Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

everyone please remember as made in abyss moves forward that it is a story written by the character designer of Elebits

Elebits was a deeply flawed game but the character designs weren't why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
The new season of Symphogear is the best yet and if you're not on board yet you should be.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Xelkelvos posted:

Centaurs Worries would be 50% better if it just about the little kids and their powerful sister

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

aquarion evol was the best mecha anime ever made because the commander guy went THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUTH IN THIS WORLD or whatever in the last episode and then the title card showed up and the evol flipped around to be LOVE and this was an actual twist in the show

sold

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Princess Principal & Symphogear are my favorites for action. Haven't found a comedy that I really love.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, Guru Guru was totally not my pace but it's definitely something that should be looked at by everyone here. It's a love it or hate it kinda deal, but I strongly implore that you watch the first two episodes of Princess Principal if you have any interest at all in spy fiction.

I'll take a shot at Guru Guru. I hadn't even heard of it!

I 100% agree with you about Princess Principal. You'll know whether or not you like it by the end of the second episode.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

Also, Dorothy is best girl.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Princess Principal is super good and the faces in it are amazing.

I think Dorothy's smile is my favorite, because never quite reaches her eyes...

She's a dangerous lady.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
If I want to dip my toes in the idol thing in preparation for the season of idols where should I start?

The only thing I've seen remotely along those lines is Symphogear.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I am now seven episodes into Centaur's Worries and I still have no idea how I feel about it. The tone of that show is beyond bizarre.

Wark Say posted:

Watch Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls for the animation because HOLY HELL, whoever many dudes and ladies animated the dance routines and the character animation, they knocked it out of the park.

Alright I'm going with this one!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Nipponophile posted:

It's writing 101 to make your protagonist someone that your intended audience can relate to.

Yes, I'm Kazuma.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

rincewind101 posted:

at this point the only reason I watch Centaur's Worries is for the continuing adventures of snake girl. everything else is kind of dull.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

i too get extremely uncomfortable when a piece of fiction doesn't blatantly signpost its morals and themes, and expects me to decide how to feel about them for myself. i get all itchy on my skin.

I mean, even beyond the weird police state thing, we're talking about a show which spent a fifteen-minute segment talking about how a lady centaur can't see her own vagina. where mermaids start right below the pelvis (for SEX REASONS). where nearly every episode seems to have some part where the comedy drops out completely so a teenaged girl can browbeat her own dad for not being an effective provider.

It's weird and uncomfortable for reasons beyond being just being hard to read.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Space Flower posted:

the scenario in question happened in literally one episode, not "nearly every episode", and this is unfairly reductive of a genuinely interesting family situation the show puts time and care into expanding on

Manami, the class rep char, owns. she 's a talented and diligent student who's being sought after by extracurricular groups but she pushes personal opportunities away so she can work a side job and take care of her younger siblings. we see her emotional motivation for this in ep 4 which also sets up the parallel between her grandfather and her father; he wants to be a painter but doesn't have enough faith in himself to make it his job. on the other hand he doesn't drop his hobby to focus on being a single father of five kids and support them all financially. instead he works part-time and relies on government welfare that comes in because of his youngest child's medical condition.

if her dad worked full-time, Manami wouldn't have to take a part-time job and could take interest in extracurricular activities, but she loves her family and is completely fine with taking care of everyone while he chases his dream of painting. she has a problem with him sitting on the fence because it's not helping either of them and that's an understandable conflict, not 'browbeating'. it's a realistic portrayal of an imperfect but loving household. we also see how they drop the conversation when the young kids wake up, and every other scene with the family shows Manami and her dad being loving and patient with the triplets and it's cute.

I think it's cool to see the interplay between large-scale worldbuilding, local drama, and cute slice-of-life content, and Manami's family is a good example of the show tying these aspects together.

That's a pretty cool framing of it. I may not be giving the show's plotting enough credit.

Now explain the the horse vagina ep please

Ed: It definitely seems like there's enough interest to merit a thread

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Don't tell me you've never been curious

look, I'm new to being an anime sex weird. I only started watching Symphogear like three months ago

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait wait wait

Symphogear's sex is weird?

Boobs and butts are weird?

Sometimes a piece of media post will attempt to give off one tone, but the intended audience will receive another

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

that guy literally works for crunchyroll i would not trust his infodigging at all

not even in some conspiracy way he just has a vested interest in trying to make this problem seem terrible

how about crunchyroll gets sympghogear AZX and we can start talking

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

nielsm posted:

Weird stuff beginning to happen in Centaur's Worries?

I thought it was tasteless to set the mermaid portion of the episode in Houston.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

galko was good because it was written by a person who viewed women as human beings

nani?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
What anime youtubers are good? I don't really 'know' anything about anime besides the shows I've liked; I wouldn't mind learning more about the industry or seeing analysis of stuff or whatever.

I saw a video by Dijibro talking about Gurren Lagann's character designs that I thought was pretty cool! A lot of that stuff probably seemed obvious to people who know anything about visual design, but I don't, so it was cool to me.

Is there more cool stuff along those lines?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

Look at this lazy-butt. :toughguy:

Canipa Effect for animation, Super Eyepatch Wolf for the more personal stuff (though he does include information on things about the industry). Mother's Basement is good for his OP / ED analysis. Gigguk for the more joke-y stuff. Digibro is kind of weird. I personally find him to be an unlikeable fucknugget, even if some of his earlier stuff (like the videos he's done from Gurren Lagann and the one from Kill la Kill) was okay-ish.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Endorph posted:

id rather watch an hour long video on why sword art online rules than an hour long video on how much sword art online sucks

passion and enthusiasm are inherently more interesting than lazy cynicism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAFzen4F7VM

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, abuse and emotional manipulation are pretty standard Dumb Soap Opera Crap. We live in a world where Twilight and 50 Shades were both smash hits, after all.

look what you made me do

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

uh

'tone problems'

ed:

Centaur's Worries is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to feed to a starving POW.
You can levy a lot of complaints at the show, but you can't say it doesn't change things up!

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 3, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sakurazuka posted:

Centaur Hitler for page 69

when they came for the Centaurs, I said "neiigh"

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

WOAH hahaha, look at this wild tone!!! *posts two screenshots without context*

in one scene, a member of the Hoofen-SS has just shot two civilians. He aims his gun at his next victim, a child, before he is stopped by his fellow soldier. They've met their quota of victims... for now. "Have we?", replies the soldier. He lowers the gun, but cannot resist kicking the child full in the chest as a final act of cruelty and dominance.

The next shot is of a train moving through a bleak European countryside. Inside one of the cars, the child is packed together with dozens of other victims on their way to a concentration camp; they are packed closely together like cattle, deliberately reminiscent of the victims of Buchenwald.

In the other scene, the girl with the sleepy eyes has done the centaur girl's (Hime's) hair in a very cute way.

Ed:
A couple of thoughts about the composition of those scenes: Visually, it's interesting to note how Hime's giant eyes and deliberately abstracted facial features make her look like a doll or toy, cute and harmless - it's the counterpoint of a visual gag. In contrast, the composition of the shot renders both soldiers faceless; they are embodiments of man's inhumanity to - uh, centaur's inhumanity to - look, I lost the train here somewhere. Tone. These scenes have very different tone.

There is a thematic through line: the focus of the section from screenshot #1 was on the centaur girl's family history. She is descended from a warrior princess, but she is totally harmless; just a teenage girl worried about her looks and her grades. She Is removed from the difficulties of the past.

I think the show knows what it's doing. I just don't have any idea what the gently caress it's doing.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 4, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

by context i was more looking for how the two scenes related. like yeah if you smash cut from nazi centaur war crimes to hairbrushing that would sure be an intense juxtaposition, but my gut says the show and source material aren't that cheap.

Ok?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It's like if Demi-Chan spent an episode reflecting on when the Vice Principal burned down a village back in 'Nam.

Ed: As a Jew I like Shoahbiscut a little better but they're both solid puns

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

AnacondaHL posted:

inb4 a Surströmming defender shows up

There's an interesting metaphor between consuming bad but palatable foods and bad anime. Something something you develop a taste for it something.

In conclusion, :barf:

Schlivowitz and Anime. Why didn't I think of it before?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Knorth posted:

Centaur Art Date(s) was very good, the Chisters swapping out periodically is cute and I'm enjoying the ongoing story of art dad and good daughter a lot

I agree! This episode recontextualizes some small bits in previous episodes, too; for example, Manami being slightly uncomfortable about the (other) lesbian couple in their class kissing in front of her sisters.

Centaur's Worries is cool, if poorly named. Manami is the main character. It should be 'Angel-Sister's Troubles'.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

jng2058 posted:

The ED makes it perfectly clear who the show considers the main character.

Then why isn't Chris the main character of Symphogear??

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
My predictions after seeing Centaur's Worries:

The bad guy is 'Pool Pot' a literal pot steaming to get the mushroom ladies thrown into him. It's the Killing Fields by way of Brave Little Toaster.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Knorth posted:

:3:
That was a fun finale, I thought the first half was pretty funny despite some leery framing and the second half was delightful. I'm going to miss the oddly dry way this show handles it's dialogue and punchlines

I really didn't like the first half. It just felt gross. If you're going to insist on having an episode like that, save it for an OVA or something. Overall I've enjoyed Centaur's Worries, but I don't know if I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

AOTS:
1. Princess Principal
2. Symphogear AZX
3. My Hero Academia

Best Girl:
(retired and in the best girl hall of fame: Chris Yukine)
1. Dorothy
2. Nina Drango
3-6 Manami & the Chi-chans

Best Boy:
1. FAVAROOOOOOOO
2. Tenya Iida
3. Eiijiro Kirishima

Best Music:
My Hero Academia

Best Animation:
Shingeki No Bahamut - Virgin Soul

Best Symphogear: