventually ends up where I sent it."

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

How are you gentlemen

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

nerox posted:

How do you pre-mine a bitcoin fork?

Also since every bitcoin in existence is essentially duped in a fork, isn't saying "no premine" a little disingenuous?

In "no-premie" versions, everyone holding X BTC now gets X New-Coin (or X * Y or whatever scale they're using).

In "premie" versions, everyone holding X BTC now gets X New-Coin (or X * Y or whatever scale they're using), and the people pushing the fork get a bonus Z New-Coins for their efforts, enriching themselves and somewhat diluting everyone else's values. Kinda like when a company issues new stocks, but gives them all to their C-level employees.

SBTC, for example, is basically skimming 1% straight off the top of whatever the eventual valuating is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I've made :10bux: with winminer so far, will be exciting to see if paying out to paypal actually works once I get to $20

It does. Winminer pays out legit. Their scammy bit is they seem to pay a bit too low compared to everyone else, so presumably they're skimming a good chunk off the top. But at least you can actually cash out at reasonable rates.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
[Removed]

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
...and he's asking how to trade on margin because it's at such a discount right now he would be irresponsible if he didn't pick up more!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sneeze Party posted:

It's possible that ETH or ETC any coin will completely fall apart at some point in the future.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Is Coinbase the only real option for extracting USD? Because if so lol

There are several others, but Coinbase is probably the most user-friendly and reliably functional of them.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
At $600/mo you're looking at 25-ish days to pay off the 1080 and another 40-ish days to pay off the 1080ti.

Assuming you can actually cash out, of course.

e; I've been getting ~$7-8/day out of MiningPoolHub on a single 1080. There are a few real weird coins that have been paying silly rates lately. No idea wtf they are or why. Also don't care! Gimme mah money, random investment people!

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 4, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cinara posted:

He's talking CAD numbers so your math is a bit off there.

You're right. With the conversion to USD, those times-to-pay-off jump by 25%.

And then of course you have to factor in VAT and the generally higher CAD prices anyhow, and you're probably looking at more like +50%.

So like 37ish days for the 1080 and an additional 60ish days for the 1080Ti, assuming prices remain where they are (they won't).

Still, three months to pay off two top-end video cards is pretty :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

tehinternet posted:

I used to be like you. I underestimated the stupidity of Bitcoin.

Says you to the guy idly considering buying a second 1080 to both SLI (:downs:) and mine while idle.

Fauxtool posted:

Which gpus are most likely to hold value when the big sell off happens? I feel like 570 580 and 1060 will be bad since there are just so many. 1080ti might take a larger hit if the new gen x70 is as good and 400.

I feel like the 1070 is most likely to hold the closest to msrp

In that the 1070 is selling for $475 with no problem, you'd be silly to expect the 1170 to drop at $400 unless AMD magically puts out something relevant in the meantime. I'd actually expect the 1070 to take a large hit, on the grounds that it's the most over-bought right now, and as soon as the pressure shifts off of it onto the new hotness, prices are likely to tank.

The 1080ti, likewise, I'd expect to take a good hit, as it is also a bit price-inflated right now, and will lose out as people move to the new 1180 for somewhat better performance and presumably much better efficiency. Less of a hit than the 1070, though.

Oddly, I'd expect the 1080 to take a comparatively small hit, since it's one of the few cards that hasn't gotten terribly jacked up in price by buttminers, and thus simply has less far to fall.

• Locked thread